• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Facebook and the forum

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have a question for some of the tech-savvy people in the forum. I have a facebook account, which I use very infrequently and mainly for very close friends and family. Recently several of my facebook "friends" have told me that they have seen posts of mine on this forum. I am not sure how that could have happened since I have never linked the forum to my facebook account (and my nephew who works for google just recently took a look at my settings and confirmed that there is no link).

So how is this happening? And what can I do to stop it? Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
IF you have a google account so do not be inlogged on your google account when you do a google search. That is how the ads are selected and connected to you.

BTW I got an e -mail with the best travel if one likes chocolate from booking.com also and have not been searching for any recipes :)

Last edited:
Mind you search engines are getting very good. I have spent the last couple of days hunting on the internet for some chocolate brownie recipes. Next thing in my inbox today was a message from Booking.com telling me where I could go to find good chocolate in the world and suitable Hotels to stay in. What the ????? :eek:

Oh don't worry, I got the same email, and I assure you, I haven't been looking anything up related to chocolate! (But yes, I see other instances on a daily basis!!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure I understand this. Are you saying that this forum has a facebook page and that I am somehow "cross-referenced" between the forum facebook page and my facebook page? Even though I have a different name on facebook than on the forum?

Not sure I understand this. Are you saying that this forum has a facebook page and that I am somehow "cross-referenced" between the forum facebook page and my facebook page? Even though I have a different name on facebook than on the forum?
Laurie, the owner of this forum Ivar administrates a Facebook page for this forum.
https://www.facebook.com/CaminoDeSantiagoForum

So the postings can be seen there sometimes. I guess that is it Ivar who is linking/ posting. Not the whole forum though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't do Facebook. Would my posts show too? There is a post I actually edited on Yahoo, and shows when I put a non personal search. I cannot see why, and it isn't quite the same as the Facebook linking, but the internet certainly has no privacy. Back into my shell.;)
HH

Hi there,

I think I know what is happening.

I have a facebook account for the forum. There I post links to questions/conversations that I think are interesting, and that might interest others.

Sometimes the image that shows up in Facebook along with the link, is the first image that facebook sees on the page... and some times this is the avatar of the forum member that did the first post. Could this be it? That what they are seeing are the posts that I put up from the forum... and that they have seen a posts where you were the 1st poster?

Saludos,
Ivar

Yes Ivar, I believe that this is what is happening.
I understand the concern, especially for those of us that do not have a 'public' setting on Facebook.
Saludos from Santiago!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the explanations, and I don't have a strong opinion on this either way. Just to make sure I understand, though -- what happens is that Ivar posts a forum link on the forum's facebook page (what is the name of the forum's facebook page, anyway? Am I a "friend" of the forum facebook page? And am I a "friend" as "peregrina2000" or as my real self?). In any event, the post that Ivar makes on facebook then connects my forum post to the facebook system. I get that. But the one thing that still mystifies me is how my posts as "peregrina2000" wind up being linked to my facebook page which is under my real name. Surely that isn't something that Ivar does, so the computer must "know" that peregrina2000 and I are one and the same?

I'm a slow learner in this tech world, so I apologize for always being the lowest common denominator. Laurie

Different identites are connected by the e- mail address that is behind your Facebook and your Forum account.
If you think this is a problem try using different e- mail addresses for FB and the forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Different identites are connected by the e- mail address that is behind your Facebook and your Forum account.
If you think this is a problem try using different e- mail addresses for FB and the forum.
The users e-mail address in the forum is private and is not share with anyone... and especially not with facebook.

The exception might be (I am not sure) for those that sign up in the forum with their facebook account. The new forum has this possibility to sign up in the forum using a facebook account... this is not the case for Laurie since she has been a member way before this was possible...

Are we sure that the post I make in the forum facebook page and the private facebook account is linked? It does not sound like it should be possible...

Will look into this some more..

The forum facebook page is this one:
https://www.facebook.com/CaminoDeSantiagoForum?ref=ts

Saludos,
Ivar

Hi, Ivar,
I have asked a couple of my facebook friends to let me know the next time it happens, so then maybe we can figure it out. On my own facebook page, I have so few entries that I was able to scroll back through all of them and I found no entry that links me to the forum facebook page.

This is not a huge deal, just another little incremental loss of control, I suppose. I actually am facebook friends with several members of the forum, so it's not that I object to the cross-fertilization. It's just that I feel a little odd thinking that anyone on the forum facebook page will know who I am and more about me than I would ordinarily share with total strangers.

Happy New Year! Laurie

Personally, I think that whatever we post publicly, whether Forum, fb, or any other activity that we may contribute to, in this hype-tech world, nothing remains private! It's all part of the game! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally, I think that whatever we post publicly, whether Forum, fb, or any other activity that we may contribute to, in this hype-tech world, nothing remains private! It's all part of the game! Anne
Very very true - nothing remains private...

Hi, Ivar,
I have asked a couple of my facebook friends to let me know the next time it happens, so then maybe we can figure it out. On my own facebook page, I have so few entries that I was able to scroll back through all of them and I found no entry that links me to the forum facebook page.

This is not a huge deal, just another little incremental loss of control, I suppose. I actually am facebook friends with several members of the forum, so it's not that I object to the cross-fertilization. It's just that I feel a little odd thinking that anyone on the forum facebook page will know who I am and more about me than I would ordinarily share with total strangers.

Happy New Year! Laurie
Sounds good. If you find something that is worth sharing, please share here. :)

The forum posts that are created here in this forum are all public. Everyone can see them... That said, if we feel uncomfortable that I post links to forum posts on the forum facebook page, I can stop doing so... maybe I can only post links to the forum blog?

Example:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/rain-gear-recommendations/

Please let me know what you think...

Saludos,
Ivar

Ivar:

First, Happy New Year to you and to all the forum!

Second, I understand all of this issue fairly well having worked with advanced technology for most of my professional career. I am also aware from direct professional experience that national and local law enforcement, national intelligence, and large corporate organizations from around the world continually monitor and shift through all social media sites on a 24 x 7 basis and have done so for a decade or more. Global governmental monitoring and data-mining started worldwide as soon as these sites went on line. It is all part of the hugely complex job of pieceing together a jig-saw puzzle to try to ascertain then predict what the "other fellow" is seeking to do.

What is distills down to for me is this. I maintain a skeletal presence on Facebook only so I can keep up with the goings on of nieces, nephews and other younger friends from around the world who seem to live their entire lives in this social media. I do not use an actual avatar so facial recognition software will not work.

My friends and relatives rarely check e-mail anymore, preferring the instantaneous feedback from social media like Facebook. So, if I want to know who is where, and doing what, and with whom, I must consult Facebook. But, my interactions are few and mostly read-only.

I maintain a very slim profile and nil personal information on Facebook and have my privacy options set so only Facebook "friends" can see anything personal. I do not share ANY private information that is not otherwise available. I recommend that others of like mind go to their Facebook settings and learn how to do the same.

It infuriates the people Facebook is trying to sell personal information to for marketing and other purposes, but it may cut down on your e-mail spam. Where DO you think they get your e-mail address anyway? Not all spam comes from illegal hacking. There is a HUGE behind-the-scenes aftermarket in selling contact information to marketers. Before computers, people would by mailing lists from your motor vehicle agency and telephone company. No, it is all done electronically.

Most of us, including me, usually do not read the really fine print when we use the internet. But buried deep in the language whenever you register for any site, service, company, etc. is a clause that gives the provider of the service your implied permission to give out everything about you, unless you opt out.

So, find out how to opt out of third-party data-sharing, and do so. This will be site-specific. This will not stop your national police or intelligence services. They have access to almost everything anyway - seriously they do - and have done for years. But, it will slow down the commercial side of things, from whence all the annoying stuff and fraud comes.

CONVERSELY, I share a LOT MORE with my extended "Camino Family" here in the forum. I write things for them that I would NEVER write on Facebook. The reason is simple. On the Camino Forum, the great majority of people I am sharing with are like-minded. We have shared a life-altering experience or are seeking to. This forum gives us an opportunity to share our inner-most, private thoughts with our "Family." I certainly do not want these posts to show up in Bing or Google searches. I trust that this forum and the members of my extended "Camino Family" are not data mining for commercial or other purposes.

Although I am well aware that this forum is public and anonymous guests can read anything, I would much prefer revealing as little of "my onion" to the world (writ global) through Facebook or other social media. If you must post personal posts from this forum to Facebook, I recommend two things that may be possible for you to sort out:

1. Strip the posters user's name and avatar from the material posted to Facebook, providing only - say an alphanumeric code for the original poster.

2. Do not repeat the posts in full, as they sometimes contain proper names. These names can spawn further social media or Google searches. Why give the buggers a head-start? I recommend posting only the link to the post you refer to. Is there anyway to place these posts in a separate, fire-walled place so Facebook-originating readers cannot wander all over the forum, peeking into user profiles and the like?

Stated otherwise, I am seeking for you to REDACT the original authorship of the post once it leaves your direct control in the forum. Yes, I know that there are people out there who can see through this thin veil of secrecy - hacking. But we need to start somewhere. If for no other reason than to appeal to those of us who do not like social media, per se.

Separately, another security feature you might think about is only allowing registered users, who have provided full true names and contact information in their personal profiles access to anyone else's profiles. I do not mind sharing this with other "Camino Family" members, but again, I do not want it available to third-parties coming in from social media, or from any other portal.

Thanks for listening.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So, pasting together Tom and Ivar's comments, it seems that though Ivar never shares our email addresses with anyone outside the forum, Facebook is smarter than we are and has figured out that my forum account is operated by the same person as my facebook account. And it is possibly the case that even if I change the email address that I use for the forum, they may still be able to link the two via face recognition software (I do have a photo both on facebook and here, but they are different shots). Is that possibly right?

Tom, I also treat facebook different than the forum and really would like to keep them separate. Do you recommend that I use another email address as the email that identifies me on the forum, or am I right that you think that won't hel anything? So confusing, thanks, Laurie

Facebook Inc. (FB:US) was sued over allegations it systematically intercepts its users private messages on the social network and profits by sharing the data with advertisers and marketers.

When users compose messages that include links to a third-party website, Facebook scans the content of the message, follows the link and searches for information to profile the message-sender’s Web activity, violating the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and California privacy and unfair competition laws, according to the suit.

The practice compromises privacy and undermines Facebook’s promise of “unprecedented” security options for its messaging function, two Facebook users said in the complaint filed in federal court in San Jose, California.
Something like this could be capturing Forum data when it goes to Facebook, and the user name connected to it...

Something like this could be capturing Forum data when it goes to Facebook, and the user name connected to it...

Thanks, falcon. By "user name", do you mean my gmail address? Because that is the only thing that my facebook account and my forum account have in common. So, maybe the thing to do is to change the email address I have associated with my forum profile?????

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't know what data Facebook is getting. If thieves can steal 40 million credit card numbers, names, security codes, and PINs from a major American department store, then when Facebook mines data from content, it can get all content as well as cookie data that it normally is collecting. It collects things you start to write on Facebook, but never actually post. If a cookie contains your Forum name, and some content contains your email address, Facebook can combine the two. Do not underestimate the amount of data that is being collected, or the ability of computers to mine it. Everything that you have ever done on Facebook, include clicking "like" on any website, is retained permanently. Nothing is deleted even when you can no longer see it. Facebook is forever, as are all the friends and connections that you have made over the years. According to Facebook terms and conditions, they can do virtually anything with it, though the users filing the lawsuit seem to think there is a limit, and the limit has been breached.

Delete cookies regularly, avoid Facebook, and post only things anywhere on the internet that you would not mind having reposted as a headline in your local newspaper! As an authentication for a credit card, I was asked what street I had lived on at one time. The correct answer was a street I lived on about forty-five years ago, long before the computer era.

It is all out there!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back