• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fado in Lisbon AND Porto

peregrina2000

Staff member
You probably know that fado is a traditional Portuguese style of music, frequently very melancholy, with a very distinct voice and tempo. It originated in the "mouraria" (the Alfama, the moorish part of Lisbon) and is usually involved with saudade (a Portuguese word that's hard to translate but means a kind of gripping melancholy nostalgia). Here's a youtube link to a very popular and wonderful modern fado performer, Mariza.

Anyway, there are many very touristy spots in Lisbon that perform fado, but they are in restaurants where you must buy an expensive and usually very bad dinner, and worst of all for pilgrims, the singing beging at 11 p.m.

There is now a one hour performance that begins every evening at 7 pm in a small theater in both Lisbon and Porto. I've been to several of these performances and they are professional and give a good introduction to the genre. Here's the link: http://www.fadoinchiado.com/

Highly recommended!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie, Fado is such a great style of music and it really defines the Portuguese people, just like Flamenco speaks for many Spanish people. Not all relate, true, but the world is so much better for these contributions of art! Letting other people know about this and adding the background information that you have, makes it very meaningful and hopefully there will be an interest among many Pilgrims to go and see a great performance of Fado!

Ultreia!

Mary

when you speak of fado style of music. you got to think about amalia rodrigues who was known in portugal as the rainha de fado (queen of fado). she was most inflential in making fado popular. she received a state funeral in portugal upon her death.
i hope every peregrinos who do the caminho portugues will at least stop by and when in portugal listen to some of her famous songs - lisboa antiga, solidao, coimbra, barco negro, uma casa portuguesa.
i was introduced to fado style of music by a french expat school teacher who used to live in mozambique and portugal. and i enjoy it thoroughly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello laurie and mary,

I am very impressed with your knowledge of things european. The two of you must have travelled frequently all over the world. Of fado style of music, it is very popular in portugal, the western part of spain and france. I hope we can start a subject too on the music of edith piaf.

Fyi, i was educated in the us and left in 1977 to work for a multinational in europe and decide to stay here. I have lived in rome, bordeaux, ireland and london. So i am very much interested in the cultures of europe. I speak several languages, unfortunately not portuguese. Give it time i will learn as i am planning a caminho portugues to start from lisboa via fatima to oporto to santiago.

I'm glad to see so many people from abroad to know something from my country. Wonderful :)

Just to warn you people about two things:

The so called Tourist traps that peregrina2000 talked, are usually that: traps. But it depends of the restaurant and the show. There are some restaurants that offer you a Fado and Folklore Show, plus the Dinner for 45€ (all included from entry’s, to wine and desserts).
I usually advise people to search in the old parts of Lisbon if they want to see the real Fado. Sometimes, you might get a surprise with the "street fado" that you'll find on a small traditional taberna, in the middle of Bairro Alto.

About the Fado in Chiado, they set up an wonderful show, at a very good price. Right now the tickets have a cost of 16€ (has you can see on their website). But be aware of these information’s that I'll pass to you: you should make a reservation in order to have access to the show. This because many times what happens it's that the auditorium it's full, and you can reach there and have no place. So book it previously. You can do it online or via phone.
The other thing, the show starts at 7PM, but I advise you to reach there by 6:30PM, because there isn’t no marked seats, so if you want to grab a good seat, you have to "fight" for it . So be early in there. :lol:

I hope that If somebody visit Lisbon, that they say something to me, we could chat a little bit and I could show you the city for free :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We had a nice fado experience the other day in Coimbra. Just one hour ,starting at a decent peregrino time 18h00 with excelent musicians (authentic Portugese guitar and nylon stringed classical guitar and a conservatorium schooled singer) A lady explained everything very clear in Portugese and English and afterwards a glass of port wine was offered. Cherry on top of the cake was the beautiful song " Coimbra"
Maybe a bit touristical but a great happening.In the beautiful historical center of Coimbra nearby the cathedral in the Fado Center.

Hello kinkyone,

Thanks for the info about mariza. I knew of her. But there will never be another amaliia, the greatest of all in fado style of music not only in portugal, but in the whole world.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back