• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

LIVE from the Camino Everything you taught me is working

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
Then you learn again.
The temperatures of 93 (33c) and 98 ( 36) degrees are quite draining. Bad foot cramps and thigh cramps, not related to fatigue, convinced me to get electrolytes powder and Powerade.
The albergues at Orisson, Roncesvalles, Larrosoanna ( San Nicolas) Cizur Menur ( Mirabel) definately thr Camino angel! Have all been clean well kept bug free and wonderful
My body is loving it and 26 km is eadily do-able
The Camino friends are diverse. I currently walk with a Japanese woman, Dutch, Italian, and meeting up with our Australian, German, French, and Canadian friends. Between us someone can always find a way to communicate.
Thank you all for the prep
Nanc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the update Nanc - glad to hear everything is going so well. We leave Australia tomorrow and start our Camino 10 Sept - the heat is quite unexpected and I am hoping it cools signicantly! Buen Camino!

Thank you all. Having a banana every morning already (syates you taught me that early on) and a commercial magnesiun drink in addtion to electrolytes help alot. And you're right; had almost 4 liters one day and still ended it dehydrated!
Trying right now not to get sucked into some's schedule- she had only 28 days. So learning to walk mine. Today they headed on to Cirauqui while I detoured to Sante Maria de Enuate. My bed waits for me
Havent seen current temp in Obamos but felt like in 90's again. Lots sock changing and foot care necessary, but all you have said working. Gracias

You are spot on, regarding ensuring that you take in electrolytes, whether in the form of natural foods, like bananas, or runner's electrolyte replacement solution added to water. The general rule is to drink lots of water and repeat. But, you CAN flush the essential salts from your body and inadvertently do harm, or worse. It has been known to happen to some extreme athletes.

So, drink, drink, drink. But, do remember to add nutritional salts and minerals to the intake.

Also, if you can no longer urinate on whatever passes for a normal schedule for you, you are getting dehydrated. Your body conserves the liquid it has available. One of the first things it does is retain the liquid internally, by not sending it to your kidneys for excretion.

One of the symptoms of not hydrating enough is dark yellow urine. A well-hydrated person should be producing clear(ish) urine, not totally clear mind you. RELATIVELY SPEAKING, the darker the urine is, the more you need to hydrate. However, all peoples metabolisms are different. You need to listen and pay attention to the signs your body is making for you to observe.

Also, if you are walking on a very hot day, if you STOP PERSPIRING, get out of the sun ASAP and find water to douse yourself with. Flush and apply wet compresses especially your pulse points (neck, wrists and upper inner thighs). Perspiring, then not perspiring when you ought to be (logically) is one classic sign of heat exhaustion or sun stroke.

I suffered this in April 2015 while walking the Porto to Santiago route. It was 27 degree (c) on a clear, sunny, cloudless day. I failed to heed the signs. I was not sweating, I felt okay. The next thing I knew I was taking the first of three, "dirt-naps"over the next two days. These were sudden onset fainting spells occasioned by dehydration. Learn from our experiences... That's why we are here.

I find a "bucket hat" (my sun / walking hat) soaked in water, or a Buff similarly soaked and worn about the head, wrists, and / or neck quickly brings the body temperature down. That is one reason why I always carry TWO Buffs, one in each rear pants pocket. Sitting down in the shade and drinking WATER or an electrolyte replacement or sports drink like Aquarius (available most everywhere in Europe), not alcoholic beverages, also helps.

I hope this helps...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@t2andreo you are spot on with your suggestions. I live on the gulf coast of Florida, and the heat can be draining. Last ins and outs are an important part of a patient assessment. I use the following with the scouts regarding their urine: was it like lemonade or apple juice. A headache is also a very common symptom associated I have also seen the effects of heat exhaustion after a long day at the beach on the boat. It can quickly turn to heat stroke which can be fatal if not dealt with immediately. Alcohol is contraindicated even though a cold Caña may taste good.

Hyponatremia is the result of flushing sodium from your system. Therefore, the need for adequate replacement like @SYates and @t2andreo indicated.

I like Emergen-C http://www.emergenc.com/, or better yet DripDrop http://dripdrop.com/. Both are easily obtainable in the US. Can anyone recommend a substitute in Spain?

I attached a couple of slides from Wilderness First Responder training related to heat illness and hydration.

Attachments

• slide113.png
    slide113.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 21
  • slide114.png
    slide114.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 15
  • slide115.png
    slide115.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 15
  • slide116.png
    slide116.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 12
  • slide117.png
    slide117.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
  • slide118.png
    slide118.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 13
  • slide119.png
    slide119.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 13
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I like Emergen-C http://www.emergenc.com/, or better yet DripDrop http://dripdrop.com/. Both are easily obtainable in the US. Can anyone recommend a substitute in Spain?

We found "Sueroral Casen" in the farmacias in Spain. Bought some in the bus station in Lugo! In the U.K. we use Dioralyte.
Some "sports drinks" are based on sweeteners (including Aspartame) which IMO is a big no-no!

Blessings
Tio Tel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for the update and well done, @Nanc !
To walk your own walk is not always easy, but how good is that?! (...ah, Eunate...)
Buen continued camino............:)

And BTW--thank you for unintentionally starting a very useful discussion about preventing heat stroke; we can all benefit from that!

We found "Sueroral Casen" in the farmacias in Spain. Bought some in the bus station in Lugo! In the U.K. we use Dioralyte.
Some "sports drinks" are based on sweeteners (including Aspartame) which IMO is a big no-no!

Blessings
Tio Tel

I have used High Five Zero in the past a few times when diving abroad in hot countries. Its reasonably cheap and I will be carrying a couple of tubes of it when I walk in October. Not just for me, but because you are always guaranteed to meet someone who has no clue or is really in need of an electrolyte boost.

€60,-
Thank you all. Having a banana every morning already (syates you taught me that early on) and a commercial magnesiun drink in addtion to electrolytes help alot. And you're right; had almost 4 liters one day and still ended it dehydrated!
Trying right now not to get sucked into some's schedule- she had only 28 days. So learning to walk mine. Today they headed on to Cirauqui while I detoured to Sante Maria de Enuate. My bed waits for me
Havent seen current temp in Obamos but felt like in 90's again. Lots sock changing and foot care necessary, but all you have said working. Gracias
Hi Nanc - I've been watching you prepare and then suddenly change plans and leave. So glad it's going well despite the heat. Stick to your own pace, that's SO important. We'll be about a week behind you. Enjoy! Buen Camino, Cherry

@Nanc , hi.

I wonder the time of day that you start?

My suggestion, if you are not already doing so, is to start out at sunrise and get breakfast after a couple of hours.

My intention is either to arrive at or near your final stopping point for the day before the heat of the afternoon sets in, or to be well underway and have a siesta after lunch.

Kia kaha (be brave, be strong, get going)

Hi. glad you're enjoying your Camino. I'm starting mine Sept. 10. The commercial magnesium drink you mention is that available for purchase over there? I get leg cramps easy and it's a concern

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used High Five Zero in the past a few times when diving abroad in hot countries. Its reasonably cheap and I will be carrying a couple of tubes of it when I walk in October. Not just for me, but because you are always guaranteed to meet someone who has no clue or is really in need of an electrolyte boost.
Hello. I get leg cramps very easy and I know I will need to bring something with Me. Is this stuff available to buy in the pharmacies over there? Thank you

All of your suggestions will br useful, thsnk you.
I got Powerade tablets for electrolytes to drop in one of my water bottles. Very weight efficient. That and the magnesium we got in a well outfitted Camino store in Pamplona. Dont asked me where but very knowledgable guy with great stock
And yes I feel the magnesium did ease muscle issues
Today was labeled as 29c but felt like more. A bit of humidity in the air

When the days are hit 33 I have left at 5:30-6 am. Yes all those discussions of safety and missing the view ( AND MAJOR POINT: i bought a 30gm Petzel head lamp with 4 modes of light. I tested it out at home and it seemed to have a long enough beam. However it is worthless outside and i plan to get a full sized one. Currently in Los Arcos. Any idea where from here?)
Anyway this was not for bed rush- not needed. But to get through distance in cooler times as AlwynWellington suggests
However, doing 30 km like today blows that benefit
You always have my back ( which makes me calmer and that make my family more grounded .

Some people suggest olives as a good snack on the camino, as they're high in salt (though sodium is not the only mineral you lose) and fat (an alternative to carb-based energy). I did use some mineral salt powders, too, in the first days, so hopefully if you've got those they will help too. Excessive sugar and alcohol (the latter of which I somehow think won't be a problem for you) are two of the things that can cause your body to not absorb magnesium, which is absolutely vital for your muscles to work properly. I ended up shunning the ubiquitous sugary breakfasts for a simple tostada con aceite (olive oil and salt) or even better tostada con tomate (grated fresh tomato, which you get the further west you go), because I know my body reacts adversely to excess sugar. Make sure you get at least some fresh salad, gazpacho or fruit in the day as this will provide you with vital enzymes for digesting your food properly - cramps are usually a sign that you're either deficient in or are not absorbing your mineral nutrients!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Was the Kia kana translate in the parenthesis?

If so, I love it and want to use it going forward

@Nanc , hi.

I wonder the time of day that you start?

My suggestion, if you are not already doing so, is to start out at sunrise and get breakfast after a couple of hours.

My intention is either to arrive at or near your final stopping point for the day before the heat of the afternoon sets in, or to be well underway and have a siesta after lunch.

Kia kaha (be brave, be strong, get going)

Was the Kia kaha translate in the parenthesis?

If so, I love it and want to use it going forward

Kia kaha is an expression from te reo Maori. The principal meaning is "be (or stay) strong" and is offered in times of trouble or uncertainty. From this comes the wish for the hearer to have courage and, because of the focus of this forum, the wish for the hearer to get the job done (or at least get started). It is an expression of the moment, having regard to the circumstances.

One branch of my family (living in London) use the expression very sparingly so that, for them, when used, it has a fresh force.

A pilgrim might say kia kaha silently to themselves when faced with a challenge, say a steep ascent or descent, that is troubling them.

Te reo Maori is not mine to give anyone. Nor is it a treasure to be taken willy nilly.

So, @missy johnson , welcome to the forum. Used carefully I am sure you will find a lot of helpful advice and wisdom from so many of the threads. There will be a lot that may trouble you. So at those time be strong, have courage. And, of course, get started.

Kia kaha is an expression from te reo Maori. The principal meaning is "be (or stay) strong" and is offered in times of trouble or uncertainty. From this comes the wish for the hearer to have courage and, because of the focus of this forum, the wish for the hearer to get the job done (or at least get started). It is an expression of the moment, having regard to the circumstances.

One branch of my family (living in London) use the expression very sparingly so that, for them, when used, it has a fresh force.

A pilgrim might say kia kaha silently to themselves when faced with a challenge, say a steep ascent or descent, that is troubling them.

Te reo Maori is not mine to give anyone. Nor is it a treasure to be taken willy nilly.

So, @missy johnson , welcome to the forum. Used carefully I am sure you will find a lot of helpful advice and wisdom from so many of the threads. There will be a lot that may trouble you. So at those time be strong, have courage. And, of course, get started.
Thank you
I will certainly respect the saying and use going forward

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be careful of drinking to much water in the heat as it can add to the problem by flushing your system of it's electrolytes. You need to replenish those electrolytes. There are many products on the market that can dissolve in your water and they come flavored too. Easier to carry a small vile of these that may weigh only an ounce or two, yet contain enough tablets to make 3 gallons US of electrolyte drink. We use NUUN's . Amazon.com have them, along with many sports stores and pharmacies.

They sell it in Spain in farmacias, I've still got some, called Sueroral Hiposódico. Did the trick.:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought them last week on my holidays in Spain. Five sachets, each sachet to dissolve in a litre of water. Two € for the whole packet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the update Nanc - glad to hear everything is going so well. We leave Australia tomorrow and start our Camino 10 Sept - the heat is quite unexpected and I am hoping it cools signicantly! Buen Camino!

I agree did not expect the high temps .... That's why I go to Europe mid sept .... I start walking from st Jean on 20 th ... Am planning 12 km days for first week and hope that holds me in good stead for the remainder ......

Or use just plain salt ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I won't be able to take the salt as BP already high ......

Lots of good info here
Thanks

... I won't be able to take the salt as BP already high ......

You need to discuss this then with your GP and/or other healthcare professional as you need to replace the salt you have lost through sweating etc. to avoid other health problems like f.e. cramps. Buen Camino, SY

Back