• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fado club in Porto

CalgaryLynn

Time of past OR future Camino
I love Fado music and am looking forward to hearing some when I am in Portugal this fall. Does anyone have any recommendations for Fado clubs that I might check out? I am looking for the real Fado clubs - small, dark, smokey and tucked away in dark alleys. I went to a few in Lisbon when last in Portugal and heard some beautiful music.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love Fado music and am looking forward to hearing some when I am in Portugal this fall. Does anyone have any recommendations for Fado clubs that I might check out? I am looking for the real Fado clubs - small, dark, smokey and tucked away in dark alleys. I went to a few in Lisbon when last in Portugal and heard some beautiful music.
Thats a great question

. Type Fado into the blue SEARCH box at the top left of this screen and you will see links to several relevant posts. Happy research and eventual listening.

Last edited:
I am looking for the real Fado clubs - small, dark, smokey and tucked away in dark alleys. I went to a few in Lisbon when last in Portugal and heard some beautiful music.
The kind of real fado houses you describe can be found in Lisbon because that’s where fado comes from. I can’t say for sure but you are less likely to find those kind of places in Porto.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A search of Godgle for "porto fado music venues" throws up at least a dozen hits but most look more like restaurant floorshow than club. Best of luck finding something grittier. Coimbra has a great music scene, a local variant of Fado, if you're down that far.

The kind of real fado houses you describe can be found in Lisbon because that’s where fado comes from. I can’t say for sure but you are less likely to find those kind of places in Porto.

Yep, I just did a google search and all the Fadovenues come with the tags of " authentic " and " river cruises ". That makes me cringe.

To @CalgaryLynn : take a look at the small independent cultural centres or theatrehouses that often have young starting musicians on their program.
Good luck!

Before starting my Camino I visited a Port a tasting and Fado Event which was very good. Just google Port tasting and Fado and you should see the various offerings available

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My introduction to fado was at mass in the Algavre in the late 1980s. Is that possible? A fado mass? Or a mass sung by fado singers? In Tavira or Faro? Might be worth looking for such a thing if you feel that you're not getting the real deal in the so-called authentic places.

It's hard to describe how much I disliked it ... or how my heart sank when I realized that I was the only one who felt that way, and that this was destined to be the soundtrack of our family summer holiday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My introduction to fado was at mass in the Algavre in the late 1980s. Is that possible? A fado mass? Or a mass sung by fado singers? In Tavira or Faro? Might be worth looking for such a thing if you feel that you're not getting the real deal in the so-called authentic places.

It's hard to describe how much I disliked it ... or how my heart sank when I realized that I was the only one who felt that way, and that this was destined to be the soundtrack of our family summer holiday.
Try Mariza, she will possibly(?) change your mind. Not for everyone, that is for sure.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This is a bit of a long shot, but a few years ago, we were staying in central Porto for a couple of nights, and wandered over to the (quite trendy) market near the Music House. (Casa da Música). Looking at good old Google Maps, I think this is the Mercada Bom Sucesso.

It is one of those places where you buy ready-to-eat food/wine at stalls around the outside, and it has lots of tables (a bit like a North American food court, but WAAAY better food!) There was a stage at one end, and what seemed a semi-professional but very good fado group--singer plus the 3 traditional instruments--wandered in, mid-evening, and gave an impromptu concert. They were wonderful!

If you were in the area, and it was a weekend evening, you might want to check this out.

Bom caminho!

Yes, exactly like that....do you have a name?
That looks like the Galeria de Paris on Rua de Galeria de Paris, one of my favourite spots in Porto. A really atmospheric cafe/restaurant where you can catch jazz, poetry, fado and various impromptu acts, sometimes just background stuff like a guy tickling the ivories in the corner. The owner is a collector of all sorts of curios, displayed everywhere. Food gets mixed reviews but I love the ambience and can't go wrong with a big jug of wine, I always check it out when in the city...

That looks like the Galeria de Paris on Rua de Galeria de Paris, one of my favourite spots in Porto. A really atmospheric cafe/restaurant where you can catch jazz, poetry, fado and various impromptu acts, sometimes just background stuff like a guy tickling the ivories in the corner. The owner is a collector of all sorts of curios, displayed everywhere. Food gets mixed reviews but I love the ambience and can't go wrong with a big jug of wine, I always check it out when in the city...
Well, that is definitely going on my list. Thanks :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try Mariza, she will possibly(?) change your mind. Not for everyone, that is for sure.
I am not a big fan of some types of Fado or Canto Jondo for that matter. However if you want to try a contemporary take on Fado look up Dulce Pontes - Lagrimas

I torture my Kids with various types of obscure world music when I give them a lift in my car. Dulce Pontes' albums are one of the few they do not complain about

I am not a big fan of some types of Fado or Canto Jondo for that matter. However if you want to try a contemporary take on Fado look up Dulce Pontes - Lagrimas

I torture my Kids with various types of obscure world music when I give them a lift in my car. Dulce Pontes' albums are one of the few they do not complain about
Beautiful voice, thanks for the recommendation. I have never heard of her.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back