• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Europe promises to reopen for summer tourism in wake of coronavirus

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The reality is that while most internal European borders will start opening again on June 15th, at first that will be for travelers coming from the EU, Schengen travel zone, and UK -- and possibly a supplemental list of countries with relatively low and declining Covid19 infection numbers ; i.e. clearly not a country like the USA, where the disease is still spreading.

Whereas contrary to the rest of Europe, the borders of Spain and Italy are most likely to remain closed to foreigners beyond June 15th.

The only "promise" I have seen is one from the French Government, stating that "the French" will be able to go on holiday "in France" in July and August.

All this speculation about all things Covid is, for me, getting a bit tedious. The reality is that no one knows what is going to happen and when. Most, if not all of these articles are clickbait filled with might be's and may be's.
It is what it is until its sorted.
EDIT:
This is by no means a criticism of the OP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All this speculation about all things Covid is, for me, getting a bit tedious. The reality is that no one knows what is going to happen and when. Most, if not all of these articles are clickbait filled with might be's and may be's.
It is what it is until its sorted.
@wayfarer, if I could write in Irish, it would translate back as: you have reason with you. Even in French. And in Spanish. Oops! I have just scooped up a couple of chilly flakes from a recipe I was using. Hot! I know, it is tedious. Meanwhile, to keep us happy, so many little surprises are springing up. I got a phone call from the guy who delivers meals from the local community centre, and he handed over a Cocooning Pack. it has a very fine booklet with a range of information to cover free time exercises, learning to use zoom, recipes, input on mental and physical health, a quiz on Dublin, mindfulness mandalas, a pack with a drawing sketch pad, coloured pencils, links to useful phone numbers, a bar of chocolate... and more. I am keeping my eyes on a radius that is not larger than 5km at the moment. There will be a time when we can look beyond.

Today, "El Pais" newspaper (generally a reliable source) summarizes an order published in the Boletín Oficial del Estado: restrictions and controls of non-essential travel to Spain from countries that are members of the European Union and others associated with the Schengen area are extended until June 15th. As a general rule, only Spanish citizens, habitual residents in Spain and residents in other States of the EU or the Schengen area who go to their place of residence may enter Spain. Exceptions are foreseen for health care workers and for humanitarian reasons.
As I understand it, this does not mean that general travel will be allowed after June 15th; it just extends current dispositions.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

But this was also from today...shows how fluid the situation is

If asked my opinion I would say they are being a little over-optomisic. Still we can have fingers crossed!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wonder:

If I swim all the way from home (the oceans are under 2 km from my front door) will they let me in without having to isolate?

Kia kaha tatou (you all take care, be strong, get going when you can)

I hope that Spain opens up the Camino soon. It will be opened, maybe not on my time line, but eventually. So now I must accept the gift of patience. We all must. As followers of Saint James patience is The Way. This covid problem is so complex right now. I just pray that those in a pay grade higher than mine come to a reasonable solution soon. Don't give me false hope. Don't tease me with empty promises. Balance the economic needs against the realistic risks.

But this was also from today...shows how fluid the situation is
And it shows how many opinions there are. The title "Europe promises to reopen for summer tourism in wake of coronavirus" has been making the rounds in the news media because of an interview that Paolo Gentiloni gave to a number of leading newspapers recently. He is not "Europe", he is just one of the EU commissioners and a former Italian Prime Minister among other things. Tourism plays a larger role in the economy of the Southern countries like Italy, Greece and Spain than in the other countries. From what I read, the main focus is currently to open "summer tourism" for the domestic tourists.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Contrary to my earlier comment regarding Italy, it turns out that the country will be opening its borders to travelers from the EU, Schengen travel zone, and UK earlier than other European countries -- on June 3rd.

No quarantine measures are instituted.

The UK has a tradition of ‘going to the pub’ with friends. (other countries are available too)

That all came to a halt with lock down so my friends and I have Friday night ‘Zoom’ video meetings with each of us in our respective home with our favourite tipple (and snacks!).

We talk about who had the least ‘ground hog day’ week (if that makes sense) as there is not a lot of variety, although, England has now relaxed its lock-down a bit more than the rest of the UK.

So, (getting to my point) we had a straw poll asking our little group that if lock-down ended tomorrow, would we rush back to ‘the pub’ potentially not having social distancing respected. Maybe not surprisingly, we all agreed we would not rush back, even when we can do so.

I suspect that most people will take the same view, a little bit at a time.

Having said all that, all 4 of us (my family, not my Friday buddies) still have the 1st week in September planned in our diaries to go back to Spain (we can make very late decisions/bookings etc.).

It might not happen, and we might need to slip the schedule, but we can at least plan……

please enlighten me on Spain opening up to travelers. I suspect this will not be for people from Canada? I cannot see coming there and being quarantined for fourteen days there goes part of your Camino time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The reality is that while most internal European borders will start opening again on June 15th, at first that will be for travelers coming from the EU, Schengen travel zone, and UK -- and possibly a supplemental list of countries with relatively low and declining Covid19 infection numbers ; i.e. clearly not a country like the USA, where the disease is still spreading.

Whereas contrary to the rest of Europe, the borders of Spain and Italy are most likely to remain closed to foreigners beyond June 15th.

The only "promise" I have seen is one from the French Government, stating that "the French" will be able to go on holiday "in France" in July and August.

im in Canada, we have the cdn.pilgrim association, who has been in contact with Spain. Apparently no international travellers into Spain until after October. 😢

please enlighten me on Spain opening up to travelers. I suspect this will not be for people from Canada? I cannot see coming there and being quarantined for fourteen days there goes part of your Camino time.
See below, no international travellers into Spain till after end October and still quarantine may be necessary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
im in Canada, we have the cdn.pilgrim association, who has been in contact with Spain. Apparently no international travellers into Spain until after October. 😢

I don't know about that, but international travelers from within the EU, the Schengen travel area, and the UK are not in the same situation as those from elsewhere.

€83,-
The title "Europe promises to reopen for summer tourism in wake of coronavirus" has been making the rounds in the news media because of an interview that Paolo Gentiloni gave to a number of leading newspapers recently. He is not "Europe", he is just one of the EU commissioners and a former Italian Prime Minister among other things.
Didier Reynders who is another current EU commissioner and also a former minister in Belgian governments gave an interview to leading newspapers a few days ago. Among other things:
  • Right now the European Commission doesn't tell people "there you are, that's what your summer vacation will be like" but rather "this is what looks possible to us if the health situation remains under control".
  • Travel vouchers instead of reimbursements for cancelled flights and package trips may be accepted by consumers voluntarily but must not be forced upon them. Twelve EU countries had tried to push through national legislation to the contrary. He is in the process of dealing with this.
  • There has to be transparency as far as additional costs imposed on the consumer are concerned, such as costs for extra cleaning and protection.
As to the last point, my car was serviced recently and, at home, I noticed two unusual items on the invoice, namely a modest €5 for "disinfection of the car" and then a more substantial item of €26 labelled "protection". I intend to check with them next time I'm there. Just out of curiosity.

A chase for attracting summer tourists has started with the imminent suspension of border controls at numerous borders between EU countries - mainly at the land borders but also at the air borders (in airports). For those holding on to their plane tickets, watch out: You may soon be able to travel and then realise that you don't want to travel right now after all.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back