• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

European electric socket

cdoug1946

do i need a different adaptor for my kindle, camera, and smartphone so i can recharge them? or do i have to go to the company that makes the item and get one for each of them? This really makes me want to downsize if I have to get a different one for each.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
no, you only need one adapter, but why bring 3 devices when the smart phone will do all three jobs? That's a lot of extra crap to carry for no real reason...

Each device has a small transformer that plugs into the wall. In the US the prongs that fit into the wall are flat. Go to Radio Shack or Walmart Etc. to buy an adapter with round plugs. Should cost around $5 or so. I wouln't buy a smart phone just to save weight on the Camino. The cameras in them are quite limited, the screens are small, and the batteries have to be charged often, especially if you use them for several things. However if you have one already it may replace those three devices.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
vagabondette said:
no, you only need one adapter, but why bring 3 devices when the smart phone will do all three jobs? That's a lot of extra crap to carry for no real reason...
If you're a keen photographer, the smart phone's camera isn't up to the job. A Kindle? I would have loved one in May on the VdlP when it rained every day, and you can't buy a book or paper in English anywhere close by!
Buen camino! Be safe ... be happy!
Stephen

I was told that you can save power on your Kindle by turning off its Wi-Fi and 3G connections. It should then last for about a month at 30 mins reading per day. Our camera used standard AA batteries but we carried an EU adaptor (UK to Spain etc) for our phones. Very lightweight and we shared it. One should be enough unless you need to charge evrything together and even then you cannot realistically expect to find 3 sockets. I have never seen a multiple socketed adaptor, but one would be great if it existed.
Buen Camino

Stephen Nicholls said:
vagabondette said:
If you're a keen photographer, the smart phone's camera isn't up to the job. A Kindle? I would have loved one in May on the VdlP when it rained every day, and you can't buy a book or paper in English anywhere close by!
Buen camino! Be safe ... be happy!
Stephen

Depends on the phone. Mine has an 8 MP camera that offers pretty much all the options of my point and shoot and gives great quality pics. Would I blow them up to poster size? No, but I wouldn't do that with a point and shoot either. They work great for what I want them for and if I wanted better I'd carry a SLR which is a whole different discussion. So, depending on the phone and the intended purpose of the pics, a smart phone might be just fine for a camera. Also, I use mine as my e-reader so no need to carry a kindle. My battery also lasts about 12 hours as long as I have the blue tooth/wifi off and not a lot of random apps running. I tend to turn it off when I'm not actively using it. Yes, my camera might last a bit longer, but then I'd have to carry a bunch of extra stuff so I'll just stick with my one device that does pretty much everything I need. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you can charge all of them through a USB port, all you need is a plug adapter for France/Spain with a USB connection. You won't need anything that adapts a U.S. plug to the European plug. There are a lot of them available on eBay.

wdbillingsley said:
Go to Radio Shack or Walmart Etc. to buy an adapter with round plugs. Should cost around $5 or so.
You will be much cheaper off by going to any hardware shop in Spain and buy the US-EU plug adapter. Less then 1 Euro :roll:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a question about this power converting issue: do our US cell phones actually require the power conversion as well as the adaptor to the Euopean outlet? or just the adaptor to the outlet? Thanks!

Going to depend on your phone charger.

Look at the charger. You should see something that mentions 110V or maybe 100V. If there is a second part that is 220V or 240V then you only need a plug adapter.

So if you see

100-240V that's worldwide.

You need to see either 220V or 240V for Europe. Look for the 220V

OTOH if you see just

110V (Or maybe 120V) then it's Northern American only.

If this sounds like giberish post the numbers on the charger. It may mention input.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At least for the iphone and the Kindle, all you need is the plug adapter, as the transformer is in the base.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.