• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cigarette butts and snap decisions

Time of past OR future Camino
Next Camino Ingles Ferrol
Morning all,

I’m slightly contemplative this morning.

Having made peace with the decision to walk the Camino in a few weeks and discovering that I’m no longer afraid of being alone on the road or scared at the prospect of walking in solitude.

I’ve done a 20k walk last weekend, alone, it was glorious. Realised that a friend had also moved to where I ended up so had a lovely impromptu reunion.

Fast forward to now, doing more walks with gear that I have to see if it will work for the trip. My shoes are a little too small to be used with my socks, but then I bought thinner hiking socks. Trying that out, might just work!

Took a 30l ice climbing pack, fits great but the padding on the hip straps are just a little out of place. Found removable hip padding off another pack I have, seems to do the trick!

All in all, I might just be able to get away with the gear I own. Very pleased as that is what I had hoped to be able to do.

So anyway, onto this week. I made a snap decision to resign from work. It’s a long story but the bottom line is the culture is difficult to work with. I had realised that and handed in my notice at the start of 2020. I was given the opportunity to rescind that when Covid hit. My role is very much back office support for the organisation so I was well utilised that year, for the London office as well as offices internationally.

Anyway, my decision came about because the values of the organisation, does not reflect my values, nor does it reflect the written values of the company. I can’t reconcile that within myself. I walked and walked and decided that I needed to let go.

I headed off to Waterloo to catch a train to Kew, on the way I messaged an ex-colleague to tell him the news. In my preoccupied state I dropped a cigarette butt at the entrance to the station and was called back for an on the spot fine. Totally my fault, just annoyed at the timing. Trying not to feel like the universe is out to get me.

Then in my rush to get as far away from this as possible I booked the wrong train ticket. Kew to London rather than London to Kew. Hard not to judge myself now as that was completely me not paying attention to what I was doing.

Decided to walk from here to Kew then come back by train. It will mean I don’t waste the ticket, I feel like I cannot throw money away at this point, a littering fine is £100 🫣

So now as I am about to walk for the second day in a row, to make sure all my gear and my feet can cope with the Camino, I’m wondering what I will do with my freedom?

Thanks for getting this far. Writing into the ether has a beautiful affect of lightening the load. I feel unburdened at the enormity of my decision. I’m hopeful that things will pan out and that I will end up where I am meant to be.

Have a wonderful day all.
Fi3E163172-1991-4EC7-B33A-4674EFD3DA3D.jpeg
My view as I write this

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Morning all,

I’m slightly contemplative this morning.

Having made peace with the decision to walk the Camino in a few weeks and discovering that I’m no longer afraid of being alone on the road or scared at the prospect of walking in solitude.

I’ve done a 20k walk last weekend, alone, it was glorious. Realised that a friend had also moved to where I ended up so had a lovely impromptu reunion.

Fast forward to now, doing more walks with gear that I have to see if it will work for the trip. My shoes are a little too small to be used with my socks, but then I bought thinner hiking socks. Trying that out, might just work!

Took a 30l ice climbing pack, fits great but the padding on the hip straps are just a little out of place. Found removable hip padding off another pack I have, seems to do the trick!

All in all, I might just be able to get away with the gear I own. Very pleased as that is what I had hoped to be able to do.

So anyway, onto this week. I made a snap decision to resign from work. It’s a long story but the bottom line is the culture is difficult to work with. I had realised that and handed in my notice at the start of 2020. I was given the opportunity to rescind that when Covid hit. My role is very much back office support for the organisation so I was well utilised that year, for the London office as well as offices internationally.

Anyway, my decision came about because the values of the organisation, does not reflect my values, nor does it reflect the written values of the company. I can’t reconcile that within myself. I walked and walked and decided that I needed to let go.

I headed off to Waterloo to catch a train to Kew, on the way I messaged an ex-colleague to tell him the news. In my preoccupied state I dropped a cigarette butt at the entrance to the station and was called back for an on the spot fine. Totally my fault, just annoyed at the timing. Trying not to feel like the universe is out to get me.

Then in my rush to get as far away from this as possible I booked the wrong train ticket. Kew to London rather than London to Kew. Hard not to judge myself now as that was completely me not paying attention to what I was doing.

Decided to walk from here to Kew then come back by train. It will mean I don’t waste the ticket, I feel like I cannot throw money away at this point, a littering fine is £100 🫣

So now as I am about to walk for the second day in a row, to make sure all my gear and my feet can cope with the Camino, I’m wondering what I will do with my freedom?

Thanks for getting this far. Writing into the ether has a beautiful affect of lightening the load. I feel unburdened at the enormity of my decision. I’m hopeful that things will pan out and that I will end up where I am meant to be.

Have a wonderful day all.
FiView attachment 130666
My view as I write this
I hope you made it on to the camino and away from the big smoke. (London)

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.