• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra shoes during the day

maevlilu

maevlilu
Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in May (2017)
I have read so many questions and answers here, and it has really helped me complete my packinglist. But I have one more question. I have bought some very light trail running shoes, think they will be great for me....But should I bring another very lightweight shoes to be able to change during the day, taking care of my feet. (I have very light flip flops for the shower etc) My trail running shoes weighs 600 gr merrell (together) and the extra pairs weighs 390 gr nike (together) Any thoughts and advice, is it good or unnecassary?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me it was definitely important to have two pairs of shoes: one for walking and one for casual wear. My two pairs were hiking shoes and crocks. Be aware that it is not unusual for feet to swell on the Camino. The first time I walked on the Camino I took hiking shoes that were only 1 size too big. The next time I walked on the Camino I took hiking shoes that were 3 sizes too big and adjusted with thin and thick socks--three pairs: silk sock liners, then socks and slightly thicker merino. That worked best for me. I would skip the flip-flop unless you just like wearing flip-flops.

I have read so many questions and answers here, and it has really helped me complete my packinglist. But I have one more question. I have bought some very light trail running shoes, think they will be great for me....But should I bring another very lightweight shoes to be able to change during the day, taking care of my feet. (I have very light flip flops for the shower etc) My trail running shoes weighs 600 gr merrell (together) and the extra pairs weighs 390 gr nike (together) Any thoughts and advice, is it good or unnecassary?
I am also wondering about this, and if my favorite Birkenstocks would suffice as a second shoe during the day?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You are perfectly fine with your walking shoes and flip flops. So no need to occupy space and carry the extra weight.

I can't walk around for long in flipflops, so I bring Chacos. They are good for the shower, too, though the straps will take a while to dry.

Whatever you do, by all means bring something to wear on your feet in the shower. Albergue showers can be pretty yucky. To avoid carrying an extra pair of shoes or shower sandals, I just wear my trail shoes and carry my Chacos, which serve double duty.

Two pairs of footwear are plenty. I wear hiking shoes during the day and Teva sandals at night. I think it's important that your second pair of shoes can be used as a back up hiking pair. There are times where you want to switch things up (your hiking shoes are still wet or fail somehow or you have a blister or you are just wanting a break from the hikers).

Flip flops for the shower are the subject of many discussions. Personally I never take them or wear anything on my feet while showering and neither do my hiking partners. Never had a problem. (Aren't we washing our feet in there?) But whatever makes you comfortable is the way to go.

Buen Camino and happy feet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't walk around for long in flipflops, so I bring Chacos. They are good for the shower, too, though the straps will take a while to dry.

Whatever you do, by all means bring something to wear on your feet in the shower. Albergue showers can be pretty yucky. To avoid carrying an extra pair of shoes or shower sandals, I just wear my trail shoes and carry my Chacos, which serve double duty.
I will try the chacos, perhaps they will work for me.

I took boots and a pair of Skechers Go Walk (extremely light shoes) and the combination worked perfectly. I agonised about taking jandals (flip flops) for the shower, but in the end went without them, as they were too much extra weight, and managed fine.

In my experience the key is to have some other form of footwear at the end of the day. Whatever you walk in during the day, your feet will be wanting a break. Just that change of footwear, different pressure points etc will give your feet a rest.

IMHO, it's also important to let your feet 'breathe' at the end of the day. So apart form my lightweight hiking boots (that felt like wearing bedroom slippers) I took some Teva sandals. These were robust enough to walk around town, and I guess I could have worn them to the shower if I wanted to, but I showered in bare feet.

They also acted as backup hiking footwear if I had real problems with my boots. Which I didn't.

As many will advise here, always try to take items that have more than one purpose. For example, I wear flip flops all the time at home in Sydney, but I wouldn't want to wear them walking around cobbled streets sight seeing.

If you really want something just for shower wear (I can understand wanting to avoid foot infections) maybe an ultra light hospital flip flop of some kind.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To me the thought of Tinea or worse still a Plantar wart contracted from a shower floor is far more horrifying than Bed Bugs :eek:.
Bleach is often used to clean showers , continuous use will breed resiliant strains of spores , rampant foot fungus resistant to anti fungal creams could ruin anyone's camino.

I've gotten foot fungus twice in my life from group showers. While treating it my feet itched and burned and I developed some raw spots. No way I will shower barefoot in albergues.

For me it was definitely important to have two pairs of shoes: one for walking and one for casual wear. My two pairs were hiking shoes and crocks. Be aware that it is not unusual for feet to swell on the Camino. The first time I walked on the Camino I took hiking shoes that were only 1 size too big. The next time I walked on the Camino I took hiking shoes that were 3 sizes too big and adjusted with thin and thick socks--three pairs: silk sock liners, then socks and slightly thicker merino. That worked best for me. I would skip the flip-flop unless you just like wearing flip-flops.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm interested to hear about wearing shoes so much bigger and it's reassuring because I've been doubting my own experience from ten years ago. I had Nike shoes 1 and 1/2 sizes bigger and a second pair 2 and 1/2 sizes bigger. I sent the smaller pair home. Never had blisters or lost toenails like many others. This time I have the same type of shoe and need to settle on socks and innersoles for them. They feel grear to walk in just look large!

My shopping list this year required a pair of walking sandals. A form of back-up for my walking boots plus something to wear in the evening while exploring the opportunity of vino tinto without crucifying my feet in flip-flops.
A chance visit to 'Go Outdoors' this week I purchased a pair of 'Hi Gear' sandals at £35. I've been wearing-in for the past few days and they are proving to be of incredible value - they also do half sizes. The sandals are relatively lightweight so will not add significantly to my daily haul (I'll just carry less vino tinto :)

To me the thought of Tinea or worse still a Plantar wart contracted from a shower floor is far more horrifying than Bed Bugs :eek:.
Bleach is often used to clean showers , continuous use will breed resiliant strains of spores , rampant foot fungus resistant to anti fungal creams could ruin anyone's camino.

I agree wholeheartedly, the only caveat I would add is that unfortunately the drainage in many albergue showers leaves a lot to be desired and you wind up with your feet soaking in the gunky water whether you have sandals on or not. Maybe rain boots are the answer!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm a newbie. So my advice might not be as valid as some of the Camino Veterans.
But while preparing my packing list for this Spring, I always ask myself, who will be carrying this? Answer... me!
Then I ask... how badly do I really need this item?
I do not want to overpack!
So, regarding shoes, I'm taking my hiking boots (Merrells) and a very light pair of Crocs. That's it.
Also, if I need any gear adjustments, I figure I can take care of those along the way. From what I have read and seen, there are places to re-supply, acquire needed items, and discard unnecessary items.
I might be wrong but, whatever, I'll deal with it.
All part of the experience!
Buen Camino!

The use of larger than normal shoes has many benefits , it also has a number of drawbacks .
I do wonder if the many falls mentioned by pilgrims are due to the outsized ' Clown feet ' that over - over sized shoes give them .
I take an average UK 10/ US 11 shoe , my Merrells are 11.5 UK, a full size and a half larger than normal . I found that the extra toe length really does try to trip you up , especially when new , after some use most soles curl upwards a little making things a little safer . I couldn't imagine trying to walk in size 12s .
Toe pain can also be caused by over long shoes , especially if they have flexible soles . The extra length acts as a lever when tilting forwards during a step , forcing the toes to move over a much larger arc than normal and increasing fatigue .
Bigger shoes by all means, but too big and you may make things worse .

What make and model are all these "lightweight" sandals that everyone is talking about. I read Crocs and Teva a lot but I can't find any such lightweight sandal. Except for one, that one that I am taking which is a flip flop, not something that I'd want to be walking around cobblestone streets in. I've looked at the Crocs online and they all seem pretty heavy. I have a pair of original style Teva that weight in around a pound. All the ones I see listed on the forum seem like at least a pound. Zero shoes are not an option for me. I am going to take my Teva Olowahu flips because they are only 160g and waterproof. But they are not something that I'd prefer to wear to sight see.
I would rather take a pair of sandals with a strap around my ankle but I am at loss to find a pair that weighs less than a pound.

Are you guys considering a pound to be lightweight for sandals? If so, I will stick with my flips. If not, can you please point me in the right direction?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What make and model are all these "lightweight" sandals that everyone is talking about. I read Crocs and Teva a lot but I can't find any such lightweight sandal. Except for one, that one that I am taking which is a flip flop, not something that I'd want to be walking around cobblestone streets in. I've looked at the Crocs online and they all seem pretty heavy. I have a pair of original style Teva that weight in around a pound. All the ones I see listed on the forum seem like at least a pound. Zero shoes are not an option for me. I am going to take my Teva Olowahu flips because they are only 160g and waterproof. But they are not something that I'd prefer to wear to sight see.
I would rather take a pair of sandals with a strap around my ankle but I am at loss to find a pair that weighs less than a pound.

Are you guys considering a pound to be lightweight for sandals? If so, I will stick with my flips. If not, can you please point me in the right direction?

Ah, I can answer this! At least for Tevas. FYI, if you look at Sierra Trading Post's (aka STP) website, ie http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product/index/9111v/?colorFamily=20&itemCode=9111V-20-8-M, and look under "SPECS", they list the weight for the pair.

Verras = 13.6 oz
Terra Fi Lite = 14.8 oz
Terra Float Livia = 10.4 oz
Hurricane = 16 oz
Tirra = 18 oz
Original = 10.4 oz
Original Sport = 9.6 oz
Terra Float Nova = 10.4 oz

Note: not all these are recommended for hiking. The Hurricane and Terra Fi Lite are probably best suited for hiking as they have sturdier soles, at least one has a Vibram sole, and are more robust. I was looking for the lightest pair to wear afterwards and for beach walking (I'm doing the Senda Littoral in Portugal) and chose the Original Sport.

If you sign up for STP's emails, you'll get daily emails of discounts which can knock off a significant amount from their listed price.

Just a quick note stating the obvious, most alburgues ask you to remove your hiking boots or sandals at entrance, so it is imperative to have a second shoe or sandal. I bought a pair of keens uneeks they are light and great to wear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I personally wouldn't bother another pair of walking shoes if you are comfortable with the ones you have. I had my trail runners (Altra Lone Peak) and just a thin pair of flip flops for walking around town at the end of the day or in the shower. I used them for both :) Buen Camino!

I will try the chacos, perhaps they will work for me.
I found a pair of chacos and the weight for the pair was the same as the weight for my very light nikeshoes and flipflop (crocs) 580 gr all together. My total weight in my backpack is 6 kg, but not including water. I have already walked for several hours with the backpack and it feels good. And here it is still winter and snow....I am walking for several hours each week, both with and without the backpack. And we do have hills here in Norway.

€46,-

I take Teva fi-lite sandals for after walking. Can also walk in them if needed. I think that's one item that's definitely worth the extra weight, (around 400g. )

Before the Camino, I wore size 6 1/2 (American). A friend told me that my feet would swell a lot but they had never swollen on treks in Appalachia or Himalayas. So I took Size 7 Keen hiking shoes and black crocks for casual wear. I thought I had covered and protected myself from foot swelling by taking very expensive merino wool compression socks. Wrong. Somewhere after Pamplona, I noticed a little swelling. Then heading out at dawn for Santo Domingo, my shoes were so tight I switched to crocks. I walked in crocks all the way and the crocks which are normally large were snug on my feet. So the next time I went back to the Camino, I took size 8 Keens and crocks again. That's 3 sizes too big which is exactly what my friend had recommended the first time around. I had no problem. I had silk liners, medium weight socks and slightly thicker merino wool. The degree of swelling or lack or swelling dictated the sock combinations for the day. In the beginning I wore two sets. When my feet swelled, just one pair. I Vaselined my feet every day before I put my socks on and I never got any blisters. So, that worked for me. Now that the Camino is over, I continue to where larger sizes. I think my feet may be bigger than before the Camino. My pack was very light--I only carried 13.5 pounds. Had it been heavier, I think the would have been harder on my feet.

One thing is sure, it is not possible to prepare for everything. I think I have what I need, and if I don't, things will work out somehow anyway. Thanks to all of you for your advice. In 78 days I am ready to go, staying at Orrisson the first night, giving myself a good start.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had intended to take Teva sandals as my second pair of shoes as I did for my previous May - June Camino. Now I'm thinking that Croc may be better in late September - early November when the evenings will be cold. Guess I could wear socks with either...

This is such a great thread. I'm planning my first camino and have the same question! I'm currently narrowing down my walking shoe choice, and would like to carry something to rest my feet and walk around in, but also (being a nurse) I'm completely UNwilling to shower without some form of footwear on (I even wear them into hotel showers, and travel with a small spray bottle of bleach, to give you an idea.)

I found a great pair of VERY light weight (almost disposable) sandals at Daiso. They set me back a whopping $1.50 and weigh 110 grams (about 3.8 ounces) They're virtually featherweight, but I'd say I couldn't walk around in these as they offer no arch support or cushion whatsoever. I normally wear a pair of crocs (an open sandal version, not those clogs that gave me plantar fasciitis) and I probably should just take those--but they weigh more, and I still wouldn't walk around in them.

I snapped a couple of pics. They're well worth the price for shower shoes, but I wouldn't spend more than 20 minutes in them. Also, they come in the one size. I wear a 40 (9 us women's) but these fit like a 10 or 11, quite loose. Still, they stay on, that's all I need.
IMG_2089.JPG IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2091.JPG

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.