• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Excursions off the Camino Frances

hfenton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Invierno (2023)
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances from SJPP to Finisterre/Muxia and have about 2 months (May 23 - July 21) for this. I've just learned about the short, 3-day walk to Covarrubias. I would probably catch a bus back to Burgos to get back on the CF. Are there any other 1-3 day side trips you might recommend off the CF? Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances from SJPP to Finisterre/Muxia and have about 2 months (May 23 - July 21) for this. I've just learned about the short, 3-day walk to Covarrubias. I would probably catch a bus back to Burgos to get back on the CF. Are there any other 1-3 day side trips you might recommend off the CF? Thank you.

here are my 2 cents

The world heritage Yuso Monastery is 20 km south of Sto Domingo Calzada. Laguardia is also 20 km north of Logroño (Rioja wine country and awesome town). another unesco site are Las Médulas, a long 25 km uphill from Ponferrada.

good luck and Buen Camino

March 2007 I detoured from Arzua to another Unesco World Heritage Site, Sobrado dos Monxes monastery, Stayed at the then basic pilgrim albergue within the Cistercian/Trappist monastery; there also was a separate hospederia for visitors.

This monastery complex is a Baroque masterpiece, but then the albergue dorm was actually in a renovated stable; no other pilgrims were there and it was freezing! The pilgrim albergue has since been vastly up-graded.

Attended Vespers with one other 'outsider'. The evening service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were either painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick, sputtering candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison. It was a true privilege to share such a timeless ambiance....Don't miss it!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The absolute best three day detour I've ever taken off the Camino was a circle from Ponferrada to El Acebo to Peñalba de Santiago and back to Ponferrada. Spectacular, beautiful walk.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-splendor-from-ponferrada-or-el-acebo.27697/

And here's another thread with ideas on this question.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/side-trips-off-the-camino-frances.41811/

And if you are thinking of going to Covarrubias, you might want to consider taking the bus to Santo Domingo de Silos and then walking to Covarrubias and from there on the Camino San Olav.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...an-olav-between-burgos-and-santo-domingo.173/

Alexwalker walked it in one direction this year, and Rebekah and I walked it in the other direction. We both have posts on it. It was fabulous, you will see that others (Virananni and alansykes are the two that jump most quickly to mind) have also enjoyed it a lot.

Santo Domingo de Silos Abbey is a Benedictine monastery in the village of Santo Domingo de Silos an hour plus country bus ride from Burgos. Romanesque architecture and sculpture in the cloister, world class(!) Gregorian chants at every service, quiet and solitude. One late afternoon bus there a day, one early morning bus back, plan two day excusrsion to enjoy it all.

You could stay 2 nights in Palas de Rei and walk out to Vilar de Donas (approx 6kms each way). They love to have pilgrims visit and have a sello. Sadly it is just too far off the Camino for many to make the diversion.

Not only amazing stonework but also wall paintings

Attachments

• villadedoñas.jpg
    villadedoñas.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
when in palas de rei or melide, find your way to pambre castle. it's a long but spectacular walk. and the castle has just reopened and - WOWView attachment 31296

I went out to Pambre in 2010 when it was still under construction. That was kind of a disappointment, having walked from my albergue, but the route was, as you say, very pretty. Crossed a river once or twice if I remember (on a bridge, not through the water). http://caminoolvidado.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-9-km-castle-detour.html

If you are interested in this detour (which I have read somewhere described as the finest example of some type of military architecture, but military architecture is not really my thing), the easiest way would be to walk to the Albergue Bolboreta, which is about 1.5 km off camino.
http://www.gronze.com/galicia/lugo/o-vilar-remonde/albergue-pension-bolboreta. From there it's not far at all. And what was amazing to me was how just a few km off Camino, you can be in rural Galicia where the Camino hasn't had any impact at all. Beautiful scenery, beautiful old houses, but a lot of abandonment, houses falling down, etc.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here's another one I just thought of. If you like ancient churches, San Miguel de la Escalada is about 15 km northeast of Mansilla de las Mulas. It is actually on the Camino Vadiniense, which joins up with the Frances a few km west of Mansilla. The town of Gradefes has a nice albergue, I was all alone coming down on the Vadiniense. But you could probably get yourself out to Gradefes by bus, stay in the albergue and walk the next day back to Mansilla. It is one of those camino gems -- if you are as enamored of medieval churches, this is one not to miss. Highly recommended, I've been there twice now!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back