• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Fabulous places to stay!

the calling

I am currently on the Camino Frances and there are two very special Casa Ruals that I have stayed in that are definitely worth mentioning!
The first is El Caminero which is in Hospital de Orbigo, in between Leon and Villar de Mazariff. Jesus & Mayka, the couple who own and manage this little haven, are utterly charming and so professional! Their attention to detail and high standards are rarely found in 6 star hotels. They both cooked an outstanding, four course dinner in full chefs uniforms, which was delicious!
The second is La Posado del Peregrino in El Acebo, between Rabanal and Molinaseca. Again. Wonderful hosts, cozy, dining room with fireplace and wonderful outside terrace. Amazing food, nothing is too much trouble for then and the Casa is extremely well run! 10 out of 10 to them as well. AND guess what, rooms were available in both! Why stress about accommodation in the "recommended" stopping points when such wonderful experiences are to be found in between and such a change to the tired Pilgrim's Menu!!
On the other hand I would strongly advise people traveling through Astroga, NOT to stay at Hotel Guadi. The rooms are dingy, beds slope inwards and downwards, cleanliness is obviously not a high priority, their management (owners) are arrogantly rude and everything was too much trouble for them. I didn't stay long enough to taste the food! Bueno Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am currently on the Camino Frances and there are two very special Casa Ruals that I have stayed in that are definitely worth mentioning!
The first is El Caminero which is in Hospital de Orbigo, in between Leon and Villar de Mazariff. Jesus & Mayka, the couple who own and manage this little haven, are utterly charming and so professional! Their attention to detail and high standards are rarely found in 6 star hotels. They both cooked an outstanding, four course dinner in full chefs uniforms, which was delicious!
The second is La Posado del Peregrino in El Acebo, between Rabanal and Molinaseca. Again. Wonderful hosts, cozy, dining room with fireplace and wonderful outside terrace. Amazing food, nothing is too much trouble for then and the Casa is extremely well run! 10 out of 10 to them as well. AND guess what, rooms were available in both! Why stress about accommodation in the "recommended" stopping points when such wonderful experiences are to be found in between and such a change to the tired Pilgrim's Menu!!
On the other hand I would strongly advise people traveling through Astroga, NOT to stay at Hotel Guadi. The rooms are dingy, beds slope inwards and downwards, cleanliness is obviously not a high priority, their management (owners) are arrogantly rude and everything was too much trouble for them. I didn't stay long enough to taste the food! Bueno Camino!
Thanks for posting :).
But:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...lbergue-that-you-would-say-not-to-miss.10443/

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For alternative accommodation on this stretch, I would recommend Molino Galochas, a km or so out of Villavante (their website is down, but there are very recent reviews on tripadvisor up, so they are clearly operating). They have a stable of some very aesthetic cats on the property.

Agree it's a bit more expensive, but when you consider that at 45€ for a beautiful bedroom, 25E for a four course, home cooked meal, an excellent "Bottled"wine, water and desert wine are all included. ( they even brew their own beer which a fellow German traveller said was "Excellent!". Finally, a full cooked breakfast for 5€, I thought it wasn't bad for such a great experience!

I stayed at Molino Galochas and found the hosts utterly charming. One of my favourite places on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The two reviews are great and I will keep them in mind for hopefully my next Camino, however I have to disagree with your comments on Hotel Gaudi, I can assure you our beds did not slope and everything was very clean, The lady at reception did not speak english and this can be frustrating for both parties but everything worked out. After a very hard day and my walking partner quite a bit behind my priority was to find private accommodation so she could have peace and quiet and therefore we ate at the hotel, it was a lovely meal, not only that we could look out at the window at the Bishop's house.

The first is El Caminero which is in Hospital de Orbigo, in between Leon and Villar de Mazariff. Jesus & Mayka, the couple who own and manage this little haven, are utterly charming and so professional! Their attention to detail and high standards are rarely found in 6 star hotels. They both cooked an outstanding, four course dinner in full chefs uniforms, which was delicious!!
Not every pilgrim is visitor to Casas rurales, let alone x-star hotels. There is no doubt that many "upscale" hospitality units and their operators are worth mentioning. I have, however, a problem when this Forum is being used as a sort of Tripadvisor.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have, however, a problem when this Forum is being used as a sort of Tripadvisor.

I respectfully disagree. I think this forum is literally exactly where this information should be shared. And let me explain why.

As I have shared on this forum under other threads, I am a self-employed without any employees. That left me with three choices: (1) never walk the Camino; (2) walk the Camino and destroy my business; or (3) walk the Camino and run my business from 5,000 miles away. Obviously, I would have preferred option No. 2. In order not impose on other pilgrims, I often checked into rural casas, dumpy one star hotels, and albergues with private rooms so I could conduct my business way from others. I did this because I did not want to spoil the experience for others who came to the Camino to unwind and be free of work related noise.

The second reason I stayed in rural casas, one star dumps, and albergues with private rooms is that I snore. Bad. Again, I did not want to impose on others.

I am planning to walk the Camino again next April and I have begun compiling a list of rural casas mentioned by various pilgrims on various threads. I find this information extremely helpful because I want to stay in new villages rather than repeat my previous Camino experience.

RobertS26 you might want to consider "hostales" and not necessarily "casas rurales"? Or a combination of the two? Depending upon which facilities you need?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"I am planning to walk the Camino again next April and I have begun compiling a list of rural casas mentioned by various pilgrims on various threads. I find this information extremely helpful because I want to stay in new villages rather than repeat my previous Camino experience."

RobertS26 I would love to see your list :)

For alternative accommodation on this stretch, I would recommend Molino Galochas, a km or so out of Villavante (their website is down, but there are very recent reviews on tripadvisor up, so they are clearly operating). They have a stable of some very aesthetic cats on the property.
We totally agree with your comments about the Molino Galochas. It was a long walk from Leon but well worth it. Mercedes is a wonderful hostess and a great cook. The best place we stayed on all of the camino.

Mercedes and Maximo from Molino Galochas took me to the local health Centre the afternoon we arrived and again the next morning. I am not sure I would be three days out from Santiago if it were not for their help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had a very different experience at Hotel Gaudi. We stayed there one night for a special treat. We found the woman at reception very friendly. She gave us a lovely room that looked directly at the Gaudi palace and the Cathedral. It was stunning. She have us directions to laundry. I had a long, much needed soak in a big tub. Communication was challenging due to the fact that we do not speak Spanish. But she certainly went out of her way to understand our needs.

The next night we stayed at Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María. Loved it, too. I would have to say that I have found something special about every place we have stayed.

We stayed at these 2 Pazos on the last 2 nights of our Camino, and will do so again this Fall.

1 - Pazo Santa Maria in Arzua, https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/pazo-de-santa-maria.html
Lovely, quiet place, but well off the Camino, call for transportation. The homemade, fresh local food is worth the stay, and the extra mileage.

2 - Pazo Xan Xordo in Lavacolla, http://www.pazoxanxordo.com/. Stunning place, absolutely beautiful and warm and inviting. Light breakfast, but no dinner. The owner will take you down the road to a fine restaurant, and pick you up when finished. The Pazo is about 9 km from Santiago. It is about 1 km off the Camino, but there is a lovely well marked trail that rejoins the Camino after a kilometer or 2, a nice quiet morning walk to prepare for arrival in Santiago de Compostela.

We really like these places and would visit them anytime when in the area, Camino or not.

I have just stayed at the Casa El Cura in Calzadilla De Los Hermanillos on the alternative route out of Sahagun. It was the best experience on the Camino so far. The owners are absolutely wonderful and can't do enough for you. The rooms are big and spacious and very clean, but it's the food that stands out head and shoulders above the rest. It was amazing I would have paid double the 12euro that was charged and still feel that I got an outstanding meal for the money. From the very begining. I knew the meal was going to be good, we were asked what we wanted to drink beer,white or red wine. I chose the white wine which was a bottle of great quality wine. Along with a large basket of crusty bread we were given a plate of meats and cheese. This_ was followed by a great 3 course meal, (all homemade including desserts) another plate of cheese and schnapps. So if you are staying in Calzada de Los. Hermanillos don't miss eating at the Casa el Cura. Well worth taking the alternative route for this place alone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not every pilgrim is visitor to Casas rurales, let alone x-star hotels. There is no doubt that many "upscale" hospitality units and their operators are worth mentioning. I have, however, a problem when this Forum is being used as a sort of Tripadvisor.
Sorry I have to respectfully disagree as well. My husband has disabilities and after major surgery last year we are walking the Camino, hopefully from SJPP to Santiago, to give grace and gratitude for his recovery. I call him Miracle Man because he is out of a wheelchair and training his hardest to walk with me (a long held dream of mine). He may need to take buses or taxis, but hey who cares. He will be out there everyday trying his hardest. He needs time in a bathroom and cannot make it onto a bunk and we just can't risk not getting a bed for the night. We might need to spend 2 nights in a place. We therefore cannot depend on Albergues and I have made a list of possible accommodations that I can ring ahead to book. I found it massively time consuming to do this and I appreciate all of the suggestions forum people have made for my "list". It is now complete with email addresses and phone numbers. The two places mentioned by "the Calling" member are on my list so I will put an asterisk by them. I hope that I will be able to post in November, having completed the Camino Frances, that I have a list of non albergue accommodations for anyone who is interested.

One place not mentioned is Casa el Cruz de Ferro in Rabanal. A simple place. Room is upstairs and I suggest you get the twin room as the matrimonial (as Spaniards call it) is v.small. Everywhere else in Rabanal was booked out and we were grateful for the room. The paella for dinner was delicious.

And I forgot to add La Trucha in El Acebo. A peaceful environment after a day of walking. Vegetarian meals and inexpensive for what you get.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did this because I did not want to spoil the experience for others who came to the Camino to unwind and be free of work related noise.

The second reason I stayed in rural casas, one star dumps, and albergues with private rooms is that I snore. Bad. Again, I did not want to impose on others.
I heart RobertS26:D Kind and considerate. I will think of you when I end up in a one star dump ;)

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong in sharing information about good accommodation on the Camino as long as it is from personal experience, and is not in any way commercially motivated. I'm not a fan of negative reports because there is no way the establishment can reply and it may defame and unfairly destroy someone's livelihood.
Everyone can have a "bad hair" day.

The Camino is crowded and beds in short supply and some have no choice but to stay in the cheapest accommodation. It is no bad thing for those who can afford it to leave albergue beds for those who really need them. As mentioned by others there are also people who need privacy for medical and other reasons.
Staying in commercial accommodation makes a much needed contribution to the local economy.
I stay mostly in albergues when walking alone because I love meeting people (and I can only afford hotels or equivalents occasionally) but when travelling with my spouse we often stay elsewhere. He snores and people have complained - so he now feels uncomfortable in albergues. I don't sleep well because I'm super sensitive to his noise and constantly trying to stop him. It is more affordable for two to share a hostel or casa rural.

There are plenty posts about good and bad albergues, so I think is fair and square to have posts with comments on the other lodging options AVAILABLE on the Camino as well. These type posts are few and far between , so I think there should be little fear of this site turning into a tripadvisor. :cool:. I saw plenty albergues already advertising on Booking.com, which also publishes reviews.

I am sure glad that somebody is fueling the economy along the Camino. It is because of pilgrims willing to pay in seeking accomodations, food, and shelter that most of the villages and towns sprung up along the Camino. Buen Camino to all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I respectfully disagree with you. Though technology makes it far easier to spread the word about excellent accommodations, don't fool yourself into thinking that people have not been talking about and recommending places for the entirety of the Camino. All Albergues are welcome to follow the ones mentioned here by offering excellent experiences. No one stops them. And by excellent, I think most people mean welcoming, friendly, clean, and caring. Not necessarily upscale.

Just a quick follow-up to the comments from Kanga and Olivares above: Pilgrim spending on lodging and food can be a significant factor in the local economies of some of the smaller towns through which we pass.

As part of a long-term academic study of the Camino and its effects on residents' quality of life, I am conducting a survey of pilgrim spending this summer and fall. If you would be willing to participate, please reply to me via this forum or on email at caminosurvey@gmail.com. It would not take much of your time. Thanks, and buen camino to all.

Dan

Just a quick follow-up to the comments from Kanga and Olivares above: Pilgrim spending on lodging and food can be a significant factor in the local economies of some of the smaller towns through which we pass.

As part of a long-term academic study of the Camino and its effects on residents' quality of life, I am conducting a survey of pilgrim spending this summer and fall. If you would be willing to participate, please reply to me via this forum or on email at caminosurvey@gmail.com. It would not take much of your time. Thanks, and buen camino to all.

Dan
I will begin my Camino on 24 August. I'd be happy to participate if you are willing to wait until then.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will begin my Camino on 24 August. I'd be happy to participate if you are willing to wait until then.
Thanks! I'll reply to you soon via private conversation with more info.
Dan

The two reviews are great and I will keep them in mind for hopefully my next Camino, however I have to disagree with your comments on Hotel Gaudi, I can assure you our beds did not slope and everything was very clean, The lady at reception did not speak english and this can be frustrating for both parties but everything worked out. After a very hard day and my walking partner quite a bit behind my priority was to find private accommodation so she could have peace and quiet and therefore we ate at the hotel, it was a lovely meal, not only that we could look out at the window at the Bishop's house.
I second the positive stay at Hotel Gaudi. We had a very nice room and beds were fine. They let us go to the albergue to wash our clothes because we had arrived very late and the hospitalero there was kind enough to throw them in the dryer and bring them to the hotel for us.
It was a great experience and one I would recommend if you can afford the more costly accommodations.
Rambler

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back