• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra nights - Biarritz or SJPP?

Walks2way

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
We are flying into Biarritz and have an extra day/night during our travels that can be spent in either Biarritz or SJPP before we start walking. We would use the time to see some sights and recover from jet lag. Which town would you recommend, and do you have any sightseeing or lodging suggestions?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We are flying into Biarritz and have an extra day/night during our travels that can be spent in either Biarritz or SJPP before we start walking. We would use the time to see some sights and recover from jet lag. Which town would you recommend, and do you have any sightseeing or lodging suggestions?
Same question!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think that the important thing is that you’re wisely thinking about a recovery day. I don’t know Biarritz. However, Knowing that you could catch a morning train to SJPP, get in early and still enjoy most of a day there, I’d suggest you take your recovery day in Bayonne. It’s a lovely French town and then you can catch the train from there. Check out Booking.com for accommodations. You might like Hotel Le Pont Neuf.

We spent most of a day in SJPDP, however, we had to carry our backpacks around all day as our albergue did not open until mid-afternoon and they would not watch our packs until we checked in. Maybe overnight to shake off the jet lag beore you get there?

SJPdP is a small village, you've seen it in a couple of hours. I'd recommend you take the extra day in Biarritz or in Bayonne. (The two cities share the same airport) I have a sweet spot for Bayonne, because
- the train connection to SJPdP is right there
- the typical French atmosphere with its cafes and restaurants along the Neve river, al fresco in mild summer evenings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another vote for Bayonne. It’s a wonderful Basque town with everything within easy walking distance. And just a 20 minute bus ride from Biarritz Airport.

The next day if you take the early afternoon train to SJPP - more a village than a town - you’ll have plenty of time to check in, visit the pilgrims office, get organised and stroll around.

enjoy 😎

We walked from the airport in Biarritz to Bayonne and stayed the evening there before starting our Camino del Norte last Spring. We really enjoyed staying there and touring the Cathedral and the neighborhood. You can walk to the train station the next day and make your way to St. Jean Pied de Port in time to tour that beautiful village too.

You could take a taxi from the airport instead, but I've found the best way to clear my head after a long airplane journey is a nice walk.

Hello from Newfoundland! I would suggest an extra night in Biarritz. It’s a great town with lots to see and a good place to chill and recover from jet lag. Don’t miss the extensive food and fish markets while you are there…..spectacular! Would suggest La Maison du Lierre as a hotel. It is small, central, atmospheric, beautifully French and reasonably priced. I have stayed there twice now and would go back again and again. If you take my suggestion, make sure you eat at La Pim’pi Bistrot Restaurant (you’ll need to book) which is walking distance from the hotel…..a hidden gem and full of locals…..sensational !

Attachments

• 050F3FE7-6BA2-4648-BC96-49309FC5B738.jpeg
    050F3FE7-6BA2-4648-BC96-49309FC5B738.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • D7BDF2A3-8F1A-4584-B6BE-E9776FC4F805.jpeg
    D7BDF2A3-8F1A-4584-B6BE-E9776FC4F805.jpeg
    911.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FF46654E-EE29-47AF-9266-EEF2F0546FF4.jpeg
    FF46654E-EE29-47AF-9266-EEF2F0546FF4.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 20
  • BA065F04-32B6-4269-BBF8-3B7E1D62FF81.jpeg
    BA065F04-32B6-4269-BBF8-3B7E1D62FF81.jpeg
    914.9 KB · Views: 21
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I second the Biarritz recommendation. While I fell in love with the various Spanish and Basque regions and cultures on the Camino Frances, I would have loved to experience French-Basque culture more, had I the time. I flew into Biarritz and it pained me to leave so fast.

Visiting Biarritz is at the top of my list for the next Camino. Since my first Camino, I've seen much of southern France (amazing). French seafood is off the charts, and by all accounts Biarritz is an epicenter for it. I have seen excellent reviews for the Musée Asiatica, which has an extensive collection of Asian art.

If you choose Biarritz, please post about it after your Camino -- I would love to hear about it from someone who has experienced it.

Post Script: Yes, St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port is easily seen in a few hours. But I got into town in the early afternoon and would have loved to have had more time exploring the church (pilgrim Mass!), the restaurants, and bakeries (food is quite the driver for me, if you couldn't tell already!). The energy, anticipation and pilgrim vibe is intense, so it really is a special place. Try to get at least a half a day to experience it if you can.

I second the Biarritz recommendation. While I fell in love with the various Spanish and Basque regions and cultures on the Camino Frances, I would have loved to experience French-Basque culture more, had I the time. I flew into Biarritz and it pained me to leave so fast.

Visiting Biarritz is at the top of my list for the next Camino. Since my first Camino, I've seen much of southern France (amazing). French seafood is off the charts, and by all accounts Biarritz is an epicenter for it. I have seen excellent reviews for the Musée Asiatica, which has an extensive collection of Asian art.

If you choose Biarritz, please post about it after your Camino -- I would love to hear about it from someone who has experienced it.

Post Script: Yes, St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port is easily seen in a few hours. But I got into town in the early afternoon and would have loved to have had more time exploring the church (pilgrim Mass!), the restaurants, and bakeries (food is quite the driver for me, if you couldn't tell already!). The energy, anticipation and pilgrim vibe is intense, so it really is a special place. Try to get at least a half a day to experience it if you can.
Thank you so much! I think I may do both, since it seems like 50/50 on both! I am not in a huge rush to start straight off the plane 😉 I want to savor the experience, food, culture of it all. I appreciate all you advice!!

Thank you so much! I think I may do both, since it seems like 50/50 on both! I am not in a huge rush to start straight off the plane 😉 I want to savor the experience, food, culture of it all. I appreciate all you advice!!
If you have the time ... all three Biarritz, Bayonne and SJPP - are well worth visiting!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
SJPdP is a small village, you've seen it in a couple of hours. I'd recommend you take the extra day in Biarritz or in Bayonne. (The two cities share the same airport) I have a sweet spot for Bayonne, because
- the train connection to SJPdP is right there
- the typical French atmosphere with its cafes and restaurants along the Neve river, al fresco in mild summer evenings.
I am going to stay an extra night in Biarritz as I will be coming in from Paris. Do you have a recommendation of where to stay?

If you have the time ... all three Biarritz, Bayonne and SJPP - are well worth visiting!
Biarritz has a history of a Belle Epoque fashionable Spa. The Grand Hotels – though a bit dusted today –still impress with their Grandeur. And of course, there is the seashore and the harbor.
For me, Biarritz is a grand, if not a bit stiff dining salon, while Bayonne is a charming French Bistrot.
Staying over in either town and the good food entails the risk that your Camino plans may take a back seat.

We stayed in biarritz but spent the day in Bayonne! It’s a beautiful city ! GrB a coffee or Drink down by the river ! It’s beautiful

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am going to stay an extra night in Biarritz as I will be coming in from Paris. Do you have a recommendation of where to stay?
See my earlier post on this thread for a hot reco. Buen Camino!

I stayed in both, 1 night in Biarritz and 2 in SJPP. 1 night in the latter would have been enough, lovely place but you can see it in an afternoon. In Biarritz I stayed at La Maisson du Lierre, loved it. It was walking distance to the ocean, restaurants, bars etc. I walked from Biarritz to Bayonne where I had the best meal of my whole trip. Place was near the station, can't recall the name. If I went back I would stay 2 nights in Bayonne to have a look around, it looked interesting. I only walked to Orisson the first day, and because I was anxious to start walking, I left at 9am and arrived just before midday, when the sun came out. Next time I will arrive and leave SJPP on the same day, start walking in the afternoon. Photo attached of hotel, last photo is Bayonne train station taken from restaurant where I had that great meal.

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_110115.jpg
    IMG_20220413_110115.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220413_112730.jpg
    IMG_20220413_112730.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220413_113407.jpg
    IMG_20220413_113407.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220414_123956.jpg
    IMG_20220414_123956.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
I think that you - and I hope some of the posters above - will appreciate the rather slower pace of life you’ll experience on Camino; when a day really isn’t enough to ‘do’ a medium sized town and the temptation to ‘grab’ anything recedes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed in both, 1 night in Biarritz and 2 in SJPP. 1 night in the latter would have been enough, lovely place but you can see it in an afternoon. In Biarritz I stayed at La Maisson du Lierre, loved it. It was walking distance to the ocean, restaurants, bars etc. I walked from Biarritz to Bayonne where I had the best meal of my whole trip. Place was near the station, can't recall the name. If I went back I would stay 2 nights in Bayonne to have a look around, it looked interesting. I only walked to Orisson the first day, and because I was anxious to start walking, I left at 9am and arrived just before midday, when the sun came out. Next time I will arrive and leave SJPP on the same day, start walking in the afternoon. Photo attached of hotel, last photo is Bayonne train station taken from restaurant where I had that great meal.
Oh
Hello from Newfoundland! I would suggest an extra night in Biarritz. It’s a great town with lots to see and a good place to chill and recover from jet lag. Don’t miss the extensive food and fish markets while you are there…..spectacular! Would suggest La Maison du Lierre as a hotel. It is small, central, atmospheric, beautifully French and reasonably priced. I have stayed there twice now and would go back again and again. If you take my suggestion, make sure you eat at La Pim’pi Bistrot Restaurant (you’ll need to book) which is walking distance from the hotel…..a hidden gem and full of locals…..sensational !
All arriving from Newfoundland for 1st Camino.. land in Paris to meet up with walking partner..fly to Biarritz and stay overnight.. then to SJP
Hello from Newfoundland! I would suggest an extra night in Biarritz. It’s a great town with lots to see and a good place to chill and recover from jet lag. Don’t miss the extensive food and fish markets while you are there…..spectacular! Would suggest La Maison du Lierre as a hotel. It is small, central, atmospheric, beautifully French and reasonably priced. I have stayed there twice now and would go back again and again. If you take my suggestion, make sure you eat at La Pim’pi Bistrot Restaurant (you’ll need to book) which is walking distance from the hotel…..a hidden gem and full of locals…..sensational

I agree with some others that you can see most everything in SJPDP in a day or less. Biarritz is really fun. We were there for 3 days before we went to SJPDP. Highly recommend, however we were there early September and it wasn't very crowded. I've heard it turns into a party town in the summer. The stone walkway along the coast is spectacular. And we live in Oregon so we're used to beautiful coasts!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back