• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experience taking hiking poles as carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
I called TSA to find out how I could get through with my hiking pole, necessary because of my new disability, and they advised that the problem was the sharp tip. So, I ground it off. Three flights now through major airports and not a word from TSA. I keep a rubber tip on it and it works great. I hope this keeps working..

Attachments

• 20230514_073550.jpg
    20230514_073550.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 5,608
  • 20230514_075012.jpg
    20230514_075012.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 20
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This may or may not be a factor, since mobility aids are allowed. Out of curiosity, are these folding poles?
Yes they are. When I asked about mobility aids they offered to set up a ride or wheel chair ahead of time, but still referred to the pole tips as the problem. I think they are able to see the blunt tips now with the scanner and let them through. This is in U.S. airports though and the European TSA might be different, particularly in towns that might have a robust pole resale market.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I was joking about the pole resale market, but the rest is for real. I'm not suggesting this as a way around airline security. Rather, this apparently satisfies their prohibition against sharp pointy things. Also, and possibly of greater benefit, grinding down the tip by necessity require installation of rubber tips.

I just departed on Saturday from Dulles with my poles in backpack. They break down in three parts each. I have the rubber tips as well but haven't removed the metals tips underneath them. This is my fourth time since 2017 carrying my pack on board with the poles stored that way. Never an issue. If it would have been I always leave myself ample time to check it. I hate the thought of my bag getting lost and delaying my hike. On the return flight I always check it. At that point who cares if my bag is delayed? I start the Madrid tomorrow!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Poles with removable rubber tips might make it through TSA and they might not. Technically "hiking poles" are not permitted. But agents have the final say - so some get through.

Mobility aids ARE permitted. But most TSA agents do not consider hiking poles to be mobility aids.

If you want to try to get a physician's note - stating they are required as a mobility aid for your disability - MAYBE you might be more successful? Maybe not. Again - up to the agent. But a physician note might increase the likelihood of your success getting them through TSA. When they are fully collapsed inside your bag - you are a little more likely to get them through - but many people end up with them confiscated still. And if you do get them TO the Camino, you might not get them FROM the Camino.

You could always just buy a cheap pair in Spain if you want to have carry on luggage only and donate them somewhere at the end. As much as I hate waste like this - airlines make this the easiest option. For me - checking a bag TO any vacation is not an option I am willing to do - but if I needed MY poles with me - that is what I would do.

On some poles, such as my Black Diamonds, the metal tip is removable (with some effort) by grasping and pulling with a pair of pliers

I called TSA to find out how I could get through with my hiking pole, necessary because of my new disability, and they advised that the problem was the sharp tip. So, I ground it off. Three flights now through major airports and not a word from TSA. I keep a rubber tip on it and it works great. I hope this keeps working..
Posted previously: Security in Madrid took my triple folded poles out of my pack and said I would have to check them. They had rubber covered blunted tips. Security personal didn't care. I wish I had used the disability excuse because just behind me boarding the plane was a gentleman carrying his totally extended poles. He just said they didn't say a word about the poles as he passed through security. So security rules in Madrid are totally inconsistent and/or selective.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Same, i have rubber tips on and they treat it like a cane which it is

I think we should close this thread now because many past threads have covered the subject, usually to the point of heated argument. The anecdotal evidence all demonstrates that there are no guarantees.

Please see this post for a succinct description of the situation. Or click on the tag "poles" under the title of this thread, to read about the topic, to your heart's content. :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.