• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Euskera

cbarua

Hi everyone!
Am so enjoying reading through the forums. :D

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to learn Euskera (Basque). I can speak Spanish, so I am thinking of learning a bit of Basque before starting my Camino in April 2008. Has anyone ever come across any free websites where I could download Euskera lessons onto my iPod; or knows of any CDs? I am guessing that Basque could be useful on the Camino, but also am interested because I would like to spend some time in Viscaya after my Camino.

By the way vinotinto, sillydoll, Brendan, lillypond, javier......and everyone else I see regularly....you give so much to our Caminos...thank you again and again....

Buen Camino to all,
Clarisa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
http://www.boga.habe.org/Inicio_i.asp the official government institute for promoting the Basque language

The main problem with Basque is that it's unrelated to any other language, so you don't have the points of reference you have learning other European languages. And unlike most Euro languages, it's agglutinative, so Donostiara = to Donostia (San Sebastian), Donostiatik = from Donostia, and so on. I used the Routledge course, though my aim was more academic - getting to know the structure of the language - rather than because I actually wanted to communicate with anyone in it. You won't 'need' it on the Camino, though you will probably astound the Basques if you can hold even a basic conversation in it :) Might well open a few doors . . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Sil and Peter,

Will try the habe boga site first which has an office in Sydney and which appears to send you stuff for free. If not might buy the lingua one Sil sent.

From what you say Peter, reminds it me of learning Indonesian eg bantu = help, penbantu = helper and so on. I am aware that Basque is difficult and that I would have to do a lot of memorizing....good for my memory...and also what a unique language it is. Also the pronunciation looks difficult...some new sounds. If it opens a door to teaching English in Vizcaya then that would be great. :D

Thanks again,
Clarisa

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think the pronunciation is reasonably straightforward - once you work out that 'x' is like English 'sh' and 'tx' is like 'ch' in 'church'.

And I don't know that Basque is particularly difficult in itself - if so, children would take longer to learn it than other languages - it's just different, and requires getting your head round different ways of putting things, different word order, verb forms, etc

See if you can find a Basque in Adelaide, and invite them to dinner - much the best way to learn ;-)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back