• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experience of AA members on the Camino?

MaggieQYogini

Time of past OR future Camino
End of May to June, 2020
[MODERATOR'S NOTE/ADDITION: This link may be helpful for people seeking AA support in Spain: https://www.aaspain.org/ ]

I am an Alanon member and wonder if anyone who have walked the Camino Frances and also an AA member could be willing to share your experience and strength of achieving sobriety on the Camino. If you prefer, message me privately. My first Camino is only 70 days away…… much anxiety. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am an Alanon member and wonder if anyone who have walked the Camino Frances and also an AA member could be willing to share your experience and strength of achieving sobriety on the Camino. If you prefer, message me privately. My first Camino is only 70 days away…… much anxiety. 🙏

Virtually every bar will have a ‘sin’ beer tap alongside the regular one (‘sin’ (without) is alcohol-free); so there is at least one Spaniard who doesn’t drink alcohol. I haven’t met him or her though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To the best of my knowledge Alanon is for those who have survived living with an alcoholic. I have not heard about specific Alanon groups along camino, but I know there are AA members and groups on the way.
I can say that among the things camino can do for you, regardless, is make space to understand that you are really good at living your own life, that you are not responsible for the deleterious choices of others you love/have loved. The wide-open spaces of camino, and the ability to reduce choices down to very simple ones that are just for you really does have the capacity to show any of us just how good we are at living, how competent and so forth.
I am not much of a drinker, never have been.
I did not find the camino difficult in that way and although there are people out there who will try to compel you to drink this or that regional thing, I have seen no problem with a very firm "No thanks". Maybe the "pusher" will be a little brusque, but the table has always cheered the integrity of the refusal in what I have witnessed.
Buen camino to you.

among the things camino can do for you, regardless, is make space to understand that you are really good at living your own life, that you are not responsible for the deleterious choices of others you love/have loved. The wide-open spaces of camino, and the ability to reduce choices down to very simple ones that are just for you really does have the capacity to show any of us just how good we are at living, how competent and so forth.
So very well said @Faye Walker !

A personal technique that I have used many times for many years in multiple countries, with family, friends, new acquaintances, and on the Camino.
I simply state, " I will have a double, two Coke Zero".
That usually generates a few laughs, no questions, and life goes forward.
Funny though, wine is included in most meals on Caminos, but Coke Zero is extra. Just my contribution to the local folks economy is my perspective.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Funny though, wine is included in most meals on Caminos, but Coke Zero is extra.
My son walked the camino at the age of 19. He did not drink any alcohol and found that he was most welcome at many pilgrim tables, because it meant more wine for the rest of them. ;) He never felt any pressure to drink, but he did say that for those in the early stages of sobriety it might be hard to be surrounded by so much wine, which is inevitably a part of meals in Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am sober and had no problems finding other company to enjoy.... The camino is not an alcoholic party unless you are seeking that out.
Hey Maggie i have walked 2 caminos sober and had no problems...it is only an alcoholic party for those who seek that out. Plenty if sober people.

One tip. Most pilgrim menus allow you to order water or wine. Just make sure if you are sharing a table with others that they know it's either or, rather than both their wine and your water.
I don't drink much and most of the time people were very accepting that I passed on alcohol, as there is definitely a greater awareness of people being sober or limiting alcohol for a whole range of reasons.

I am not an alcoholic or a member of Alanon - but I am an adult child of an alcoholic and I was raised being dragged to Alanon/Alateen meetings with my mom (who was a sponsor of the alateen group). (Wasn't my thing and I was forced to sit through meetings throughout my entire childhood - thus the "dragged" statement). Anyway - alcohol will be everywhere on the Camino. If you have breaks, lunch, dinner with other Pilgrims - chances are someone is going to be drinking alcohol. Even at 9am in the morning. While most people seemed to save their drinking until dinner - some enjoyed a beer or a glass of wine at every stop along the way. I rarely drink. Not because I am afraid of becoming an alcoholic (years ago that was a concern - but I managed to make it to almost 50 without becoming one so I think I am fine). Not because I am opposed to drinking. I just was "turned off" by a lifetime of living with an alcoholic. And also because recently I had surgery on my stomach and now alcohol hits me much harder than it used to. For me, for the most part it didn't bother me that people were drinking all around me. But at the same time - there was often a heavy focus around watching the soccer/futball matches and drinking and celebrating the game or celebrating the day. I can't tell you how many times my Camino friends offered to buy me a drink. And I did often feel like the odd man out because I wasn't partaking. No one was making me feel that way in particular - and when I did chose tell people why I wasn't drinking they were totally understanding. And while alcohol was everywhere - I was able to chose how much time I wanted to be exposed to people who were drinking. For me, I hung out with people during the day who were drinking, but I chose to skip going out with them to venues where I knew everyone was going to be drinking more heavily (usually drinking and watching soccer/futball). At dinner - you will be offered wine or water. Be prepared to drink lots of water. Unless you want to pay extra beyond the menu of the day for another beverage. But there are plenty of non -alcoholic beverage options available. Anyway - as I said - there is a lot of alcohol along the Camino - but you can guide your experience with it however you need to for your comfort level. As for the alcoholic - I would strongly consider where they are in their sobriety as to whether or not they can handle being on the Camino. My dad would never have been able to pass up a beer with everyone else. Other alcoholics have a firm handle on their sobriety and would do just fine. And me? I did occasionally sip on a 1/2 glass of wine with dinner - but I saved my "celebration" for the last dinner with my Camino family. Everyone was surprised that not only did I finish "a" glass of wine, but I gladly accepted a few refills (and the wine was especially good that day)!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For AA in the EU https://alcoholics-anonymous.eu/ I believe there are al-anon meetings on the online meeting list as well. There are english speaking meetings throughout the EU.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a badge with the AA triangle symbol for my backpack. another AA member will instantly recognise it,

Hi, Maggie: I wrote you a private message.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Virtually every bar will have a ‘sin’ beer tap alongside the regular one (‘sin’ (without) is alcohol-free); so there is at least one Spaniard who doesn’t drink alcohol. I haven’t met him or her though.
Despite its name, a beer labeled “sin” is not necessarily 100 percent alcohol-free. “A beer can be named ‘sin’ when the alcohol level is under 1 percent alcohol volume,” Sopena says. “Since alcohol is a potent flavoring agent, this less-than-1-percent level allows a better matching to regular beer taste.”

Always read the label first.

As a sober Alcoholic, had zero problems declining drinks. There was no pressure.
Being around those who over-indulged wasn't that much fun and inspired me to seek out those who either didn't drink or who only drank a little. It never felt like a problem though.

Lots of English speaking meetings in Europe, especially in Spain, but maybe not so much on any of the Camino routes. Check the large cities on the link posted earlier.

I am also an Alanon member. I did not try and find meetings. I walked prior to Covid and the land of Zoom, but I did bring one daily reader and found the trip very spiritual. I tried to keep it simple and just focused on one day at a time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am also an Alanon member. I did not try and find meetings. I walked prior to Covid and the land of Zoom, but I did bring one daily reader and found the trip very spiritual. I tried to keep it simple and just focused on one day at a time.
I am also an Alanon member, and was planning on taking a reader (though on the phone - for packing purposes - but maybe not? Very special to have the hard copy with all its notes…) I’ve already figured out that one evening a week the timing will work for me to make one of my regular zoom meetings! And find other online English-speaking ones in Europe that suit my time should I feel the need.

I dont drink at all, and had no problem on the camino with that. I've never had the struggle or been in AA, but as far as peer pressure there was none. I had one sip of wine at the Irache fountain and that was it. If willpower is an issue though, then the camino may be very difficult for you.

Cerveza 0,0 is very common, but some brands are much better than others. Heineken, San Miguel, Estrella are good. I've never seen it on tap, only bottled. There are 2 types, Rubio (lager) and Tostada or Normal - darker and a fuller taste. I prefer Rubio. For a long time I wouldn't drink 0,0 because I was worried about it being a gateway back into the real stuff. I'm 35 years sober.

I met a lobbyist for the drink industry here in Spain and he told me that Spain is the only EU member country where Cerveza 0,0 is a success. He also advised me never to try alcohol free wine as it is disgusting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cerveza 0,0 is very common, but some brands are much better than others. Heineken, San Miguel, Estrella are good. I've never seen it on tap, only bottled. There are 2 types, Rubio (lager) and Tostada or Normal - darker and a fuller taste. I prefer Rubio. For a long time I wouldn't drink 0,0 because I was worried about it being a gateway back into the real stuff. I'm 35 years sober.

I met a lobbyist for the drink industry here in Spain and he told me that Spain is the only EU member country where Cerveza 0,0 is a success. He also advised me never to try alcohol free wine as it is disgusting.
Thank you for the good news! Now I can have a beer at the end of the day and my partner can choose to have a 0.0 if he chooses to over water! 🙏🙏🙏

Rarely, do I indulge in any form-of alcohol or soda. Î try to stick to water and a great cup of coffee after a good lunch del dia or at breakfast. I treat myself to ground decaf occasionally. Sometimes at meals they will include in the meal price a soda,instead of water…not usually, however, for the pilgrim meal.

I have observed groups that look like camino families eating and drinking. There frequently appear to be a wide variety of drinks on the tables. Wine, beer, sometimes even cocktails, water, cola, juice, etc. I have not observed pressure from pilgrims pushing drinks on someone else. That said, , I do not know what happens at night meals. I am ready for bed by then!

Wine and beer is everywhere while walking the Camino Frances. You will constantly see it if you go to dinner etc with other pilgrims, but never once on the Camino did I ever see any type of peer pressure (lack of better terms) about drinking alcohol. Nobody ever appeared concerned about whether another pilgrim indulged, or didn't, at least in my experience. Not to mention, as mentioned already, the non-alcoholic beer available as well as sodas, etc.

€83,-
I imagine it would be hard for anyone with alcohol addiction problems on the camino, simply because it is an every present temptation, perhaps more than most of use are used to - in my country alcohol can only be sold on licensed premises, and the number of licenses is quite restricted.

My hats off and celebrations for those who do resist. My sympathy to those who find it too hard.

Alcohol I can easily bypass, but if I've got chocolate in the house, I eat it. Unless it is very, very well hidden. I can do that - I just found a packet of chocolate ginger - hidden inside the cover of my sewing machine. It must have been there a long time.

[MODERATOR'S NOTE/ADDITION: This link may be helpful for people seeking AA support in Spain: https://www.aaspain.org/ ]

Hi Maggie I am walking now just started two nights ago and was looking for meetings along the way. Hope you’re Camino is going well

I am looking for aa meetings along the French Camino now

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Maggie I am walking now just started two nights ago and was looking for meetings along the way. Hope you’re Camino is going well
Hi @julijuneau - Welcome to the forum! I think you may have noticed that @MaggieQYogini was hoping to walk in 2020, and we all know what happened that year! However, hopefully Maggie or other members will soon post with some more recent information.

Buen Camino! I’m 27 k away to Santiago!!!! I am an Alonon member. I was able to join a few mtgs around 4 pm. My qualifier end up not joining me on the Camino. It is tough. Alcohol is plentiful all day long !! Hope you can find Zoom mtg! 🙏🙏💕💕

Buen Camino! I’m 27 k away to Santiago!!!! I am an Alonon member. I was able to join a few mtgs around 4 pm. My qualifier end up not joining me on the Camino. It is tough. Alcohol is plentiful all day long !! Hope you can find Zoom mtg! 🙏🙏💕💕
Well maybe it’s just as well the qualifier did not join you. I am AA, there’s always a lot of alcohol in Europe lol. I live in New Orleans so I’m used to it And yes I have zoom meetings but I guess I’ll research some more and possibly in the big cities they’ll have in person meetings. I am so proud of you for going alone! Me too… And I’m only in zubiri. I’ve walked two days lol

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good O for those of you with an alcohol problem yourself and find strength in AA meetings, or those of you in Alanon with a loved one who struggles. I hope that the Camino provides you with all you need while walking, and that you accomplish your goals to keep overcoming, whatever they may be.
All the best success to all of you, whichever situation and side you are on.🙏

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.