• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

facing ankle surgery

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi all,

I walked 100 miles of the Camino summer of 2015, loved it, got hooked, and came back with a very sore ankle. A year on, it just wasn't getting any better.

As some of you may know, my husband died this past August, so one of the very first things I did when I got his health insurance tranferred over to me was to go to the podiatrist. I knew I had peroneal tendonosis, but when the podiatrist looked at me again, he told me I had a gigantic peroneal tuburcle (bone growth/spur) that needs to be shaved down, as well as an osteochondrial lesion that needs to be taken care of.

So, along with walking the Camino of widowhood, I won't be walking much at all after January 6! I scored a fantastic round trip summer airfair, LAX to London, June 19 to July 31, for $500 round trip. Now I wonder if I'll be healed enough by then to hobble slowly around and see much of anything.

I'm 48, diabetic, overweight, and have always tended to heal slowly anyway. Not looking forward to this ankle surgery, but it must be done. Anyone else faced ankle surgery? Thoughts, experiences, anecdotes much appreciated.

Cheers,
Katie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kate: My wife had ankle surgery about your age, it was the right move and in 6 months she was back to 90%. Keep the faith, and espically work on the diabetes as that can be really sacary. Hope to hear from you on a Camino somewheres.

Welcome back Kate.

No experience with ankle surgery although have spoken to several friends who have had various fractures and ailments. Their advice echoes mine from my experience of healing from a foot fracture last year:
  • do everything you can diet wise and otherwise to ensure that you are in the best of health prior to as well as after surgery
  • tell your medical team that you are walking the Camino in late June and ask for their assistance to help you meet this very important goal
  • ask for an honest prognosis of surgery outcomes and access to whatever rehabilitation resources are available to you
  • ask your rehabilitation team how they would treat an athlete undergoing your surgery and access these programs
  • be gentle and kind with yourself during this Healing Camino
  • be patient (ha! ha! play on words)
  • if non-weight bearing and immobilisation is required post-surgery ask how you can minimise any adverse effects as this can add to the rehabilitation time e.g. hydrotherapy and massage to prevent stiffness and muscle loss
  • all things are possible but the Camino will be there for you whenever you are ready so be sensible as well
  • check the terms and conditions of your airfare and travel insurance if you have it to see if you can defer or cancel if you decide to
  • if fit to travel but not to walk consider other options e.g. travelling by train to some of the Camino places en route to Santiago
Healing Caminos, like their namesake, are great unknowns... you can only do your best and then let go and let whatever will be Be...

I'm completely healed and up and walking long distances with a backpack again and I was told by many medical professionals that this would not be possible due to further damage from a delayed diagnosis. I did not have surgery but my foot was immobilised and non-weight bearing for 2½months.

Hope that your surgery goes well for you and that recovery is uncomplicated and timely. Stay positive. Keep us all posted on your prognosis and know that, just as on the Camino, you do not walk alone.

Remember that you can walk very short stages - or perhaps volunteer somewhere? Many albergues need help in the main season, and you will definitely feel connected to the Camino even if you're not walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Kate,

I had an ankle reconstruction 3 months ago and will start my first ever Camino around 21 March 2017. It has been tough but I've recently started walking without a brace and other general exercise (I love boxing classes). At the start I feared I'd never walk again but I'm now exercising for the first time in over a year!

Bear in mind there are a few key milestones and despite feeling like you'll never make it, each one brings more mobility, freedom and strength. I don't know how different your surgery might be but in my case ther were: getting into a "moon" boot meaning you don't have to rely on two crutches (doing things for yourself!); putting pressure on your foot for the first time; getting into as brace and walking freely; and recently, driving, walking without a brace and being able to properly walk (I.e. Further than a kilometer!!).

With just under three months until I start I'm more confident than ever I can do it one of the best things I've done for myself is being meticulous and unwavering in rehab; my exercises take an hour a day and are, frankly, boring, but each week I notice how much stronger my ankle is getting and I know I will be thankful once I start my Camino.

After all that I am trying to convince myself that the end of the day, I'd rather start walking and have to stop than wonder whether I could have bone it. Never forget that you are stronger (physically, emotionally and mentally!) than you think

It's good to see you back, Kate. Sending you all best wishes for a successful healing Camino. As @Wokabaut_Meri shows, it isn't easy but can be done.

I lost 60 pounds, and now have almost no ankle pain.
You what? Wow, @Falcon, that's a huge inspiration.
Funny how we obsess over ounces but most of us probably don't want to think too hard about reducing body weight. (I'm guessing...based on the relative number of posts about drilling holes in toothbrush handles versus losing love handles)

I've had ankle troubles since my camino last year--it's there all the time, but is much worse when I walk with a pack--which is basically instant weight gain. Since the ankle started playing up, I've generally been less active (for several reasons) and have gained about 15 pounds. It's a feedback loop and and I don't like where it's going (the more I weigh the harder it is to exercise, the more I weigh the lazier I get...), but I haven't done much to get the weight off. It's definitely time to get moving on this, so I appreciate the inspiration!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Kate,
Roughly a month and a half ago I encountered health problems with nerv(es) in my left leg. Got completely scared after 30 years of not even saw a doctor apart from visiting my relatives in hospitals. But there's some improvement now and that's what is important. Your head. Keep the spirits high and I bet you'll walk Camino again.

Take care!

Hope that your surgery goes well for you and that recovery is uncomplicated and timely. Stay positive. Keep us all posted on your prognosis and know that, just as on the Camino, you do not walk alone.
My sentiments exactly!

Hiked the camino w/ a replaced knee this past fall - not a whimper out of my knee. While rehab is essential, don't forget prehab - your surgery is soon, but do everything you can to be in the best shape possible before the surgery - it will improve your outcome and rehab considerably.
Buena suerte y buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I walked 100 miles of the Camino summer of 2015, loved it, got hooked, and came back with a very sore ankle. A year on, it just wasn't getting any better.

As some of you may know, my husband died this past August, so one of the very first things I did when I got his health insurance tranferred over to me was to go to the podiatrist. I knew I had peroneal tendonosis, but when the podiatrist looked at me again, he told me I had a gigantic peroneal tuburcle (bone growth/spur) that needs to be shaved down, as well as an osteochondrial lesion that needs to be taken care of.

So, along with walking the Camino of widowhood, I won't be walking much at all after January 6! I scored a fantastic round trip summer airfair, LAX to London, June 19 to July 31, for $500 round trip. Now I wonder if I'll be healed enough by then to hobble slowly around and see much of anything.

I'm 48, diabetic, overweight, and have always tended to heal slowly anyway. Not looking forward to this ankle surgery, but it must be done. Anyone else faced ankle surgery? Thoughts, experiences, anecdotes much appreciated.

Cheers,
Katie
Hi all,

Cheers,
Katie
Hi all,

Cheers,
Katie
Hi all,

Cheers,
Katie
Katie, courage girl! I had foot surgery June '16 am now back about 80 percent. At 66, it takes time, patience and perseverance to recover fully. I will do a solo first time Camino, being newly separated after 35 years. I'm lucky to have 10 weeks if needed. It's not a race after all... lol maybe we'll meet up along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back