• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Extra shoes?

Maple Leaf Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
I start my first Camino in two weeks and I've been thinking a bit about some what-ifs. For footwear, I'm bringing one pair of shoes and flipflops for the shower. But I got to thinking: what happens if I get stuck in several days of rain and that one pair of shoes get soaked?

What have others done? Bring an extra pair? Stick wet shoes in a dryer?

I'm really forcing myself to not overpack and I suspect that this last-minute thinking is going to result in me throwing in extra things I don't need.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We're leaving towards end of July. Boots will be our primary footwear as I wouldn't want to be wearing anything else for some of the downhills in the first few days, however, this time we'll also be taking walking sandals for some of the flatter and city walking; not least just to give our feet some respite from the same environment day after day. We'll also have flip-flops. Never underestimate the sheer pleasure of putting your flip-flops on at the end of the day!!

Sure there's the extra weight (minimal) of the walking sandals but I'm happy to forego other things to keep my feet in good condition.

I am leaving tomorrow and am making last minute (hopefully not panicky) changes to my packing list based on the weather forecast - which is three days of solid rain and three of sun. I am taking my non-waterproof Hoka trail shoes and a pair of Teva Toachi sandals, which I will walk in when it rains hard to keep the shoes dry. If it is only light rain I keep the shoes on. The sandals are comfortable enough to walk distances in, dry quicker than my shoes and are also good for a change if I get too hot or get blisters. Plus of course for going out in the evening. Both the shoes and sandals are lightweight so I am happy with that. The Toachi model is 100g lighter per sandal than the Terra Fi 4, which was my first choice, but I'd say just as comfortable.

... But I got to thinking: what happens if I get stuck in several days of rain and that one pair of shoes get soaked?...

Stuff them with old newspapers (normally provided in the albergues, or ask in the local bar) and exchange it several times. Keep shoes away from direct heat. They will be fine in the morning, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would avoid putting shoes in a clothes dryer - apparently the heat will melt the glue and the shoes fall apart (apparently). I have used the advice from @SYates above - a couple of changes of newspaper over an hour or two and my trail runners were fine by the next morning. I didn't find I needed more than trail shoes for the camino at this time of year, although it was far from rain free - I used walking poles for stability and found that to be brilliant. Each to their own re: shoes versus boots. Not opening up that can of worms!

I am leaving tomorrow and am making last minute (hopefully not panicky) changes to my packing list based on the weather forecast - which is three days of solid rain and three of sun. I am taking my non-waterproof Hoka trail shoes and a pair of Teva Toachi sandals, which I will walk in when it rains hard to keep the shoes dry. If it is only light rain I keep the shoes on. The sandals are comfortable enough to walk distances in, dry quicker than my shoes and are also good for a change if I get too hot or get blisters. Plus of course for going out in the evening. Both the shoes and sandals are lightweight so I am happy with that. The Toachi model is 100g lighter per sandal than the Terra Fi 4, which was my first choice, but I'd say just as comfortable.

It is not possible for me to walk in wet sandals. The sandal grips the ground well but my foot slides all over the inside of the sandal (I have Terra Fi 4s) even with it snug.

Never underestimate the sheer pleasure of putting your flip-flops on at the end of the day!!
In 2015 I walked from Burgundy in France to Santiago. The first 900 kilometers went by without any physical problems. Then I took a restday in SJPP and walked on my flipflops. It ended with recovering from tendonitis in Pamplona for 6 days... ;)

I am leaving in 9 days for the Camino del Norte and am still doubting. No more flip-flops (however I loved them until I got tendonitis). I have a nice pair of Teva Kayenta sandals. But tomorrow my first pair of FiveFingers arrives in the mail! They sound so nice, but I have only 8 days left to try them...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I start my first Camino in two weeks and I've been thinking a bit about some what-ifs. For footwear, I'm bringing one pair of shoes and flipflops for the shower. But I got to thinking: what happens if I get stuck in several days of rain and that one pair of shoes get soaked?

I'm really forcing myself to not overpack and I suspect that this last-minute thinking is going to result in me throwing in extra things I don't need.

Here is what I wrote in a different thread:
"Trail running shoes DO dry out pretty quickly. Boots will stay wet a lot longer than the shoes will. I have used trail runners on hikes throughout the Cascades, for weeks at a time, where rain was a given and soggy, puddled trails were inevitable. Yeah, the shoes (New Balance Leadville) would get wet, but paired with the smartwool socks I use, kept my feet comfortable. No blisters, and things dried out overnight.

I also carry an extra pair of lightweight insoles to swap out if the wet insoles aren't quite dry enough. And of course, extra socks. If I expect rain, I will apply a heavy coat of something like Body Glide, or Bonnies Balm to my feet to help keep them protected from pruning from excessively prolonged exposure to water. Of course, periodic breaks to allow for removing shoes and to dry off feet a bit is a good strategy.

For me, the conversion to trail runners about five years ago, was eye opening. Without the extra weight on my feet I am able to go farther with less fatigue."

Hope this helps. :)

I wear leather boots. They get totally soaked if it rains. If wet I stuff with newspaper and keep them away from any heat as the leather will harden and the boots will be useless. If they are still wet the next morning I put them on and start walking - if it's still raining then no problem because they are always soaked if it is raining and if it's not raining they dry so still no problem. The only time there are any issues with wet boots is trying to get them onto my feet first thing in the morning and the fact that the skin on the heel of my feet gets soft and peels off.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Mike Savage Is that with or without socks in the sandals? Walking in wet sandals can be great or they can rub, depending on the material in the straps. Wet skin in rubber sandals doesn't work for me either for proper walking, I always put (merino mix) socks on to avoid slipping and rubbing. Also, socks in sandals is camino chic! :D

I am taking my non-waterproof Hoka trail shoes and a pair of Teva Toachi sandals, which I will walk in when it rains hard to keep the shoes dry.

Depending on the "volume" of the rain, at times, the trail could become muddy / slippery, not sure if the sandals could handle such situations well. Just a thought :)

wet shoes were not much of a problem , as long as you have dry socks ,
after ten minutes they are wet and warm , if it's dry they will dry , if it's wet weather , well what's the difference !

but DO take a pair of soft slippers to wear after the walk or around town ,
get some looking ok and not heavy or bulky , it will help your shoes and your feet
If there is some problem with the shoes , there is plenty of shops in Spain , cheaper too , even the top brand

P.S. hello Luca , did you walk from Vezelay ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

You have no room for extra shoes. Weight is a big issue. We did notice a lot of people wearing boot/shoe covers. Like a sleeve that covers your boot so it won't get wet. That would have been nice to have. Sock liners....I can't say enough how they prevented blisters. Just keep it light......Buen Camino

You have no room for extra shoes. Weight is a big issue. We did notice a lot of people wearing boot/shoe covers. Like a sleeve that covers your boot so it won't get wet. That would have been nice to have. Sock liners....I can't say enough how they prevented blisters. Just keep it light......Buen Camino

Well actually depending how you pack you do have room for extra shoes. In addition to my primary walking Merrell trail shoes, I also packed a pair of runners. On a few days, having the alternate runners with me was a real life saver as with different pressure points, my feet which were hurting in my primary shoes felt almost perfect in the alternates. Many days I would walk half the day in my primaries and half in my alternates and finished my Portuguese Camino this year with literally no foot issues at all. If I had had only the one pair of shoes I would have had blister issues for sure. Also socks with built in liners were good as was changing socks out at mid day as well to dry ones.
Personally I would recommend staying away from hiking boots altogether and go with trail shoes. Tried different boots on my first 2 Camino's and always had blister issues, once I settled on lighter trail shoes, virtually no foot issues in my last couple of Camino's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I met a Danish woman whose shower shoes were crocs and when her boots had failed her, she had walked over 500km in the crocs.

Not a recommendation, but might be something to think about.

My second shoes were the shower flipflops, I walked around town with them, but didn't wear them with my backpack.

@Mike Savage Is that with or without socks in the sandals? Walking in wet sandals can be great or they can rub, depending on the material in the straps. Wet skin in rubber sandals doesn't work for me either for proper walking, I always put (merino mix) socks on to avoid slipping and rubbing. Also, socks in sandals is camino chic! :D

That is without socks and here at home. I have not brought any type of sandals on the Camino. Maybe wearing socks is the answer but then my feet would stay wet longer if it were raining.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stuff them with old newspapers (normally provided in the albergues, or ask in the local bar) and exchange it several times. Keep shoes away from direct heat. They will be fine in the morning, SY
And remove the insoles while they're drying.

Get water-proof Columbia running shoes (about $130) and go a size and a half bigger for the thick smart wool or alpaca socks and
for your foot to swell about a full size. I carried a second pair of ASAICS attached to the outside of my pack (which would be inside
the rain cover when it rained. ) I switched back and forth to have different hot spots for blisters and to stay drier. If my shoes were muddy
and I had to leave them outside the albergue, then I had the extra pair. My feet were never wet...with two pair, I always had a dry one.
I stayed at a lot of 3 and 4 star hotels and could always dry my shoes with the hair dryer. Or put your shoes on top of the heater in the room
to dry. I did both the Frances and Portuguese Caminos in February and March. Check out this on shoes and gear
https://www.slowcaminobook.com/pilgrims-walking-gear.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My solution was to wear Dirty Girl gaiters, which I'd given an extra spray of water repellent. They're next to weightless, and while they might not hold back a deluge, will keep out a whole lot of water. And also burrs, pebbles, sticks, etc, in dry weather.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Back