• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extras

What extras will you bring along the Way?

• Total voters
Time of past OR future Camino
CF: '06: SJPP -> San. '10 - '11: Pamplona -> Finisterre '12: Ponferrada -> San. CN: '12: Irun -> San
Hello My Friends,
Perhaps this has been talked about before. I did a little hunting around, but didn't see anything, so I thought I'd start a thread and see where it goes!
When I walked el Camino Frances (a few different times starting from few different places) I brought along some books, a sketch pad, some writing material/journals, etc. The books were not guides, but rather some literature/poetry.
During my time on del Norte I had some similar "extras".
As I prep for Via de la Plata I am again considering ideas of what I might like to have with me. Whether it be in the evenings or during a midday rest, etc., I know I'll narrow it down to a few "extras" that I might enjoy.
My first journey along el Frances was waaaayyy back in the days before smartphones, facebook, instagram, etc. I had a disposable camera and that was it! So, in keeping with this simplicity, I like to refrain from using such things during my walks. To me, and this is my humble opinion, once they are removed one can spend time being there fully, soaking it in, etc. Naturally, considering the day and age we are in, I will snap a few photos to share with family and, in the evenings, update them with a quick whatsapp notice.
(Wow, this is longer than my initial intention...)
Anyways, considering the length of VdlP and the need to be mindful of space/weight, what extras do you all plan to bring with you along the Way? A bird watching guide? A deck of cards for an evening game of solitaire? A laptop/other such device, for updating blogs, etc.?
Many big Camino hugs!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I consider to bring one of my analogue cameras, light meter and film. Might be a fairly antique one from around 90 years ago.

I think this would be a great "extra"! The pleasure of processing the film would certainly be worth the extra weight of such a setup :)

I bring a light weight rechargeable battery operated shaver - don't like too many whiskers on my face, which add weight anyway :) .

I'm also going to buy a portable smartphone charger to use on the next trip. There will be a little clothing cull to cut weight to compensate for the extra though. For instance, I carried rainpants all the way from Lisbon to Finnistere without wearing them once. Thankfull for the extra exercise though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Playing cards, definitely! My granddaughter volunteered to be the carrier. I'm travelling with 2 other friends with whom I play Continental every month and they love it. I taught my sweet granddaughter how to play and she loves the game and the competition! SO, it's a win, win situation for me because I don't have the extra ounces;)
Ultreïa!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Way too many extras - some because I need them, others because they enhance my journey.

Need - computer/tablet for work (and please don't rehash the "do the Camino to escape work" thing - already discussed in a now closed thread); cell phone (mobile hotspot/maps/tracking)

Enhance journey - deck of cards and cribbage board (anyone interested in a game?); small autofocus binoculars (I like to look at things), small camera with 20X optical zoom (better photos than a cell phone); iPod (for Spanish and French language lessons and the occasional Jimmy Buffett song); electric beard trimmer (don't want to shave, don't want a full beard)

Yeah, it all probably adds a couple of pounds, but it makes my Camino more enjoyable.

Way too many extras - some because I need them, others because they enhance my journey.

Need - computer/tablet for work (and please don't rehash the "do the Camino to escape work" thing - already discussed in a now closed thread); cell phone (mobile hotspot/maps/tracking)

Enhance journey - deck of cards and cribbage board (anyone interested in a game?); small autofocus binoculars (I like to look at things), small camera with 20X optical zoom (better photos than a cell phone); iPod (for Spanish and French language lessons and the occasional Jimmy Buffett song); electric beard trimmer (don't want to shave, don't want a full beard)

Yeah, it all probably adds a couple of pounds, but it makes my Camino more enjoyable.
My motto is that you should carry what makes you comfortable, so long as you can comfortably carry it. So if what you bring enhances your Camino and it's not burdensome go for it!

Actually, having a granddaughter volunteer to carry weight is not a bad idea. Golfers have caddies so why not granddaughter for Peregrinsos? Caddies might be a lot cheaper though! 🙂

Don't you worry about breaking the glass plates? ;)
Actually, then I would have to bring my camera from 1890 ... but for good reasons I do not ;-) Also one time I lugged my 4x5 planflim camera into the mountains ... pnly to experience zero visibility.
This time it will probably be only a pre-war 120 rollfilm camera :)

Actually, then I would have to bring my camera from 1890 ... but for good reasons I do not ;-) Also one time I lugged my 4x5 planflim camera into the mountains ... pnly to experience zero visibility.
This time it will probably be only a pre-war 120 rollfilm camera :)
Sadly my roll film cameras seldom get used nowadays and the weight! (Fuji GS645S = 900g and Yashica 635 = 1300g!)

I have, however, been playing "old school" photography with my DSLR - set on manual at 1/50 sec, f16 and ISO 100. A 32Mb card (yes they do exist) gives me just 6 frames @ 12Mp (12 @ 6.3Mp) - no cheating, no deleting. B&W of course (this colour film nonsense will never catch on). Surprising good results in bright sunshine (sun behind me of course ;)) and it concentrates the mind wonderfully on the chosen subject.

My nephew's exhortation (he teaches photography) to "Just go out and buy a Box Brownie" falls on deaf ears.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a light-with isolated matress (100 gr) to have a siesta in the middle of nowhere or to sit down for a picnic in These Long sections without infrastructure. And an open mind of course, encouraging me to talk to locals and fellow pilgrims rather than reading a book.

deck of cards and cribbage board (anyone interested in a game?)
:)
You're on @Geodoc.
Grand idea.

A small jar of vegimite.....
Mmmmmmm. Also a grand idea! What would it take for you to share that, Miki?😋

I have a too-large first aid kit. And a camera that I use too much. And a mobile phone that rarely gets used...

Last edited:
I have, however, been playing "old school" photography with my DSLR - set on manual at 1/50 sec, f16 and ISO 100. A 32Mb card (yes they do exist) gives me just 6 frames @ 12Mp (12 @ 6.3Mp) - no cheating, no deleting.
In extremely scenic Seddona, Arizona, USA we stopped in at a photographer's gallery. He wasn't there but the shopkeeper pointed to two lovely pictures of one place and mentioned that they were exceptional in that the photographer normally restricted himself to taking just one photograph a day.

Mobile phone which I use as a guidebook, map, camera (I have to leave my slr at home because of the weight and my company, who knows with a camera close I forget everything around me including time), writing device, library, and much more. Probably a little gimbal as well as a spare battery 😉

Is cribbage still popular in the US? Used to play it all the time with my Dad - that and "Nap" or Napoleon (which I think you call Euchre in the US?) which has wonderful names for hands like misère, Blücher, Wellington and, of course Napoleon.
Nobody seems to play them anymore so I have to resort to on-line gaming and it's really not as much fun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In extremely scenic Seddona, Arizona, USA we stopped in at a photographer's gallery. He wasn't there but the shopkeeper pointed to two lovely pictures of one place and mentioned that they were exceptional in that the photographer normally restricted himself to taking just one photograph a day.
I admire his commitment - my "best shot" of the day is often the one I could have taken if I hadn't run out of memory. My nephew says I could always carry a spare 32Mb memory card (!) but that would be stretching the rules!

:)
You're on @Geodoc.
Grand idea.

Mmmmmmm. Also a grand idea! What would it take for you to share that, Miki?😋

Just meet me on the Portuguese way (Lisbon) from May 1st....or English Way (Ferrol) June 5th.....
Love

I have a too-large first aid kit. And a camera that I use too much. And a mobile phone that rarely gets used...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m a bit of a techno geek so......
- phone
- mini IPad (I just hate searching for things on my phone plus we can stream some stuff from home if we get the time or inclination.)
- kindle ( gotta have a book to read before I nod off )
- battery bank
- a tiny mp3 player for audiobooks and podcasts I have been downloading (70 hr battery life if I am to believe the eBay seller)

I know it’s a bit of weight the rest of my stuff is pretty light.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bring a light weight rechargeable battery operated shaver - don't like too many whiskers on my face, which add weight anyway :) .

I'm also going to buy a portable smartphone charger to use on the next trip. There will be a little clothing cull to cut weight to compensate for the extra though. For instance, I carried rainpants all the way from Lisbon to Finnistere without wearing them once. Thankfull for the extra exercise though.

ohhh I think it's great to grow the 'ol pilgrim people. As you'll see in my photo (avatar?) I was getting kinda shaggy by the end! I was trying to clip it with scissors that were in a small med kit, but then just gave up and let it go wild!

I’m a bit of a techno geek so......
- phone
- mini IPad (I just hate searching for things on my phone plus we can stream some stuff from home if we get the time or inclination.)
- kindle ( gotta have a book to read before I nod off )
- battery bank
- a tiny mp3 player for audiobooks and podcasts I have been downloading (70 hr battery life if I am to believe the eBay seller)

I know it’s a bit of weight the rest of my stuff is pretty light.

Definitely some audiobooks! I really enjoy these in the evening when I was to unwind a bit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a light-with isolated matress (100 gr) to have a siesta in the middle of nowhere or to sit down for a picnic in These Long sections without infrastructure. And an open mind of course, encouraging me to talk to locals and fellow pilgrims rather than reading a book.

I've discovered the mattress is a great idea! Just a closed cell one, very lightweight & they can pack small. They keep the dust etc. off the bum and are very nice to sprawl out on for a little snooze!

Talking to locals is a must!

Waterproof socks. As long as my feet are dry, I'm happy :)

Yep! Basically! I could walk with nothin' but my credentials and a tooth brush (ok some clothing, too), as long as my feet are dry and feelin' good, I'm feelin' good!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My motto is that you should carry what makes you comfortable, so long as you can comfortably carry it. So if what you bring enhances your Camino and it's not burdensome go for it!

Certainly! Though I sometimes have to sit back and say "ok, do I need this, really?"

Harmonica because I woudn't want to break a ukulele. Don't worry, I never play to an audience.

Have you thought of investing in a carbon fiber uke? I know they make carbon fiber guitars that are basically indestructible!

I wonder if you can play "postal cribbage" like postal chess in days of yore?
Beats me. I'm an "in person" kind of person :) (and considering how much cheating my wife's family does, it would be hard for me to verify via post). Besides, the boasting byplay wouldn't be as much fun (we're very vocal when we play cribbage, or any other card game).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have you thought of investing in a carbon fiber uke? I know they make carbon fiber guitars that are basically indestructible!
I have (among others) a Makala Dolphin ukulele made from molded resin - I heartily recommend these for sound and value - you could probably use it to play table tennis (or even lawn tennis) and it wouldn't make a dent!

First time I went from Leon to SdeC on CF I took a journal as my extra but since then as I have walked a few other sections and routes a few extras have been added especially as I have walked in January with few other pilgrims so i needed something to do on cold dark nights. My kindle has been added in and a crochet hook and thread. I tend to make something small and simple like a flower and then use it as a gift along the way.

I have (among others) a Makala Dolphin ukulele made from molded resin - I heartily recommend these for sound and value - you could probably use it to play table tennis (or even lawn tennis) and it wouldn't make a dent!

I am looking at one of their guitars. They look amazing!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Something extra, and personal, and "useless" is in my view an absolute necessity -- my craziest one personally was 6 volumes of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu in 1994 -- the excellent one-volume Gallimard edition didn't exist back in those days, else I'd have carried that instead.

I had to find out the hard way though that the facsimile 18th Century Latin Breviary I was carrying this time is simply too heavy, and I'll need to leave it at home before restarting, but that's what being 25 years older than I was does to a pilgrim ...

Hello My Friends,
Perhaps this has been talked about before. I did a little hunting around, but didn't see anything, so I thought I'd start a thread and see where it goes!
When I walked el Camino Frances (a few different times starting from few different places) I brought along some books, a sketch pad, some writing material/journals, etc. The books were not guides, but rather some literature/poetry.
During my time on del Norte I had some similar "extras".
As I prep for Via de la Plata I am again considering ideas of what I might like to have with me. Whether it be in the evenings or during a midday rest, etc., I know I'll narrow it down to a few "extras" that I might enjoy.
My first journey along el Frances was waaaayyy back in the days before smartphones, facebook, instagram, etc. I had a disposable camera and that was it! So, in keeping with this simplicity, I like to refrain from using such things during my walks. To me, and this is my humble opinion, once they are removed one can spend time being there fully, soaking it in, etc. Naturally, considering the day and age we are in, I will snap a few photos to share with family and, in the evenings, update them with a quick whatsapp notice.
(Wow, this is longer than my initial intention...)
Anyways, considering the length of VdlP and the need to be mindful of space/weight, what extras do you all plan to bring with you along the Way? A bird watching guide? A deck of cards for an evening game of solitaire? A laptop/other such device, for updating blogs, etc.?
Many big Camino hugs!
A swimming suit for finisterre!

A large microwavable cup. Look on YouTube for meals-in-a-cup. You can cook almost anything in 5 minute in a cup in a microwave. Just a few ounces in the backpack provides the possibility of a homemade hot meal in almost any albergue.

A large microwavable cup. Look on YouTube for meals-in-a-cup. You can cook almost anything in 5 minute in a cup in a microwave. Just a few ounces in the backpack provides the possibility of a homemade hot meal in almost any albergue.

Is that like MREs? I've eaten a few of these and, though certainly not mamma's home cookin', they aren't bad!

Something extra, and personal, and "useless" is in my view an absolute necessity -- my craziest one personally was 6 volumes of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu in 1994 -- the excellent one-volume Gallimard edition didn't exist back in those days, else I'd have carried that instead.

Did you read all six volumes and if so, did you discard each on completion. I rather like the novel idea of following Swann’s Way!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did you read all six volumes and if so, did you discard each on completion. I rather like the novel idea of following Swann’s Way!

I didn't discard them on the way, but I did leave a packet in books in Burgos to pick up on the way home.

IIRC I managed to read 3 and some of a 4th, but I needed to keep all of them as I was starting Univ right after the Camino. It was a good choice of "extra" anyway, as I ended up being top in Proust ... :cool:

I am carrying a spiky massage ball for my calves. I had terrible Achilles Tendonitis last trip and only massage from my Camino buddy everyday kept me going. This time I'm on my own so need to be able to do it myself if needed...so far it hasn't kicked in again which I'm grateful for

Sadly my roll film cameras seldom get used nowadays and the weight! (Fuji GS645S = 900g and Yashica 635 = 1300g!)

I have, however, been playing "old school" photography with my DSLR - set on manual at 1/50 sec, f16 and ISO 100. A 32Mb card (yes they do exist) gives me just 6 frames @ 12Mp (12 @ 6.3Mp) - no cheating, no deleting. B&W of course (this colour film nonsense will never catch on). Surprising good results in bright sunshine (sun behind me of course ;)) and it concentrates the mind wonderfully on the chosen subject.

My nephew's exhortation (he teaches photography) to "Just go out and buy a Box Brownie" falls on deaf ears.
I have considered taking my Lubitel medium Format camera since it is lightweight. I would of course only use monochrome film. My Mamiya 645 is way too heavy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back