• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Expensive Accommodations!

BuenC_JamieG

Conscious Travel Coach
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
Hi all,

I am in Irun, and I will start the Camino del Norte tomorrow morning and I’m getting nervous about the lack of affordable accommodations I’m seeing.

Tonight I didn’t have any option but to stay in this sad, smelly hotel that is 50 euros a night. I wasn’t planning on that budget and I’m hoping the accommodations become more “Camino” prices ( instead of $60 a night) once I pass San Sebastián…Anyone have some words of assurance? Or should I make adjustments to my plan?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You’re traveling through a prime vacation area at a very busy vacation time. I hope it gets better, I know further on there were more albergues but I don’t know if they’re open during covid. The first few steps were more expensive as I recall but I also walked in April. Are you using gronze.com to search? Hopefully if you can’t find hostels or albergues you can at least find some fellow pilgrims to double or triple up in rooms. Good luck!

Hi all,

I am in Irun, and I will start the Camino del Norte tomorrow morning and I’m getting nervous about the lack of affordable accommodations I’m seeing.

Tonight I didn’t have any option but to stay in this sad, smelly hotel that is 50 euros a night. I wasn’t planning on that budget and I’m hoping the accommodations become more “Camino” prices ( instead of $60 a night) once I pass San Sebastián…Anyone have some words of assurance? Or should I make adjustments to my plan?
Sadly, I believe ever endeavor in life, including the Camino, is becoming uncomfortably more expensive. I'm putting off my next Camino until things become "relatively" more normal. And that is quite frustrating in itself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or should I make adjustments to my plan?
I have a feeling that you have a better chance of finding cheap accommodation at reasonable intervals on the Camino Frances. Albergues are opening up again but there are gaps in the "network." The problem may be less pronounced on the Frances, which has the most pilgrim infrastructure of any route.

What other adjustments would you consider? If you are determined to stay on the Norte, you might be able to plan ahead so that you take public transport to get past areas with no affordable accommodations. If you can tolerate some hardship, you could get a sleeping mat and a mosquito net to spend some nights in church porches or under the stars. If neither of those is feasible, perhaps you need to resign yourself to going only as far as your budget allows this year - then coming back another time to finish your pilgrimage. You are likely to find things cheaper when the situation normalizes. Out of season may be cheaper too.

Last edited by a moderator:
As @Smallest_Sparrow said, you are walking in a prime holiday destination in the height of high season. The municipal albergues are currently closed in Basque Country, so you will need to stay in private hostels, pensions, etc. I would book at least a day or two ahead.

When I walked the Norte in July 2018 I found the prices higher than the Frances, and less of a pilgrim infrastructure, which meant full albergues early in the afternoon.

Based on my spring experience prices dropped from Zarutz onward and there were more albergue options (again not sure bc of covid). You may want to invest some time on gronze or other pilgrim site of your choice, call ahead and see if albergues are open or see if the hotels have pilgrim prices. Also if you’re looking for a room the same day they may discount if they still have unsold rooms if you have to use hotels. One hotel I stayed at (although Frances not Norte) would put four pilgrims (not traveling together) into one room for cheap. If things are going to be too expensive while you’re in your current area you may be able to take a bus or train to a cheaper start point, then use the days saved for after you finish

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a feeling that you have a better chance of finding cheap accommodation at reasonable intervals on the Camino Frances. Albergues are opening up again but there are gaps in the "network." The problem may be less pronounced on the Frances, which has the most pilgrim infrastructure of any route.

What other adjustments would you consider? If you are determined to stay on the Norte, you might be able to plan ahead so that you take public transport to get past areas with no affordable accommodations. If you can tolerate some hardship, you could get a sleeping mat and a mosquito net to spend some nights in church porches or under the starts. If neither of those is feasible, perhaps you need to resign yourself to going only as far as your budget allows this year - then coming back another time to finish your pilgrimage. You are likely to find things cheaper when the situation normalizes. Out of season may be cheaper too.
Excellent advice.👌

I have been walking Camino Norte since 29 June. I have 2 days to go. I have had no problems with accommodation and have only paid over €35 three times and one of them was in Irun. The other two places I could have got cheaper. Most people I have met have not paid over €20 a night. There is plenty open. At worst you may need to plan your stages to meet the available accommodation.

i would say the norm has been 15€ per night.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You’re traveling through a prime vacation area at a very busy vacation time. I hope it gets better, I know further on there were more albergues but I don’t know if they’re open during covid. The first few steps were more expensive as I recall but I also walked in April. Are you using gronze.com to search? Hopefully if you can’t find hostels or albergues you can at least find some fellow pilgrims to double or triple up in rooms. Good luck!
Yes I checked Gronze. The main problem is that the municipal albergues aren’t open, or at least not the ones I am seeing. But I think I can meet some pilgrims are split rooms which would half the cost. Thanks for the input!

I have been walking Camino Norte since 29 June. I have 2 days to go. I have had no problems with accommodation and have only paid over €35 three times and one of them was in Irun. The other two places I could have got cheaper. Most people I have met have not paid over €20 a night. There is plenty open. At worst you may need to plan your stages to meet the available accommodation.

This is amazing! Are you planning ahead or booking on the spot?

What other adjustments would you consider? If you are determined to stay on the Norte, you might be able to plan ahead so that you take public transport to get past areas with no affordable accommodations. If you can tolerate some hardship, you could get a sleeping mat and a mosquito net to spend some nights in church porches or under the starts. If neither of those is feasible, perhaps you need to resign yourself to going only as far as your budget allows this year - then coming back another time to finish your pilgrimage. You are likely to find things cheaper when the situation normalizes. Out of season may be cheaper too.
Great advice. Going to have to give that a walk and think about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think these posts show how quickly things can change — from no problem with lodging several weeks ago to an apparent crunch today. The tourist traffic increases all through the month of July, till we hit peak in August, so that no doubt influences put pressure on supply. I know lots more Spaniards are taking domestic vacations this year, and what more beautiful place to do so than in in the villages on the Norte?!

This is amazing! Are you planning ahead or booking on the spot?
I tend to like using booking.com with its written confirmation. But have emailed ahead 3/4 times, called ahead 3/4 times, hostels have called ahead a few times to the next stage and have just turned up a few times. Most people I have met have just turned up and I have not been aware of any issues. I deliberately targeted the major cities in my stages as there is so much accommodation but it has been very straight forward. I have probably only sayed in municipal places 3/4 times including a couple of donativos.

I tend to panic about accommodation but it has been fine!

I tend to like using booking.com with its written confirmation. But have emailed ahead 3/4 times, called ahead 3/4 times, hostels have called ahead a few times to the next stage and have just turned up a few times. Most people I have met have just turned up and I have not been aware of any issues. I deliberately targeted the major cities in my stages as there is so much accommodation but it has been very straight forward. I have probably only sayed in municipal places 3/4 times including a couple of donativos.

I tend to panic about accommodation but it has been fine!
I may be overthinking it due to this first experience in Irun, which is lacking in accommodation. Thanks for breaking it down for me. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think these posts show how quickly things can change — from no problem with lodging several weeks ago to an apparent crunch today. The tourist traffic increases all through the month of July, till we hit peak in August, so that no doubt influences put pressure on supply. I know lots more Spaniards are taking domestic vacations this year, and what more beautiful place to do so than in in the villages on the Norte?!
This is a great point!

Yes Irun was actually the trickiest!! An option would have been stay in San Sebastien, leave your bag there, get early morning bus to Irun and walk without rucksack!
That is a fantastic idea. People…take notes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok so I did this type of thing a few times. Not due accommodation but as my back was a bit sore from backpack.

Irun - so I stayed in Irun but on my first day, missed the turn for the ‘altitude variant’ so ended up on the ‘low variant’. I didn’t realise until it was too late and I was it bugged me for the first few days. Anyway when I got to Bilbao I decided to redo the first day. So I got a bus to San Sebastien, got a hostel, left my bag there, early morning bus to Irun and walked to San Sebastien sans bag!

I did similar thing ...I.e catch a bus a stage ahead after walking all day, book 2 nights in a hostel, catch a bus back next morning to where you finished walking, in the Gijon area , and also Ribadeo. It means you can walk without rucksack and you have longer for your clothes to dry!

It’s also possible in the Oviedo area!

You don’t miss any walking.

Yes I checked Gronze. The main problem is that the municipal albergues aren’t open, or at least not the ones I am seeing. But I think I can meet some pilgrims are split rooms which would half the cost. Thanks for the input!
I didn’t have covid or Spanish vacation season to work around, but sometimes I’d walk extra past the usual stop spot but not far enough to reach the next. I often got deals just dragging my forlorn pilgrim self into roadside hotels (probably truck stop equivalents) looking exhausted with my best smile. Good luck!

€60,-

Just came from there. It is really expensive. If you are on a tight budget Camino Francés and the Caminhos Portugûes have more fairly priced accommodations open.

Best
Andy

Hi all,

Yes, del Norte can be spendy. I walked pre pandemic in July 2019 and it swallowed up much of my budget on accomidations. After several weeks I switched to the Frances for various reasons, budget being one of them. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband and I walked the Norte in spring 2018. We stayed mostly in hotels and such. We didn't have a problem with accommodations. Prices were good and often we'd be the only ones staying in a place. With this exception: Holy Week. Prices went way up that week and it was harder to find vacancies. That made us realize it would be more of a challenge to walk the Norte during the summer high season.

Hi all,

Perhaps find another pilgrim to share a room with. I had to do that on El Norte in late winter 2018 when the owner of the only place to stay one night refused to rent us both separate rooms so I shared a twin bed room with a French entomologist whom I’d met earlier that morning while walking. Lol, took a sleeping pill and hoped I was alive in the morning 😂🤦‍♀️

Hi all,

I stayed in Irún pretty much this same week in 2019. I was not prepared for the prices! I thought something was wrong when I tried to find lodging (the same day as I arrived; stressful) and nothing was below 50-60 euros. (Albergue was full!) I paid 65 euros for 1 night in a hostal... Then I sneaked off to walk the Camino Vasco, and prices subsided when I got further away from the coast! But if you are walking the Norte, wont there be more touristy places like Irún along the coast? High prices could be a problem.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

So I just just checked with someone I met at start of Norte who has generally been a stage or 2 behind me. He reaches SdC tomorrow. He takes a far more relaxed approach than me so is a good gauge. He just walks and doesn’t book, or maybe calls night before at best. He had his first issue yesterday. Couldn’t find anything in Sobrado so had to walk on to Boimorto.

Where did you stay on the second stage? I am not seeing any good options. Did you walk while the municipal albergues were open or closed?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I did the Norte in 2019. Prices definitely more than Francés with fewer choices. Irún is VERY high for what you get. You can see from this list that options and prices vary WIDELY.

May 6: Overnight Flight

May 7: Irún
Pensión Lizaso
€40

May 8: Irún
Pensión Lizaso
€40

May 9: San Sebastián
Downtown River Hostel
€21.50

May 10: San Sebastián
Downtown River Hostel
€21.50

May 11: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€41.40

May 12: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€20

May 13: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€20
Walk day #1 (Irún > Lezo)

May 14: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€20
Walk day #2 (Pasaia > San Sebastián)

May 15: Zarautz
Zarautz Hostel
€24
Walk day #3 (San Sebastian > Zarautz)

May 16: Zumaia
Albergue Santa Klara
€40
Walk day #4 (Zarautz > Zumaia)

May 17: Zumaia
Albergue Santa Klara
€40

May 18: Deba
Albergue Municipal Geltoki
€5

May 19: Gernika
Hostel Akelarre Ostatua
€47

May 20: Portugalete
Albergue Bide - Onu
€16.50
Walk day #5 (Portugalete > Castro Urd)

May 21: Castro Urdiales
Hostal Catamarán
€35
Walk day #6 (Castro Urdiales > Liendo)

May 22: Laredo
Casa de la Trinidad
€10

May 23: Laredo
Casa de la Trinidad
€10

May 24: Noja
Albergue Noja Aventura
€10

May 25: Güemes
Albergue La Cabaña del Abuelo
€25 (Donativo)

May 26: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 27: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 28: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 29: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 30: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 31: Santillana del Mar
Albergue El Convento
€16.50

Jun 1: Comillas
Private Home
€15
Albergue didn’t save me a lower bed so they sent me up the hill to stay with a nice couple who take overflow during the summer.

Jun 2: San Vicente de la Barquera
Pensión El Corro
€30

Jun 3: Bustio (Unquera)
Albergue El Bustio (Private Home)
€20 (donativo)

Jun 4: Llanes
Albergue La Senda del Camino
€15

Jun 5: Nueva
Hotel El Luna del Valle
€33

Jun 6: Ribadesella
Alojamiento Santa Ans
€18

Jun 7: Colunga
Hotel de la Villa
€30

Jun 8: Villaviciosa
€12
Albergue El Congreso

Jun 9: Gijón
€28
Pensión Vegadeo

Jun 10: Avilés
Pensión La Fruta
€25

Jun 11: Muros de Nalón
Casa Carmina
€15

Jun 12: Cudillero
Hotel Casa Prades
€48

Jun 13: Soto de Luiña
Hostal Paulino
€15

Jun 14: Cadavedo
Casa Ina
€20

Jun 15: Luarca
Pensión Oria
€30

Jun 16: Navia
Hostal Cantábrico
€25

Jun 17: Tapia de Casariego
Hotel Puente de los Santos
€25

Jun 18: Ribadeo
Hostal Galicia
€20

Jun 19: Ribadeo
Hostal Galicia
€20

Jun 20: Mondoñedo
Albergue Montero
€15

Jun 21: Abadin
Albergue Xibarín
€16

Jun 22: Vilalba
Albergue As Pedreiras
€12

Jun 23: Vilalba
Albergue Castelos
€10

Jun 24: Baamonde
Municipal
€6

Jun 25: Miraz
Albergue O Abrigo
€11

Jun 26: Sobrado
Albergue Lecer
€10

Jun 27: Arzúa
Albergue The Way
€12

Jun 28: Pedrouzo
Albergue O Trisquel
€12

Jun 29: Lavacolla
Albergue Lavacolla
€12

Jun 30: Santiago
Albergue Lasalle
€17

Jul 15: Madrid
Hostal Edreira
€35

Jul 16: Madrid
Hostal Edreira
€35

Jul 17: Madrid
Hostal Edreira
€35

Norte expensive? On my recent stroll down the Thames Path I never, ever, found a bed for less than £100, average £125. All costs are relative but, please don’t try and convince me that an average bed cost of €40 or even €50 is expensive. What is missing from the market is the subsidized, volunteer run, parochial and municipal shelters. And we all know why.

Norte expensive? On my recent stroll down the Thames Path I never, ever, found a bed for less than £100, average £125. All costs are relative but, please don’t try and convince me that an average bed cost of €40 or even €50 is expensive. What is missing from the market is the subsidized, volunteer run, parochial and municipal shelters. And we all know why.
Don’t be a hater please. It’s not necessary nor helpful your comment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did the Norte in 2019. Prices definitely more than Francés with fewer choices. Irún is VERY high for what you get. You can see from this list that options and prices vary WIDELY.

May 6: Overnight Flight

May 7: Irún
Pensión Lizaso
€40

May 8: Irún
Pensión Lizaso
€40

May 9: San Sebastián
Downtown River Hostel
€21.50

May 10: San Sebastián
Downtown River Hostel
€21.50

May 11: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€41.40

May 12: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€20

May 13: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€20
Walk day #1 (Irún > Lezo)

May 14: San Sebastián
A Room in the City
€20
Walk day #2 (Pasaia > San Sebastián)

May 15: Zarautz
Zarautz Hostel
€24
Walk day #3 (San Sebastian > Zarautz)

May 16: Zumaia
Albergue Santa Klara
€40
Walk day #4 (Zarautz > Zumaia)

May 17: Zumaia
Albergue Santa Klara
€40

May 18: Deba
Albergue Municipal Geltoki
€5

May 19: Gernika
Hostel Akelarre Ostatua
€47

May 20: Portugalete
Albergue Bide - Onu
€16.50
Walk day #5 (Portugalete > Castro Urd)

May 21: Castro Urdiales
Hostal Catamarán
€35
Walk day #6 (Castro Urdiales > Liendo)

May 22: Laredo
Casa de la Trinidad
€10

May 23: Laredo
Casa de la Trinidad
€10

May 24: Noja
Albergue Noja Aventura
€10

May 25: Güemes
Albergue La Cabaña del Abuelo
€25 (Donativo)

May 26: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 27: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 28: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 29: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 30: Santander
BCOOL Hostel
€21

May 31: Santillana del Mar
Albergue El Convento
€16.50

Jun 1: Comillas
Private Home
€15
Albergue didn’t save me a lower bed so they sent me up the hill to stay with a nice couple who take overflow during the summer.

Jun 2: San Vicente de la Barquera
Pensión El Corro
€30

Jun 3: Bustio (Unquera)
Albergue El Bustio (Private Home)
€20 (donativo)

Jun 4: Llanes
Albergue La Senda del Camino
€15

Jun 5: Nueva
Hotel El Luna del Valle
€33

Jun 6: Ribadesella
Alojamiento Santa Ans
€18

Jun 7: Colunga
Hotel de la Villa
€30

Jun 8: Villaviciosa
€12
Albergue El Congreso

Jun 9: Gijón
€28
Pensión Vegadeo

Jun 10: Avilés
Pensión La Fruta
€25

Jun 11: Muros de Nalón
Casa Carmina
€15

Jun 12: Cudillero
Hotel Casa Prades
€48

Jun 13: Soto de Luiña
Hostal Paulino
€15

Jun 14: Cadavedo
Casa Ina
€20

Jun 15: Luarca
Pensión Oria
€30

Jun 16: Navia
Hostal Cantábrico
€25

Jun 17: Tapia de Casariego
Hotel Puente de los Santos
€25

Jun 18: Ribadeo
Hostal Galicia
€20

Jun 19: Ribadeo
Hostal Galicia
€20

Jun 20: Mondoñedo
Albergue Montero
€15

Jun 21: Abadin
Albergue Xibarín
€16

Jun 22: Vilalba
Albergue As Pedreiras
€12

Jun 23: Vilalba
Albergue Castelos
€10

Jun 24: Baamonde
Municipal
€6

Jun 25: Miraz
Albergue O Abrigo
€11

Jun 26: Sobrado
Albergue Lecer
€10

Jun 27: Arzúa
Albergue The Way
€12

Jun 28: Pedrouzo
Albergue O Trisquel
€12

Jun 29: Lavacolla
Albergue Lavacolla
€12

Jun 30: Santiago
Albergue Lasalle
€17

Jul 15: Madrid
Hostal Edreira
€35

Jul 16: Madrid
Hostal Edreira
€35

Jul 17: Madrid
Hostal Edreira
€35
This is extremely helpful!! I am really thankful you took the time to make this list. And yes, I can see it varies a lot. Interesting to note the late July prices compared to May prices (and probably Covid also) but I’m at A Room in the City on a Monday and it cost 36€. The city is PACKED too, high season. I knew it was vacation time but didn’t realize it would be this crowded!

Hi all,

Have you considered bussing forward past the touristy areas?

There’s perhaps nothing other than your desire to walk every step stopping you from doing so is there? Maybe the peace of mind and ease upon finances in finding less expensive accommodation will allow you to complete your Camino, in a way that leaves you with only good memories.

Buen (less worrisome) Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@ELHS220, Very nice of you to take the time to provide your lodging costs from your Norte experiences in 2019, but following the pandemic, 2021is certainly different. I walked it in 2016 and didn't think it very expensive. Compared to US lodging costs, all of Spain and Portugal are still a very good value comparatively, no matter what we have to pay, and apparently from what @Tincatinker is saying, the UK is quite expensive, as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok so I did this type of thing a few times. Not due accommodation but as my back was a bit sore from backpack.

Irun - so I stayed in Irun but on my first day, missed the turn for the ‘altitude variant’ so ended up on the ‘low variant’. I didn’t realise until it was too late and I was it bugged me for the first few days. Anyway when I got to Bilbao I decided to redo the first day. So I got a bus to San Sebastien, got a hostel, left my bag there, early morning bus to Irun and walked to San Sebastien sans bag!

I did similar thing ...I.e catch a bus a stage ahead after walking all day, book 2 nights in a hostel, catch a bus back next morning to where you finished walking, in the Gijon area , and also Ribadeo. It means you can walk without rucksack and you have longer for your clothes to dry!

It’s also possible in the Oviedo area!

You don’t miss
I think that’s a little unfair to the Norte. There were several albergues when I walked years ago, and reading here it sounds like more cropped up in the years after, but they appear to be closed due to covid. Many things aren’t what they usually are right now

We found far fewer albergues on the Norte than the Francés. We expected it because it is a holiday destination with plenty of short term commercial alternatives. Remember, when the refugio/albergue structure was first set up, it was not meant to compete with commercial accommodation providers, but to be only for people who could not otherwise afford to make a camino. If you are interested, there are plenty of threads on the forum about the history. Here is one.

Regardless, I am expecting that on my next camino, wherever it is, I will be paying at least a third more for all accommodation. Any business that was previously operating on marginal profits will probably have closed down, and there are new rules for providers that inevitably increase their operating costs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Because of pandemic I abandoned my plans to go to Camino del Norte and decided to walk Camino Frances. Proved to be excellent choice. The accommodation on Frances is still very cheap, many places for 10-12 euro, municipals at Galicia for 8, paid twice 25 euro for a private room only because I felt like being by myself for one night. Until Sarria, the CF was a Camino beyond my highest expectations! Nothing like you remember from 2019 and before!

Anyone thinking about a long Camino at this moment, go to the Frances, it is absolutely fantastic this year, and albergues are waiting for pilgrims! Leave el Norte for next year. Just an opinion of a super happy pilgrim :)

Photo: heading for Montes de Oca before Burgos, July 13, 2021
20210713_060006.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Because of pandemic I abandoned my plans to go to Camino del Norte and decided to walk Camino Frances. Proved to be excellent choice. The accommodation on Frances is still very cheap, many places for 10-12 euro, municipals at Galicia for 8, paid twice 25 euro for a private room only because I felt like being by myself for one night. Until Sarria, the CF was a Camino beyond my highest expectations! Nothing like you remember from 2019 and before!

Anyone thinking about a long Camino at this moment, go to the Frances, it is absolutely fantastic this year, and albergues are waiting for pilgrims! Leave el Norte for next year. Just an opinion of a super happy pilgrim :)

Photo: heading for Montes de Oca before Burgos, July 13, 2021
View attachment 105732
Thank you...this may help in my decision-making for this year. :) fondly, sandi

Where did you stay on the second stage? I am not seeing any good options. Did you walk while the municipal albergues were open or closed?
Lovely 14 bed albergue first stop after Irun and before San Sebastian. Can't remember name but delightful

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One should not be surprised at the high prices in Irun when one remembers that it is a border town, and French accommodation prices have in my experience been 20%-50% higher than in Spain for the same facilities. Clearly innkeepers see what is being charged a few km up the road and take note.

As others have observed there are fewer albergues and this is prime vacation country for Spaniards. With fewer pilgrims, there ar fewer albergues and less competition for pilgrims. I was impressed with @ELSH220's list. The del Norte is a very different Camino from the Francese- most of the towns and pueblos have a life where pilgrimage is a sideline, unlike on the Francese, and the vibe is very different. Most notably, pilgrims who are interested in evening masses will miss out over half the time. At the risk of sounding Phlistine, on the upside, there are beaches and the food is better.

Great news to hear that at least

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great news to hear that at least
Really great news as I'm planning to start from Irun around sept 1st, but whenever I look on Booking.com, the prices are more like 70 Euros. I'm not sure it's giving the best deals or it's browsing for dormitories. What site are you guys booking through when you plan ahead?

Really great news as I'm planning to start from Irun around sept 1st, but whenever I look on Booking.com, the prices are more like 70 Euros. I'm not sure it's giving the best deals or it's browsing for dormitories. What site are you guys booking through when you plan ahead?
Given the Albergue is closed, as are all municipal albergues, Irun (and for me Zauratz) just didn't have any budget accommodation when I stayed at the end of July beginning of August. I arrived in Santander today, and other than those two hotspots I'm finding a mix of Albergues and hostels ranging from 11 euros to 36 euros a night.

I bought a bivy bag with me and expect at some stage to be sleeping out, either there'll simply be nothing available or it will be more than the 40 euros top limit I've now set myself.

That said I was convinced I'd be out last night but ended up walking past an open albergue at Noja, 11 euros and I was the only one in a room with 6 beds. Assuming you don't count the %##$%% mosquito that spent the night buzzing round my head.

Not seeing Chet66’s cheap accommodation prices right now at the start of the Norte. Basque albergues still closed and cheaper hostels are surprisingly not cheap right now even though the Spanish vacation season is over. Perhaps surfers filling the hostel beds? Ran into two non-pilgrim backpackers experiencing the same crunch as they moved down the French coast headed to Spain

I am fortunate to have the means to pay more for a bed, but I’d advise anyone hoping to walk the Norte in late 2021 to be very aware of the situation and plan accordingly by budgeting more for the early stages or skipping them altogether.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah sorry to hear that prices are going up! I guess my only thought is that as COVID moves more to the background (as opposed to the foreground), folks are starting to travel so much more so prices ate going up. Certainly the last couple of months I have really seen an increase in folks travelling!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.