• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Excellent map sites for routes in Germany

mla1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Germany offers a variety of different pilgrims routes. I can also recommend the Luther Trail through central Germany: "Martin Luther´s journey to and from Worms in 1521 and its effect and impact upon the Reformation were the starting point in developing the Luther Trail as a pilgrimage route and reflective walking path in conjunction with the Reformation Jubilee in 2017." The total distance is 360 kilometers and the trail is very well marked both ways. You'll find accommodation quite easily, but I recommend to plan ahead. For more information: https://www.lutherweg1521.de/

Attachments

• iphone220517 113.JPG
    iphone220517 113.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • iphone220517 145.JPG
    iphone220517 145.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • iphone220517 205.JPG
    iphone220517 205.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • iphone220517 219.JPG
    iphone220517 219.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thought I add this one to the list as well. The Lutherweg in Sachsen, Sachsen Anhalt and Thuringen which sort of connects relevant places related to Luther and the Reformation. You can do it as a circular walk, in total it is app. 300 km I guess. I remember seeing it its signage when walking the Via Regia, and now stumbled upon this site while planning a next walk.

This is the link: http://www.lutherweg.de/

Are there many or any Albergue type places in Germany?

Last edited:
As for Germany, you won't find Albergue type places along the Camino. In rare cases, the Parish might help, but I wouldn't count on that. The diverse St. James organizations (www.deutsche-jakobus-gesellschaft.de) along the route might help with a list of accommodation, sometimes you might even find a private room. - But again: Nothing to count on. I'ld recommend to plan ahead. - You'll not find an infrastructure like in Southern France or Spain along the Camino or other pilgrims trails as this requires a much higher frequency than we have in Germany (or other European countries, except for Spain and Southern France). You will also very rarely meet other pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In general there are not as many albergues as in Spain. The exception is probably the Via Regia. I walked this route (from Gorlitz to Eisenach) and easily managed to stay in an albergue every night. You do have to phone beforehand to inform about your arrival, so you can be given the key - the albergues are mostly run by local volunteers and do not have a permanent hospitalero. On the Via Regia you are also more likely to meet some other pilgrims.

Once again to the accommodations question for pilgrims in Germany: Always a good opportunity is the net of youth hostels in Germany. In many interesting places ( of course not always when you need or want it) they offer a bed and meals for reasonable prices. It’s recommended to plan beforehand for reservations.
And despite the name, they accept adults too. 😌
¡Ultreia!

In general there are not as many albergues as in Spain. The exception is probably the Via Regia. I walked this route (from Gorlitz to Eisenach) and easily managed to stay in an albergue every night. You do have to phone beforehand to inform about your arrival, so you can be given the key - the albergues are mostly run by local volunteers and do not have a permanent hospitalero. On the Via Regia you are also more likely to meet some other pilgrims.
... the ‘official’ end point is Vacha, an interesting large village which ‘sits’on the old border of East and former West Germany. You go to the bookshop to get your final stamp, receive a lapel pin and the keys to a super apartment for the night! A solitary but splendid hike with some excellent Christian family and ecclesiastical accommodation on the way. Even one night in an organ loft!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For accommodation on german Caminos, it can also be very useful to bring a tent. I know it is an unpopular choice, but it can be a good solution here to lower cost and to have more flexibility and options. Especially in summer when the weather is nice.

Germany has a good network of excellent campsites with everything a pilgrim needs - hot showers, electricity to charge your phone, and often even washing machine, WIFI and restaurant / bar or "bread service" (you order in the evening and can pick up your fresh bread for breakfast the next morning at the check-in). Prices are similar to spanish albergue prices, usually around 12-15 Euros per night for one person with a small tent. Sometimes there are also small huts/cabins available for those who prefer a bed.

The Mosel Camino for example can be walked staying at official campsites (almost) every night. On the via coloniensis it was possible about half the time if I remember correctly, same for via imperii from Berlin to Leipzig.

If anyone wants to walk the Mosel Camino doing camping, I created a list of campsites from Cologne to Trier that I can share (haven't walked it yet, still planning, so it's only based on google search so far, but maybe can still be helpful).

Here is a very good blog about the Via Regia by @SYates:

She seconds your recommendation, @mla1, and has a few others:
How about the Via Regia in Germany? Here some tempting links:

http://viaregia.guide/ (basic info)

http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html (with interactive map)
http://www.jakobswege-europa.de/wege/ (big overview)

Last edited:
Concerning pilgrim accomodation in Germany, the following link may also be usefull. It is an overview of all German Jakobswegen with direct links to accomodation options for the various ways. It basically links to websites by various organisations responsible for a particular Jakobsweg. https://pilgertools.de/pilgerunterkunft/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... and it is always useful to have membership of YHA. For U.K. based residents, you might be interested to know that the cheapest membership is available from the Scottish YHA. (I took out life membership during lockdown...) It helped in Germany when, for instance, I stayed in a hotel at Freyburg am Unstrut and was accorded ‘bicyclists’ rates in a surprising basement dormitory! I have also used it in Spain in youth hostels/students accommodation when a credencial is less recognised.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.