• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Expenses

drkmtbc

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013
I am planning my first camino for June-July 2013, and am interested in both Camino Francés and the Camino Vasco. One concern is expenses. Several sites mention that the Vasco route, because it is less traveled, is substantially more expensive in terms of accommodations, food, etc.

I would like to hear of others' experiences regarding cost differences.

On another note, others have strongly recommended that my first camino should be the Francés. I am interested in the more isolated aspects of the Camino Vasco--that is, some time away from crowds can be a good thing for me! However, the idea of crossing the Pyrenees is very exciting and attractive!

I look forward to and appreciate any thoughts on these topics. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked this route in the Spring of 2012. While there is not as much infrastructure, there are adequate facilities to sleep and eat along the route. If you utilize the guide they hand out, you will find it is no more costly than the Frances. Thirty Euros a day should cover your costs.

I really enjoyed this route and it is a great alternative to starting from SJPdP.

If you would like more specifics, feel free to PM me and I will send you more detail on my experience.

Ultreya,
Joe

drkmtbc said:
I am planning my first camino for June-July 2013, and am interested in both Camino Francés and the Camino Vasco. One concern is expenses. Several sites mention that the Vasco route, because it is less traveled, is substantially more expensive in terms of accommodations, food, etc.
I would like to hear of others' experiences regarding cost differences.

On another note, others have strongly recommended that my first camino should be the Francés. I am interested in the more isolated aspects of the Camino Vasco--that is, some time away from crowds can be a good thing for me! However, the idea of crossing the Pyrenees is very exciting and attractive!
I look forward to and appreciate any thoughts on these topics. Thanks!

Our budget for a married couple for 65 days of Puy-en-Velay to Saint-Jacques de Compostela (summer 2010 prices)
Accommodation (hotel, camping, lodging, board, albergue) € 1,385.88
FOOD (Restaurant, bar, grocery store) € 1,580.56
EQUIPMENT (camera, solar charger, sleeping bag € 222.25
DOCUMENTATION (yum-yum dodo, etc. credencial. € 27.00
DIVERSE € 95.90
TRAVEL (go and return to the house) € 328.50. It is more expensive for Australians;-)
PHARMACY € 22.00
€ 3662.09

Daily accommodation is € 1385.88 divided by 65 days for a married couple
or € 10.66 for one person
The food in the amount of € 1580.56 could obviously be reduced costs of drinks (beer andcoca) in the bars of a “total” of € 379.30 or € 1201.26 for 2 people is 9.24 € per person.
The expenses of materials and equipment must be removed for € 222.25
Miscellaneous expenses and pharmacy are just over € 1 per day per person

As regards the costs of travel to and they vary according to place of departure and hometo reduce € 328.50
After all these corrections the grand total (excluding travel costs) is € 2732.04
days to 65 days per person per day € 21.02. (to continue How much should I allow each day on the camino ? http://wp.me/pvbzg-dI

We walked another time may (june 2012) from SJPDD to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi.

I don't at all think a first Camino should be on the Frances. I'm about to walk for my sixth time on the Via de la Plata. When I was researching the Caminos, I read about the crowds on the Frances, and how the Spanish government was encouraging people to try other routes, so I selected the VDLP. I absolutely love it. Plenty of solitude, but also plenty of time to chat with others at night in the restaurants and lodging. I have also walked a few kilometers on the Frances, and driven along portions of it, and while I would like to do it someday because it's so historical, I can already tell by the vast numbers of people I've seen that the VDLP is much more my style.

Re: prices, all I can tell you is that on the VDLP, the prices seem the same as what I've read people posting about the Frances as far as Menu del Dias and albergues and other lodging. The only difference I can tell is that on the VDLP, they only have a handful of taxi services available. So if you want to ship a bag ahead, you might have to pay a regular taxi fare, which is pricey (about 1 euro per kilometer).

Melanie

Melanie:

If you want to walk the Frances, without the crowds, I would recommend a late March start. At that time of year you might get 10-20 Pilgrims starting out from SJPdP. The only busy days on the Route will be Easter weekend and possibly the last 100km's from Sarria. That said, I never had problems finding shelter or food. Some Albergues have not opened at this time of year.

I am considering walking the VdlP or Primativo this Spring and would be interested in your experience. Time of year you walked, weather, accommodations etc.

You might also consider starting on the Baztan or Vasco and connecting with the Frances in Pamplona, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, or Burgos if you prefer less traveled routes.

Ultreya,
Joe

We walked the Primitivo this Spring. It is beautiful and also full of history. We too like the more solitary Caminos. This year's Camino is on our blog :arrow: and you can also see Terry's original Camino at http://walktocompostela.blogspot.co.uk/ which includes time on part of the Norte. There is plenty about the Primitivo too under that section, both our time this year http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-primitivo/topic14228.html and Peregrina2000's http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-primitivo/topic14728.html amongst others. We walk short days, she walks long ones so between us we give some differing viewpoints and stop overs.

Costs for us this year, staying in private albergues, hostales etc was about 30 euros a day each, including at least one hot meal per day, coffees, snacks, breakfast and accomodation. We chose this for ease of stages and good sleeping for my benefit. In 2009 Terry used the public albergues and very few private places.

The, now derelict, Hospital de Montouto was the last mediaeval pilgrim refuge to close:- it was open, and providing for pilgrims, well into the 20th century

Buen Camino, whichever you choose

Attachments

• montouto.jpg
    montouto.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,172
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really appreciate hearing people's thoughts and experiences on this. Thank you!

I would love to start in the spring, but I am a professor and cannot leave the US until June 10 at the earliest due to commitments. Is the CF already quite overrun at that time--starting mid-June?

Thanks again!

There will be plenty on the trail but there are simple ways to avoid,

Allow to stay in more expensive accommodation , namely pensions now and then
Avoid the 33 stages mentioned in JB book like the plaque.
Allow more than 36 days and its a beautiful walk

You will love it Prof.
David

If you really want fewer people then you may prefer one of the other routes. Another option would be to try the Francés and then migrate to another route, either on foot or by bus/train if it is too crowded for your needs.
There are links between Leon and Oviedo, for example, from where you can then continue along the Primitivo or the Norte.
Also from Sarria, where the crowds build up, to Lugo (Primitivo). Eventually you would come back onto the Francés at Melide where the routes join.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the northern route in May 2011. It was more expensive than the regular route because sometimes the only hostel available was a Youth hostel for €15 a night. The pilgrims hostels were five euro and private hostels or private hotels where anywhere from €15 for a hostel to €22 a night for a single room. It was a great route to walk you walked alone most of the day and met up with other pilgrims at the end of the day once you reached the Albergue.

Tia Valeria said:
We walked the Primitivo this Spring. It is beautiful and also full of history. We too like the more solitary Caminos. This year's Camino is on our blog :arrow: and you can also see Terry's original Camino at http://walktocompostela.blogspot.co.uk/ which includes time on part of the Norte.

I'm a little bit confused in this thread. Tia Valeria wrote about Camino Primitivo and Camino Norte or about Camino...Interior???
It's the thread about expenses and I guess there might be no major differences between expenses on each of those Caminos, but nevertheless...

Ultreia

If you look at the original question Kinky One , 2 questions were asked
[1] Expenses and [2] whether Frances or a more isolated camino should be first choice.
Tia Valaria answered both.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back