• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiences of November /December on the Frances

DebR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 23
Hi folks,
Seeking feedback from those in the know...
I have one of those pesky birthdays-with-the-round-ending coming up next year, and - having walked the Frances three times - I really like the idea of turning [cough]ty as I walk into Santiago. But my birthday falls a week before Christmas.
My past Caminos have been in April/May (damp but so pretty) and September/October (dry and earthy). But arriving in Santiago on 19 December would mean cold, wet, maybe snowy and...?
Has anyone walked from mid- November through to just before Christmas? What was it like? What were the high and lowlights, and would you do it again?
I'm not looking for a crystal ball here, but general experiences. (Also, I'm from the southern part of Australia - we do get cold here, but snow is rare.)
Thoughts?
Deb

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
DebR,

What a wonderful time you have chosen to walk! The crowds of summer are gone and there is never a bed race.

I have walked the CF during this period at least 4 times arriving in SdC mid December. For personal comments, trials and joys check out my blogs from 2010 to 2015 here.

It can get very cold at night. Snow covered the route up to O Cebreiro late November 2012. Hence, you MUST be prepared. Be sure to read what others and I have written re Winter Walking tips in general in this earlier Forum thread. Each link leads to further useful info.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-winter-camino.35819/

Everone who walks carries a personal combo of clothes and equipment. Here is mine for late autumn/winter.

Good luck and Buen camimo!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi folks,
Seeking feedback from those in the know...
I have one of those pesky birthdays-with-the-round-ending coming up next year, and - having walked the Frances three times - I really like the idea of turning [cough]ty as I walk into Santiago. But my birthday falls a week before Christmas.
My past Caminos have been in April/May (damp but so pretty) and September/October (dry and earthy). But arriving in Santiago on 19 December would mean cold, wet, maybe snowy and...?
Has anyone walked from mid- November through to just before Christmas? What was it like? What were the high and lowlights, and would you do it again?
I'm not looking for a crystal ball here, but general experiences. (Also, I'm from the southern part of Australia - we do get cold here, but snow is rare.)
Thoughts?
Deb

@DebR
I walked the Frances last fall, arriving in Santiago on Nov. 17, By then, a lot of albergues were closed for the season. Be sure to get the list of open albergues from the Pilgrim Office in St Jean pied de Port. You may have to plan carefully to always have a bed for the night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi DebR;

I think you cant go wrong with the tips Margareth Maredith ( @mspath ) kindly shares with everyone! I have relied on her tips ( and will most likely still gonna ask her many things before my next departure later this year).

I'm starting the Camino Aragones in Somport around november 17th and will join the Frances in Puente la Reina on nov 23rd, planning to arrive in finisterra around dec 24th or so....

Be sure to have the appropriate layers of clothes to keep you warm, good rain gear, warm and breathable boots and a good adventurous spirit in order to walk long long distances if albergues are closed ( there is a website that lists all opened albergues throughout the winter. It's not updated for 2016 yet but surely they will do so. I'll search for it later on and post it here)

Other than that, just keep walking, listen to the locals regarding the weather ( some passages might be with deep snow) and Ultreia!!!

:);):D:rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back