• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiences of walking in Galicia in March?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I am walking from Astorga to Santiago from the middle of March 2015 and plan to arrive in Santiago around the 25th, so before Easter, before the crowds and also before most albergues are open. That in itself is not a problem, we intended to get private rooms anyway, but the weather thing confounds me. I have tried googling average temps in Galicia or NW Spain in March, I have tried searching for tales of people walking that part in March, but mostly I find posts where someone started from SJPdP in March. The average thing promises about 14 degrees C, but I would imagine it changes a lot from the beginning to the end of the month, and there are also pics of snow in Rabanal and sunny vinyards ... I have only walked it in autumn before so I have no idea.

So what can I reasonably expect, Galicia being Galicia? Temperature and weather wise? What was it like when you walked there? Was there any particular weather problem, something I should bring or leave at home - like rubber boots or sunglasses? :D I plan to bring layers of merino wool, windbreaker, Altus and otherwise pretty minimalist packing - is it hard to get clothes dry or do most private accommodation have washing machine and drier?

Your experience or comments are very welcome!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am walking from Astorga to Santiago from the middle of March 2015 and plan to arrive in Santiago around the 25th, so before Easter, before the crowds and also before most albergues are open. That in itself is not a problem, we intended to get private rooms anyway, but the weather thing confounds me. I have tried googling average temps in Galicia or NW Spain in March, I have tried searching for tales of people walking that part in March, but mostly I find posts where someone started from SJPdP in March. The average thing promises about 14 degrees C, but I would imagine it changes a lot from the beginning to the end of the month, and there are also pics of snow in Rabanal and sunny vinyards ... I have only walked it in autumn before so I have no idea.

So what can I reasonably expect, Galicia being Galicia? Temperature and weather wise? What was it like when you walked there? Was there any particular weather problem, something I should bring or leave at home - like rubber boots or sunglasses? :D I plan to bring layers of merino wool, windbreaker, Altus and otherwise pretty minimalist packing - is it hard to get clothes dry or do most private accommodation have washing machine and drier?

good morning -

not sure if you are aware of this site:
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/08045.html
(i queried for Tui, galicia ... hope it will show up as such)
on that site , further down is a section called Almanach/History or such ... and you can request a custom date area for find out how the weather was in any previous timeframe (provided they measured the stats)
http://www.wunderground.com/history...014&req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA
i always consult this site when i plan to travel to places i have not been before and have no clue regarding weather. quite useful indeed.
hope this works for you too - bom caminho!
c

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you both! The caminotiempo site was new to me. I know about Wunderground and have tried to find historical data for relevant parts of the route, but in some cases, like Ponferrada, Triacastela and Sarria, it switches to the nearest airport for the history, in this case La Coruña, which is a bit off the camino. Higher and smaller places like O Ceb don't show up at all. The last bit of March this year looks lovely in Astorga though, good walking weather with sunshine and 14 degs C or above, but down to zero at night. Even Santiago was warm with no rain on our arrival date minus one year. However the mountains will be considerably colder, which might make rainwater dry slower, giving more mud ... That sort of thing. But hey, if 14 degC plus and relatively dry weather is more or less the norm at the end of March I will be a very happy bunny! With sunglasses on and one less fleece!

You mention "one less fleece". Why more than one? A fleece vest and a good shell windbreaker is sufficient to keep your core warm from 40 F/4.4 C and up. Should you need additional warmth should the temps fall...a simple trash bag, precut for head and arm holes...is the ticket. Costs relatively nothing and weighs less.

Ah, rumbled ... In fact I hate fleeces, they are great insulation under a windbreaker but feel plasticky and clammy, so I will be a very happy bunny if I don't need to take it! :D I am taking a small, tried and tested amount of merino layers and hope that will be enough. As we say in Norway: If you're cold while walking, walk faster, you will be warmer and get there quicker!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

My son walked it in March 2012 and it did not rain once. I walked the Galicia part in September 2013. Most of the time it was dry but on one day it was wet enough to consider building a second arc. So basically, you pay your money and take your chance. I am currently tracking the weather over the Pyrenees as I start April 15th but regardless of how it turns out, the weather will not stop me. Might make me adjust plans but it wont stop me

A fleece was a handy thing to have on both my summertime Caminos. Not to walk in. I never wore my fleece while walking. Only wore synthetic t-shirts (short and long sleeved) while walking. It is great to have to wear after you have finished walking for the day, and are out and about whatever town you have stopped in.
On both my Caminos I did not notice that much weather difference from one end to the other. Sure, some minor temperature changes, but nothing very drastic.

you'll be walking through the first of the hills after the plains of castile, and then hilly galicia, which will be (most likely that is) rainy and cold (for spanish standards, think easily close to freezing in the evening) in the early mornings; we even had some snow a couple years ago up on cebreiro first week in april. days could be nice but could easily be cold and wet. spring comes late in el bierzo region (after astorga) and galicia. rubber boots may not be the best idea, i would aim for waterproof boots. invest in a good rain poncho and cover your gear. some places may have boiler rooms to dry your stuff, although you may end up relying mostly on the heating in your room. gather some discarded newspapers to stuff your wet boots overnight... 14 C sounds great, but with wind and rain it can be miserable, especially if some of the bars on route may not have opened yet for the season. good luck and buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for your input @tpmchugh and son, that sounds great! Like I said I will be prepared for wind and rain but it is always good to have it and not need it - it sure beats needing it and not having it! I am trying to figure out how many layers I need. @Mark Lee, I have put the fleece back on the list as an apres-walk item, that would suit me better I think.

@jefferyonthecamino - that sounds a lot like the same stretch in late September apart from the warning that some bars might not yet have opened for the season, thanks for that tip! I'm afraid the rubber boots were a joke and as mentioned the wind and rain gear is tried and tested so I feel pretty safe there. Snow on the other hand... In September I wore non-goretex shoes but I might opt for waterproof ones this time. I was hoping I would get to see spring on the Camino for the first time but will try not to get my hopes up and take it as a bonus if it's warm and dry!

I have walked a few times in Galicia in March and the weather has never been the same. The first time it snowed at O Cebreiro after I arrived but after that was fine into Santiago. I have walked the Ingles from Ferrol a few times and there have been some very wet days but not particularly cold. I also walked from A Gudina via Verin on the VdlP last year and it was heavy rain nearly every day then it snowed, it was also cold and windy. it has also been fine and sunny. Short daylight hours are probably the only problem.
But I usually take the same clothes - gortex boots and jacket, waterproof overtrousers and hooded fleece are in my essentials.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, @madrid12 , sounds like I really have to be prepared for everything - including holing up in a bar until the weather gets better :D I will keep it in mind when we set off, to check the weather reports frequently and ask locals what they think if I am unsure. Wouldn't like to walk the Foncebadon-Acebo-Molinaseca stretch in a snow storm or even with too much rain ...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back