• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Exploration day at the end: Estella or Los Arcos?

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
I wonder what your suggestions might be for the last few days of our walk. I’ve posted our itinerary below.

We’re spending ten days on the Camino Frances, although that includes time to explore and in transit at the beginning and end—just six of the days will be spent walking.

I’ve booked accommodation in advance all the way up to and including Puente de la Reine. (I have a medical issue so the advance booking is sensible; I’d rather just roll up to albergues really).

Do you think it’s sensible to have a day at the end in Los Arcos? It seems a sleepy sort of place, but having a quiet day to soak it all up might be good. Estella strikes me as more interesting than Los Arcos, though, and I suspect we’d want to explore it, but we probably wouldn’t unwind in quite the same way, knowing we still had the walk to Los Arcos. My partner will worry about being in Bilbao in good time so may not want to hang around on the 10th.

Is either Estella or Los Arcos very different from the places we’ll have already seen by then?

Are there other options that I might consider? I’m not opposed to straying from the route to spend a final night and day somewhere lovely.
Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

Here’s the itinerary:

1st September: Pamplona (bus from Bilbao airport)

2nd September:
Saint-Jean Pied de Port (bus). Day exploring the town.

3rd September:
Walk to Roncesvalles

4th September
Walk to Zubiri

5th September
Walk to Pamplona

6th September
Walk to Puente de la Reina

7th September
Walk to Estella

8th September
Either a day in Estella or walk to Los Arcos

9th September
Either walk from Estella or a day in Los Arcos

10th September
Bus to Bilbao Airport for 22.30 flight

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I won't say Los Arcos is small, but you could easily play hide-and-seek in it without fear of getting lost. The church is worth visiting, but was only open in the evening when I was there (2017.) The small main square is pretty and everyone congregates there. Can't say much about Estella, as I didn't linger. Why not walk on to Logroño, an easy day's walk and a good stopping off/starting point? (Says he, who stopped in Los Arcos rather than walk to Logroño in 36 degrees.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many pilgrims simply bypass Estella, as the camino carries on without crossing the river and stopping at any of its churches; something to do with a royal disagreement back in the mists of time. I have spent time there when my husband was in hospital there, and would absolutely recommend spending a day sightseeing there - it has many buildings of historic interest and is well worth a visit.

I won't say Los Arcos is small, but you could easily play hide-and-seek in it without fear of getting lost. The church is worth visiting, but was only open in the evening when I was there (2017.) The small main square is pretty and everyone congregates there. Can't say much about Estella, as I didn't linger. Why not walk on to Logroño, an easy day's walk and a good stopping off/starting point? (Says he, who stopped in Los Arcos rather than walk to Logroño in 36 degrees.)

Are you meaning doing Puente la Reina to Logrono in one stretch?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Estella is a very interesting small town, with lots of bars for tapas, wine and a beer. I found Asahi in Estella a couple of years ago. There are some nice churches and an amazing view from the hill with the big church complex on. It has lots of restaurants, as well as the popular pilgrim favorite, Bar Mundo.
Los Arcos is a pretty village, or tiny town. The church is stunning and the organ is so sweet if you are lucky to hear it. But it is small and can easily be enjoyed after a leisurely walk from Estella.
Also, breaking up your Camino with a rest day in Estella would surely mean you will appreciate your walk the day after even more.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wonder what your suggestions might be for the last few days of our walk. I’ve posted our itinerary below.

We’re spending ten days on the Camino Frances, although that includes time to explore and in transit at the beginning and end—just six of the days will be spent walking.

I’ve booked accommodation in advance all the way up to and including Puente de la Reine. (I have a medical issue so the advance booking is sensible; I’d rather just roll up to albergues really).

Do you think it’s sensible to have a day at the end in Los Arcos? It seems a sleepy sort of place, but having a quiet day to soak it all up might be good. Estella strikes me as more interesting than Los Arcos, though, and I suspect we’d want to explore it, but we probably wouldn’t unwind in quite the same way, knowing we still had the walk to Los Arcos. My partner will worry about being in Bilbao in good time so may not want to hang around on the 10th.

Is either Estella or Los Arcos very different from the places we’ll have already seen by then?

estella, no doubt, enough to keep you entertained for a couple hours (or more), lots of places to indulge and small/quiet enough to endorse a long siesta.
los arcos reminds me somewhat of puente la reina, but with less character; estella is unique.

Thank you all for the help! That was pretty conclusively in favour of Estella 😀 I’ve gone ahead and booked two nights there, at the Hosteria de Cortidores. 🙏

Estella may be an easier place to exit the camino than Los Arcos, but no doubt you can bus from Los Arcos to Logroño, or back to Estella, and connect to a Bilbao-bound bus there.

Do save some time in Bilbao to visit the Guggenheim museum.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you meaning doing Puente la Reina to Logrono in one stretch?
No, I should have made it clear, Los Arcos to Logroño in one stretch! However, I see that Lhollo has booked two nights in Estella, so she can pick up from there (next year?) Something to look forward to!

No, I should have made it clear, Los Arcos to Logroño in one stretch! However, I see that Lhollo has booked two nights in Estella, so she can pick up from there (next year?) Something to look forward to!

Yes, We’ll have a final night in Los Arcos then hopefully pick up from there next time. I was a bit put off by the 17mile stretch from Los Arcos to Logroño even though the terrain looks easy; I suspect we’ll want a rest at that point. Thanks again for your help. I’m excited about it all!

Are there other options that I might consider? I’m not opposed to straying from the route to spend a final night and day somewhere lovely.
Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

Here’s the itinerary:

1st September: Pamplona (bus from Bilbao airport)

2nd September:
Saint-Jean Pied de Port (bus). Day exploring the town.

3rd September:
Walk to Roncesvalles

4th September
Walk to Zubiri

5th September
Walk to Pamplona

6th September
Walk to Puente de la Reina

7th September
Walk to Estella

8th September
Either a day in Estella or walk to Los Arcos

9th September
Either walk from Estella or a day in Los Arcos

10th September
Bus to Bilbao Airport for 22.30 flight
I spent an unexpected three days in Estella (Long story -- I got very ill and had to end my Camino) and I found it to be a wonderful place to visit. I'd go back just to be on holiday. And FWIW, if by chance you need it, there is a bus that goes from Estella to Burgos and stops in Los Arcos...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Estella probably, because it has more to offer and is easier for transport, but the church is Los Arcos is a marvel! The interior is really spectacular.

I also vote for the 12Cth Church in Los Arcos. I have been there twice and on one occasion we had the organ played as part of the Mass - totally overwhelming. Also the priest gives pilgrim blessings in about 5 or 6 languages (or at least he did in 2017).

stayed at Cortidores last year...really liked it. Good choice :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The walk to Los Arcos is wonderful; hours of quiet walking through hay fields. Hope you don't miss this.

Hello @Lhollo, as other forum members have said the church in Los Arcos is beautiful but it is hit and miss as to whether it will be open when you are there, so my preference would be for Estella. Stayed there for two nights last year in September to meet up with a friend. I had passed through quickly on my first Camino, but this time could linger and fell in love with the place. This was helped by staying at Agora Hostal run by Puy and her family. The longer stay meant I was able to walk up to the San Pedro church (there is a lift!) and was guided to visit the cloisters there by a kind woman looking after the church and visitors. This is a special place to reflect on your journey, so calm and peaceful. But my most treasured memory is of going down to the riverside by the bridge, there is a bench there, and watching kingfishers darting back and forth across the river and under the arches of the bridge. Lots of good places to eat, and the walk coming into the town is glorious - watch out for the hundreds of sand martins nesting in the high banks on your left and swooping over the river around Hosteria de Curtidores. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The walk to Los Arcos is wonderful; hours of quiet walking through hay fields. Hope you don't miss this.

We won’t miss it! Our last day of walking will be Estella to Los Arcos :)

Hello @Lhollo, as other forum members have said the church in Los Arcos is beautiful but it is hit and miss as to whether it will be open when you are there, so my preference would be for Estella. Stayed there for two nights last year in September to meet up with a friend. I had passed through quickly on my first Camino, but this time could linger and fell in love with the place. This was helped by staying at Agora Hostal run by Puy and her family. The longer stay meant I was able to walk up to the San Pedro church (there is a lift!) and was guided to visit the cloisters there by a kind woman looking after the church and visitors. This is a special place to reflect on your journey, so calm and peaceful. But my most treasured memory is of going down to the riverside by the bridge, there is a bench there, and watching kingfishers darting back and forth across the river and under the arches of the bridge. Lots of good places to eat, and the walk coming into the town is glorious - watch out for the hundreds of sand martins nesting in the high banks on your left and swooping over the river around Hosteria de Curtidores. Buen Camino.

Thank you! I’m now even more excited about the extra day in Estella. Kingfishers and sand martins nearby sounds particularly lovely.

I really liked Estella and that is where I ended my first trip. I stayed at the Hostel Agora and loved it. I'm going back in April and starting from Estella again. So, I haven't seen Los Arcos yet, but I really liked Estella.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really liked Estella and that is where I ended my first trip. I stayed at the Hostel Agora and loved it. I'm going back in April and starting from Estella again. So, I haven't seen Los Arcos yet, but I really liked Estella.
Hostel Agora is great!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back