• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

External Chargers on Airplanes

KenProudler

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
I have just bought an Anker Astra E1 6700 for use on my CF starting next week - but there seems to be some doubt about taking external chargers on airplanes. What is the situation - hand luggage, hold luggage, or not at all?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe that it should be in the cabin, not in the hold.

According to FAA rules

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.

I'm not sure if that applies to external chargers like yours, but I have always carried mine in the cabin.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From my experience, the issue seems to be fully charged lithium ion batteries in your checked bags. Also, some devices; laptops, etc. have lithium ion batteries that have proven problematic and are presently banned from commercial airlines.

If the external battery pack / charger is carried in your carry-on bag, and available for inspection, you should be okay. Double check with your appropriate aviation authority, e.g. ww.tsa.org (US).

Hope this helps.

Do you need one? Most phones charge will last a day and there are always plenty of charging points in alburgues. Save some weight and leave it at home:)

I used to bring one. Then I thought better of it and left it behind to save weight.

Presently, I carry an Apple, Euro-spec adapter with two round prongs. I bought it in Spain. It is the size of an old-school Zippo cigarette lighter and stows easily, together with a one meter charging cable.

I put these items in a small (snack size) ziplock and throw them in a cargo pocket. Where I go, the phone charger and cable go...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bring it, especially it it's cheap and lightweight. I see so many phones left charging on their own in albergues while the owners go out to dinner - and I have heard so many reports of stolen phones. Nobody can be bothered to steal my bright green, €10 powerbank - and then I can charge my phone from that...

I travel domestically and internationally with my power packs in my carry-on luggage and have never had a problem. Lithium batteries are generally not allowed in the checked baggage.

I have just bought an Anker Astra E1 6700 for use on my CF starting next week - but there seems to be some doubt about taking external chargers on airplanes. What is the situation - hand luggage, hold luggage, or not at all?
Phones are one of the things most likely to be stolen. I am more comfortable with my phone in my pocket and a $10 battery charging unattended on the wall.
TSA has no problem with a small lithium battery in the cabin.
Good luck and buen camino.

Gary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anyone with the time to spare could try searching "airplane lithium fire" in Godgle (other search engines are available). Given the known instabilities of Lithium batteries current theory seems to be that if your battery should burst into flames in the cabin it is easier dealt with than if it bursts into flames in the hold.

That said, at present, most airport security seems much more concerned by the havoc a passenger could wreak with 150ml of shampoo or sunscreen than whether that lump of plastics, metals, and a flammable electrolyte could represent an excludable hazard. Students of complexity might enjoy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery.

The generality of advice and current boarding control theory seems to be "hand luggage".

I am aware that it is impossible to walk Camino without a mobile phone so I won't suggest it as an alternative control of the risk. ;)

I’m looking for recommendations on which portable charger pack to purchase. While it would be nice to save the weight, I plan to use my phone for camera, maps, and guidebook while walking and prefer not to take chances. There is also the issue of less risk to charging the portable than charging the iPhone previously mentioned.

I did bring a 10.000mAh (220gr.) Powerbank and my FastCharge Loader for my Phone.
I used the Powerbank a few times as back up on the way between albergues. I used my phone for Instagram, waylogging, photos and via the most used app as a guidebook. Called / mailed few times ahead to ask for accomodation. Most of the time my phone lasts 2 days per charge (5000mAh battery).

If you will use your phone as mentioned you need to charge every evening or on the go.
Bring charger and powerbank.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IMHO and experience it comes down to how long your phone battery will last before requiring a recharge, and what size power pack you need.

If your smartphone battery tops off at, say 1,300 mAH, it is IMHO false economy to carry a larger, heavier power bank charger that holds perhaps 20,000 mAH, or more. This means that you could recharge your phone completely about 15 times, before the power bank charger was fully depleted....but why?

In my experience, my iPhone Xr last two full days, with a GPS guide, like one of the newer versions of the Wise Pilgrim Guides running all the time. The sole other use while I am walking is as a camera. I don't use social media, and stay away from email and texts until I stop for a break or at the end of my day. My usage is a balance between going dark while on Camino, and using the smartphone as a tool, like a digital Swiss Army Knife.

I carry the smallest available external power cell that will top off my iPhone - 1,300 mAH. I think the charger pack holds 1,500 mAH worth of replacement power. That gives me from 3 - 4 days between plug in charging. But it weighs a fraction of one of the biggest most powerful charging packs.

Has ANYONE needed that sort of time in-between plug in charging on the Camino de Santiago? I am sure these folks are among the exception rather than the rule.

As a general statement, the greater the number of mAH capacity the external power pack charger holds, the larger and heavier it will be. After water, batteries, of all formats, are about the most dense,heaviest item you would be carrying.

So, my considered advice is to obtain the smallest, lightest external power pack that will support one (but no more than two complete recharges of your smartphone.

Hope this helps.

The use of mobile telephones is inevitable nowadays and the battery is a weak link if the phone is used, especially to take pictures or videos. Is there any alternative to carrying a spare battery to ensure that you dont run out and solar chargeres dont appear to be successful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The use of mobile telephones is inevitable nowadays and the battery is a weak link if the phone is used, especially to take pictures or videos. Is there any alternative to carrying a spare battery to ensure that you dont run out and solar chargeres dont appear to be successful.
Don't get caught in the thinking that having a mobile is inevitable. It is still possible to walk without one, or perhaps to just turn it off. Having it instantly accessible isn't really necessary.

However, it sounds like you are going to want it on. You might consider any number of power saving approaches - the web is full of them. Install a power monitoring app and work out what is eating your lunch on this, and decide what to turn off. Location used to be the monster, but that has got better over time. Anything that continually monitors your email, Facebook, etc is also worth disabling. Put your phone in airplane mode until you want to use it, unless you intending to install one of the emergency apps that relies on having a phone service active.

If your phone has a power saving mode, use the most aggressive one available, and be selective about which apps you allow to be used in it. Put the screen in dark mode if nothing else or dim it as far as possible.

Solar chargers can be useful, but I haven't used one regularly recently, so I am not sure why you think they won't be successful. In the past, I have used a solar charger to charge up a power bank that then charges my phone overnight. Worked quite well.

I have always found that as long as you charged every night and were 100% before setting off the phone is generally capable of lasting the day. If not try one of these - https://powertraveller.com/collections/power-packs/products/swift-40-power-pack - more weight but they work and there is a huge selection available. Google powerpack for phone.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.