• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Facilities on the Portuguese interior[ Lamego}

jh2

jh2
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances / Portuguese interior
I hope to take a hike Viseu to Chaves at the end of Sept 2015, information on this walk appears to be sketchy.
Could anyone who has done it help ? it seems to be a quieter path than most which may suit me but my concern is too remote without evening food /drinks ,would I have to carry provisions for the first half of this journey?? .Any assistance and reviews on this stretch would be appreciated .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@jh2, @amsimoes posts in this section seem to cover all your possible questions. The pdf's provide detailed route descriptions, references to accommodation and other facilities - bars, shops etc. There is also a reference to this website http://www.cpisantiago.pt/ though if your Portuguese is as fluent as mine you will be relying on Google Translate.

Happy planning & Bom Caminho

I hope to take a hike Viseu to Chaves at the end of Sept 2015, information on this walk appears to be sketchy.
Could anyone who has done it help ? it seems to be a quieter path than most which may suit me but my concern is too remote without evening food /drinks ,would I have to carry provisions for the first half of this journey?? .Any assistance and reviews on this stretch would be appreciated .
Hi, jh2,
I have been to almost all of the places on the route (not walking, though) and it is a very beautiful section of Portugal. Especially the Douro Valley. I hope to walk this route in the near future, and would enjoy hearing about your planning and then later about your actual walk. Bom caminho! Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, jh2,
I have been to almost all of the places on the route (not walking, though) and it is a very beautiful section of Portugal. Especially the Douro Valley. I hope to walk this route in the near future, and would enjoy hearing about your planning and then later about your actual walk. Bom caminho! Laurie
Laurie, I will endeavour to keep you informed on my Sept dander,quite looking forward to it .James

Laurie, I will endeavour to keep you informed on my Sept dander,quite looking forward to it .James
Ps I forgot to include that I intend to take this walk easy and take a few photos and relax a little as I go, previous camino experiences for me were about covering distance with evening vinos . This one I hope will be about travelling light, get a little fitter, eat/drink fairly healthy , take a bus if necessary to a more suitable pit stop,time to "smell the roses"and return to Ireland refreshed . My plan to date is arrive Porto 25/9 at 18:00 stay there that night,bus to Viseu Sat am, start walking maybe 160 km in about 8 days returning to Porto by bus from Chaves for Dublin flight 5/10 . How does this sound ? any views appreciated . James

HI, James,

Sorry that all I do is ask you more questions, and sorry that I can't help at all, but I'm wondering if you are having trouble coming up with manageable stages. Here's hoping that you find 8 equally spaced albergues, 20 kms each, but that is probably unlikely. Bom caminho, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
HI, James,

Sorry that all I do is ask you more questions, and sorry that I can't help at all, but I'm wondering if you are having trouble coming up with manageable stages. Here's hoping that you find 8 equally spaced albergues, 20 kms each, but that is probably unlikely. Bom caminho, Laurie
Laurie, the more I endeavour to research this trip the more confused I am .The distances between Alberge's range between 12 to 27 km ,some challenging terrain and it appears some stops with limited facilities . My view today is that I will be going not overly fit and build it up as I walk . I have a list of Alberge's and will obtain somewhere a handy detailed map so will decide stage length on a daily basis depending on weather/health/tiredness/hunger/accomadation/etc ,etc this for me as earlier explained is a no pressure dander . I realise you understand my dilemma and contrary to your worries I appreciate your questions. James

Hi Laurie
I think that this document can help.
There are alternative accommodation, except the 2nd day.
In the village of Mões in the restaurant "A Sineta" (very good food) I think it can provide accommodation indications or order a taxi.

AMsimoes
Thanks to amsimoes and Laurie for ideas on preparing this trip . It now seems to me to be a walk that one makes up as you go along . When one has a bus running to these towns one can't go far wrong . Obrigado James

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all! I'm about a year away from my Camino, but am in the process of pulling together a budget. Therefore, can anyone give advice on the potential costs of alburgues from Viseu through to SDC? Also a little bit about what they spent on food for the road would be most helpful.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Hi all! I'm about a year away from my Camino, but am in the process of pulling together a budget. Therefore, can anyone give advice on the potential costs of alburgues from Viseu through to SDC? Also a little bit about what they spent on food for the road would be most helpful.

Hi, CMSMackie,
I'm also thinking of walking this route next year, and a forum member, Grace, will be leaving soon. I think she will be reporting back with this kind of information. If there's anyone else out there with this information, I'm sure Grace will appreciate it as well. Bom caminho, Laurie

Laurie, Thanks for the reply. I'll keep watch for that information. Bom caminho, Catherine

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I believe alberge cost range 3 to 10 euros per night . Food daily costs variable ,depending how frugal you wish to be ,supermarket food purchased and eaten one could survive on 10 euros per day . My day typically coffee and toast at 10am 4euros ,lunch plus drink 8 euros,evening meal menu del dia 10 euros,few drinks 5 euros. Totalling 30 euros excluding alberge ,but these stops are the most enjoyable social events of the day

Hi all, looks like quite a band preparing for this camino in the future. I’ll do my best to keep a diary with relevant info so I can help you all out. As Laurie has said, the current ‘expert’ on the CPI seems to be @amsimoes. Aurelio has been awesome helping me get ready. Not long now. Expecting to start around 2-3rd October Cheers, Grace

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi James - I suspect you are getting ready to depart for Porto on the 25thSept. You must be as excited as I am.
Did you notice this recent post by Eduardo. He has completed the final stages of the CPI recently by bike. He has a few hints that may be useful for you
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-interior-2015-from-vila-real-by-bike.36370/
You’ll be a week ahead of me (I’m departing Viseu about the 2nd Oct) so feel free to post any difficulties you encounter! ;)
Cheers, Grace

Hi James - I suspect you are getting ready to depart for Porto on the 25thSept. You must be as excited as I am.
Did you notice this recent post by Eduardo. He has completed the final stages of the CPI recently by bike. He has a few hints that may be useful for you
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-interior-2015-from-vila-real-by-bike.36370/
You’ll be a week ahead of me (I’m departing Viseu about the 2nd Oct) so feel free to post any difficulties you encounter! ;)
Cheers, Grace
Hello Grace ,
Thanks for posting above which I found good . Re my plans : I keep dipping in and out of this site hoping to construct a definite plan however I find this difficult in bringing all the info together re stage length /climb difficulty / water availability/ cafe / restaurant availability beside alberge , at least one of these is isolated with no shop or cafe adjacent . How are your plans and if you have a definite itinerary I would love to see it . I am not so good on technology ( an age thing I'm told ) so it's unlikely I will post until returning home . James

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Inquiring minds would love to see this summary, too, if it's not impolite to ask. :D
Hi Laurie,
My summary is hand written at the moment but here’s the gist of it without the ‘fluffy’ notes and distances.
Of course I’ll fine tune it once I’ve finished and maybe add something to the resource section here.

I ‘ve included most of the ‘sleep’ options to give as much flexibility as possibility.

Viseu (Albergue Fortelo)- Almargem (Albergue - stay?)- Moes (Rural quinta da Rabacosa)- Ribolhos (Albergue opt if not staying in Moes but get food in Moes)- Vila Pouca (residencial Parque opt stay)- Bigorne (NO albergue) - Penude (Albergue stay) - Lamego (stay overnight hotel Sao Paulo)- Peso da Regua (walk from Lamego early and take morning train to wine region, stop at Pocinho station. return on next train after a wine!) - Santa Marta Penaguiao (Stay here in pension or continue another 6km if time) - Bertelo (Albergue, buy food in Santa Marta) - Vila Real (Albergue Seminario Diocesano or Hotel Miraneve) - Vila Pouca de Aguiar (Albergue at Parada de Aguiar 4km before here- best alb on this camino) - Vidago (Albergue @ bombeiros, good review) - Chaves (Albergue bombeiros or Pensao Flavia) - Verin (Albergue Ive stayed here before, awesome) etc on Sanabres to Santiago.

Some of the stops have been recommended by Aurelio such as the little train ride in Peso da Regua (see as follows) Cheers, Grace
Aurelio's suggestions:
1-I propose that you end one stage of the journey in the city of Lamego and visit the city - Lady's Sanctuary dos Remedios and the Cathedral (or Penude but are already over 5 km andIt is more difficult on a day you visit the city of Lamego and finish in the city Régua)

2 - The city of Lamego to the city Régua (I advise to sleep in this city in a pensão or hotel) is always going down, only 12 km.

3 - Visit the Douro River and the vineyards by train is a trip that you'll never forget in your life.
Take the train in Régua, from 11h14m or 15h09m, to the train station of Pocinho (the village has nothing to see), drink a water, beer or glass of port in the bar and return on the same train at 13h26 (reaches the Régua to 14h47m) or 17h22m of the train. The train is stopped at Pocinho station about 30 minutes and returns to the Régua.

4 - The next day you can make your way up to the city of Vila Real and stay at the albergue.
The town of Vila Real is not particularly beautiful, is a university town, with one or two churches.

3 - Visit the Douro River and the vineyards by train is a trip that you'll never forget in your life.
Take the train in Régua, from 11h14m or 15h09m, to the train station of Pocinho (the village has nothing to see), drink a water, beer or glass of port in the bar and return on the same train at 13h26 (reaches the Régua to 14h47m) or 17h22m of the train. The train is stopped at Pocinho station about 30 minutes and returns to the Régua.

Thanks for posting these notes, Grace. Edumad's and Aurelio's pictures are real enticements! I just want to second Aurelio's suggestion about the boat trip from Regua to Pocinho. I don't know if you plan to stop and spend time in Regua, but if you arrive and can get to the station for the 3 pm train, you will have several hours of R&R while watching the river views unfold. That would squeeze the boat trip in without a rest day. It's a little rickety train, but it takes you through what is IMO hands down the prettiest part of the Douro Valley. Particularly after Pinhao, when there are no riverside roads, just the train tracks, the views are absolutely beautiful. Pocinho has two cafes, one in the train station, one about two minutes walking up the hill. I've taken that ride three or four times and I'm always surprised that there are so many tourists on the train who get off at Pinhao, just where the real beauty begins. Bom caminho!Douro1.jpg Douro2.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Laurie,
My summary is hand written at the moment but here’s the gist of it without the ‘fluffy’ notes and distances.
Of course I’ll fine tune it once I’ve finished and maybe add something to the resource section here.

I ‘ve included most of the ‘sleep’ options to give as much flexibility as possibility.

Viseu (Albergue Fortelo)- Almargem (Albergue - stay?)- Moes (Rural quinta da Rabacosa)- Ribolhos (Albergue opt if not staying in Moes but get food in Moes)- Vila Pouca (residencial Parque opt stay)- Bigorne (NO albergue) - Penude (Albergue stay) - Lamego (stay overnight hotel Sao Paulo)- Peso da Regua (walk from Lamego early and take morning train to wine region, stop at Pocinho station. return on next train after a wine!) - Santa Marta Penaguiao (Stay here in pension or continue another 6km if time) - Bertelo (Albergue, buy food in Santa Marta) - Vila Real (Albergue Seminario Diocesano or Hotel Miraneve) - Vila Pouca de Aguiar (Albergue at Parada de Aguiar 4km before here- best alb on this camino) - Vidago (Albergue @ bombeiros, good review) - Chaves (Albergue bombeiros or Pensao Flavia) - Verin (Albergue Ive stayed here before, awesome) etc on Sanabres to Santiago.

Some of the stops have been recommended by Aurelio such as the little train ride in Peso da Regua (see as follows) Cheers, Grace
Aurelio's suggestions:
1-I propose that you end one stage of the journey in the city of Lamego and visit the city - Lady's Sanctuary dos Remedios and the Cathedral (or Penude but are already over 5 km andIt is more difficult on a day you visit the city of Lamego and finish in the city Régua)

2 - The city of Lamego to the city Régua (I advise to sleep in this city in a pensão or hotel) is always going down, only 12 km.

4 - The next day you can make your way up to the city of Vila Real and stay at the albergue.
The town of Vila Real is not particularly beautiful, is a university town, with one or two churches.
Hi Laurie,

Aurelio's suggestions:

My information suggests that there is an Albergue in Bigorne capacity 30 beds ex official CPI site ??

My information suggests that there is an Albergue in Bigorne capacity 30 beds ex official CPI site ??
James, I have asked Aurelio about the ‘albergue' in Bigorne and this was his reply. Hope this helps...
"This is because in Bigorne there is no albergue, only a bar where you can eat and drink (has a fountain close to the church with very good water). If you opt to sleep in Santa Marta de Penaguião, you can stay in the residential Oásis"

Thanks for posting these notes, Grace. Edumad's and Aurelio's pictures are real enticements! I just want to second Aurelio's suggestion about the boat trip from Regua to Pocinho. I don't know if you plan to stop and spend time in Regua, but if you arrive and can get to the station for the 3 pm train, you will have several hours of R&R while watching the river views unfold. That would squeeze the boat trip in without a rest day. It's a little rickety train, but it takes you through what is IMO hands down the prettiest part of the Douro Valley. Particularly after Pinhao, when there are no riverside roads, just the train tracks, the views are absolutely beautiful. Pocinho has two cafes, one in the train station, one about two minutes walking up the hill. I've taken that ride three or four times and I'm always surprised that there are so many tourists on the boat who get off at Pinhao, just where the real beauty begins. Bom caminho!View attachment 21161 View attachment 21162
Hi Laurie, Great photos! Can you explain a little more about the boat. Do you take the train to Pocinho and then a boat trip from there? xG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Laurie, Great photos! Can you explain a little more about the boat. Do you take the train to Pocinho and then a boat trip from there? xG

My first response was -- Boat, what boat? Then I saw that I had described the "tourists on the boat...." My mistake, Grace, I miswrote, there is no boat. It's entirely a train ride. You can get the train at Regua or Pinhao and then ride to the end of the line in Pocinho. Sorry about that (I have edited my post to remove the mistake. Laurie :oops:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back