• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra sheet for bed bug prevention

Suzanne A

Peregrina desde 2015
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 CF, 2016 CP, 2018 Le Puy, 2019 CF,
2022 Prim
Hello, leaving from SJpdP May 9 to Santiago.
Another pilgrim recommended buying 2 yards of super light material and treat it with permethrin to put on the mattress to “scare-away” bedbugs. I am going to use a silk sleep sac + Costco down throw. Don’t know why Iam paranoid as this will be my 3rd Camino, never gotten bed bugs, but don’t want ‘em either. Adding this 3rd layer to my bed adds another 5 oz to my pack and I am one of those people who is trying to keep my pack weight down. Has anyone else done this ? Appreciate all your opinions!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another pilgrim recommended buying 2 yards of super light material and treat it with permethrin to put on the mattress to “scare-away” bedbugs. I am going to use a silk sleep sac + Costco down throw. Don’t know why Iam paranoid as this will be my 3rd Camino, never gotten bed bugs, but don’t want ‘em either. Adding this 3rd layer to my bed adds another 5 oz to my pack and I am one of those people who is trying to keep my pack weight down. Has anyone else done this ? Appreciate all your opinions!

I quite understand the feelings. However, your strategy won't work. Permethrin is NOT a repellent to bedbugs. It does act as an insecticide to bed bugs which are not resistant to the chemical. So while contact with the Permethrin will probably kill the bedbug at some point, it will still be able to bite and take its blood meal.

There are some insects for which Permethrin acts both as an insecticide AND a repellent, but bedbugs are not among that group.

The best defense is to inspect your surroundings for bedbug signs and if found, quietly tell the Hospitalero, and seek a different bed.

The best defense is to inspect your surroundings for bedbug signs and if found, quietly tell the Hospitalero, and seek a different bed.
In reality, the incidence of bed bugs is low. However, when I saw signs of BB I told the Hospitalero and any other pilgrims in the room and found a different PLACE to stay!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
May is before bed bugs are ubiquitous, but caution is worthwhile. I have a Tyvek sheet that is treated with permethrin, and I use it as a sheet or blanket. While DEET is the best repellent, if you sleep in it, it is a good idea to wash in the morning. Exposed flesh gets attacked, so you only need to use it on head, arms, and feet!

After two Caminos, I have adopted the habit of inspecting mattresses no matter what my accommodations, no matter the city. This habit has served me well and did not require extra equipment or chemicals. And, most importantly no bites.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I have one and have used it on three caminos. Apparently permeated with Permethrin or something similar. After my first walk, I sprayed it again before leaving just in case the "stuff" had worn off. Never been bitten, but maybe just luck. Anyway, it is very light weight if you are concerned about that.
Thanks

I found bed bug traps at Lowes in Canada. I'm taking them along to put under the bed. Supposedly the bugs leave the bed and go to the trap! It sounds safer than exposing yourself to nasty pesticides.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did exactly what you are considering...took a sheet doused with Peremethrin. After two different “attacks” of bedbugs (and having to get treated for subsequent infections), I tossed the stupid sheet out. Completely useless. Won’t be carrying such this fall when I do CF again.

However, your strategy won't work. Permethrin is NOT a repellent to bedbugs. There are some insects for which Permethrin acts both as an insecticide AND a repellent, but bedbugs are not among that group.
Well, shut my mouth. This is news to me. Thank you.

I found bed bug traps at Lowes in Canada. I'm taking them along to put under the bed. Supposedly the bugs leave the bed and go to the trap! It sounds safer than exposing yourself to nasty pesticides.
Traps that go under the bed legs might be a reasonable solution for bed bugs that are not already in the bed frame or seams of the mattress, ie those that are going to have to climb the bed legs to get to you. But remember that bed bugs are attracted by a combination of carbon dioxide and warmth, and if you are in the bed you will be the largest and closest emitter of both. They are unlikely to leave your bed to go elsewhere for a meal! So it will be important to check that there is no evidence of bed bugs on your mattress and bed frame as well as using the traps.

There are some other types of traps, but I don't know how effective they are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are bedbugs common at the beginning of the busy season?
The anecdotal evidence is that they are not, but I doubt any individual one of us really knows. My experience in Apr, May and Jun was that I was never affected by bed bug bites, but that might have been just luck.

What you can be pretty sure of is that hospitaleros are going to treat any infection relatively quickly. There will be a protocol for isolating and treating the infected area, so it is important to tell the hospitaleros when you suspect bed bugs, so they can check and begin treatment if that is required.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps spraying the mattress and surrounding area with citronella might help?
The beg bugs will smell nice when they bite you, and you will have annoyed everyone with an unnecessary scent. There is no evidence that essential oils are effective insecticides. If you want to use it as a repellent, spray it on yourself, not on things that other people will have to use. We might not appreciate having to come into contact with chemicals you have spraying into the environment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just found this site for great info...

That is actually a very good site for information. I used it as a reference referral for folks when I worked at our local public health department.

Don't forget that Spanish pillows are extra wide so I also take two treated pillow cases to cover the pillow.
Just an idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Traps that go under the bed legs might be a reasonable solution for bed bugs that are not already in the bed frame or seams of the mattress, ie those that are going to have to climb the bed legs to get to you. But remember that bed bugs are attracted by a combination of carbon dioxide and warmth, and if you are in the bed you will be the largest and closest emitter of both. They are unlikely to leave your bed to go elsewhere for a meal! So it will be important to check that there is no evidence of bed bugs on your mattress and bed frame as well as using the traps.

There are some other types of traps, but I don't know how effective they are.

Then I just won't exhale!
I think the point of traps is to find out if bugs are there; not to effectively eliminate all of them.

I've never been bitten by bedbugs, but I came home from the Camino with scabies. Called for Permethrin lotion head to toe for several days.

Just thought I'd add that little anecdote to make everybody squirm and now have something else to worry about!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is what I know.
Before eachCamino I spray my pack and the outside of my sleeping bag with Permethrin.
In all these years, the only time I was bitten by a bedbug was on my first Camino when I sprayed neither.
Whether the experts say it works or not, I don't know, but so far, it's worked for ME.

So did you use just a sheet and then sleep sak ontop of your own sheet?Did you find it effective? WOndering how to prevent bites on arms/face that stick out of sleep sak. I guess a bottom layer sheet would help?

So did you use just a sheet and then sleep sak ontop of your own sheet?Did you find it effective? WOndering how to prevent bites on arms/face that stick out of sleep sak. I guess a bottom layer sheet would help?
Did you read the first response in this thread? Bedbugs are not deterred by permethrin, but it will kill them over time (an hour or so of contact with permethrin treated fabric). That means that they can crawl over the treated fabric, bite you, then crawl back to their dark corner.
I do use permethrin to avoid transporting bedbugs from albergue to albergue by treating my sleep gear, backpack and all my cloth stuff sacks with it. Hopefully, if a bedbug gets into my gear it won't come out alive!

@lisaflora I am very allergic to bed bug bites and they became a problem for me, despite all the usual methods (permethrin, bed bug bottom sheets, insect repellant, etc). I've been bitten on the face, as well as hands, arms and body. And legs!

So this is what I now do. First, I found an extra length silk sleeping sack, with stretchy side panels. It's a Sea to Summit, but you could make your own. I've turned the top over about an inch, sewn it around leaving a gap at the end. I thread hat elastic through that, leaving both ends of the hat elastic out (and plenty long enough). The ends of the hat elastic I pull through a spring loaded cord lock, and finish it off by tying the elastic ends together.

At night I climb into the sleeping sack with a lightweight down thrown inside the sack. I pull the whole sack up over my head (hence the need for an extra long sleeping sack) and pull the elastic tight closed and secure it with the cord lock.

So I and my down throw are completely enclosed in a silk shroud. The silk is sufficiently thin that I have no trouble breathing through it. It took a night to get used to but I'm now very comfortable inside. Makes people laugh and it looks weird, but it creates a complete mechanical barrier between me, my down throw, and any bedbug.

To keep bedbugs out of my gear, I put my whole pack inside a large stuff sack (actually a liner for a very large backpack). A plastic garbage bag will do, but they get ratty pretty quickly.

I usually use permethrin on my backpack and sleeping bag. But I am wondering, casually, whether the long time period during which albergues have been closed because of the pandemic may have starved a few of the little buggers. More probably, they are just happily hibernating until our return, or maybe only the bedbugs which are the best survivors will be around to multiply and plague future generations of pilgrims.

Can I suggest the pyrethrum route and place your treated sheet on your bed/bunk as soon as you get in because it takes around an hour or more for the bugs to die.

Can I suggest the pyrethrum route and place your treated sheet on your bed/bunk as soon as you get in because it takes around an hour or more for the bugs to die.
By all means, use all of the prevention measures you can. But the bugs will not be waiting around on top of the mattress! They will be hiding in crevasses, seams, cracks in the walls, until dark when you are lying on the mattress exhaling CO2. Cover your body as much as you can (since they can't bite through fabric!) and put Deet on exposed skin.

Unfortunately, the bedbugs wait until you are sleeping before they strike. The don't get on your treated bedding and wait around for you to go to bed. They crawl in, bite and get out. However, if they don't get out and your bedding is treated with permethrin they should die.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.