• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Exhibit in Ponferrada

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

The Castle extends his legacy with 215 works from the art collection of the Pecker saga
Paintings, sculptures, reliquaries and jewels integrate the 'treasure' of the radio announcer.
m. c. canedo | ponferrada 18/12/2012

The Templar Castle in Ponferrada takes a new step forward to become a cultural reference at the national level and strengthen its offering, and does so with a new and unique art exhibition donated by the family of the historic radio announcer, José Luis Pecker, who died in 2007. It's a collection of paintings, sculptures, jewels and amulets belonging to the period between the 14th and 20th centuries journalist acquired throughout his life and that have so far remained hidden in the family home of Madrid.

Now, thanks to the agreement that the family has reached with Ponferrada, the sample may visit in the Palace of the castle of the Templars, specifically in the so-called old room, a space built by the Earl of Lemos with remnants of the Templar era. They will be, in total, 215 pieces of great artistic value that will remain between the walls of the fortress for at least one decade, according to collect the given initial Convention yesterday announced by the Mayor of Ponferrada, Carlos López Riesco and three of the seven children of history of waves whose pairing with the city dates back to the year 2007, when the City Council named her a street in La Rosaleda.

The presentation of an agreement that multiplies the cultural legacy of the Templar fortress, Riesco highlighted the generosity of family Pecker, who has rejected other offers to bring part of that collection of art to the capital of el Bierzo. «You've wanted to participate in this project which is the Castle and in memory of a very important man. It is a proud and honored that one of our streets bearing his name. Linking is now a little more narrow and I hope you will allow the Pecker become Ambassadors of the Bierzo, Ponferrada», argued López Riesco. In addition, Alderman insisted that this new cultural project will strengthen the current contents of the Templar fortress and will mean one boost so many citizens have a reason to travel to Ponferrada.

«We are proud to have this collection, which for us means an indelible memory of our father here. He was a fan of art and took advantage of their vacation or their work to visit antique shops, museums and go accumulating these parts», explained José Luis Pecker son.

In the medium term
The idea of the Government ponferradino team is a museum quality project. Therefore, Riesco warned that the sample will soon materialize and that it will have to wait until end of 2013 or early 2014 to turn it into a reality. «It is an exhibition that will be at least ten years, and so it should be a good exhibition project, unhurried. In addition, you have to resolve financing issues», explained the Mayor. And it is that the necessary funding to undertake this project will be sought through the Fundación Pedro Álvarez Osorio and the Endesa Foundation, among other entities.

The collection reservoir does not have any consideration for the Town Hall, since it's a transfer free and disinterested of the family of the announcer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back