• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

External-frame Packs?

Glenn Rowe

Time of past OR future Camino
I know they're fast becoming extinct, but I have a complete external-frame backpack that I first bought in the 1980s and have used danged near everywhere. I "customized" it by shortening the frame so that nothing sticks up above my jawline -- a necessary modification when one frequently travels through pretty thick bush. (Did I mention that I'm originally from the central Gulf Coast - Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida?) When the packbag finally wore out I replaced it, but kept the frame and etc.

So here's my question. In my younger years I played American football, resulting in neck and shoulder problems plus two herniated lumbar discs. When properly adjusted, the external frame places about 90% of the weight on my hips, bypassing my "problem areas" almost completely.

So, what do y'all say about the possibility of my using it successfully on the Camino Frances?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What matters most is how it fits and how much it weighs once filled. 8kg is a good number to aim for. If you can decrease the weight of its content to make up for the bag's own weight, then I can't think of a reason I would poopoo the idea. Especially considering your back issues.

Fill it up with what you plan on bringing and weigh it. Go for a couple of longish walks with it and see if it's still as comfortable as you remember it being.

An one thing is certain: no one will pick it up by mistake thinking its theirs. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How much does it weigh, what is its volume, and how comfortable is it to carry for 20-km, day after day?

It probably weighs about 4.5 pounds (2 kilos), volume approximately 45-50 liters not including the external sleeping bag storage if needed -- and it probably won't be. Back in the 1980s-1990s I routinely carried approx. 35 pounds (16 kilos), frequently cross-country, for days at a time. Aside from the natural resistance to torso-twisting, it was quite comfortable.

Of course, I was in my 40s and 50s then. I'm just a wee bit older now.

Back in the 1980s-1990s I routinely carried approx. 35 pounds (16 kilos), frequently cross-country, for days at a time.
You are the best person to judge if it will work for you, especially since you have the pack there. Just load it up with what you expect to carry, and go out for 20 km! ;) Then report back to us! :D

Have you actually tried out one of the more modern backpacks? If adjusted correctly they also place the weight on your hips! If your living near a REI store or similar you could try out different (and lighter!) models. The Camino isn't a wilderness walk and you will need far less stuff than you might think ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sure it can work, just about anything can. Many of us obsess about the newest, lightest gear but tried and true is good too. If you are getting 90% on the hips and you can keep you weight to a minimum (16-18lbs for a fall Camino should be achievable) then I say buy a rain cover that fits and go for it. Worst case scenario? Buy a new one in Spain, there are many gear stores along the way for just such an occasion.

I have an Arc Blast pack from Z Pack (they are not sold retail, only through their website. It has carbon stays that are external -- and it only weighs one pound!! I love it, it fits me so well, and I feel like I'm not wearing a pack. It's not cheap, however. But the best piece of equipment I had on the Camino.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

I'm in the 'only you can tell' school, but comparing my late 1970s Berghaus Centurion (~55 li, 1.67 kg) to packs I currently use, I would observe:
  1. the harness is rudimentary. While it might achieve the load transfer to the hips, the hip padding is both narrow and thin by comparison, with the result that there will be higher pressures where it sits on the hips and shoulders. The shoulder strap webbing is only just as wide as that on my 18 li day bag I use locally - somewhat narrower than the straps on any of my larger packs. Similarly for the hip belt and mesh panel.
  2. there are few load control features on the harness and bag. This probably isn't unusual for an external ladder frame arrangement, but it really is a relatively simple bag hung onto the frame. No side compression straps, mesh side or back pockets, hydration bladder sleeve, etc.
  3. Rather than a pocket in the top flap, it has a simple flap and two side pockets at top of the pack. I remember that this wasn't an unusual approach at the time. However, features like a more secure pocket under the lid that isn't accessible from outside the pack, an internal storm flap or a strap at the top of the bag to secure the load were still a few years off.
So while I wouldn't expect to find anything all that much lighter in an equivalent modern design, they will have a lot more 'features', some of which will be more useful to you than others. But then, if you haven't missed these anyhow and find your current pack perfectly workable, you may not find any fancy feature list of practical value anyhow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If the pack works for you and is comfortable, I'd go with it. When walking the Camino Frances you can easily get away with 20 pounds or less of gear in your pack. It's a series of long day walks between towns and cities and not backpacking in the traditional sense.
My only concern with an external frame pack is any problems you might encounter if you decide to carry-on the pack on the airline.
Back in the 1980's when I used to do some backpacking with friends while in college, all we had were the aluminum external frame packs, and damn we used to put a lot of stuff in them, but they weren't as heavy when I was in my 20's, ha ha. I remember when a friend of mine got a new Coleman pack that had an external frame made of plastic that was lighter and conformed with your body when you carried it. We thought that was really high tech, ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the 'only you can tell' school, but comparing my late 1970s Berghaus Centurion (~55 li, 1.67 kg) to packs I currently use, I would observe:
  1. the harness is rudimentary. While it might achieve the load transfer to the hips, the hip padding is both narrow and thin by comparison, with the result that there will be higher pressures where it sits on the hips and shoulders. The shoulder strap webbing is only just as wide as that on my 18 li day bag I use locally - somewhat narrower than the straps on any of my larger packs. Similarly for the hip belt and mesh panel.
  2. there are few load control features on the harness and bag. This probably isn't unusual for an external ladder frame arrangement, but it really is a relatively simple bag hung onto the frame. No side compression straps, mesh side or back pockets, hydration bladder sleeve, etc.
  3. Rather than a pocket in the top flap, it has a simple flap and two side pockets at top of the pack. I remember that this wasn't an unusual approach at the time. However, features like a more secure pocket under the lid that isn't accessible from outside the pack, an internal storm flap or a strap at the top of the bag to secure the load were still a few years off.
So while I wouldn't expect to find anything all that much lighter in an equivalent modern design, they will have a lot more 'features', some of which will be more useful to you than others. But then, if you haven't missed these anyhow and find your current pack perfectly workable, you may not find any fancy feature list of practical value anyhow.
Good points, especially about the rigging and harness technology. One feature of most of the old external frame packs was a lot of external pockets; for some that is a plus, for others, maybe not so. The carry-on issue noted by @Mark Lee could be a problem, and even if the external pack is checked, there's a lot of straps and exposed frame components that could hang up or be damaged in the cargo bay, so placing the pack in a box or duffle may be advisable.

... I remember when a friend of mine got a new Coleman pack that had an external frame made of plastic that was lighter and conformed with your body when you carried it. We thought that was really high tech, ha ha.
I had one of those Coleman packs and thought I was pretty avant-garde at the time :D. I only recently gave it away to the grandson of a friend when my wife made me clean the packrat nest I call my basement.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have an Arc Blast pack from Z Pack (they are not sold retail, only through their website. It has carbon stays that are external -- and it only weighs one pound!! I love it, it fits me so well, and I feel like I'm not wearing a pack. It's not cheap, however. But the best piece of equipment I had on the Camino.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml
Those Zpacks look awesome. If money were no object I'd love to have their Arc Zip backpack.

I had one of those Coleman packs and thought I was pretty avant-garde at the time :D. I only recently gave it away to the grandson of a friend when my wife made me clean the packrat nest I call my basement.
I still have my old military ALICE pack with frame in the attic. I'm sure I'll never use it again, but slow to part with it, ha ha. Dang thing is low tech compared to today's stuff, but it sure is a durable and well made thing.

Seems like trying 15-20 lbs in the old pack then in a newer one that's been fit to you is your best bet. It is all very specific to each person. Your old pack might be good enough to help out your neck and back. However, maybe a newer design could be lighter and do a better job. In the early 80's, I spend several months with quite an overly large backpack trekking through France, Italy, Switzerland, England and Ireland. At the time it did the job, carried probably 40 lbs mostly in my hips. Now at 54, post stroke I'm thinking no way would I carry that much weight on any part of my body. I've really come to respect the new packs I prefer the Osprey line. They seem to help me compensate for my age and limitations. But that's me... try some out. There are many places to buy on sale for a much cheaper price than I paid for my original pack. Good luck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you actually tried out one of the more modern backpacks?

Many years ago I worked part-time in a camping/backpacking store, so the answer is yes. And, recently I have tried a Deuter, an Osprey, and one from L.L. Bean. (And I'm smack-dab in the middle between two REI stores.) I actually carried the Osprey on two outdoor adventures for use as a day-and-a-half bag. Liked the frame/belt/strap arrangements and function, but didn't care at all for the pockets and access arrangements.

If adjusted correctly they also place the weight on your hips!

They place some, or even most, of the weight on your hips, but not ALL of it.

====================================

Thanks to all for your responses!

Last edited:
Having a dodgy back myself I can only say it really, really depends on finding the right backpack for your back length and adjusting it accordingly. Give it a go! Buen Camino, SY

PS My Osprey 58 Exos is perfectly balanced on my hips and doesn't put any weight on my shoulders nor neck at all, but as the saying goes - Your Mileage Might Vary ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I still have my old military ALICE pack with frame in the attic. I'm sure I'll never use it again, but slow to part with it, ha ha. Dang thing is low tech compared to today's stuff, but it sure is a durable and well made thing.

O-dear-merciful-Heavens! Ye olde "Kidney-Killer", if I still had one, would certainly not be in contention. The ALICE pack (medium or large, because the frame is the same) is one of those "close, but no cigar" designs that should probably forever remain in the history books. In this case it's a matter of about four vertical inches....

And BTW, you say you're from da Big Easy. I grew up just a bit east of you, in Mobile, the site of the first-ever Mardi Gras in the New World. Of course, Mobile was founded before da Big Easy, by de same folks dat founded da Big Easy. Lassiez le Bon Temps Roulez...

Last edited:
O-dear-merciful-Heavens! Ye olde "Kidney-Killer", if I still had one, would certainly not be in contention. The ALICE pack (medium or large, because the frame is the same) is one of those "close, but no cigar" designs that should probably forever remain in the history books. In this case it's a matter of about four vertical inches....

And BTW, you say you're from da Big Easy. I grew up just a bit east of you, in Mobile, the site of the first-ever Mardi Gras in the New World. Of course, Mobile was founded before da Big Easy, by de same folks dat founded da Big Easy. Lassiez le Bon Temps Roulez...
I have been to the Mardi Gras there before.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:):):):) A bit more reserved/low-key, wouldn't you say?
Yeah, it was (not the Bacchanalian, booze soaked blast the one here can be, ha ha). It was several years ago when I went. We decided to go that morning, on a whim. All in all it was pretty cool.
Nowadays I'm pretty boring on the festivities. A couple of bloody Mary's on the morning of the parades and I'm happy. :)

I know they're fast becoming extinct, but I have a complete external-frame backpack that I first bought in the 1980s and have used danged near everywhere. I "customized" it by shortening the frame so that nothing sticks up above my jawline -- a necessary modification when one frequently travels through pretty thick bush. (Did I mention that I'm originally from the central Gulf Coast - Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida?) When the packbag finally wore out I replaced it, but kept the frame and etc.

So here's my question. In my younger years I played American football, resulting in neck and shoulder problems plus two herniated lumbar discs. When properly adjusted, the external frame places about 90% of the weight on my hips, bypassing my "problem areas" almost completely.

So, what do y'all say about the pos

So, what do y'all say about the possibility of my using it successfully on the Camino Frances?

I used my Kelty 65L external frame backpack on the Camino Frances this past September 2016. I like you have spinal issues , having being paralyzed once, 1999. Your external pack will work fine, but what I found out is because of it's size, I had a tendency to overload it and going up and down the mountains and hills with 35-40 lbs of stuff ( was carrying some of wife's stuff too) was a bit trying. I found an Osprey Kestrel 48L that carries the weight even more comfortably and I limit my load because of it's size. Everyone is different so try some new ones with weght. I ordered on Amazon with free shipping(Prime) and free returns to try out new packs. My wife and I (Mimi and Pop) have tried on about 30 in last two months until we settled on the Osprey Kestrels. BTW .. I am 6'1" 230lbs and 67 yrs old. having a had a heart attack in 2005 due to mold exposure. We did a max of 24K a day but we were limited because my wife broke a bone in her foot about a week into the Camino Frances. So I say to people, check with your Dr's but do it. We are returning in the fall of 2017 for another Camino, most likely the Norte' this time but starting in Scandinavia hopefully. You WILL BE FINE !!! I still have my external frame !!!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mine is a (Finnish) Savotta, which I left in Finland last year (Camino Portugues) because of the same reason: the size tempts me to take too much stuff with me. The new Portuguese pack I bought in Lisbon for the camino is good, but certainly not better. I love the Savotta for the comfort and the size when I must take a lot of gear with me. You see it in the profile photo (from the late '80s). I have double scoliosis, but I can carry a lot with that pack (provided I pack and adjust it as one should).

Mine is a (Finnish) Savotta, which I left in Finland because of the same reason: the size tempts me to take too much stuff with me. But, I love it for the comfort and the size when I must take a lot of gear with me. You see it in the profile photo (from the late '80s). I have double scoliosis, but I can carry a lot with that pack.
In our photo, my wife and I are wearing our old Ospreys 65L that we used to backpack through Italy and Switzerland. As you can see I evolved from internal frame to external frame and back to internal, but I love my external frame ! Buen Camino Jakke !!!

Hola! This unusually continuous Southern California rain has kept me from "hoof-testing" my external-frame pack. Since I have the means, I weighed my external-frame pack and a Deuter ACT-Lite 65+10 pack.

My external-frame pack weighs in at about 6 pounds (2.7 kilos), while the Deuter weighs in at about 4 pounds (1.8 kilos). In my book, that qualifies as a "just-noticeable difference."

And yes, I've backpacked enough to know that 2 pounds on one's back gets marginally "heavier" with each step, so that by the end of the day.... :(

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.