• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carbon vs aluminum hiking poles: experiences and recommendations

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte - May 2022
I'm doing my first Camino this April/May (El Norte), and researching which poles to purchase. Obviously lots of info on this Forum, which has been very helpful! I've pretty much decided on the Black Diamond FLZ poles, but cannot decide whether to spend the extra money to get carbon vs aluminum. I like the fact that the carbon is a bit lighter (11.7 oz vs 16 oz for aluminum), but I've read that the carbon can snap or break under pressure, whereas aluminum will only bend, and can usually be bent back into place. What I can't seem to find are any actual examples of someone's carbon pole breaking while on a Camino. Would be a real bummer, especially after having paid more money - but if it's very unlikely to happen with the hiking I'll be doing, I might be willing to spend more on something that's lighter weight. Anyone had it happen?
Thanks
Ann

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aluminium tube poles will bend under sufficient pressure and the tubing will kink. It can be reformed around an appropriate shaped tapered former by someone in possession of the appropriate shaped former and a blow-torch. Not common baggage items for your average peregrino; or stock in those places in the sticks that hammer bent tractors back into functional shape.

Carbon fibre poles can indeed de-structure under sufficient pressure and the broken weave is irreparable. It takes a huge amount of pressure to achieve that under normal usage - pole-vaulting is not advised - full bodyweight in a stumble or tumble should not be a problem. Slamming one end in a car door or continuing forward when the pole foot has slipped down a storm-drain grating is not advised.

I just cut a suitable stick from a hedgerow and recycle as necessary. Please note this may not be possible on the Camino Frances because the Tinkers (and the guys in every pueblo who sell walking sticks have cut every suitable twig).

I bought rather expensive Black Diamond poles for my first Camino in 2012. I got the lightest carbon-fibre folding ones. I have used them on 7 Caminos since, plus occasionally at home, and have been totally satisfied. I am not a large person and have never tried to stop a dramatic fall with my poles, so I can't guarantee how strong they are. Eventually something will go wrong with them, but I will replace them with similar. The compactness and light weight are important to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Carbon or aluminum, expensive or budget. They all are adequate for the light duty they get from walking the Camino. Mine look the same on kilometre 800 that they did on kilometre 1 lol. Highly unlikely you will break or bend any of them. About the only thing that gets any wear and tear on a set of trekking poles is the rubber tip pads. I always bring 3-4 extra pairs.

Aluminium tube poles will bend under sufficient pressure and the tubing will kink. It can be reformed around an appropriate shaped tapered former by someone in possession of the appropriate shaped former and a blow-torch. Not common baggage items for your average peregrino; or stock in those places in the sticks that hammer bent tractors back into functional shape.

Carbon fibre poles can indeed de-structure under sufficient pressure and the broken weave is irreparable. It takes a huge amount of pressure to achieve that under normal usage - pole-vaulting is not advised - full bodyweight in a stumble or tumble should not be a problem. Slamming one end in a car door or continuing forward when the pole foot has slipped down a storm-drain grating is not advised.

I just cut a suitable stick from a hedgerow and recycle as necessary. Please note this may not be possible on the Camino Frances because the Tinkers (and the guys in every pueblo who sell walking sticks have cut every suitable twig).
Hmm! I thought the Tinker clans preferred hawthorn for their cudgels and not some old bean pole fit for pilgies :) :)

Having worked as a Social Worker with the Travelling People , I got to like them and found their history quite fascinating.

I've carved my own staves now from Welsh Ash but will have to lighten them a bit and may cut them in two with brass connecting bits, so as to fit them for hold luggage. A glassmaker friend of mine made me some Camino signs for them and I have cunning rune signs hidden in them as well as chanted wonderful words :)

Walk soft and yes, don't get stuck in cobbles

:) :)

Samarkand.

I don’t have carbon poles but I’ve had my Black Diamond aluminum Z poles bend sufficiently while saving me from an unpleasant enough fall (not camino related) that I was glad they were aluminum and not carbon. They bent and recovered beautifully - no need to straighten. I’m not at home now so can’t check but I’ve noticed the weights given by the OP; I may be wrong but I recall the difference in weight between the carbon and aluminum to be little enough to be not worth the trade off.

And Tinker, I love that you fashion a stick from a hedgerow but I like my foldable poles. That way I can stow them in my pack when I’ve got where I’m going and retrieve them again when I’m ready to head home; in the meantime, they’re out of my way. 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm doing my first Camino this April/May (El Norte), and researching which poles to purchase. Obviously lots of info on this Forum, which has been very helpful! I've pretty much decided on the Black Diamond FLZ poles, but cannot decide whether to spend the extra money to get carbon vs aluminum. I like the fact that the carbon is a bit lighter (11.7 oz vs 16 oz for aluminum), but I've read that the carbon can snap or break under pressure, whereas aluminum will only bend, and can usually be bent back into place. What I can't seem to find are any actual examples of someone's carbon pole breaking while on a Camino. Would be a real bummer, especially after having paid more money - but if it's very unlikely to happen with the hiking I'll be doing, I might be willing to spend more on something that's lighter weight. Anyone had it happen?
Thanks
Ann
Tubes are strong in one direction only, longitudinally. Apply a force at 90 degrees to that and initially they will bend, which is reversible, then they will buckle and kink, which is not.

Ditto carbon poles other than that they do not buckle or kink; they snap.

In normal use both are fine. It’s the traumatic event of a fall or the pole being trapped in a slot whilst you over-bend it which will cause it to fail.

Pay your money, take your choice - bearing in mind that your ultra-light poles spend a considerable portion of their working life resting on the floor.

Thanks
Ann
I have used BD carbon poles on the camino for 10 years on different caminos and my one of my first pair from 2011 broke last year. It did not actually break but the system of collapsing did not work any longer. At home I have used the FLZ poles, a bit heavier, for years as well. I do a couple of hours tour at home in the hills with poles all the year. Only change when the snow becomes too heavy or when I go skiiing with longer poles. It is up to you with the weight difference. My concern on the camino is thunder. Do not think carbon is better in a heavy lightening situation.The best with both mine is that you can collaps them and bring them with you anywhere. You do not have to leave them outside or in a common box at the albergues. My suggestion is , if you want the carbon, buy them if you are going to use them after your camino, if not , keep to yhe FZL, they are lighter than most other poles anyway

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have lightweight aluminium poles since 2014, I had carbon previously but it was this question about them breaking which encouraged me to change, overcautious? Definitely! But you never know whats going to happen+ I find any excuse to buy new gear ;)

I have the BD aluminum poles and I think they are great. No problems at all.
I have been a professional light tackle fishing guide for 30+ years and have used carbon fiber rods for my clients and myself. Never had one snap, even in the hands of the worst fishermen you could imagine.
I think you are safe choosing either material. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks
Ann
I’ve walked with the Black Diamond Z pole since my first Camino and love it. Bought it in 2014, it folds and is aluminum. There have been some issues with expensive poles walking away. As I enter the town I plan to stop in, I fold mine up and put them in my pack. Never leave them with the pile at the door. Have a terrific Camino!

I did snap the very end off my carbon pole once. The BD FLK-Z … and I was fortunate to have them replaced by MEC after the incident.
I actually fell, quite hard, on ice, and was in a very sorry state for about 2 months afterward. Unable to get myself up all on my own steam, I planted my right pole for assistance and made it up, but the pole did not survive the pressure and snapped right at the point where the snow basket nylon casing around the pole ended.
That was an *exceptional* experience that has not repeated in 6 or so years and roughly 18000k of use of the poles (I use my poles on every daily walk to take impact/pressure off my lumbar spine).
So… yes, they can snap, but no, they are not likely to snap.

Thanks
Ann
I’ve used the same pair of aluminum Black Diamond poles for more than 6,000 miles (Appalachian Trail, Via Francigena, Paris-Norte-Primitivo) and will use them this spring Gibraltar-Santiago. Several people on the AT told me their carbon fiber poles snapped towards the bottom within a month or so (granted, the AT is far more rugged than any Camino). Each abrasion against a rock cuts through some fibers. Do this repeatedly and the pole weakens enough to snap. The difference in weight is immaterial. Think of it as toning the upper body.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've used the same Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z carbon poles on several caminos with no problems. I'd suggest don't forget to buy rubber tips for the poles. They protect your tips and cut down on annoying noise when you are walking on pavement. (Annoying to yourself and others.) They are easy to slip on and off and I find myself doing that a lot. I keep them in the little zipper pockets on my backpack waist strap.

Thanks
Ann
Had no issues with my Black Diamond aluminum poles on the Camino Frances, but I would definitely take extra rubber tips!! Street grates have been known to swallow the tips !! Decathelon had a nice selection of rubber tips!!

I was clumsy enough to drop a fibre pole over a hole in the ground like a little bridge and then step on that bridge with all my 90 kg weight. The pole was good as new.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've used the same Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z carbon poles on several caminos with no problems. I'd suggest don't forget to buy rubber tips for the poles. They protect your tips and cut down on annoying noise when you are walking on pavement. (Annoying to yourself and others.) They are easy to slip on and off and I find myself doing that a lot. I keep them in the little zipper pockets on my backpack waist strap.
Wynrich, which tips do you use? I’ve read here that it can be difficult to get ones that stay on the BD poles, and can be removed easily.

Wynrich, which tips do you use? I’ve read here that it can be difficult to get ones that stay on the BD poles, and can be removed easily.
I used the Black Diamond Rubber Tips, but Decathelon sold rubber tips that fit and they were larger than the Black Diamond Tips. And I agree that non-tipped poles make a very annoying sound for the other Pilgrims waking nearby.

Last edited:
I've used Black Diamond carbon poles for many years and thousands of miles. I've broken about 3, always my fault and from a strong sideways blow. Once I tripped over my own poles, kicking one and breaking it (they still moderated my fall). Once by sticking it in a hole in the ground and pushing forward, and once putting it in the back of my car and throwing my pack on top of it. I'm a total supporter of those poles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also: take very small pliers to loosen your carbon tips, or even the hard rubber tips (when you wear them out and need to put on new ones). I did not have pliers on my second camino and I had to ask the help of one of those bicycle support vehicles to loosen them!!!
Those tips that screw in (not the rubber cups that can go over them) are not super tight when you put them on, but by the ned of about 30 minutes, they are far too tight for human hands to unthread without assistance. I now carry a flat, small bicycle tool that is made for loosening small nuts. Works a charm, weighs about an ounce and sits completely flat in my hip pocket of my pack.
Mine is similar to the one shown here, and I pop the tip into the hex circle until it has a tight grip, then turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Annmte, you know I'm not 100% sure. It's been a while since I bought them. But I think they were the Black Diamond brand tips. They never came off on their own, but I was careful not to use them in rocky areas and to avoid grates. I agree with others above that it's a good idea to take an extra pair along. I've never done that but think I'll do it on the next camino.

Thanks
Ann
I had a carbon pole snap. I left my poles leaning against a cafe table and my friend didn't see them as she was leaving our table and step on my pole and snapped it in two. The cafe owner went out to his shed and jammed the poles together, so I was able to use it for the rest of the camino but it wouldn't collapse for storage. When I got back home I took it to REI and they replaced them for me, no questions asked.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had bought an Austrian brand carbon pair (expensive) one summer about 30 years ago. We were doing some serious mountain hiking. One of the poles bent signifcantly on a very steep incline. Thankfully we were ascending! Never bought carbon poles again.

@malingerer, it’s long been suggested that a Hawthorn stock can bring an argument to a conclusion far more concisely than an Oxbridge education. I’m still inclined to carry a stave to lean on rather than bear the weight of an incontrovertible argument 😉
a stave can carry weight if you use it like a Chinese coolie would i.e. a weight on either end of the stave, perhaps the Ox bridge on one end and the argument on the other. :) Methinks this post could spiral into wonderful contortions :)

Samarkand.

Thanks
Ann
The inner plastic connectors of the Black Diamond FLZ poles can and do break, as it did for me on the Norte. They are great poles that have served me well but you should be aware that it is inherent in the design.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The inner plastic connectors of the Black Diamond FLZ poles can and do break, as it did for me on the Norte. They are great poles that have served me well but you should be aware that it is inherent in the design.
Do you mean the flexible nylon cords? They are casing for the aeronautical steel cables inside the poles and I’ve never known them to actually tear, crack etc. But they do detatch.
We thought that had happened recently with Spouse’s FLK-Z carbon poles… we were out walking and the bottom unit came undone.
It took a little googling on the webs…. And abut an hour of patient fishing, but we found the connector up inside the shaft, hooked it (On a meat skewer that we bent for the job) and pulled it down, re-threaded the bottom piece into it, fiddled a little with the tightness…
Bob’s your uncle.
Now we know to check the threading mechanism regularly.

Black diamond sells rubber tips on their site. I think they’re $6 or $7 per pair.

My Black Diamond poles came with two sets of tips — a “carbide tip” and a “rubber tip.”

They are not easy to change, in fact I had to take mine into REI to find someone who could use pliers and get the ”rubber tips” off.

I think most people walking the camino with poles envisions having a pointed metal tip for walking on natural terrain, and a noise-silencing rubber tip that you can pop on and off easily as you walk into town. The “rubber tips” that came with my poles serve neither of those functions.

My solution has been to put the “carbide tips” on the poles and cover them with a standard rubber tip. The last time I went looking for them, Black Diamond did not make any that fit their FLZ poles. Most standard rubber tips were a bit loose on the BD poles, so I had to pad the pole shaft with duct tape. Not elegant, but worked fine. Once or twice I had to change the duct tape, but no big deal.

I see that BD now sells what they call “tip protectors”. I would call them “rubber tips.” The explanatory text specifically says that they fit on FLZ poles (unlike other tip protectors they sell, but the BD website also says they are out of stock.

Who ever thought a simple issue like rubber tips on hiking sticks could be so complicated?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My solution has been to put the “carbide tips” on the poles and cover them with a standard rubber tip. The last time I went looking for them, Black Diamond did not make any that fit their FLZ poles. Most standard rubber tips were a bit loose on the BD poles, so I had to pad the pole shaft with duct tape. Not elegant, but worked fine. Once or twice I had to change the duct tape, but no big deal.
That's exactly my experience, too, except for the last sentence. My current tips are so fused onto the pole (with duct tape under them) that I don't know if I'll be able to get them off!) I am afraid to take the heroic measures to remove them until they need to be changed.

Edited: I lied 🤥. I hadn't tried very hard and was able to remove the rubber tips, with no evidence of duct tape underneath.

Last edited:
I never have had my carbon poles, Black Diamond Z-poles give me any issues, not in the rocky mountains of Colorado, where I do about 8 high-altitude climbs/per summer, nor over many Caminos in the 8 years I've owned them. I am not a large person, but neither have I fallen hard on them. I have gotten them caught on rocks, without an issue. For me, carbon poles are worth the price, but it is an individual decision. My aging body appreciates every ounce of weight loss, especially when doing the climbs I do, with significant elevations changes. The uphills take every ounce of my energy and the downhills are brutal, necessitating the poles. It all matters, at least to me!

My current tips are so fused onto the pole (with duct tape under them) that I don't know if I'll be able to get them off!) I am afraid to take the heroic measures to remove them until they need to be changed.
So does this mean that you always walk with those rubber tips? I would think that there were some stretches on the Mozárabe where you would very much have liked to have something that could dig into the ground to give you some stability. I know that on the Salvador this year, I was very glad I could pull off the rubber tips.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So does this mean that you always walk with those rubber tips?
The only time I have wanted to remove the rubber tips was at home on ice last week. That is how I discovered they were so firmly attached!

Edited to clarify - By "rubber tips" I mean the bigger overshoes like the image, not the little screwed-in tips that I have never removed.

Attachments

• 618pj8afWkL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    618pj8afWkL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The rubber tips that come with the Black Diamond Z-poles are impossible to remove without a pliers. After many days on the camino, and the pavement walking, they wear down to nothing, as we found out and then started the annoying "clacking." When they are worn down, they are really, really difficult to remove. So, after replacing them, we just left them on, and over the top placed the ubiquitous and clunky rubber "shoes." On paths we would pop the shoes off, and even though we didn't have the cutting edge, it was pointed enough to just use that way.

Anyone had it happen?
Crossed the Alps this year in a guided group. As it was necessary to bring poles we had a chat with our guide over poles. He is a full time hiking guide with jobs in Finland, Austria, Italy, Greece, France, Germany, Spain, Madagascar.

His opinion as we chatted on the hut the first evening: if you look for every gram / ounce in your equipment, carbon is your choice. But they break faster in colder conditions (i.e. Alps, high mountains, Finland) and you have to take care that they aren't damaged at all. As long as their outer layer is damaged, the risk of breaking is very high. After several damaged carbon fibre poles (some of them broke) he uses Aluminium Poles again.

The cheaper Aluminium / Aluminum Poles can handle damages better. He was impressed by my 30€ poles (foldable) that he couldn't push down. He checked each and every pole before we started the first ascent and found some with locks that didn't match the weight of the Hiker.

HTH

BC
Roland

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought carbon fiber poles on the Camino twice. They snapped. I brought carbon fiber poles on the JMT once and they snapped. Cheaper poles the better, sort of. Now I am a large male (200 lbs.) and can at sometimes be described as a “bull in a China shop” so YMMV.

As far as the rubber tips I put on… most are useless. Seriously, for me, the standard rubber tips you buy on Amazon, that come in like packs of six, well they give you six for a reason… they suck and last like 50 miles or less. You gotta get the big ones. Like $10 for a pair. Last year I bought them in a nice shop in SJPdP, the lady said they last for 1000 miles…. I bought the second pair in Astorga at that cool place with the big backpack… so not quite 1000 miles but better than 50!

I believe my poles cost $10 a piece, in SJPdP,. Because I buy them in Europe to avoid any questions about “poles on a plane” and throw them away later anyways. IMO spending a lot on trekking poles is a waste.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.