• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra pair of boots?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
I will be walking from Burgos to Santiago in an estimated three weeks. I'm wondering if I should pack my old boots just in case, or if I need a change on certain days. I realize they will take more space and in my pack, not to mention they will make it heavier. Is it worth it? Do any of you have suggestions or past experiences that would help me with my decision?
Thank you again, pilgrims!
Lynne
(Beginning my walk on June 6)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... just in case,... they will make it heavier.
I think you've answered your own question; good job on developing your pilgrim-packing instincts so well. Continue to listen to those wee voices in your head. In general, and esp on the CF, there is no need to take "just in case" items, and the priority is keeping weight down.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't bring boots at all in June. If you gonna bring boots and need extra walking shoes, why not a pair of Keen sandals?

I think I will go with Keen sandals and Teva sandals (for the evenings). Eventually I will bring my runners but I am not sure. All of them are light :)

The best thing I did was bringing a pair of Keen sandals. Two-thirds of the way through each day I changed from my Merrill walkers into the Keens, changing socks, too. SJPdP to Santiago without one blister. It was so well worth the extra weight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best thing I did was bringing a pair of Keen sandals. Two-thirds of the way through each day I changed from my Merrill walkers into the Keens, changing socks, too. SJPdP to Santiago without one blister. It was so well worth the extra weight.

I agree about the sandals. I will bring my Tevas.
Will leave the second pair of boots at home!
Thanks!

I wouldn't bring boots at all in June. If you gonna bring boots and need extra walking shoes, why not a pair of Keen sandals?

I think I will go with Keen sandals and Teva sandals (for the evenings). Eventually I will bring my runners but I am not sure. All of them are light :)

Interesting thought. I had very light-weight Salomons last time and I think they were too light. By the end of the day, I felt every pebble underfoot. I think I would need the boots more for the heavier and sturdier footbed. I will bring my Teva sandals though. That's a great thought!
Thanks!!

I will be walking from Burgos to Santiago in an estimated three weeks. I'm wondering if I should pack my old boots just in case, or if I need a change on certain days. I realize they will take more space and in my pack, not to mention they will make it heavier. Is it worth it? Do any of you have suggestions or past experiences that would help me with my decision?
Thank you again, pilgrims!
Lynne
(Beginning my walk on June 6)
Hello - I wore my Asolo boots and Keens about 50:50 trading off during the day when I changed socks. No foot troubles at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Lynne,

How's it going? One pair of boots is fine. Take them because they are all broken in and they will keep you dry on wet days. Keens are great but I just bought some Nikes as alternates. I have used them for training the last year. Very light, easy on the feet and the upper is fabric that is designed to dissipate moisture quickly. I am still looking for some flip-flops for shower time.

I may just be in Burgos around the time you start. Leaving SJPP on May 7.

I don't use boots. The "trails" are generally dirt roads. I can think of two short stretches in that length that boots might be needed. Trail or multi purpose shoes work well! Have a blast!

How bout some love for those who need a little ankle support from a boot?

Interesting thought. I had very light-weight Salomons last time and I think they were too light. By the end of the day, I felt every pebble underfoot. I think I would need the boots more for the heavier and sturdier footbed. I will bring my Teva sandals though. That's a great thought!
Thanks!!

If you are interested in running type shoes, than trail runners would have the cushioning, sturdiness, motion control, tread and protection that would work better for you. The problem of feeling debris, like rocks, under foot is mediated by a rock plate that is embedded in the midsole. It is a thin thermoplastic or graphite sheet that keeps that type of impact from making your feet sore or bruised. You do not need boots to solve that problem. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks!!
If you want more cushioning look at Hoka and Altra Lone Peak trail runners.

"just in case".....three words that should never be used when deciding what to carry in a backpack to walk the Camino.
Short answer is don't carry extra boots. You won't need them.

Don't bring extra anything, except socks and undies. Spain has stores for anything you may have forgotten to pack, but boots should be worn in and ready to keep your feet happy. Two pair will shorten your days and possibly your trip. Extra weight can harm your knees, ankles, and back after time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh! The OP didn't bring that up. Here are the two points that boots might be needed, but can easily be circumvented by staying on the little used paved roads adjacent. They have better views too!
Regio de Ambros to Molinaseca
Las Herrerias to La Faba

A friend of mine brought old boots and it proved to be a bad idea. Even though they were comfy, they were too broken in and didn’t offer any real support and she had a major foot problem and was laid up for three days and ultimately had to buy new ones and rent a bike so she could finish.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Next time around, I am bringing boots for this very reason. I used hiking shoes on the last 2 Caminos because so much of the path is flat, even paths, etc. and only a small percentage requires any technical hiking - I wanted lighter shoes. I spent way too many days with my ankle brace on due to stress on my ankles. With boots, I don't generally need the brace.

I also prefer lighter hikers like these Keen hikers- they are more like a trail runner. That said, you should wear what is comfortable for you. I also advocate for bringing sport sandals. I like wearing them in the evening to air out my feet and they can double for a walking shoe in a pinch

Hi Lynne,

How's it going? One pair of boots is fine. Take them because they are all broken in and they will keep you dry on wet days. Keens are great but I just bought some Nikes as alternates. I have used them for training the last year. Very light, easy on the feet and the upper is fabric that is designed to dissipate moisture quickly. I am still looking for some flip-flops for shower time.

I may just be in Burgos around the time you start. Leaving SJPP on May 7.

I will arrive in Burgos on the 5th and will start my walk on the 6th. Maybe we will cross paths!
I'm excited but nervous about being on my own.
You leave in a few days, so good luck!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.