• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra Masses for 2010

shani

Hi

I read somewhere that there might be extra masses conducted during the Jubilee year to cope with the influx of pligrims - is that true and does anyone know of the times and locations of these masses?

thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the Botafumeiro is used only at the noon mass. I have checked on a lot of masses on the cathedral webcam over the last couple of years, and never seen the Botafumeiro swing at anything except the noon mass. It has been used ALMOST every day at noon for the last two weeks, and elsewhere in this Forum it has been stated that starting April 1, it will swing every noon.

Funnily enough I looked in the other evening and it was in use with the Archbishop in the presidential chair. I suspect it was either a local feast or that there were special visitors. As the year gets busier no doubt some tour groups attending a mass other than the 12 noon will pay for the Botafumeiro. We'll see how the year develops.

The last couple of times I've been in Santiago I've gone to the evening mass rather than the noon pilgrim mass. I find it much pleasanter an experience, it's shorter (a relief for those of us whose spanish is so limited they have no clue what's going on!) and much quieter so you can sit near the front, contemplate your journey in peace and get a good view of what's happening.
AND the botafumerio has swung at both of the evening masses I attended. In fact I don't think I've been to a mass where it hasn't swung - I thought they swung it all the time these days..? :?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The noon mass today lasted for one hour and forty-five minutes. There were over 200 white-robed priests in attendance. The Botafumeiro did not swing.

falcon269 said:
The noon mass today lasted for one hour and forty-five minutes. There were over 200 white-robed priests in attendance. The Botafumeiro did not swing.

I assume that this was the annual Chrism Mass when all the priests in the diocese go to the Cathedral to renew their ordination vows and collect the newly blessed Oil of Chrism.

There will not be any Masses from after Maundy Thursday until the Easter Vigil (either late Saturday night or very early Sunday morning) in any Catholic Church, but there will be plenty of liturgy for the Triduum.

Andy

Yes it was indeed the Mass of Chrism

On Thursday there is a Pentiential rite at 12 noon and the Mass of the Lord's Supper is at 6pm with the Archbishop presiding. Presumably there will be a washing of the feet during this. It is followed by a procession to the altar of repose which is the Blessed Sacrament Chapel on the right hand side of the cathedral looking towards the altar. Given this the botafumeiro won't be used unless earlier in the Mass.

On Good Friday there is a pentential service at 12 noon and the Celebration of the Passion at 6pm with the archbishop presiding.

On Holy Saturday there is the Office of Readings at 12 noon and Stations of the Cross (Via Crucis) at 6pm.

The Easter Vigil Mass begins at 10pm with the service of light - I don't know if they have a bonfire outside but they will have some form of fire. The Gloria would usually be accompanied by bells being rung.

On Easter Sunday at 11.30 am there is the "Procesion con chirimias" and the Botafumeiro. I have no idea what this comprises - chrimias are musical instruments like oboes.

This is followed by the Mass of Easter Day at 12 noon with the Archbishop presiding and a Papal Blessing.

Sounds like quite a programme for those in Santiago over Easter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good - I'm glad I got that right! My Chrism Mass is on Maundy Thursday morning, but travelling across Birmingham Diocese is considerably easier than Santiago Archdiocese.

I'm wondering about a pilgrimage through Holy Week that stops at different Churches for the different parts of the liturgy, arriving in Santiago for the Vigil? I will have to wait til I retire though.

Andy

JohnnieWalker said:
that's too long to wait Andy!

It is. But I can't see myself being allowed Semana Santa off.
Caminos will have to happen at other times of year. I'm still looking forward to the Ingles next year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A dozen priests today at the noon mass, but the Botafumeiro did not swing.

andy.d said:
JohnnieWalker said:
that's too long to wait Andy!

It is. But I can't see myself being allowed Semana Santa off.
Caminos will have to happen at other times of year. I'm still looking forward to the Ingles next year.

Terry had to wait until he retired for the same reasons Andy. No way he could be away from the parishes for 5+ weeks. He was finally able to fulfil his dream last year -after 15 years! By the time I do the Inglés next year (DV) I will have waited 17 years.
Worth the wait and a great way to start retirement.
Tia Valeria

The noon mass today looked standard. A few priests, communion, and NO Botafumeiro. The assertion that it will swing every noon starting on April 1, 2010 seems to be incorrect.

The sky at O Cebreiro looks really nasty. There is new snow on the ski slopes at Cabeza de Manzaneda.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back