• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Explain your forum Avatar (name and picture).

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Ok so I am bored post 2 weeks foot surgery doing ok have a follow up for stitches removal tomorrow.
I thought I’d jump on the Fun thread train. No offense meant @Pelen but no poll attached. By the way I enjoyed the where you are from thread.

So just in case you are wondering what my avatar name means “iriebabel” is mainly from the Jamaica word “Irie” (eye-ree). Which means nice, good, feeling pleasant and friendly. A friendly greeting that everything ok, everything is cool, everything is relaxed...evryting is jus Irie in Jamaica’s official language Patois And of course”babel” means confused noise (as in to speak or talk in this case). Yes I know I‘m complicated 😁

And just in case you want to learn more about Jamaican Patois (fascinating)

the cyborg turtle came from my first camino (camino Frances in 2018) many people saw me walking with my giant heavy metal brace...and of course im a slow walker due to my injuries thus the nick name “cyborg turtle”

the recent avitar picture I snapped a photo of a mural I saw on a playground while visiting Dusseldorf GE this past christmas.. It reminds me of how uncomplicated and fun is when we are children ...my current goal to make my life more uncomplicated and more fuN..... enjoy it as if I were still a kid but with an adult view of the world.

So now that you know what mine means, what’s your story ? Please don’t let me die or wither away from boredom...🤪

Thank you in advance and blessings upon you all

Attachments

• 1580910557857.png
    1580910557857.png
    68 bytes · Views: 31
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Avatar includes the Danish word for Path Wanderer and my trusty Stetson that is a perfect companion in the rainy conditions that we have even in the summer period ( if you can call it that).
That particular year it was heavy w rain on the Danish trail, Hærvejen, plenty water and hat still securing me a perfect dry scalp ....

1580914097105.png

Last edited:
My Avatar includes the Danish word for Path Wanderer and my trusty Stetson that is a perfect companion in the rainy conditions that we have even in the summer period ( if you can call it that).
That particular year it was heavy w rain on the Danish trail water but securing me a perfect dry scalp ....
Love Denmark I have visited a couple times and I love your Stetson Thank you 😃

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My forum name dates back to one I used on a motorcycle forum years ago. It was when I had a Kawasaki ZRX 1200S, so hence the name 'ZREXER.' Motorcycling is one of my other passions and I currently have a Suzuki Bandit 1250S.
My forum avatar was taken on my second Camino in April 2015 just before we walked through Villares De Orbigo.

Mark 'Joe Rocket' Stead 002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My forum name dates back to one I used on a motorcycle forum years ago. It was when I had a Kawasaki ZRX 1200S, so hence the name 'ZREXER.' Motorcycling is one of my other passions and I currently have a Suzuki Bandit 1250S.
My forum avatar was taken on my second Camino in April 2015 just before we walked through Villares De Orbigo.
😃Ride like the wind! I use to have a Kawasaki Vulcan 500.
Let the wind carry you on your next walk thanks ..I’m loving this thread😁

Last edited:
You are such a good sport, Iriebabel! thanks for this bit of fun. I changed my avatar around 25th January, to a tartan I do not have a right to, as my surname is Irish, although I am certainly Scottish. My name for the forum is a shortened version of my home town, Kirkintilloch, in Scotland.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are such a good sport, Iriebabel! thanks for this bit of fun. I changed my avatar around 25th January, to a tartan I do not have a right to, as my surname is Irish, although I am certainly Scottish. My name for the forum is a shortened version of my home town, Kirkintilloch, in Scotland.
Who doesn’t like a bit of fun? You guys keep my spirit riding high.
You are Scottish in your heart and blood that is all that matters 🤗.
Im thinking of going to Scotland ...maybe not this year due to the surgery but could be next year .want to see everything and non touristy hope I can count on you for help with places and things to do and see

.thinking of going back to Spain in April but cannot distance walk so I will settle for day hikes to get my stamina back

Update Edit...apparently both sets of great grandparents are either Scottish one side and irish our the other or Irish and Irish so maybe I can do some ancestry search ...the picture my mother’s grandfather but little is known of him except now I have his name

Attachments

• 32137E03-61BC-43BF-B26F-B61738BAD57B.jpeg
    32137E03-61BC-43BF-B26F-B61738BAD57B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
People in my event services world have been calling me jungleboy for 17 years now. It began because I was travelling in Indonesia in 2003 for several months and visiting lots of jungles. In a pre-smartphone and wifi era I checked my email only once every few days or once a week and I was hard to reach ahead of an upcoming event (the 2003 Rugby World Cup).

My current avatar is a Buen Camino sign towards the end of the Camino de Madrid. @Wendy Werneth is walking in the background of the full pic:

4A0B67A8-C3FE-4176-9B47-5D8F6D5E3421.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My name is Kiernan 🤷‍♂️

My avatar is me, beginning my first Camino (2012), somewhere between Roncesvalles and Zubiri. Walking on snow, snow from the right side, from the left side,....snow everywhere 😄
I remember that walk ..I called it holy hell Zubiri 😂....because it was hotter than hades and it was the climb that would never end not so much snow when I went but a misleading km to go sign and lots of giant boulders that I will never forget 🤪

People in my event services world have been calling me jungleboy for 17 years now. It began because I was travelling in Indonesia in 2003 for several months and visiting lots of jungles. In a pre-smartphone and wifi era I checked my email only once every few days or once a week and I was hard to reach ahead of an upcoming event (the 2003 Rugby World Cup).

My current avatar is a Buen Camino sign towards the end of the Camino de Madrid. @Wendy Werneth is walking in the background of the full pic:

View attachment 69348
I have not been on this camino but I will..i’m sure, eventually . thanks for sharing😊

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always wondered where the name Kirkie came from...now I know!

A geat and interesting thread, Iriebabel! I'm always up for some lighthearted fun!
My avatar is a photo I took along the Camino Frances, somewhere near Villafranca del Bierzo. It is brass and mounted on a piece of carved wood. I thought it unique because it was painted a lovely shade of turquoise...I love shells! My name speaks for itself. 😊

Last edited:
Name speaks for itself I believe.
The avatar is an artwork close to where I live in the beautiful small town of Borgloon in Belgium.

Artwork is called Reading Between the Lines.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Quite plain & Simple
CWBuff (as in American Civil War).
Did 13 years of Living History\Re-enactment portraying Lt-Gen.James Longstreet.
Wife for a long time had a Sweatshirt that stated Civil War Nut's Wife :p
The avatar is me sitting in the cutout of The CSS Hunley. It was used in the 1999 movie The Hunley (starting Donald Sutherland and Armand Assante) and currently located at Warren Lasch Conservation Center in N.Charleston, SC along with THE actual submarine and many interesting artifacts (incl. THE $20.00 Lt.Dixon's golden coin)

P.S. To those who are familiar with "Old Pete" I was on vacation "off season" when I took the photo, hence the absence of the beard (I would shave it off pretty much right after Remembrance Day "to let the wife remember (however briefly) who she married")

Quite plain & Simple
The avatar is me sitting in the cutout of The CSS Hunley. It was used in the 1999 movie The Hunley (starting Donald Sutherland and Armand Assante) and currently located at Warren Lasch Conservation Center in N.Charleston, SC along with THE actual submarine and many interesting artifacts (incl. THE $20.00 Lt.Dixon's golden coin)

P.S. To those who are familiar with "Old Pete" I was on vacation "off season" when I took the photo, hence the absence of the beard (I would shave it off pretty much right after Remembrance Day "to let the wife remember (however briefly) who she married")
I thought your avatar is you practicing for "bush squatting" on your upcoming first camino.

I thought your avatar is you practicing for "bush squatting" on your upcoming first camino.
WOW :eek:
Here I was thinking to myself - the moment Chrissy sees the post she'll come back with her 'usual' Buffy stuff
Who are you and what did you do with CC? 😳
😂

hey - that thing is TINY and actually is to scale! 4 feet high thats all The Hunley was. So yeah... bush squatting for camino!

Ok so I am bored post 2 weeks foot surgery doing ok have a follow up for stitches removal tomorrow.
I thought I’d jump on the Fun thread train. No offense meant @Pelen but no poll attached. By the way I enjoyed the where you are from thread.

So just in case you are wondering what my avatar name means “iriebabel” is mainly from the Jamaica word “Irie” (eye-ree). Which means nice, good, feeling pleasant and friendly. A friendly greeting that everything ok, everything is cool, everything is relaxed...evryting is jus Irie in Jamaica’s official language Patois And of course”babel” means confused noise (as in to speak or talk in this case). Yes I know I‘m complicated 😁

the cyborg turtle came from my first camino (camino Frances in 2018) many people saw me walking with my giant heavy metal brace...and of course im a slow walker due to my injuries thus the nick name “cyborg turtle”

the recent avitar picture I snapped a photo of a mural I saw on a playground while visiting Dusseldorf GE this past christmas.. It reminds me of how uncomplicated and fun is when we are children ...my current goal to make my life more uncomplicated and more fuN..... enjoy it as if I were still a kid but with an adult view of the world.

So now that you know what mine means, what’s your story ? Please don’t let me die or wither away from boredom...🤪

Well as you can see, I'm just plain Annette ...
Mind you, my name isn't really Annette but it's what everyone has called me for the past 70
years !
My christened first name is Bridget but as in Irish tradition then, one was never called by ones first name ...but by the second name which is Antoinette in my case. It would have been Anthony if I'd been born a boy

So heaven knows how I became Annette!!
Is it really my name at all? image.jpeg

At work, it was a bit of a nightmare
My name badge said Bridget but I answered to Annette
"Where is Bridget?
Well I keep calling Bridget but no one answering to that name
Well why would they....my name is Annette!!

So I "lost" the name badge

My surname isn't London either ...I just did not know what to put down when I joined the forum and as I live in London, it's all I could think of

Apparently there was once a film star called Annette London or so Ive been told

As for the avatar.....I do have a little picture but I'm unable to navigate this complicated process
I do believe however that a certain forum member with a tartan avatar is going to show me how to do it
Best wishes
Annette...or is it Bridget

WOW :eek:
Here I was thinking to myself - the moment Chrissy sees the post she'll come back with her 'usual' Buffy stuff
Who are you and what did you do with CC? 😳
😂

hey - that thing is TINY and actually is to scale! 4 feet high thats all The Hunley was. So yeah... bush squatting for camino!
I meant no offence, Buffy...just havin' a bit of fun! 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Ah @Iriebabel ...the plight of a walker laid up! Hope you're soon back on your feet & clocking up the k's...at whatever speed.

My username is pretty obvious & follows true to being an Aussie; its a nickname combo of my 1st & surnames. Aussies can make a nickname out of any name; if it's a long name we'll shorten it & if it's short, we'll lengthen it!
My avatar will be familiar to anyone who has walked the Way of 88 Temples in Shikoku, Japan. It's Mican...the mascot of Ehime Prefecture. Mican has a nemesis, Dark Mican (for reasons unknown...) but that would allude to being more mysterious (@Bad Pilgrim..!) than I am... 😇 🤔
20200206_075150.jpg
Best wishes & thanks for the fun thread.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I like this thread 👍 .
Mine seemed a good idea when I was diligently choosing my kit. It’s not so good now my kit is dusty and broken in. I should really have taken a bit more time to think it through. Too late to change now though - unless I want to go in stealth mode :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A geat and interesting thread, Iriebabel! I'm always up for some lighthearted fun!
My avatar is a photo I took along the Camino Frances, somewhere near Villafranca del Bierzo. It is brass and mounted on a piece of carved wood. I thought it unique because it was painted a lovely shade of turquoise...I love shells! My name speaks for itself. 😊
Thank you 🙏 for participating you all made my day ☺️ I am surly enjoying this
I really like the color

My username is just my first and last name. My avatar is from my days as a Dustoff flight medic during two tours in Vietnam, and then in Schweinfurt, Germany (Conn Barracks). A picture of our unit patch below. :)

View attachment 69358
Thanks @davebugg a fellow military medic and the most knowledgable gear man I know but don’t actually know🤪....still my brother from another mother 😃

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Quite plain & Simple

Totally cool and you should be interested in knowing I live 10 minutes from the site of the Brooksville raid in Florida , they do a reenactment every year las t one just 2 weeks ago I think

Ah @Iriebabel ...the plight of a walker laid up! Hope you're soon back on your feet & clocking up the k's...at whatever speed.

My username is pretty obvious & follows true to being an Aussie; its a nickname combo of my 1st & surnames. Aussies can make a nickname out of any name; if it's a long name we'll shorten it & if it's short, we'll lengthen it!
My avatar will be familiar to anyone who has walked the Way of 88 Temples in Shikoku, Japan. It's Mican...the mascot of Ehime Prefecture. Mican also has a an alter-ego, Dark Mican (for reasons unknown...) but that would elude to being more mysterious (@Bad Pilgrim..!) than I am... 🤭 🤔 😄
View attachment 69361
Best wishes & thanks for the fun thread.
👣 🌏
Thank you so much I will give an update tomorrow after my surgical follow -up
..lived in Japan Aomori Prefecture 6 years I was working too hard to walk that pilgrimage but will be going back since my oldest daughter just accepted a job in Japan . Can you say free place to stay?😁

Aaahhhh @badpilgrim at it again 😂🤣🤣

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Totally cool and you should be interested in knowing I live 10 minutes from the site of the Brooksville raid in Florida , they do a reenactment every year las t one just 2 weeks ago I think
Hah! Small world indeed. Im from Philly area so Jerom Brown of The Eagles is from Brooksville
Of course I also tend to think of it due to its namesake - Sen Preston Brooks and his cane ;)

Best wishes for your recovery...good thread.

Carolam was my Compostela name with the S from my surname. And my avatar is a photo of me setting off from home on a training walk. I did mean the photo to be temporary but haven't got around to finding another!
🙏It looks great!...keep until you find something else that swings to your current mood

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hah! Small world indeed. Im from Philly area so Jerom Brown of The Eagles is from Brooksville
Of course I also tend to think of it due to its namesake - Sen Preston Brooks and his cane ;)
I live next door ...next town over not next door to Jerom Brown or Sen Brooks but my next door neighbor is from Philly ...6 degrees of separation 😂😂😂

I was given the pet name Purky by my staff when I was working in a videostore. I started working there during my study, because rent and food, planning a real job after graduation. But then life happened, and after a year abroad I ended up back at the videostore as a manager. My staff, mostly young and student, decided that my real name wasn't good enough, and Purky was born. I wore that name with pride, as I felt it was given as a term of endearment.

My avatar is a (cropped) photo I took between Castrojeriz and Fromista, almost at the end of my camino in 2016. It was sort of an accident: I climbed up the side of a hollow road to have a look around and was blown away by that vista. It ended up being my favorite photo of the complete voyage, but I can't exactly explain why.

Attachments

• 2016-06-08-13.05.02.jpg
    2016-06-08-13.05.02.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
Thank you so much I will give an update tomorrow after my surgical follow -up
..lived in Japan Aomori Prefecture 6 years I was working too hard to walk that pilgrimage but will be going back since my oldest daughter just accepted a job in Japan . Can you say free place to stay?😁

Aaahhhh @badpilgrim at it again 😂🤣🤣
😄 You're among friends here so you can say 'free accommodation' 🤭 In other company I'd pre-empt it with a bit of gushing about missing her & quality time together... 🤣 🤗
Good luck tomorrow!
👣 🌏

I was given the pet name Purky by my staff when I was working in a videostore. I started working there during my study, because rent and food, planning a real job after graduation. But then life happened, and after a year abroad I ended up back at the videostore as a manager. My staff, mostly young and student, decided that my real name wasn't good enough, and Purky was born. I wore that name with pride, as I felt it was given as a term of endearment.

My avatar is a (cropped) photo I took between Castrojeriz and Fromista, almost at the end of my camino in 2016. It was sort of an accident: I climbed up the side of a hollow road to have a look around and was blown away by that vista. It ended up being my favorite photo of the complete voyage, but I can't exactly explain why.
You know I always wondered what Purky referred to

a great name and a wonderful picture ..I remember Castrojeriz well thank you 🙏

😄 You're among friends here so you can say 'free accommodation' 🤭 In other company I'd pre-empt it with a bit of gushing about missing her & quality time together... 🤣 🤗
Good luck tomorrow!
👣 🌏
thank you 🙏

Good point....errrrr I meant it’s would be wonderful to see my first born 🥰. Secretly loving the free lodging 😉😁

My avatar is, well, me, in Burgos in 2018, a highlight of a lovely long walk to the sea with my husband. The pic changes now and then, I have just chopped my hair so who knows what it will be next week.
My name comes from the old name for my my home town Trondheim in Norway, Nidaros - as in Nidarosdomen, a pilgrim destination in itself - I just added an A to make it a feminine.

Your icon or figure representing yourself .... Per wiki 🙂
Or was that a test 🙃 which I failed miserably ?
No test part general joke and part joke on me. I have been lost technologically for years since my daughters grew into womanhood. It used to be so easy. When i had an issue I would hand it to them and say make it work. They usually resolved the problem in moments and then would verbally abuse me and remind me that they were embarrassed to call me dad.
I really miss those days so much. That part is no joke!

Anamiri has became my nickname amongst my friends. My work mates call me by my ID name, which I have never answered to in my entire life.
This photo was taken after a Camino, in Paris for a day before flying home. Mine are the shoes.

No test part general joke and part joke on me. I have been lost technologically for years since my daughters grew into womanhood. It used to be so easy. When i had an issue I would hand it to them and say make it work. They usually resolved the problem in moments and then would verbally abuse me and remind me that they were embarrassed to call me dad.
I really miss those days so much. That part is no joke!
my children are adults too and live far from home...I try not to take that personally 🙃
I know enough tech to get me in trouble 😜.
I’m sure they miss you and those days ☺.

I love koi fish, and the avatar is of my oldest son out behind Corazon Puro the evening before we went over to SJPdP. He was rather exultant at completing the plane, train, and automobile ride to get that far. A week later he was rather less than exultant . . .

I love koi fish, and the avatar is of my oldest son out behind Corazon Puro the evening before we went over to SJPdP. He was rather exultant at completing the plane, train, and automobile ride to get that far. A week later he was rather less than exultant . . .
I stayed at Corazon Puro in 2015 on my first camino; lots of good memories and I was exultant, too! I made two special camino friends from the communal dinner table who were also from midwestern USA. We stay in touch and meet up for a "mini reunion" every fall.

Great thread, speedy recovery.
Mine is just my name, but the photo is me in front of an Ovo on my first trip to Mongolia.

@nycwalking.

Initially, I heard about camino whilst residing in NYC. And, I love walking. Not too complicated there.

In 2001, I flew out of JFK for my first walk along the way.

My avatar changes quite a bit.

The last was piglet from Winnie the Pooh.

As a wee one, I loved all things Pooh: Eeyore, Pooh, and short always smiling Piglet. I spent countless hours reading the books and playing Pooh records.

Piglet in a real sense speaks to my size: short and too round.

As I realize my regular slender shape, I decided to jump ahead of how bod looks at present.

I choose this lion.

She is an animated version of myself: short; smiling; brown; strong; a mature kittenish woman with wondrous growth and life ahead of her.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kanga because I’m Australian (ie kangaroo) and, like @nycwalking, I love the Winnie-the-Pooh books and the character of Kanga. Who gives sensible advice, is bossy in a motherly way, always takes care of people, has a large pocket into which everything fits, and has a sense of humour.

The current avatar is of a donkey I met on the Via de la Plata. Seems appropriate.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here I am looking at my 14 year old son, in 2016-- I am a bit jet lagged. We're at St. Jean Pied de Port-- We had taken the night train from Paris, breakfasted in Bayonne, (and gotten our first stamp at the cathedral), and taken the train into SJPP. We are just starting out for Orrison on our second camino.

My username is kind of my real name.. the Andy bit is real.. the wild bit is a nickname I've had since I was a teenager.. I use it here and on my blog as I am probably wanted in at least 14 countries so it helps me evade capture.
My photo was taken somewhere along the CF on my first Camino. I bumped into the lady in the background hanging around near some stables.. apparently she has a famous son, I don't remember his name, something like jeeves I think?

As a teacher of medieval and early modern literature I’m the token female among the paladins, although after this morning’s classes I’m feeling more like Daniel in the lions’ den. I am also a cyclist, hiding behind the image of my great-grandparents, because even on this forum pedants and cyclists can suffer slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Henry the dog is Henry, my dog. I do cycle through a range of pictures of him.

My avatar is the lovely Ceit, pronounced Kate, my Border Collie with a bit of McNab mixed in. McNab is a breed originated in northern California in the late 1800's, a blend of scottish Border collies and Basque shepherd dogs which are known for their great endurance in rough terrain. Indeed on my first Camino while crossing the Pyrenees a Basque shepherd dog zoomed by me followed a while later by its owner who explained that the dog was going for his daily 2 hour run in the mountains. Aside from walking caminos, Ceit keeps me mentally and physically active in retirement.Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 9.10.44 AM.png

Last edited:
My forum name is straightforward. I created it because with it there is a better chance that forum members and visitors might associate me with the couple they met on the CF in 2015.

My original avatar was: old_avatar.jpg

That came from a sign I photographed on the CF: sign.jpg

Eventually I decided to make something nicer: new_avatar.jpg

My username is a shortened form of Felicity, my given name. I never liked my name as a child - it got shortened to Flick or Flea by friends, neither of which I liked. my mother would use all 4 syllables - as in Fur-LISS-a-tee whenever she was cross with me (which was quite often).

Then, when I went to Spain and France, I 'rediscovered' my name. It got so many compliments, but what was lovely, it got pronounced differently, as in Fé-lí-cí-tee. That's when I went for the Felice username.

My avatar is a cropped photo taken by another forum member. There was a discussion about graffiti on the camino, and his photo caught my eye. With his permission, I use it as my avatar since I would love to continue walking in infinity.

Like Iriebabel I’m laid up at the moment - in my case a post-Camino knee replacement. I left for Portugal with a torn meniscus but no time for surgical repair. I did have an injection of synthetic gel that is meant to provide some degree of cushioning. On my return I had an arthroscopy to repair the tear, but the underlying issue of bone on bone contact remained so I had the replacement last month. I’ve found myself loitering on the forum during my recovery and have started planning a CF for 2020.

There is no meaning to my user name - it’s simply a nom de plum.

My avatar is a crop of a picture of a hat-rack that I made for my wife after our first Camino (her second). The hooks I purchased from a shop near the Burgos cathedral and the Camino shell etc are on a small slate that I purchased near Sarria. I carried them fp for the rest of our Camino and they made it back to Australia without damage and now my wife uses it for her horse tack in a feed shed - a little reminder of the Camino each day.

CF.JPG

My name, ELHS220, part of my e-mail address, represents the school (East Longmeadow High School) and the classroom (220) in which I taught Spanish for 35 years. The avatar is me, doing the scripture reading, at the Pilgrim Mass in the Cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Icacos is a place name from my home country. No particular reason for my choosing it.

My avatar is a key fob I bought in SdC. After very carefully selecting one that had both the shell and arrow pointing in the same direction, I was extremely disappointed to realize, upon my return home, that my little peregrino was heading the other way. One day I mentioned this disappointment on the forum. To my great delight our very own @wayfarer suggested that my little fellow had already reached Santiago, and was now heading back home. It warms my heart every time I think of this.

Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery, @Iriebabel. 😊😊

I hope I'm not as boring in real life as my avatar/name. I've been meaning to change my name here, as I (Priscilla was living in North Carolina when I first came onboard -- I'm not living there now. And the avatar is probably the first and last selfie that I ever took.

I hope I'm not as boring in real life as my avatar/name. I've been meaning to change my name here, as I (Priscilla was living in North Carolina when I first came onboard -- I'm not living there now. And the avatar is probably the first and last selfie that I ever took.
If you have only ever taken one selfie, I can assure you you cannot possibly be boring! 😃

Great thread Iriebabel,
Amazing how much you can learn of a person just from their Avatar's!

Unfortunately, I didn't put much thought into mine on joining the Forum - the "P" is simply the first letter of my surname Power.

The photo is of myself, my wife & 2 daughters after walking Camino Finisterre in 2016. I had cycled the Frances with my Brother & then met them in Santiago to start walking.

Fabulous family time, never to be forgotten.

M.

My avatar is the top of the hill in my neighborhood, Bernal Heights. Its a great place to walk, meet your neighbors, walk your dogs and look to downtown San Francisco and across the Bay. My name is my first and last name. I will have to come up with something a bit more creative :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
UPDATE:
Just came back from the foot surgeon everything looks great and I am healing well...still a bit swollen but surgical stiches removed and I can bear more weight and finally get the foot wet and take a proper shower

1581013123013.png I would post a pix of the wound but dont want anyone to loose their dinner. Scaring is minimal and after a while won’t even be noticed. but if you are interested and contemplating surgery for plantar faciatis send me PM and I will send the photo and explain more in a private message.

I follow up again in 2 weeks hopefully I will be off the crutches. ....quite hopeful for sure !
Everyone heals differently depending on severity of the injury , each person’s body’s ability to heal and so many other factors So one can never compare my healing to another person’s.

Thanks again everyone for keeping me laughing 😂 so good, so good . 1581013304222.png

Like Iriebabel I’m laid up at the moment - in my case a post-Camino knee replacement. I left for Portugal with a torn meniscus but no time for surgical repair. I did have an injection of synthetic gel that is meant to provide some degree of cushioning. On my return I had an arthroscopy to repair the tear, but the underlying issue of bone on bone contact remained so I had the replacement last month. I’ve found myself loitering on the forum during my recovery and have started planning a CF for 2020.

There is no meaning to my user name - it’s simply a nom de plum.

My avatar is a crop of a picture of a hat-rack that I made for my wife after our first Camino (her second). The hooks I purchased from a shop near the Burgos cathedral and the Camino shell etc are on a small slate that I purchased near Sarria. I carried them fp for the rest of our Camino and they made it back to Australia without damage and now my wife uses it for her horse tack in a feed shed - a little reminder of the Camino each day.

View attachment 69386
Wishing you a speedy recovery !

My avatar is my name with my birth year, to make it easy for me to remember, but it’s a giveaway for my age now 😳. The picture was taken on my first hike after shattering my ankle 2 years previously, as I was starting to plan my first Camino. The intent was to convey my triumph!

€60,-
UPDATE:
Just came back from the foot surgeon everything looks great and I am healing well...still a bit swollen but surgical stiches removed and I can bear more weight and finally get the foot wet and take a proper shower

Great news about the foot!

My name is because I love wild places (and also live in a wild place too).

The avatar is from a tile I photographed on my first camino in 2013 - can't actually remember where it was though!

Wonderful thread... my avatar is from a painting on an easel in the bar at O Cebreiro, which captured the essence of my camino: traveling light with a trusty staff and clear forward motion... carry on!
My given name, Rex, is my late Irish mother's private joke that she had a king in the family and a nod to her years of Latin study in high school and college. My sibs don't think I'm a king, just to keep me grounded.

Hope your recovery is swift and without complications. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
UPDATE:
View attachment 69393 I would post a pix of the wound but dont want anyone to loose their dinner. Scaring is minimal and after a while won’t even be noticed. but if you are interested and contemplating surgery for plantar faciatis send me PM and I will send the photo and explain more in a private message.

.. will take your word for it.
PF is bad if you have to go under the knife, so treat it proper....
Good healing....

Update: 😅
I'm still loving each and every reply on this thread! I've not been pushing the "like" button as my finger would wear out, but I am really enjoying reading them all.
It's raining today and I'm mostly sitting on my duff, so this thread continues to provide entertainment!
Iriebabel, I hope your recovery continues to be positive! Thanks for keeping us all informed!

My given name, Rex, is my late Irish mother's private joke that she had a king in the family ...
One of my friends was related to EVERY Royal house in Europe (pre WWI)... that is according to HER, of course ;)

I was told that my last name loosely translated from Russian-Yiddish means shoe-cobbler. Recn' no royalty here 😟
On the other hand my maternal Grandmother's maiden name is Pen so I am out to prove that the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is ALL MINE!!!!!! 😈🤡👏

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.