• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fabulous Sorolla exhibit in Madrid opens May 26

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know there are a few forum members who share my love of Sorolla's paintings. I always try to make it to the Museo de Sorolla in Madrid when I am there. The museum is located inside his home and it is just about as perfect as a small art museum can be. http://www.mecd.gob.es/msorolla/inicio.html;jsessionid=2922DB0CF515DD75CB89D2933E47EC32

Now the Prado is going to have a huge Sorolla show, May 26-Sept. 13.
https://www.museodelprado.es/actual...-america/c1b08f10-d0d9-499f-8969-160e74000d5b

https://www.museodelprado.es/actual...-america/c1b08f10-d0d9-499f-8969-160e74000d5b

The collection it is showing is permanently displayed in New York City's Hispanic Society of America, in one of the least visited major art collections in the US. (It probably used to be second to the Barnes in Philadelphia, but now that that museum has moved to the central city, I'll bet the Hispanic Society takes the honors). This free museum, which houses works by all of the Spanish masters, gets about 20,000 visitors a year. The Prado, in contrast, gets more than 2,000,000 a year. When the Hispanic Society closed for renovations in January, they announced plans to send 200 of Sorolla's paintings to the Prado.

I have seen the works exhibited in NYC, and the major Sorolla paintings are a series depicting average people in regional dress from the late 19th-early 20th century.

Kind of ironic that many more Americans will undoubtedly see this exhibition this year than in an average year when the collection is at home. But in any event, if you are in Madrid, I think it is not to be missed! Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow...I am going to tell this to my wife, who is an admirer of her compatriot Sorolla.

Sure you know that the collection of the Spanish Society in NY was an order of Mr Hungtinton to Sorolla on November 26th, 1911. He must paint representatives views of all Spanish regions. The sum of paintings is 70 m long and 3 m high.
The job lasted from 1913 to 1919

Here, in Valencia, his homeland, he is emblematic: the painter of Mediterranean's light.

Wow...I am going to tell this to my wife, who is an admirer of her compatriot Sorolla.

Sure you know that the collection of the Spanish Society in NY was an order of Mr Hungtinton to Sorolla on November 26th, 1911. He must paint representatives views of all Spanish regions. The sum of paintings is 70 m long and 3 m high.
The job lasted from 1913 to 1919

Here, in Valencia, his homeland, he is emblematic: the painter of Mediterranean's light.

Hi, JLWV,

Isn't the series called something like "A Vision of Spain?" I think they are masterful, but I have to admit I much more love his paintings of the beaches with mothers, children, lovely sunlight, and the ocean.

I was really surprised (and sad) when I went to the museum in Valencia at the start of my Camino de Levante. There were some nice portraits if I remember correctly, but not one beach scene. We should tell Madrid to send some of it to Valencia. :p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know there are a few forum members who share my love of Sorolla's paintings. I always try to make it to the Museo de Sorolla in Madrid when I am there. The museum is located inside his home and it is just about as perfect as a small art museum can be. http://www.mecd.gob.es/msorolla/inicio.html;jsessionid=2922DB0CF515DD75CB89D2933E47EC32

Now the Prado is going to have a huge Sorolla show, May 26-Sept. 13. https://www.museodelprado.es/en/wha...863-1923/85db1346-5da6-43ca-807b-028010e8369a

The collection it is showing is permanently displayed in New York City's Hispanic Society of America, in one of the least visited major art collections in the US. (It probably used to be second to the Barnes in Philadelphia, but now that that museum has moved to the central city, I'll bet the Hispanic Society takes the honors). This free museum, which houses works by all of the Spanish masters, gets about 20,000 visitors a year. The Prado, in contrast, gets more than 2,000,000 a year. When the Hispanic Society closed for renovations in January, they announced plans to send 200 of Sorolla's paintings to the Prado.

I have seen the works exhibited in NYC, and the major Sorolla paintings are a series depicting average people in regional dress from the late 19th-early 20th century.

Kind of ironic that many more Americans will undoubtedly see this exhibition this year than in an average year when the collection is at home. But in any event, if you are in Madrid, I think it is not to be missed! Buen camino, Laurie

I was at The Hispanic Society exhibition last wednesday, and there are indeed several Sorollas and even a couple of beach scenes. BTW, The average people from the turn if the previous century are all famous Spanish writers, artists intellectuals and celebrities. That Sorolla got to meet them and paint their portraits is unbelievable. The rest of the exhibition is just as interesting.

Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.