• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Exit Santander - advice?

Gypsea Moon

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All, staying tonight in lovely albergue de abuelo Peuto in Guemes, would like advices on leaving Santander next?
(several search on mobile, couldnt find anything on forum, sorry if repeat)

Is it like leaving Bilbao? ? Many industrial zones? (Next time would take bus to Portugalete) Would it be a good idea to take some public transport? To where?

(On start of camino I intended to be a "real " pelegrino... now a practical one... also saving energy for el Primitivo)

Thanks for any help :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I remember well the walk out of Santander is mainly suburban, not so much industrial, and it is app 6 km before you leave Santander behind. I quite enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed the walk out of Bilbao, so we may have different preferences. I know some pilgrims take a train out of Santander, up to Mogro (14 km) and continue walking from there. I think there are also train stops before Mogro. I did take the train between Boo de Pielagos and Mogro because I did not fancy walking over the rail bridge. Good luck!

If I remember well the walk out of Santander is mainly suburban, not so much industrial, and it is app 6 km before you leave Santander behind. I quite enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed the walk out of Bilbao, so we may have different preferences. I know some pilgrims take a train out of Santander, up to Mogro (14 km) and continue walking from there. I think there are also train stops before Mogro. I did take the train between Boo de Pielagos and Mogro because I did not fancy walking over the rail bridge. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience Marc
:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the char this evening you will be given information. Not so much about skipping the burbs, but about not crossing the bridge by foot. One the recommendations they make is to take the train in Santander and get off after the bridge. The issue with exiting Santander can be finding the directions as there are two sets of arrows and you can end up walking in circles.

T
At the char this evening you will be given information. Not so much about skipping the burbs, but about not crossing the bridge by foot. One the recommendations they make is to take the train in Santander and get off after the bridge. The issue with exiting Santander can be finding the directions as there are two sets of arrows and you can end up walking in circles.
Anks Anemone ☺

We took the FEVE cercania out to Barreda, where the arrows pass the station. This avoids the industrial area and the dangerous bridge - it is actually illegal to cross that bridge!.
From Barredas it is a good walk to Santillana del Mar. Terry had previously walked out of Santander and round to the river crossing upstream to avoid 'that bridge', adding about 11kms to the day's walk, so said that the FEVE was the best solution.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We took the FEVE cercania out to Barreda, where the arrows pass the station. This avoids the industrial area and the dangerous bridge - it is actually illegal to cross that bridge!.
From Barredas it is a good walk to Santillana del Mar. Terry had previously walked out of Santander and round to the river crossing upstream to avoid 'that bridge', adding about 11kms to the day's walk, so said that the FEVE was the best solution.

FEVE sounds like a good option from Boo de Pielagos... thanks tia Valeria :)

We caught the train to avoid walking over the railway bridge. We were quite surprised - it's very short!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The train bridge is after Santa Cruz de Bezana. It is not even the length of a football field and is a simple crossing. See attached photo.2014 075.JPG

The train bridge is after Santa Cruz de Bezana. It is not even the length of a football field and is a simple crossing. See attached photo.View attachment 20795
It is after Boo not Santa Cruz, a further 6kms(?) and crossing the bridge is dangerous and illegal, you can be arrested for it and the notices are quite clear this year.
Also the goods trains do not necessarily run to schedule, like the cercanias do, and they all overhang the track leaving no space for a person between the train and the bridge railings!!

It is after Boo not Santa Cruz, a further 6kms(?) and crossing the bridge is dangerous and illegal, you can be arrested for it and the notices are quite clear this year.
Also the goods trains do not necessarily run to schedule, like the cercanias do, and they all overhang the track leaving no space for a person between the train and the bridge railings!!

Tia:

My intent , in my comment is that it was not coming out of Santandar and SCdB was the last city I recalled walking prior to it. That is also where we received our directions and information regarding the bridge.

I disagree that this bridge is a dangerous crossing and posted a picture so one can decide for themselves. To my knowledge no one has been hurt walking across this bridge. That said, we all have a different tolerance for risk. I am just saying, imo, it is not a great risk. I fully appreciate your opinion is that this is a risk and Illegal.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All good information,greatly appreciated.

I have a question,slightly off topic.
Next March I shall be taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander to walk part of el Norte,Primitivo and more.
I would like to stay 1 or 2 nights in Torrelevega.
Does anyone know of a decent,inexpensive,place to stay?
Graham

All good information,greatly appreciated.

I have a question,slightly off topic.
Next March I shall be taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander to walk part of el Norte,Primitivo and more.
I would like to stay 1 or 2 nights in Torrelevega.
Does anyone know of a decent,inexpensive,place to stay?
Graham
Not much to see or do in Torrelavega, in my opinion 1 night will be enough.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But optimg for Santillana makes for a rather large jump from Santander. It could,esily be a full day's walk from Torrelavega.

Thanks.
I definitely want to stay in Torrelevega as I hope to meet someone there.
Visited last fall, in particular the old cemetery where my great-grand parents are burried as well as one of my mother's uncles who asked to be burried back in Spain. Civil wars dismantle so many loving families.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Crossed the railway bridge yesterday along with 4 other people. It was very safe. Locals use it.
However, the short route into Santillana del Mar, along the road is noisy and smelly.
There seem to be numerous ways of getting to Santillana.
Way marking is confusing as well.

Back