• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra distance walking on bike path into Pamplona?

russellg99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (starting May 20, 2013)
Our book says there's a paved bike path into Pamplona, but it follows the river and is a lot longer. Considering the amazing amount of mud on the trails at the moment, does anyone know the exact distance of that bike path? I'm just wondering how much longer it actually is, and whether it might be worth walking on instead of the normal path. The two paths seem to branch off just after Irotz.

Thanks,
Russell

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
be sure to carry a bell, and don't get in the way of any cyclists, for whom the trail is intended!

(just joking here))

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I believe the bike path is about 3km longer if you rejoin the primary route in Villava, but it also goes near the Huarte albergue so would be convenient if you want to stay there.

The bike path follows the river, so does a lot of zigzagging between Huarte and Pamplona, so would add much more to follow the whole way into Pamplona.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two years ago, we walked along the river, instead of turning right at the bridge that enters Trinidad de Arre. It was really pleasant and eliminated that urban stretch after Trinidad. Plenty of places to picnic or take a rest. We joined the Camino into Pamplona after passing a sports complex. I don't think that this alternative was any longer. Anne

In 2006 the trail was washed out and they detoured us on the bike path to Huarte. I have walked that way each time since. Follow the path to you come to the bridge in Huarte,head right. That is the main street..wonderful fruit and veggie market,bank,cafe...follow main street and you will see arrows ..bike path through community gardens...then it meets up with main camino into Pamplona..really nice walk and I think shorter..

Has anyone walked this route recently? Brierley shows an Option to turn off left to Huarte, just after the underpass after Arleta. Then it looks possible to walk from Huarte alongside the river to Puente Magdelena at the entrance into Pamplona. Seems like a nice alternative path to take. Yes? No? Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, if anyone takes this slight detour this year, could they post some feedback? Thanks! Jill

Our book says there's a paved bike path into Pamplona, but it follows the river and is a lot longer. Considering the amazing amount of mud on the trails at the moment, does anyone know the exact distance of that bike path? I'm just wondering how much longer it actually is, and whether it might be worth walking on instead of the normal path. The two paths seem to branch off just after Irotz.

Thanks,
Russell
Hi, Russell,

In 2009 I walked this route because of the twisted ankle and walking on tarmac bici path was much easier for me. Also few days prior much rain done some damage to usual route. Later inn 2011 I took that "official" route and I'm quite sure it's shorter but it goes over the hill.
The route by the river starts at the resting area after Zabadika. I remember fuente with red bricks. At this spot the marked route twists on right uphill and is very nice. But if you cross the bridge after resting spot and turn right you'd be on the route you were asking about. It's nicely shady but without any bars etc. Once I came to wider street in urban area I turned right up that street (bar and ATM in 5 storey building on the left if I remember correctly) and soon found myself on Camino which is coming from the right, that's from Trinidad de Arre direction. That means I connected to Camino again somewhere in the middle of Villava suburb of Pamplona.
Hope that helps.

Ultreia!

Just walked it this morning. Would have been fabulous in the afternoon when I walked into Pamplona last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, has anybody else walked the river route into Pamplona this year? Or willing to try it? Can you follow the river all the way into Pamplona? Hoping for some more feedback before I try it in October. Huarte looks like a good place to stop off for lunch on the way. Jill

Go to Google Earth, type (copy/paste) in.... 42°51'6.32"N 1°35'1.29"W and click Search.

This should take you to the correct spot.

It looks like it will bypass two hills.. :))

Also, drag the Street View guy to the road near there and you can see the trail.

Go to Google Earth, type (copy/paste) in.... 42°51'6.32"N 1°35'1.29"W and click Search.
This should take you to the correct spot.
It looks like it will bypass two hills.. :))
Also, drag the Street View guy to the road near there and you can see the trail.

Oh, wow, thanks, I didn’t know I could do that! Following the path along, I see that there is a pedestrian bridge across the river into Huarte, so no need to go out onto the main road at that point. Then, walking straight through Huarte, it’s possible to pick up a bike path again, following the river the whole way to the Magdalena Bridge into Pamplona, or shortcut and join the camino just after the sports complex. Thanks again! Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back