• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Example packing list

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I'd leave out the sleeping pad.
I think that is the one thing I see the most of in the "Free Boxes" where pilgrims dump extra gear.
I never saw anyone have to sleep on hard floors - most places have overflow pads.

I'd also leave out the duct tape. You can buy it anywhere.

I'd also choose either sleeping bag or liner but not take both.
Otherwise, looks good.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
summer camino? Sleeping bag? SO not necessary. Only if you're really stuck sleeping on the church steps. But then you'd be in the path of God's fan club. Who knows if you'd wake up from the trampling. ;)

I'm opting for heavier boots and doing without the hiking poles, but I'm looking into a cheap, lightweight sleeping bag instead of my goose down 3 pounder.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nandy61 said:
summer camino? Sleeping bag? SO not necessary. Only if you're really stuck sleeping on the church steps. But then you'd be in the path of God's fan club. Who knows if you'd wake up from the trampling. ;)

Sleeping bag - lightweight, is a good insurance policy & should always go with you :D

I'd leave out the foam pad and take a light weight, rectangular sleeping bag that can be used as a blanket. Mine is a Therma Rest tech blanket. It's made in Seattle, WA. Polyester so it dries quickly if wet. It stuffs small so if it's a place that gives a blanket I'll be using it as a pillow. I ordered it through a company called Back Country. Also take a small length of cord and about 10 clothes pins for hanging laundry. Make them unique or paint them with your name because they sometimes disappear! Many times the clothes lines fill up. I also sprayed my back pack and the outside of my silk liner and sleeping blanket and hat/cap with premetherin. It is used to keep away the bedbugs/ticks etc. Can even be used on foods so it is rated pretty good. Last through about 6 washings. No smell. I was pleasantly surprised. Was suggested by my travel clinic when I went to Peru in November. Mosquitos wont even land on your hat! I am taking a pair of crocks for the shower and for getting around town after my shower. They have holes in them so hook easily onto my bag. I saw people having problems with thongs. If you have any kind of foot issues you will need to be able to put on clean socks to kick around in. Thongs don't do it.
Liked the idea of a plastic bag. Doesn't take up any room and many times I wished I'd had one to sit on where areas were wet. Esp. on the Meeseta where there aren't a lot of places to sit when you want to take the load off for a while.

what the heck is a buff?

i've not done the camino, but the last time i was in spain i could NOT find 'tums' type antacid tablets, nor acetaminophen.

thanks for the list - could someone please do a ladies addendum? thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just discovered the wonderful world of buffs 2 weeks ago. I LOVE mine and it will be on my list for certain. I will be taking several on our boat trip this summer .. extremely versatile and since I am somewhat hat shy it is guaranteed to save the part on the top of my head from sunburn :) I use mine in many of the ways demostrated but now that I've seen the video I have added a few more uses as well ... I might take TWO ... :mrgreen:

I'd leave out the 500g Altus and exchange it for two large-size black plastic rubbish bags 20 gs?, one for you to wear (no need for sleeves, it's summer) and one for your pack. Perfect airflow, just slit a few holes.

Discard the bubble wrap. sit on the rubbish bag.

Leave out the mug & plate & knife-fork-spoon. Eat everything fresh/raw or out of it's carton. Fingers are fantastic!

Eliminate the Smartphone, charger and headphones. Go medieval. Try practicing Detachment for a few days or weeks and months. Astounding things happen.

-Lovingkindness

ps, you have 2 T shirts and one long sleeved shirt on the list. It's summer. Wear the longsleeve wicking shirt as you hike (sun protection) and sleep in the T shirt. No need for a spare.

pps ...and get rid of the universal plug. Just wrap a rock in plastic then stuff it in the sinkhole, that's if there's a sink. There certainly aren't any baths to luxuriate in....not unless you splash about in a village lavadero....

ppps...lose the compass. Navigate by the sun and stars....

pppps.. .discard the towel. Use the silk liner or the clean T-Shirt. It's over 40 degrees out there. Everything dries in seconds....

ppppps...I might discard the wind breaker and fleecie, too (400gs?) in exchange for a longsleeve thermal base layer (100g preferably merino) &, you guessed it, the versatile, elegant black plastic rubbish sack which you already have...but if I now have a base layer then I'd discard the T shirt.

pppppps...do I really need two pair of knickers and a pair of ear plugs? If I swim in the Rio, sunbath for 5 minutes, then sleep out under the stars in sweet solitude sweet bliss, whose snores will there be to disturb me?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PingHansen said:
694 g Backpack, ULA Ohm (The ULA CDT is 600 g)
:?: I'm wondering if you or anyone might have any thoughts comments about the panel loading ULA Camino? http://www.ula-equipment.com/camino.asp
From my experiences with some panel loading packs during my Army days, I like the looks of this pack, with ready access to anything.
Thanks for any and all comments/advice.
Brian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ping, you are wearing a pair of zip-off pants but are bringing nothing else to wear on the bottom? How are you going to wash these??

Ah, the benefits of a summer camino! No rain = no mud = clean socks & pants. Hot sun = fast drying. High temperatures = no sleeping bag, no heavy jackets, gloves, mitts, hats, etc. Enjoy!

hmmm...no deodorant + not washing your clothes every day + walking around in your underwear. Wow...the people who are going to be sharing space with you sure are lucky...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can sleep in what you will be wearing the next day. Saves packing sleepwear and its added weight.
If you wear a hat all day against the sun and rain, is a shower cap necessary? Wouldn't you want to wash the day's progress out of your hair?

Added to this forum using Tapatalk 2

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings All,

Heading out this Friday to SJPDP and on to Santiago:

Thought I had rain covered with a wide brimmed waxed hat and the Ferrino Todomodo Poncho. As this last is XL it comes down to the calf although up and over a pack may raise it in back.

Had thought this was negate the need for a any type of jacket; instead am taking long sleeved sleeve fleece and various merino tops (long sleeve turtle neck heavy; long sleeve crew neck light, tank top and a couple of camis for layering under). Also have a merino buff and merino/possom fingerless gloves. So thought all this would cover the cold and the poncho/hat cover the wet.

Reading other bits in forum, somone has said even with poncho--gaiters and pull on trousers should be taken. It seems the weather for September/October could be warm to rain.

Please wade in with advice and thoughts, as I still have time to fine tune the packing. Help appreciated as suddenly doubts are kicking in re gear.

Blessings to All

Francesca

With a poncho, I would say it is a matter of either gaiters OR rain pants (no need for both). If you are a moderately short person, so that the poncho comes to mid-calf, I suspect you might not need either gaiters or rain pants on warm days. Later in the month, as temperatures become cooler and the wind becomes stronger, some gaiters might be appreciated. Perhaps someone else more familiar with resources in Spain can address the possibility of buying gaiters en route should the weather turn sour?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings All,

Well, alot to digest--but great--thank you each and all for taking the time to post.

Think I will opt for gaiters (mostly to ward off wet feet/shoes; the poncho comes down below knee to calf). As my pack has aready hit 6.5kg (no water or food) was hoping to call a halt but think this would be worth it.

Blessings To All,

Francesca

Ping. Just to get back to you about Buffs. I was glad I had mine. Wet it whenever I could put it on my head, draping end over kneck and covered with hat. It helped me keep cool a lot. Cheers mate!

Recently (start of September), did Ingles and Finisterra. Wished I had packed my lightweight thin gloves as my hands were cold during pre dawn walking. I think I can add them as my pack was only 5k and didn't seem heavy, except the long etaps where I needed to carry 4 litres of water! As I had only planned to walk Ingles and there were no reports of bedbugs there I hadn't treated my pack/bag liner. Got bitten terribly on Finisterra! Lesson learnt! Was warm enough with silk liner only. Definitely need something to block sink hole in Alberque sinks as plug (if present) never seems to fit. As they were my first Caminos I didn't realise that all clothes washing would be in cold water so perhaps I need to explore better soap. Didn't have anything reflective on my pack etc. for walking in dark. I have noticed a post somewhere above Spanish law requiring this, but I did not see anyone else with reflective gear! Definitely carry spare battery for torch - to run out in a moonlit forest was not funny at all! I sit on the large carrier bag I use for washing/not quite dried clothes (until suns up).
Buen Caminos

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Definitely bed bugs. I recognise the bites. The mossys got me too - their bites were bigger and a little painful (does that mean I am a Wuss?)
They were in the municipal Alberque at Olveiroa on the Finisterra, but when I was getting my certificate at Fisterra Alberque they had just discovered them there and closed a room.

I am at 7 kg without water... Not sure what to leave behind. I'm already regretting to have left my rain pants behind...

Don't worry you won't need waterproof trousers. Even if you get wet you'll dry really quickly. We're not talking about the lake district. Also you won't need a sleeping bag. A silk liner will be adequate. When I walked the camino I took no trousers and one skirt, which is cooler than shorts or trousers and needs washing less often. When I washed it I wore a kanga (large rectangle of cotton from Kenya) as a skirt. This was also useful as a pillow case. I also took a small silk nighty. Whoever's thinking of taking 4 pairs of socks should think again. If you take sandals to change into at the hostel you could get away with one pair of socks, or at the most two. Everyone washes their clothes every day at the hostel and they dry quickly so two pairs of knickers are adequate, though I took 3 and lost one somewhere along the way. Ear plugs are essential and I agree a bar of soap to wash everything including hair is lighter and lasts longer than liquid soap. Another extra for me was a swimming costume. Though I only used it once it was still definitely worth having. I found carrying 500g water was adequate. I drank a lot of water in the morning before setting off and as soon as I arrived at the hostel. Water filling up points are so frequent that 500g will easily last you in the gaps between them even on the hottest days and even through the messeta.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Time of year makes a huge difference to needs. We definitely needed our waterproof trousers and 3 pairs of pants (briefs) and sleeping bags in May. Also I had a pair of silk gloves needed several mornings. October will probably be similar weather to May. Our option was to ditch the bag liners before we left home to save weight.

rufinasca said:
but the last time i was in spain i could NOT find 'tums' type antacid tablets, nor acetaminophen.
It's a tad late but may come in useful for someone.
Acetaminophen is a USA name only for Paracetamol in Europe.

PingHansen said:
[For chaps, check out ZPacks Rain Chaps. 54 g (1.9 oz). That would be my advice.
While there I also noted this piece of kit that looks very useful ZPacks Multi-Pack - 4 in 1 Backpack Lid / Chest Pack / Belt Pack / Satchel

Snug fitting chest pack that snaps to your pack straps at 4 points, and snaps off to become a shoulder bag for around town or village.

lid_chest_m.jpg

Here's an alternative to Chaps ... easy on-easy off during rain showers, does not cause overheating, and can be used for your shower wrap in the albergues. ZPacks also makes one.
Rain Kilt

rainkilt-on-person.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
PingHansen said:
In warm weather, you'll quickly learn to hate it, as it cuts down on ventilation. Wearing that pack on your chest in baking sun gets sweaty. I've tried something similar, and I felt rather stuffy.
Good points ... I note that ZPacks indicates that 4-way pack can also be snapped to ride on top of - or anywhere else on - the backpack. It is waterproof. Still would serve as your around town pack, but not as easy to gain access to your camera or guidebook ... That's only because ZPack doesn't have pouches as standard on their waist belt, though they do have other options.

PingHansen said:
BrianForbesColgate said:
While there I also noted this piece of kit that looks very useful ZPacks Multi-Pack - 4 in 1 Backpack Lid / Chest Pack / Belt Pack / Satchel

That's an interesting concept. Since so many backpacks now have a "floating" lid, I'm wondering whether it's possible to flip the lid over one's head, so it rides on the chest while the weight is suspended from the framesheet, so some of the weight goes to the hips. I know there are times when I would really prefer faster access to map/guidebook.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.