• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Explain your forum Avatar (name and picture).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here I log-on as MSPath while at times signing posts as MM or Margaret Meredith, the names on my birth certificate. Nevertheless, I have always been called Meredith, which means 'keeper of the sea'. On my first camino in 2004 when unsuccessfully attempting to clarify the pronunciation of my name as Mere Edith many pilgrims often thought that I was a nun!! Henceforth on the camino I simply used Margaret .

For an earlier thread re camino names see

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of my friends was related to EVERY Royal house in Europe (pre WWI)... that is according to HER, of course ;)

I was told that my last name loosely translated from Russian-Yiddish means shoe-cobbler. Recn' no royalty here 😟
On the other hand my maternal Grandmother's maiden name is Pen so I am out to prove that the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is ALL MINE!!!!!! 😈🤡👏
You failed to say where your nickname, Buffy, came from.😉
My dad was full blooded Italian and my maiden name was Fontana...fountain in Italian. My mom's maiden name was House. She was German and when her parents came over on the boat they changed it from its original German spelling of Haus.

Sixwheeler because I spent some time driving a sixwheeled truck and started blogging about my experiences and it has carried across social media and the photo is an old one of me in Italy and really should be updated. *writes memo to self*

As a teacher of medieval and early modern literature I’m the token female among the paladins, although after this morning’s classes I’m feeling more like Daniel in the lions’ den. I am also a cyclist, hiding behind the image of my great-grandparents, because even on this forum pedants and cyclists can suffer slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Once a teacher, always a teacher...you've educated me this morning...I had to look up what a 'paladin' is/was!
Good luck in the lion's den...@ least I knew the book! 😁
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like Iriebabel I’m laid up at the moment - in my case a post-Camino knee replacement. I left for Portugal with a torn meniscus but no time for surgical repair. I did have an injection of synthetic gel that is meant to provide some degree of cushioning. On my return I had an arthroscopy to repair the tear, but the underlying issue of bone on bone contact remained so I had the replacement last month. I’ve found myself loitering on the forum during my recovery and have started planning a CF for 2020.

There is no meaning to my user name - it’s simply a nom de plum.

My avatar is a crop of a picture of a hat-rack that I made for my wife after our first Camino (her second). The hooks I purchased from a shop near the Burgos cathedral and the Camino shell etc are on a small slate that I purchased near Sarria. I carried them fp for the rest of our Camino and they made it back to Australia without damage and now my wife uses it for her horse tack in a feed shed - a little reminder of the Camino each day.

View attachment 69386
Love the very Aussie shed spider webs too @Silus ! 🇦🇺 🕷 🕸
Best wishes with recovery from the knee replacement; my knee (still mine...just!) is aching with sympathy right now.
The hat rack is wonderful; meaningful pieces collected along The Way & then handmade into a treasured item once home...what could be better? 🤗
👣 🌏

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I first embarked on the Appalachian Trail in Eastern USA, I used the trail name Bumpa and simply carried it forward through the years. Bumpa was as close as my grandkids could get to grampa. I carry it with me as a constant memory of them.

I was told a long tine ago that others had to give you a "trail name". About 20 years ago my name was given to me by coworkers maintaining trail in the Sierra Nevada mountain range here in California.

My avatar is from the strange "lawn art" at Ronchaves. I don't know if it is permanent or part of a changing display.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was told a long tine ago that others had to give you a "trail name". About 20 years ago my name was given to me by coworkers maintaining trail in the Sierra Nevada mountain range here in California.

My avatar is from the strange "lawn art" at Ronchaves. I don't know if it is permanent or part of a changing display.
I saw it for the first time in 2015 and thought it very unique.

My trail name was given to me by my grandkids. Not trail users, but important just the same don't you think? ;)

I used to be active on Leslie's old discussion board. When I was there my name was Unklehammy which I was given to me during a night of drinking when I was in the USMC.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Iriebabel, it is your fault! This thread is addictive, and as you see, your boredom has brought out even the most introverted among us! I changed my photo to this one: a photo of the pilgrims to be found in Christ Church, Dublin. Two on every chair. Very striking. maybe I will keep this one for a decent length of ttime. I chose the status of pilgrim some time ago, when my status changed to veteran member. It is important to me to try to remember to be pilgrim, otherwise, what do I do with what the Camino offers me? Let’s see how well I do today, with the weight I choose to put on my back!

In some history lesson about the Normans - Rufus was mentionned and somehow became a nickname - I'm actually Ruth.
The photo is actually one of those rare glorious sunny days in Ireland when I went on a local pilgrimage to the place the eucharist was supposed to have been first celebrated in Ireland - Cape Clear Island by St Ciaran

On Camino No1 a group of us banded together as "Los Peregrinos Looking for the Albergue" which mutated into the "Lost Penguins Looking for Albuquerque" hence the penguin. On the other side of me is Pilgrim Ducky my Travel Buddy and one of a series of Rubber Ducks I've acquired over the years (Pirate Duck, Scuba Duck, Spotted Duck - that's an English joke BTW) - "Oh, I see you like Rubber Ducks! Here, have another one!"

Otherwise I really do look like that, perhaps with less hair.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My family come from a long line of tour operator's and I was given the christening name Londonderry then one day I decided to cycle the Camino , buy a Tilley hat and walked instead so I designed my own emoji and changed my name to Derry as the first bit of my Christian name was a bit of a mouthful 🤠

Mine is a STOP sigh from somewhere near Puerto de Erro. It was a cold and very wet day and I was at the "what the hell are you doing here" stage when I saw this, I had a laugh and carried on. A sign from the Gods or just a sign?
Edit: The name wayfarer comes from a character in The Wind in the Willows which I loved as a kid and read many times.

Last edited:
Mine is a STOP sigh from somewhere near Puerto de Erro. It was a cold and very wet day and I was at the "what the hell are you doing here" stage when I saw this, I had a laugh and carried on. A sign from the Gods or just a sign?
Please, wayfarer, forgive me for commenting! Your auto correct made a wonderful change to the word sign! I can hear your sigh from here!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I changed my photo to this one: a photo of the pilgrims to be found in Christ Church, Dublin. Two on every chair. Very striking. ... It is important to me to try to remember to be pilgrim, otherwise, what do I do with what the Camino offers me? Let’s see how well I do today, with the weight I choose to put on my back!

Interesting! Are you inspired to follow their example by setting out on your next camino with no baggage and a single pole?

Hello,
Thanks to all for sharing. My name is a quote from my son to my daughter after I asked her if she was feeling better on our third day walking from Azambuja to Santarem on the Portuguese (very tough day)
she said ‘well I’m not Good’ and her brother said to her ‘Well sister, Better IS Good’ We used that statement a lot over the next 20 days.
My avatar is of the 2 of them the fourth day somewhere between Santarem and Golega, both feeling much better, and those sunflowers!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

Interesting! Are you inspired to follow their example by setting out on your next camino with no baggage and a single pole?
Sadly, no! For that to happen, I would need a backup team, and that would perhaps mean I would not be a real, true, genuine, bona fide, legitimate, demonstrable, indubitable, proven pilgrim.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My forum name is easily explained S(ybille) + Yates, my avatar picture refers to this story http://egeria.house/estela-the-camino-kitten/ and shows me with the pilgrim kitten I fostered for two months here in Santiago.
BC SY
Oh my goodness, all this time I thought you were poorly and sneezing into a hanky - I really must go to SpecSavers :eek:

Oh my goodness, all this time I thought you were poorly and sneezing into a hanky - I really must go to SpecSavers :eek:

Esti would have been severely offended if I had used her as a hanky ;-) No, the picture was taken as I held her to be blessed at our Saint Francis service at Egeria House ;-)

1581106329173.png

BC SY

PS Edited to add the full picture.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK. So. Because of my line of work, I am a “little bit” concerned about online privacy. Although André is in fact my first name, Walker is not my actual last name.
The picture is just part of a larger picture of me walking. Which is one of my most meaningful passion. Hence the nickname Walker.

My forum name dates back to one I used on a motorcycle forum years ago. It was when I had a Kawasaki ZRX 1200S, so hence the name 'ZREXER.' Motorcycling is one of my other passions and I currently have a Suzuki Bandit 1250S.
My forum avatar was taken on my second Camino in April 2015 just before we walked through Villares De Orbigo.

View attachment 69342
Wow..I currently ride a ZRX1200R!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I remember seeing this and I think I took a picture of it too. It reminded me to just keep moving

Wow..I currently ride a ZRX1200R!!
Major regret selling it...bought a 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 after selling the ZRX. Terrified myself on it for a few years on it before going back to the more sedate Suzuki Bandit 1250S which I still have. Also regret selling my 1975 Honda 400F Supersport which was an absolute jewel of a little bike.

€60,-
Romany for, man of the road, Drom - road, Engro - man.
I've always had an affinity to gypsies, nomads, hobos, tramps, vagabonds, bums and others living on the fringes, of society.
The image is a slightly modified vintage picture of a hobo carrying a traditional bindle or bag on a stick,
When I first went to school I remember the shock on the teachers face when I told her I wanted to be a hobo, and my feeling of utter despair when she said, I had to choose a proper job. So I said I'd be a cowboy instead, she just shook her head and sighed. (I'm Scottish)
I never did get to ride the rails as I had hoped, but at least I've avoided having a proper job.

Romany for, man of the road, Drom - road, Engro - man.
I've always had an affinity to gypsies, nomads, hobos, tramps, vagabonds, bums and others living on the fringes, of society.
The image is a slightly modified vintage picture of a hobo carrying a traditional bindle or bag on a stick,
When I first went to school I remember the shock on the teachers face when I told her I wanted to be a hobo, and my feeling of utter despair when she said, I had to choose a proper job. So I said I'd be a cowboy instead, she just shook her head and sighed. (I'm Scottish)
I never did get to ride the rails as I had hoped, but at least I've avoided having a proper job.
Your story reminds me of my son. When he was in high school he had to write a paper regarding what he wanted his future to look like. In a nutshell he said "I want to live in a van down by the river." His teacher was so alarmed she called me at home that night very disturbed. My son went on to earn his college degree, flew refueling jets in our military and is a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force reserves. He now travels extensively as a civilian with his wife and currently owns a camper van and has visited all 50 states in his travels. I guess he gets his nomadic instincts from his parents, but that's another story..."the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."
They currently are spending two months roaming in Thailand...unfortunately not the best place to be right now.

Last edited:
I guess I don't have any imagination. My name is Jeanne and I live in Washington state. My picture is the first outside training walk with my backpack. BTW, the first backpack I have ever owned. Who knew I would feel comfortable walking/hiking with one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aloha from Hawaii.
I am also recovering from foot surgery. It's been 5 weeks and I'm still non weight bearing for at least 3 more weeks. Ugh. And . . . my Camino is coming up in June. Yikes. Anyway, my avatar is me at Santiago when I went with my mother on vacation as a tourist. This time I'm going to see it as a pilgrim, God willing. Bom Caminho.

A Cheechako is an Alaskan greenhorn. I'm "Nocheechako". The photo is from the way. :)

My forum name is easily explained S(ybille) + Yates, my avatar picture refers to this story http://egeria.house/estela-the-camino-kitten/ and shows me with the pilgrim kitten I fostered for two months here in Santiago.
BC SY
I remember when you posted that story. I actually sent it all around to lots of my friends (sort of seeing if one would not get a teary eyed as I did)

My wife volunteers for the local branch of "The Forgotten Cats". Her FB page is always full of new cats she meets - in hope that someone will provide that fur-ever home.

I would've love to meet Esty. She reminds me a little of one of our 2 cats - Polly Pocket
thats Polly "working" with me
20190301_095027 (2).jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I remember when you posted that story. I actually sent it all around to lots of my friends (sort of seeing if one would not get a teary eyed as I did)

My wife volunteers for the local branch of "The Forgotten Cats". Her FB page is always full of new cats she meets - in hope that someone will provide that fur-ever home.

I would've love to meet Esty. She reminds me a little of one of our 2 cats - Polly Pocket
thats Polly "working" with me
View attachment 69462
Awww, so adorable! Polly looks quite a bit like my favorite cat growing up, but his name was Tinker...unfortunately hubby is allergic to most furry pets, so my boys were limited to turtles, parakeets and a hamster.

Major regret selling it...bought a 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 after selling the ZRX. Terrified myself on it for a few years on it before going back to the more sedate Suzuki Bandit 1250S which I still have. Also regret selling my 1975 Honda 400F Supersport which was an absolute jewel of a little bike.
Ooh, I had a Honda 400F 'way back then too! It was one of the few bikes that was low enough for a small woman to ride comfortably, that's still a problem now.

Ooh, I had a Honda 400F 'way back then too! It was one of the few bikes that was low enough for a small woman to ride comfortably, that's still a problem now.
Back when I was 16 (44 years ago!) with my new 1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport. The other bike in the back ground was my Dad's 1974 Honda CB 360. We gradually progressed to bigger bikes, but I am not sure they were really much more fun the little ones.

Old Bike Pictures0005.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting thread - and haven’t been on the forum for ages.

My avatar - just me in my home town - eastern suburbs of Melbourne Australia.

My name - my real name Bridget was already taken when I joined here years ago ( and I know Annette didn’t take it!) Bib was the first alternative name that came to me as it was my childhood nickname from my 4 sisters.

A great thread, @Iriebabel , and I hope your foot recovers quickly.
My avatar is boring, just my initials and my surname, and the picture is myself and my beautiful wife, who is my inspiration. We walked together 2178km in 2018, from where she was born in Switzerland to SdC, along the Gebennensis, the Voie du Puy, and the Camino del Norte, as she was recovering from cancer. This year, after walking the Voie de la Nive and volunteering at the pilgrim's office in SJPdP for a week, we'll walk the Caminho Português.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back when I was 16 (44 years ago!) with my new 1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport. The other bike in the back ground was my Dad's 1974 Honda CB 360. We gradually progressed to bigger bikes, but I am not sure they were really much more fun the little ones.

View attachment 69464
I enjoyed your little story. My boyfriend in high school had an old motorcycle he refurbished...oh what fun riding on the back of it! We eventually married, upgraded the bike and when our first son was born, we rode it 60 miles to show my parents their very first grandchild; he sandwiched between us in a pouch I was wearing. Young and foolish we were, and my parents were mortified...never again!
Hubby still rides a motorcycle in good weather. I prefer walking caminos now, in good weather... or bad.

Just me and my wife - taken on a Christmas cruise. We joined the forum hoping/planning to do our first Camino in 2017, even bought most of our equipment, even our walking poles. But surgery and severe arthritis holding us back a bit. This forum and wonderful threads like this one have kept our flame to walk the Camino alive!

My avatar is me in the cathedral at the end of my first camino in October 2007. I took it by putting my pre smartphone camera on the pew in front and using the timer, and I was surprised it came out well. I chose it because I look chill, after walking 800km. I wanted people who haven't walked yet to see that's how you are at the end.

My name is notion900 because I have lots and lots of random notions and ideas.

P1000646 copy.JPG

My avatar is me in the cathedral at the end of my first camino in October 2007. I took it by putting my pre smartphone camera on the pew in front and using the timer, and I was surprised it came out well. I chose it because I look chill, after walking 800km. I wanted people who haven't walked yet to see that's how you are at the end.

View attachment 69551
Glad to see you participating on the forum again after a long absence. 😊

View attachment 69551
Good to see you again! As soon as I saw your pic, I thought : I haven’t seen Notion for a while -
Welcome back.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Camino Chrissy @OzAnnie thanks so much. Last year was difficult camino wise, I walked the Sanabres in August with a couple of people I've walked with in previous years but upsettingly it didn't go well on a personal level and we separated, also my friend @xmsg and I were going to refresh the camino verde arrows and guide, but his very elderly mom was hit by a car and was in intensive care in Santiago hospital. We only managed to have lunch and a catch up. So I didn't really feel like coming on here when I got back. Happily she is doing really well now.

It’s a simplistic logo of St Olav used in Trondheim/Nidaros....PlutseligPilegrim translates roughly to «the sudden pilgrim”....

It became important....pilgremages.....quite surprisingly.....and the force vanishing quite as...??....does not matter in a meta perspective....it feels right in this phase of my project called life....;)6971D515-7F63-4BF0-907F-F6544EB31D36.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some Native American (NA) ancestry. The patch shows the Medicine Wheel and feather. Often, other NA will recognize it. Some neat avatars and back stories on this thread. WVtreehanger means I'm from West Virginia and I'm a hammock camper (tree hanger).

Last edited:

View attachment 69464

So many happy biking memories - i also had a 400F. Not long after the photo below i had it sprayed white and Yoshimura tuned 😊

01A5A665-7A4C-48C3-AB3E-8AFD940A256F.jpeg

So many happy biking memories - i also had a 400F. Not long after the photo below i had it sprayed white and Yoshimura tuned 😊

View attachment 69652

I remember years ago seeing an article in a now extinct magazine called 'Cycle Guide' about a Yoshimura prepped Honda CB 400F. Punched out to about 458 CC's, wicked cam's, bigger carbs and open exhaust. Turned a rather mild bike into a rocket!
Picture attached is when I brought my bike home in crate. Did my own set and pdi.img120.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What an amazing tread is it!

I have just discovered that some of the pilgrims whose comments I always read and like are women not men as I thought before. Or other way round. Never mind a small detail like some of them being from the completely different parts of the world that I was sure they were.

And a donkey posing as a kangaroo...everything has become clear at last.

Anyway thanks Iriebabel for make me feel really boring. Yes it is my real name, surname and photo of me on my bike on the Camino Frances.

I mean no interesting story behind the photo (Meseta Central, sunny autumn afternoon, pilgrim anonymus made a photo, that's it), no surprising avatar, just bare truth in cycling gear.

I have to rethink my life.

My avatar is a combination of Isca which is the old Roman name for Exeter in Devon and Camigo which was the name passed onto the pilgrims group in Devon by @miguel_gp after his stint with the volunteers at the pilgrims office and @Tia Valeria and Tio Tel took it up.
It's my 2nd Avatar after I asked for my 1st one to be deleted in 2015, sometimes strong winds blow through the forum and the events of April 2015 proved too strong for me. I decided to rejoin because it's a great place but it easy to get entangled in your own and other people's issues so I keep my distance, much more than I used too, but it is my go to place for info on various routes.

And the photo is the 2 option point on the Camino de Lana for either the Lana and the Levante, I have feeling it might change in April if I actually get to do the Camino I am planning.

Last edited:
My user name is one i use for most stuff- ferenji means foreigner, in Amharic. Little kids used to shout it at me as i walked around Ethiopia. And since I've been travelling 50+ years, am indeed a foreigner almost everywhere.

My name is straightforward, it is simply my first name followed by the initial of my surname (ho hum!).

My avatar is a photo I took of my "pilgrim shadow" in the morning, after having left Zirauki on the Camino Frances in May 2014. I love pilgrim shadow photos. Jungian analysts enjoy!

My avatar is recognizable to almost anyone who made it to Santiago where the original sculpture is displayed.

My name on line is a combination of some letters from my and my sisters names with 2 representing - two of us!

Great thread. Just the right amount of bonhomie and solipsism :).

My avatar is the lead character in my favourite book, "Fifth Business" by Robertson Davies, the first in what's known as "The Deptford Trilogy". It's a Canadian classic, about Dunstan "Dunny" Ramsay, who the book jacket notes is "a rational man who discovers that the marvellous is only another aspect of the real." I read 5thB about once a year. Also "Breakfast of Champions", but "Kilgore Trout" was taken.

The photo is me at the (debatable) mid-point of the CF in Sahagún circa 2017.

Glad your foot has recovered, Iriebabel. The C truly reminds us of pedestrian blessings, though I'm sure some athletic wag has done--or will some day do--the Camino walking on his/her hands just to show off!

€60,-
My name, Pray'nwalk, is what I set out to do on my first camino in 2015. The plan was to walk from Avila. In August. In 90+ degree (Fahrenheit) weather. By the time I reached Toro, I had spent a night outdoors in temperatures that dropped considerably, gotten sick as a result, broken a little toe, and was completely defeated by the Way: I couldn't take another step. I decided to take alternate transportation to a few of the towns along my route (the Levante, VdlP, and the Sanabres), getting some R&R in each town along the way. After a few days in Ourense, I decided I was well enough to walk again, but only walked as far as the monastery in Oseira before stopping for a few days' retreat, as originally planned. And then I walked into SdC.

My avatar is a photo of my pack and poles with a mojon outside Castronuno when I stopped to put on my raingear for a passing thunderstorm. It sums it all up so neatly, with the church spire on the horizon.

Now I'm planning my third camino (I did the Invierno in 2017), starting early May, and I can't decide which route to take!

My granddaughters call me Poppy Pete as they have two Poppys and my avatar was taken west of Pamplona in the poppy fields during my Camino in May 2018. The photo was taken by an American pilgrim with whom I had been chatting on the forum before the Camino and as the Camino provides, he was in front of me at Roncevalles checking in and I noticed his name :) we walked together for a few days after that.

€83,-
When I first embarked on the Appalachian Trail in Eastern USA, I used the trail name Bumpa and simply carried it forward through the years. Bumpa was as close as my grandkids could get to grampa. I carry it with me as a constant memory of them.
Like you my name comes from my grandkids. The oldest couldn't say grandma so I became mama. The muddy, at the time I was working as an archeologist and at weekends took my grandson on country walks so I was often covered in mud. The name just stuck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like Alexwalker above who is the walker, my avatar represents our status in the cosmos, we’re all just passing through (juspassinthrough). No matter where you’re headed, you’re not staying here for long. Paz amigos.

My avatar is a picture I took at sunset at Elk Island national park. Elk Island is known for its wildlife, particularly bison and ...... elk. I can't honestly remember the last time I saw an elk but I do hear them occasionally during a hike. Anyone who visits can pretty much guarantee a bison sighting. For a while I took to calling it bison island. Beautiful hiking and camping there. It's also a dark sky preserve.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_Island_National_Park

As for my name. I've used this name online since the 90s.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not especially happy with my forum name, but my first choices which included Paul were rejected. I think i was influenced by Peregrina2000, on the spur of the moment. I like the avatar photo though, taken in a moment of euphoria by a passing walker on my first transit of that iconic sign in 2012. I now have 3 or 4 others photos taken at the same spot.

My avatar is a photo I took in the “Bard/Music Room” of a tower in an old castle near Carcassonne in the South of France. I am something of a history nut and enjoy good examples of medieval stone work.

My user name stands for Flying Twig (Flig) which has deep personal and spiritual significance for me; or I just made it up. 😄

Attachments

• AC635B87-402A-441D-846E-481C945B90FF.jpeg
    AC635B87-402A-441D-846E-481C945B90FF.jpeg
    913.2 KB · Views: 10
Mine ?...…. from the short stories by Giovanni Guareschi which I have read off and on for the last 40 years or so. They are as much a part of my life as the Camino now is. First watched "The little World of Don Camillo" on T V then read the various short story collection's (since republished but for a long time out of print).
Don Camillo was a Catholic parish priest. I am not saying I am anywhere near that but, for what it is worth, that was the connection to my walking Camino.
I will not go into detail but the tales are packed with friendship, humanity and even in the translation from Italian come over as beautifully written. They mostly have a pace that roll's along much as what happens when walking The Way.
I noticed a month or so ago that another pilgrim has the avatar of "Don Camino" which is probably more relevant than mine as well as being a far more apt.
Stay safe everyone.
Don.

My photo is me walking into Praza do Obradoiro after walking from Seville on the Via de la Plata and Sanabres... one of my favourites.

My forum name was my address in France... Les as in the french plural for The and Brass as a shortened version of Brasseries... but since I joined the forum our commune has changed our address ☺

Looking back on post 72 I introduced my lovely Border collie Kate. Just one week later I had to put her down because of serious seizures. She was great fun to own, she knew a large basket full of toys each by name and could quickly find them wherever they were hidden in the house or yard. Kate was an expert in the aerodynamics of frisbees and had trained all the other dogs in the neighborhood to be respectful when she walked by. The local alpaca and livestock owners trusted that she was not a threat. I smile through my tears for my dear Kate.

Looking back on post 72 I introduced my lovely Border collie Kate. Just one week later I had to put her down because of serious seizures. She was great fun to own, she knew a large basket full of toys each by name and could quickly find them wherever they were hidden in the house or yard. Kate was an expert in the aerodynamics of frisbees and had trained all the other dogs in the neighborhood to be respectful when she walked by. The local alpaca and livestock owners trusted that she was not a threat. I smile through my tears for my dear Kate.
So sorry for you. Losing a good canine member of the family is extremely hard, particularly when they are smart and responsive. I know from experience that the hole in your heart will heal, but there will forever be a tender spot there whenever you think of Kate. Be well and celebrate the good times you had with Kate.

Fun thread!
My middle name is Devereaux. Somehow the "a" got dropped and the "U" got capitalized! I'm actually not sure how that happened.
Avatar is me over Lago Nordernskjöld, on the Sendero W, in the Torres Del Paine National Park in Patagona, Chile, SA...my first real "trek". I grew up hiking in the Olympic & Cascade mountains around Seattle, WA and now world trekking and blogging about my travels has become my great passion (that and my garden..and my wife..and my kids and grandkids...😂😎). So, my first Camino started as a "trek", but ended up so much more!

Fun thread!
My middle name is Devereaux. Somehow the "a" got dropped and the "U" got capitalized! I'm actually not sure how that happened.
On a lot of keyboards, the "A" is very close to the "Shift" and "Caps" keys. It isn't hard to aim for the former and accidentally hit the latter, causing the "A" not to show up and the next letter to be capitalized. If you aren't looking at the screen as you type, you might not notice it happening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.