• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eurolines going out of business

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The bus company Eurolines is going out of business after having been acquired, some time ago, by the German company FlixBus.

All activities are planned to end on July 24th.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
FlixBus from Wikipedia

FlixBus does not own any buses and does not employ drivers; its services run in co-operation with regional bus companies.

Created in 1985, the Brand name Eurolines groups 29 independent coach companies operating together Europe's largest regular coach network. This network connects over 1000 destinations, covering the whole of the continent, including Morocco.

So a rebranding exercise with [some of] bus companies still operating.

FlixBus from Wikipedia
FlixBus does not own any buses and does not employ drivers; its services run in co-operation with regional bus companies.
Created in 1985, the Brand name Eurolines groups 29 independent coach companies operating together Europe's largest regular coach network. This network connects over 1000 destinations, covering the whole of the continent, including Morocco.
So a rebranding exercise with [some of] bus companies still operating.
The "tour operator" or "network" Eurolines is ceasing operations. It's not a rebranding exercise. It's not pining for the Fjords. It has been placed in compulsory liquidation. It is an ex- company.

French newspapers state that the court appointed receivers failed to find a buyer for the company and it was placed in compulsory liquidation on 21/July, with operations to cease on 24/Jul. The remaining 36 employees (from a former workforce of over 100) will lose their jobs. As far as I can tell, the website has stopped selling tickets. (At least, it is not offering any tickets for a trip from London to Paris on 23/Jul).

I believe the receivers will now use any remaining company assets to first pay creditors whatever it can. In this situation it's unlikely that there will be any money to compensate people who are holding tickets. But I guess that few people have bought tickets during the recent months of lockdown. I'm not sure how many customers are affected by this.

If you are holding a Eurolines ticket, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do. Since Eurolines' parent company Flixbus is still in business, perhaps it will do something for people who are stranded. I guess there will be announcements about any arrangements.

According to Le Figaro, Eurolines employees speculate that Flixbus wanted Eurolines to fail so that it could get rid of a competitor. Perhaps regulators will have something to say about that. Since other tour companies exist (including Eurolines' parent company ,Flixbus) it seems likely to me that a company (or companies) will fill the gap created by the demise of Eurolines.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A shame, I remember Europabus, its forerunner, being the choice of travel for impoverished students especially for those of us with girlfriends scared of flying and who didn't fancy hitchhiking. A day and a half from London to Malaga in various coaches and I swear the drivers on one leg changed seats as we were going along!
Spent the next two days recovering.

Last edited:
So Flixbus continues to operate?

To restart my current pilgrimage (whenever) is London, UK to Chaumont or Langres, Grand Est, France.

An example: the Flixbus website is taking bookings for early August:
EU 45 London to Langres - depart 10h00 - arrive 07h30 next day for more than 20 hours
(as an aside, cattle class from my home to London takes just a little longer)
Does this seem reasonable, compared to other bus companies?

Alternatively, by rail for early August I can see online a near 6 hour trip, station to station, for EU 132:
EU 87 London to Paris - depart 10h24 - arrive 13h47
EU 47 Paris to Langres - depart 15h12 - arrive 17h56
From Gare du Nord to Gare d'Est should be accomplished in well under 60 minutes

Does anyone know of other possibilities?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The old Asturbus and those bus lines running out of Bilbao and Vitoria were FAMOUS for the one-legged driver exchange. Doing it on a winding road to Covadonga has to be my favorite (and most harrowing) memory. I just told myself at the time "they're professionals...of course they know what they're doing." HAHA!!!!

A shame, I remember Europabus, its forerunner, being the choice of travel for impoverished students especially for those of us with girlfriends scared of flying and who didn't fancy hitchhiking. A day and a half from London to Malaga in various coaches and I swear the drivers on one leg changed seats as we were going along!
Spent the next two days recovering.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back