• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Express Bourricot vs. Train?

Brian E

Time of past OR future Camino
May/ 2018
May 2019
Sept 2019
So I have started booking flights and other arrangements for a May 2018 Camino. I have decided to fly from CO to Paris and then fly into Biarritz and now deciding on how to get from Biarritz to St. Jean. I kind of like the notion of seeing the faces and anticipation/excitement of what I am assuming would be a lot of pilgrims on the train ride into St. Jean?
On the other hand, Express Bourricot seems pretty easy, fast, and convenient and I would imagine I would be sharing a ride with a few others and not be catching a ride solo? Maybe I will find my Camino BFF's on the Express B ride in? Any thoughts on what people liked or preferred or would maybe do different?

Thanks
Brian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Express Bourricot seems pretty easy, fast, and convenient and I would imagine I would be sharing a ride with a few others and not be catching a ride solo?

Congratulations on setting off on your Camino, I'm sure you will find it to be a remarkable experience. Express Bourricot is the easiest way to get there. The bus/train is the cheapest, but you need to be comfortable with catching public transit, which is easier than it may seem. In the end, it makes no difference what you choose. You are gonna meet a lot of people on the Frances in May. Whats your hurry? Everyone who took the shuttle or the train, or walked from Biarritz, or skipped the Pyrenees and started in Roncesvalles or Pamplona, or joined from another trail in Leon, or caught up with you because they are a faster walker, or you caught them because they took a rest day, or any other reason, will all be on the trail with you everyday. For me, part of the experience is a chance to meet them all. And meet them you will, the shared experience of pilgrimage binds you to every other walker carrying a backpack and headed West.

Buen Camino!

Bus routes A1 and A2 were regular and went from Biarritz to Bayonne railway station for euro 1. I found bus and rail fairly easy to use. Routes on chronoplus.eu website. I took a pic of timetable at bus stop a few weeks ago. Attached to give you an idea of frequency.

Attachments

• AD24D333-5CF5-452F-823D-198700E1CA08.jpeg
    AD24D333-5CF5-452F-823D-198700E1CA08.jpeg
    796.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2329AA6A-B81F-4625-96E9-C647670B08BC.jpeg
    2329AA6A-B81F-4625-96E9-C647670B08BC.jpeg
    785.5 KB · Views: 22
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So I have started booking flights and other arrangements for a May 2018 Camino. I have decided to fly from CO to Paris and then fly into Biarritz and now deciding on how to get from Biarritz to St. Jean. I kind of like the notion of seeing the faces and anticipation/excitement of what I am assuming would be a lot of pilgrims on the train ride into St. Jean?
On the other hand, Express Bourricot seems pretty easy, fast, and convenient and I would imagine I would be sharing a ride with a few others and not be catching a ride solo? Maybe I will find my Camino BFF's on the Express B ride in? Any thoughts on what people liked or preferred or would maybe do different?

Thanks
Brian

I have no idea about taking the train. I have used Express Bourricot and found it a terrific way to get to SJPdP. It was there when I landed in Biarritz, so not much waiting to depart; the van had a number of others, which is common, so the expense to me was around 30 Euro; And it was a quick ride to SJPdP, which meant I had more time to sightsee. :) As I said, I have no way to compare EB to the train, but the next time I will use EB again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wanted to use EB, taxi share or the Biarritz Airport transfer service to SJ but couldn't anybody to do it on 15/9/17, so the bus/train transfer was my plan B that I had to use on the day. Not sure if it was the time my flight arrived at 1.15pm, but the bus and train was a pleasant surprise and only took about 1.5 hours anyway for a total of 11 euro. Also walking from the train station in SJ to the Pilgrims Office is exciting when you see you first yellow arrow with other pilgrims.

I used Express Bourricot so I could get to SJPDP quickly and start walking the same day. We met a couple of other pilgrims on the ride and started walking with one of them that day.

Can’t compare as haven’t done both but the bus/train option was full of pilgrims, easy to do, and heaps exciting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both are good. Six of one, half a dozen of another..
Caroline offers a wonderful service, especially if you're arriving in Biarritz too late for the train and/or don't mind spending a bit more.
The train is full of fellow pilgrims, with its own special vibe - besides being cheap and convenient.
Either way you win.
(BTW, off topic, but not all flights to BIQ depart from CDG. If your flight's out of Orly, give yourself LOTS of time to transit: you have to get there by bus or Metro from CDG, then have to go through the whole check-in/security thing all over again. It takes quite some time.)

The public transportation from Biarritz by bus to Bayonne was easy, as was the onward train trip to SJPP. There are lots of pilgrims who took this option when we arrived in early September. Seated in the front car, the train conductor even allowed me to come up front and see him drive the train, take pictures and share a conversation. The train ride was lovely and then an easy walk into downtown SJPP.

20170909_180016.jpg 20170909_180016.jpg

Brian, unless you want to go to Paris in advance for tourist reasons, I'd recommend flying into Madrid, then taking a bus or train to Pamplona and then bus to St Jean. See my PM / Conversation with my phone number--I'm also in Denver/Littleton.

Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks
Brian

I'm at the same part of planning as you with 28 weeks to go. It seems like so far away still!
I've decided on doing the Express Bourricot. I've heard good things - even if I'm alone its roughly the cost of a taxi (so I'm quoted) and because I land in Biarritz around 6ish in the evening, saving that 30 minutes to and hour that the bus train might add is worth it to me. I've read too that you can stipulate in your email to them that you only want to use the express if there is at least one other to share the cost with and then you aren't surprised with the full cost.

I recommend the train as it is part of the seminal pilgrim experience, at least IMHO.

The ride is very interesting, the view astounding, and the people you meet you will be around for the next five weeks or so. FYI the small light-rail train DOES have a WC in the middle, over the articulated "knuckle."

It is as good a time as any to start making friends. and forming your "camino family."

I hope this helps.

I also love that train! The excitement of seeing everyone climb aboard with their backpacks, exchanging first "Buen Caminos", knowing that they are also about to start, and then when you all get out of the train together, everyone milling around trying to get their bearings, and then all heading up together towards the pilgrims office.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anyone been picked up by EB at Bayonne Train Station before? Any issues there or was it all fairly straight forward? I'm just waiting for my confirmation email back from them and thought I'd ask in the interim. Thanks, y'all:)

Has anyone been picked up by EB at Bayonne Train Station before? Any issues there or was it all fairly straight forward? I'm just waiting for my confirmation email back from them and thought I'd ask in the interim. Thanks, y'all:)

I used EB first time out. Easy. The minivan with sign was in the station car park.

This time we'll try the train. Sounds like fun.

Thanks
Brian
I took the train. It was a pleasant experience, and no negatives I can think of.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took the train. It was a pleasant experience, and no negatives I can think of.

Train is a good option but the timings may not match with flights into BIQ. Best to check both flight times and train times. Otherwise it's EB or a taxi.

I arrived at Biarritz airport on Ryanair from Dublin. I had planned to take the bus to Bayonne train station and then the train to SJPP but as I waited in line at passport control another passenger alongside me asked if I was interested in sharing Express Bouricot with him and 3 others. I agreed,it was fast and efficient and cost me 19 euros.

I've done both. My first camino I flew into Paris and took a train to Bayonne, then the next morning I took the train to SJPdP. It was exciting to meet pilgrims on the train. (The first pilgrim I met on both trips was at the Toronto airport!)

The second camino I flew into Paris and then flew to Biarritz. In Paris while waiting for the second flight, I met many pilgrims and before boarding the flight we found enough pilgrims to fill the Express Bourricot van.

I enjoyed the train ride the first time, but after two flights, it was nice to be picked up and dropped off in SJPdP. You may want to think about how well you travel, the length of time you have been travelling to arrive in Biarritz and where you are staying in SJPdP. You will probably meet lots of people at the albergue as well. Also, would you feel you missed something if you don't take the train?

I don't think it will make a difference to whether or not you meet other people to walk with. It is just a very small part of an exciting adventure! Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done both. My first camino I flew into Paris and took a train to Bayonne, then the next morning I took the train to SJPdP. It was exciting to meet pilgrims on the train. (The first pilgrim I met on both trips was at the Toronto airport!)

The second camino I flew into Paris and then flew to Biarritz. In Paris while waiting for the second flight, I met many pilgrims and before boarding the flight we found enough pilgrims to fill the Express Bourricot van.

I enjoyed the train ride the first time, but after two flights, it was nice to be picked up and dropped off in SJPdP. You may want to think about how well you travel, the length of time you have been travelling to arrive in Biarritz and where you are staying in SJPdP. You will probably meet lots of people at the albergue as well. Also, would you feel you missed something if you don't take the train?

I don't think it will make a difference to whether or not you meet other people to walk with. It is just a very small part of an exciting adventure! Buen camino!
I have done both as well and would write the exact same words as CdnDreamer if she had not already done so.

Hi, my cousin and I are just looking at booking flights and flights into SJPdP are tricky - need to change airports and time factors. What airport did you fly into - and does the train leave from the airport? Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Sandra Butchko I believe the train to Bayonne leaves from downtown Paris. You can catch trains from the Paris (CDG) airport to the train station. Check Rome2Rio website for information. I flew from Toronto to Paris (CDG) because it is cheaper than going to Madrid. Easy Jet flies from CDG to Biarritz airport, usually twice a day. I didn't have to change airports when I arrived in France.

We took EB and my husband had an enjoyable conversation with the driver about fly fishing in the Basque country. Phil speaks no French and the driver spoke very little English, but the language of a fly fisherman apparently knows no boundaries. The trip was convenient for us although more costly as there were no other passengers. Our plane from Paris had other pilgrims who apparently took the bus (train tracks washed out at that time.) I have a tendency toward motion sickness and since the road is narrow and hilly, twisty, I think the bus might have done me in.o_O

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back