• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Facilities on Spanish buses...

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
It must be all the threads on relieving oneself on the Camino. I find myself worrying about the five or six hours on an ALSA bus from Madrid to Pamplona. So, do ALSA buses have a bathroom or do they make stops long enough for the gringa abuela to find el banos?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ALSA buses have toilets in the rear stairwell. They are not large!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There will be at least one 15-minute stop at a bar/truck stop kind of place. The driver will need a break and a cafe con leche, too!

I travelled on an all-night ALSA bus from Santiago to Irun. We had a couple of comfort stops along the way. I didn't manage to sleep until about 4am- while Spaniards snored happily all around me- but I was very impressed with the comfort of the bus. It climbed up some of the more mountainous sections of the route with ease.
Margaret

We had a couple of comfort stops along the way.
Ditto Santiago to Madrid T-4. It was still the most miserable travel experience of my life!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
falcon269 said:
We had a couple of comfort stops along the way.
Ditto Santiago to Madrid T-4. It was still the most miserable travel experience of my life!!!

:lol:
Spanish buses are great. Comfortable and they drive carefully.
You should go to Nepal and try their buses. That's a miserable travel experience.
Just an example of how it looks like:
http://www.ottsworld.com/blogs/danger-curves-ahead/

Also many have wifi

Caminomary:

I prefer the train to the bus. It is more comfortable. You can walk around and the facilities are more spacious and private.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Took the all-night bus last week from Santiago to Barajas (leaving at 21.30) and they made stops every two hours. I took the bus instead of the train as ALSA offered me a special price of 35 euros versus the 50-60 euros for the train. I was lucky enough to have 2 chairs to myself but still slept awful. I will probably try the train (or plane depending on the price) next time.

I will probably try the train (or plane depending on the price)
You pay for what you get.

We took an ALSA night bus to Lisbon on our pilgrimage to Fatima, the driver woke me up at dawn to see the beautiful bridge going into Lisbon which was designed by the same designer as the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. The lighted bridge at dawn was one of the more memorable sight which you will not get by plane or train.

I take bus travel in Spain any day! the last bus I took was Burgos to Madrid; clean bathroom, movie playing (earplugs in every seat!), wi-fi, very comfortable seats, excellent drivers. The added convenience that most bus stations are very close to city center, so convenience over the train station. For less price the time is also a convenience, other than the AVE option, the bus option on a route is often the cheapest and fastest. A comfort stop is typical every 2-2.5 hours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've taken a lot of buses and a lot of trains, and also prefer trains hands down for mobility and comfort. But the talk of the bus "rest stops" reminds me of the time in 1972 when I took the bus from Madrid to Segovia. This is a whopping 95 kms, mind you, though the roads through the mountains in those days were not great. We had a half hour rest stop and the bus driver had a coffee and cognac!

For those who are over 60, the trains become very cheap with a Tarjeta Dorada. Tickets are 25% off M-F, 40% off Sat and Sun. Cercanias trains are 40% off all the time. The card costs 5 euros and is good for a year. I can't remember the exact price, but my train from Santiago to Madrid with a sleeping berth was under 30 euros a couple of years ago.

Buen camino, Laurie

Something for me to look forward to Laurie :wink: !

It was definately not my intention to bash the bus system as public transportation in Spain is wonderful and definately cheap compared to that in The Netherlands! I have taken many shorter, day bus trips with ALSA and other local bus companies and would do it again for sure.

The overnight train ride from Santiago to Madrid would have been 60 euros so I indeed exhanged 'cheap' for comfort.

Alsa offers first-class buses on the Santiago-Madrid route, with a 1 and 2 seat per row configuration, a packed lunch, an attendant bringing one coffee, juice, beer or wine, and screens showing Spanish films and television programmes. I still prefer the train for scenery, but the first-class buses are comfortable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.