• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Explosions at village beside Alberque Boloreta 28 September 2018

Grayway

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 SJPP to Santiago de Compostela
Greetings from New Zealand. On the night of 28 September 2018 I stayed at the alberque Boloreta
http://alberque-a-bolboreta-guest-house.galiciatophotels.com/en/ From dusk and through the evening a series of loud explosions rocked the otherwise quiet neighbourhood. Due to language problems I was unable to establish the reason or cause of the canon like explosions. Does anyone know if this a cultural celebration or something like an annual celebration in the village please?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe you could write the albergue and ask them (easier to overcome language issues)? While I don’t know about your situation St Michael’s feast is 29 September and it seemed Spain expands celebrations (fireworks were still going off in Arzua days after Corpus Christi) so if there’s a church of San Miguel near there I suppose it could be that.

The A-54 highway is under construction near there. Could it have been blasting for that?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings from New Zealand. On the night of 28 September 2018 I stayed at the alberque Boloreta
http://alberque-a-bolboreta-guest-house.galiciatophotels.com/en/ From dusk and through the evening a series of loud explosions rocked the otherwise quiet neighbourhood. Due to language problems I was unable to establish the reason or cause of the canon like explosions. Does anyone know if this a cultural celebration or something like an annual celebration in the village please?
Hi Grayway
Back in 2015 I took my family back to my berth place Malta,we arrived roundabout 10.00am within an hour the town was rocked with explosions.
We found out later that it was their festa weekend, and they carry out fireworks day and night.

Maybe you could write the albergue and ask them (easier to overcome language issues)? While I don’t know about your situation St Michael’s feast is 29 September and it seemed Spain expands celebrations (fireworks were still going off in Arzua days after Corpus Christi) so if there’s a church of San Miguel near there I suppose it could be that.
Thanks for this suggestion. Your suggestion sounds very reasonable. The explosions were extremely loud and sounded like canon fire.
The A-54 highway is under construction near there. Could it have been blasting for that?
Thanks for your suggestion. Given the date and time I doubt that it was highway construction.
Hi Grayway
Back in 2015 I took my family back to my berth place Malta,we arrived roundabout 10.00am within an hour the town was rocked with explosions.
We found out later that it was their festa weekend, and they carry out fireworks day and night.
Thanks - the joy of celebrations

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The explosions were extremely loud and sounded like canon fire.
I live in a rural area of the US. Illegal mortar type fireworks seem to find their way here every 4th and New Years. Or it could even be a cannon I suppose…the Bataan Death March Memorial marathon uses a cannon to start the race, luckily I’d already been to the port-a-Johns just before 😳

During the mid 1980's we were driving along the South coast of Turkey in a very remote part where the road was within metres of the water.

We saw a sign that indicated a site with ancient ruins just off the road at the top of the cliff. As we drove up the cliff I could see a large naval warship just off the coast. This was at a time of considerable hostilities between Turkey and Greece.

We got to the entrance of the ruin site and there was fence around the whole site with a gate across the entrance way with a sort of guard station next to the gate. There was a sign on the gate, in Turkish of course, and we could not understand what the sign said. No Google Translate on mobile phones in those days.

I parked by the gate and got out looking for the guard but couldn't find anyone. I called out loudly but got no response and so I looked at the gate. It was latched but not locked or chained and so I opened the gate, drove in and parked inside. We then got out of the car and started exploring the site.

It was an extensive and interesting site and about 20 minutes after we had been there, there was an explosion not very far away and we were showered with stones. We quickly ducked into shelter and as I moved I noticed what seemed to be smoke from the guns on the warship which was followed by another explosion near by.

I said to my wife "I think that we are being shelled"! Initially I thought that the warship was a Greek ship and wondered why they would be attacking us or this remote ruin. Then I noticed the flag on the stern and saw that it was a Turkish ship which seemed even more strange.

We hunkered down for a while until the explosions stopped. I then went outside, took my white t-shirt off, waved it around and jumped up and down while looking in the direction of the ship.

We couldn't tell if anyone had seen me and so we stayed close to the shelter. There were no more explosions and about 5 minutes later a guy in a uniform drove up in a jeep type vehicle, got out and started yelling at us in Turkish. We couldn't understand what he was saying but we understood that we needed to get out of there and so we got into his vehicle, he drove us to the gate and watched while we got into our car and drove away.

We still don't know what was happening that day but it sure was exciting!

During the mid 1980's we were driving along the South coast of Turkey in a very remote part where the road was within metres of the water.

We saw a sign that indicated a site with ancient ruins just off the road at the top of the cliff. As we drove up the cliff I could see a large naval warship just off the coast. This was at a time of considerable hostilities between Turkey and Greece.

We got to the entrance of the ruin site and there was fence around the whole site with a gate across the entrance way with a sort of guard station next to the gate. There was a sign on the gate, in Turkish of course, and we could not understand what the sign said. No Google Translate on mobile phones in those days.

I parked by the gate and got out looking for the guard but couldn't find anyone. I called out loudly but got no response and so I looked at the gate. It was latched but not locked or chained and so I opened the gate, drove in and parked inside. We then got out of the car and started exploring the site.

It was an extensive and interesting site and about 20 minutes after we had been there, there was an explosion not very far away and we were showered with stones. We quickly ducked into shelter and as I moved I noticed what seemed to be smoke from the guns on the warship which was followed by another explosion near by.

I said to my wife "I think that we are being shelled"! Initially I thought that the warship was a Greek ship and wondered why they would be attacking us or this remote ruin. Then I noticed the flag on the stern and saw that it was a Turkish ship which seemed even more strange.

We hunkered down for a while until the explosions stopped. I then went outside, took my white t-shirt off, waved it around and jumped up and down while looking in the direction of the ship.

We couldn't tell if anyone had seen me and so we stayed close to the shelter. There were no more explosions and about 5 minutes later a guy in a uniform drove up in a jeep type vehicle, got out and started yelling at us in Turkish. We couldn't understand what he was saying but we understood that we needed to get out of there and so we got into his vehicle, he drove us to the gate and watched while we got into our car and drove away.

We still don't know what was happening that day but it sure was exciting!
yup...and people ask ....why do you travel???.....love it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back