• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Every Girl's Crazy Bout A Sharp dressed Man

Time of past OR future Camino
planning for spring 2018
Hi all; I have a clothing question. A while back a hiking buddy of mine told me that my hiking shirts were old fashioned. I had to admit he was right. I tend to wear a ubiquitous checkered shirt from places like Eddie Bauer or REI, either synthetic or a cotton/ synthetic blend. I was looking at some El Camino youtubes and I didn't see very many guys wearing that kind of shirt. I don't want to be a total fossil on the El Camino, so I though a light colored somewhat baggy caftan-like shirt might be better. Any suggestions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all; I have a clothing question. A while back a hiking buddy of mine told me that my hiking shirts were old fashioned. I had to admit he was right. I tend to wear a ubiquitous checkered shirt from places like Eddie Bauer or REI, either synthetic or a cotton/ synthetic blend. I was looking at some El Camino youtubes and I didn't see very many guys wearing that kind of shirt. I don't want to be a total fossil on the El Camino, so I though a light colored somewhat baggy caftan-like shirt might be better. Any suggestions.

No one cares what you wear. Function and comfort.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of my kids gave me an "Authentic Fossil" keychain one father's day. I carry it proudly. Being a fossil has nothing to do with Camino clothing. You don't want to take anything made of cotton. Its to heavy, and it takes too long to dry. For base layer, spring the extra money for merino wool, its almost magical in terms of wicking sweat as I discovered. You can also wear it for a few days without it starting to smell.....uh....manly. Pure synthetics are a great second choice, and great for a fleece hoodie or other mid layer. REI has a decent selection of these, look for "Technical" in the title.

Buen Camino!

Who cares what you wear , it's all about comfort.
It has to do the trick so to speak.

Wish you well,Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Running tops are good. I also have a long sleeved white Adidas footballer's shirt for truly scorchio weather, that covers my hands up.

All Spanish pilgrims dress head to toe in Kalenji / Quechua own-brand stuff from Decathlon, so if you really want to fit in with the in-crowd, go that way.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

This is the rule I play by when backpacking, hiking, or walking: Function over Form.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sometimes looking good helps one feel good! Cant really comment on men's attire but i think rolled-up long sleeves always looks nice. Or a well fitting t-shirt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good God. That brings back memories lol
I was just thinking the same thing! I remember the song, I remember streaking as a fad, I remember a reemergence of the fad a few years back!

Form over function, but don't you all think that the OP just hasn't come clean with his true motivations?

1. Looking for love on the Camino!

2. A true appreciation for ZZ Top, not a bad thing.

Just my two cents, and I bet I've nailed this one.

Hi all; I have a clothing question. A while back a hiking buddy of mine told me that my hiking shirts were old fashioned.
Decades ago in USA there was a fad associated with "Real men don't eat quiche." I tried to make a bumper-sticker saying "Real men don't let others tell them what to eat." Same principle applies to clothing.

Look for me on the Camino: bald guy, ZZ Top beard, bright green bell bottoms with white stripes, clodhoppers, multi-cooler Mexican shirt, leather whip at the hip. (Just kidding, but I did wear that once or twice in college in 1974.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sure you'll stand out in a caftan style shirt though I can't quite picture it.
Have you also considered the need for a travel iron and coat hangers? Too many people are setting off each morning without paying proper attention to collars and cuffs in my opinion.

I well remember my first Camino, some years ago, when I carried a smoothing iron and a makeshift ironing board. Sartorial standards have slipped since then and I confess I now follow the wrinkled shirt brigade and go for the casual crumpled look.
As long as you and your raiment are clean it doesn't matter how you look.

Running tops are good. I also have a long sleeved white Adidas footballer's shirt for truly scorchio weather, that covers my hands up.

All Spanish pilgrims dress head to toe in Kalenji / Quechua own-brand stuff from Decathlon, so if you really want to fit in with the in-crowd, go that way.

Hahaha
That's not true In my case trousers (trangoworld) , boots (Chiruca) and underwear (?) are not Kalenji/Chiruca.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is funny how hiking fashion changes over the years but then I suppose this applies to all fashion/clothes. I have pictures on my wall at work of workers in the factory and outside in the 1930s wearing jackets and ties to do moderately heavy manual labour. The same applies to hiking and people want the latest thing, now comfort at any cost seems the way people go. I see the sense in this but most of the Caminos are series of walks from town/village to town/village and jungle/mountain gear is not necessary. Perhaps not a suit and tie but anything you would wear to do the gardening at the weekend could be considered adequate if not ideal

:eek::rolleyes::cool:.... a troll maybe ? Suggest camino not thecplace for anyone worrying about fashion

I was just thinking the same thing! I remember the song, I remember streaking as a fad, I remember a reemergence of the fad a few years back!

Form over function, but don't you all think that the OP just hasn't come clean with his true motivations?

1. Looking for love on the Camino!

2. A true appreciation for ZZ Top, not a bad thing.

Just my two cents, and I bet I've nailed this one.
I think you may be right.
Looking for love on the Camino?
That's a a lot of trouble to put yourself through to find love.
On the other hand, one can have a lot of inexpensive dates lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was always dressed for dinner..
13769378_10153559061186783_311976755007570471_n.jpg

Who cares what you wear , it's all about comfort.
I was in the church at Carrion de los Condes one afternoon when I noticed that a funeral service was going to be held. I left but when I went back it was in time to see the coffin being carried out. One of the pallbearers was wearing a tee-shirt that was printed to resemble a tuxedo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Why on earth are you letting yourself be bothered about what other people think about what you wear. If your clothes itch, or getting smelly, ditch them. Get functional , not trendy....

BTW - get a new hiking buddy.. this one talks too much rubbish...

edit PS I am an old fossil myself and I am not likely to get a toss what I wear, nop less what you wear !!

Last edited:

If you are interested in impressing the women on the Camino, based on pictures and reactions to them on a Facebook page that shall remain nameless, Spandex bicycle wear seems to get the most positive reactions--even from tired female pilgrims.

If you are interested in impressing the women on the Camino, based on pictures and reactions to them on a Facebook page that shall remain nameless, Spandex bicycle wear seems to get the most positive reactions--even from tired female pilgrims.
I keep coming across comments that a kilt attracts women's attention but I can't remember reading a comment by a man who wore a kilt that that was the case. :confused: Is the wearing of a kilt a secret that those men want to keep to themselves?

You know, its true, if you search you tube for el camino you won't find too many plaid shirts from REI. I did see one. But I am not sure that YouTube would be your best guide.

Were you thinking full length caftan? It would be comfy in the hot weather!

€46,-
I keep coming across comments that a kilt attracts women's attention but I can't remember reading a comment by a man who wore a kilt that that was the case. :confused: Is the wearing of a kilt a secret that those men want to keep to themselves?
Somewhere around 1.5 million women watch the TV show Outlander on the STARZ channel.
25 million Outlander books have been sold.
So yes, I think those guys wearing kilts are keeping it a secret lol

if the weather's right, blazer and collared shirt is in order

no need to startle the locals with everest base camp hiking gear

and,

even if you cannot smell it, it may smell... hygiene! (please)
I'm treating myself to bringing a pair of jeans to wear out at night.
Right now my bag weighs 16 pounds ( 7 kg )

I'm treating myself to bringing a pair of jeans to wear out at night.
Right now my bag weighs 16 pounds ( 7 kg )
Hey, you look great, and jeans are just awesome. I think you should do what makes you happy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ha ha, sure!

And I'm carrying 12 pounds....
I give so much credit to women. It's gotta be tougher.
70% of the things a man has to carry are the same weight as what a women has to carry. I'm 6'2, 200 pounds and would never want to carry 20 pounds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For hot days I have a very old long sleeved dull grey shirt I bought in India for about $1:00. The long sleeves are to stop sunburn on my arms. On cooler days I have a choice of one of two beat up old short sleeved t-shirts. For trousers, I have one pair of long blue jeans or a choice of two pairs of shorts - one very faded and the other which still has a bit of solid black on it for formal occasions. I have a baseball cap to which I can attach a flap at the back to keep the sun off my neck - the cap is horribly stained by long-term perspiration developed on the Meseta but no one seems to care very much.

All good!

@Jersey -- I'm 5'7" one hundred and plenty, and carry about 18 pounds. I am a very large strong woman, however, and am in no way challenged ; )
Yes but you have experience over me on the Camino.
You are much more aware of what your limits are.
I would love to carry a few more shirts but I'm trying to be cautious.
If I see I'm having no problem you will find me at the t-shirt shop lol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't wear a kilt but I sometimes don my older sister's pleated skirt from her Catholic school days.

The cool kids here are all dressing like Cristiano Ronaldo - black or white tights, gym shorts, and athletic shirts. Add a man bun and no one will ever call you a fossil again!

View attachment 34506
I have two man buns that follow me around and I ain't about to show them to anyone.

Oh, dear...my mother taught me to say nothing if I couldn't be kind...Just the same, do try to have a good camino.

I looked for some time for a nice men's hiking kilt. I only found some carpenter's work kilts. Bad*ss, but far too heavy for long hiking. I think it would comfortable and if you're going to do it, the Camino is the place. No one is going to judge.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm a guy who has started a few male fashions in my time, I walked around with my shirt tail out years before it was fashionable, Grunge has always been my style, and the unshaven stubbled look is still my trademark. Smart casual for me is a t-shirt without canteen medals and shorts without paint stains.

Of course on the camino I'm not as well dressed as that.

it is true, no one really cares what you wear. I heard that before I left but then I really understood it when I was there and walking. No one cares at all. Then pretty soon I didn't care - even pitched some of my make up. Didn't need it. I have always been partial to long sleeve flannel type shirts. So I took my lightweight cotton long sleeve shirt. Most gals I met had sports shirts or those types of shirts...but it didn't matter. I was comfortable with my mine. Although I am glad it wasn't too rainy all the time because it didn't dry out very quick. Poor choice in that regard, but if I had to do it over, I'd still take it! :)

Attachments

• get compostela resized.jpg
    get compostela resized.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45
I give so much credit to women. It's gotta be tougher.
70% of the things a man has to carry are the same weight as what a women has to carry. I'm 6'2, 200 pounds and would never want to carry 20 pounds.
?!? I'm 62 years old, 1.78 m, 84 kg, and I have had more than twenty kilos on my back. But it was not fun!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The best item of clothing that I took with me was a super-wool T-shirt. It dries quickly and smells better than synthetic equivalents. A lot of people here say that they don't care how you dress. But I wonder what they would say if you asked them whether they care how you smell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bring two tee shirts; one green and one purple. Nobody will agree with me, but I dont like long sleeves when it's hot, I hate the feel of techwear and I might be the only person in the world who finds merino wool to be itchy. My tee shirts are mostly polyester with a little cotton; they're cheap and they dry fast enough. (I think LLBean and some others sell something of similar fabric called something like "Dri-Release" but it costs six times more.) I do bring REI (polyester) long underwear top and bottoms for the occasional cold weather. They feel cottony to me. Oh, and a lightweight dress for the evening :)

I like permanent-press, long-sleeved blouses. They dry quickly and can be worn on cool days as well as hot. No t-shirts for me. They are heavier than blouses and take longer to dry.

I like permanent-press, long-sleeved blouses. They dry quickly and can be worn on cool days as well as hot. No t-shirts for me. They are heavier than blouses and take longer to dry.
You need to get the really CHEAP tee shirts. They are only 25% cotton, are cool and they dry quick.cheap tee shirt.JPG

I know you mean well, but I don't like wearing t-shirts. I look fat in them and they don't have long sleeves that I can roll up. I also don't like contributing to the cheap, factory clothing businesses, like H&M, Primark, etc.
I will stick with my blouses, 1 of which I have been wearing for about 15 years, the other 2 about 5 years. Cheap t-shirts don't last.

I know you mean well, but I don't like wearing t-shirts. I look fat in them and they don't have long sleeves that I can roll up. I also don't like contributing to the cheap, factory clothing businesses, like H&M, Primark, etc.
I will stick with my blouses, 1 of which I have been wearing for about 15 years, the other 2 about 5 years. Cheap t-shirts don't last.

You do you, and I respect your reasons! A perma-pressed blouse with roll-up sleeves in the heat sounds like torture to me, but everybody finds what works best for them. For me, cheap tee shirts last long enough for me to finally forget them on a clothesline somewhere and leave without them.

€60,-
After seen so many posts about trends in Camino things, maybe we can suggest to @ivar a yearly fashion show in Compostela, with the likes of Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid and friends sporting the latest on backpacks, poles, blouses and boots. It may be a hit with the media, and many big companies could be interested...:D

After seen so many posts about trends in Camino things, maybe we can suggest to @ivar a yearly fashion show in Compostela, with the likes of Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid and friends sporting the latest on backpacks, poles, blouses and boots. It may be a hit with the media, and many big companies could be interested...:D
Maybe Lady GaGa could model @t2andreo's umbella hat.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back