• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Fall 2021 Canadians heading overseas are getting a digital certificate

• Thread starter Former member 91017
  • Start date
OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 91017

Hot off the presses, from my local Metro News Media paper:
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says fully vaccinated Canadians will soon be able to get a government document that will certify their COVID-19 vaccine history for the purpose of international travel.

The document, expected to be ready by the fall, will be digital, with an option for those who can't or don't want a digital certificate.

Mendicino says it will include data on the type of vaccines received, the dates, and the location.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says fully vaccinated Canadians will soon be able to get a government document that will certify their COVID-19 vaccine history for the purpose of international travel.

The document, expected to be ready by the fall, will be digital, with an option for those who can't or don't want a digital certificate.

Mendicino says it will include data on the type of vaccines received, the dates, and the location.Not holding my b
Not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mendicino says it will include data on the type of vaccines received, the dates, and the location.
YAY!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

At least it’ll say CANADA on it. My Ministry of Ontario 2 paper confirmations will probably make a few European border agents scratch their heads as to where Ontario is 😂🤦‍♀️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe I’ll get a map of Canada ready on my phone to be able to show them! 😄

Do not do this-- they will see the word Saskatchewan and get very distressed! Canadian geography puzzles many otherwise educated Europeans. I have found that telling them that Ontario is just to the west of Québec works well.

Do not do this-- they will see the word Saskatchewan and get very distressed! Canadian geography puzzles many otherwise educated Europeans. I have found that telling them that Ontario is just to the west of Québec works well.
😄 yes that’s true, the French know a lot about Québec. Good idea!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I will be very interested to see the level of detail on the certificate. I was off the mark quickly when vaccine rollout started and the word was get the first available dose.

So Astra Zeneca it was (which I am happy with) however my Ontario certification pages show dose 1 COVAX (manufactured by the Serum institute in India) and dose 2 from the Belgium plant.

Many EU countries do not currently recognize my dose 1 i.e. Portugal whereas my dose 2 is recognized by all EU countries.

Supposedly both have exactly the same vaccine components…argh!

So while I welcome the Canadian certification I would also welcome a little less detail! 😊

Guy

I will be very interested to see the level of detail on the certificate. I was off the mark quickly when vaccine rollout started and the word was get the first available dose.

So Astra Zeneca it was (which I am happy with) however my Ontario certification pages show dose 1 COVAX (manufactured by the Serum institute in India) and dose 2 from the Belgium plant.

Many EU countries do not currently recognize my dose 1 i.e. Portugal whereas my dose 2 is recognized by all EU countries.

So while I welcome the Canadian certification I would also welcome a little less detail! 😊

Guy
Yeah... this is a big question...
Spouse had the AZ shot first too, and Pfizer second, but he was lucky and his first AZ was out of Belgium. I have other more pressing health conners so I was Pfizered in April and in June... my concern is, "Will my own double-dose be 'expired' by the time I am supposed to leave for Spain on Dec. 31?"
Dunno.
Will we be able to receive boosters in later fall?
Dunno.
But at least we are getting the certificates that should make the running around to get paperwork for work and travel less time-consuming, etc.

Unfortunately, many Canadians received an AstraZeneca produced in India ( Covishield ) and I am told many countries do not accept that jab. Further, they maybe some countries who do not accept a mixed vaccine ( USA ). Good luck to everyone trying to do the Camino this year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have confidence that the documentation will be sorted out. That is an important reason that I don't have plans for any travel in 2021.
Whereas I expressed a concern earlier I fully agree with you C clearly and am simply sitting on the sidelines for 2021. The rate of change is so high presently…hopefully 2022 is much clearer.

Guy

Unfortunately, many Canadians received an AstraZeneca produced in India ( Covishield ) and I am told many countries do not accept that jab. Further, they maybe some countries who do not accept a mixed vaccine ( USA ). Good luck to everyone trying to do the Camino this year.

True, but that has little to do with the document. The document is meant to make it easier for those of us with the approved vaccines to cross borders that require documentation.

The mixed-dose shots are unfortunate in terms of who is and is not accepting them, but -- speaking from my public health hat -- they were the absolute best we could do at getting the raging dangers under control domestically. If we had made policy decisions based on desires for travel to foreign destinations, the tail would have been wagging the dog, and many more people would have died or have been too sick even to *consider* travelling at home, or returning to work....

My dear spouse is a mixed-dose guy. We still don't know if Portugal is on or off the table for him -- just because of the situation on the ground there, and their policies... plus his heart condition that prompted us to get the Gen-X party mix for him as his best chance to live a better/safer life here at home.

On balance... he's OK with not having his CP experience this year so that we can go out for food, return to rock climbing, and he can return 2 days a week to his office where he loves seeing colleagues.

Other people's mileage may vary, but honestly, the fact was that we did not have all the MRNA on hand that we needed back in late winter and early spring so we did the best we could....

I am *grateful*.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

It’s about time!!!!! But with a federal election just announced yesterday, the wheels of government will tend to slow down. I’m not holding my breath that this vaccine passport will still be available for the Fall. While I downloaded several APPS to get a Covid QR code for international travel, all apps require precise travel information to be entered in the respective APPS in order to obtain those codes. I’ve laminated my proofs of Covid vaccination and plan to use paper copies for proof in case APPS don’t work or are not availble.

It is going to be digital so that would make it a much quicker turnaround. Can't remember where I read it but they will be using the ARRCAN app or something similar so most of the work is already done. We shall see. Only time will tell.

Guy
If you read the article, it tells you exactly the information that will be on the certificate. Name, dosing, where given etc. etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you read the article, it tells you exactly the information that will be on the certificate. Name, dosing, where given etc. etc.
Thanks for clarifying…one should always read before asking specific questions! At the moment a number of EU countries will not recognize the mix of vaccines shown on the future certificate. Hopefully that will change in time!

Guy

It’s about time!!!!! But with a federal election just announced yesterday, the wheels of government will tend to slow down. I’m not holding my breath that this vaccine passport will still be available for the Fall. While I downloaded several APPS to get a Covid QR code for international travel, all apps require precise travel information to be entered in the respective APPS in order to obtain those codes. I’ve laminated my proofs of Covid vaccination and plan to use paper copies for proof in case APPS don’t work or are not availble.
What apps have you downloaded for international travel if you don't mind me asking? We are flying into France and then to Biarritz and SJPdP and have only the Health Pass with QR code for travel in France and the ArriveCan app for coming home. Walking the CF first and then to Lisbon to walk the CP.

What apps have you downloaded for international travel if you don't mind me asking? We are flying into France and then to Biarritz and SJPdP and have only the Health Pass with QR code for travel in France and the ArriveCan app for coming home. Walking the CF first and then to Lisbon to walk the CP.
SpTH app or Spain Travel App
Is the one which seems most pertinent. Like all apps, you need to upload the precise vaccine info you have from paper copies. So you still need to carry paper copies

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
True, but that has little to do with the document. The document is meant to make it easier for those of us with the approved vaccines to cross borders that require documentation.

The mixed-dose shots are unfortunate in terms of who is and is not accepting them, but -- speaking from my public health hat -- they were the absolute best we could do at getting the raging dangers under control domestically. If we had made policy decisions based on desires for travel to foreign destinations, the tail would have been wagging the dog, and many more people would have died or have been too sick even to *consider* travelling at home, or returning to work....

My dear spouse is a mixed-dose guy. We still don't know if Portugal is on or off the table for him -- just because of the situation on the ground there, and their policies... plus his heart condition that prompted us to get the Gen-X party mix for him as his best chance to live a better/safer life here at home.

On balance... he's OK with not having his CP experience this year so that we can go out for food, return to rock climbing, and he can return 2 days a week to his office where he loves seeing colleagues.

Other people's mileage may vary, but honestly, the fact was that we did not have all the MRNA on hand that we needed back in late winter and early spring so we did the best we could....

I am *grateful*.
If this of help: While the CDC in the US does not seem to recognize Astrozeneca vaccines (presumably because they were not made in the profitable US), this morning Princess Cruiselines told us they would recognize the Astrozeneca double vaccine as fully valid (perhaps because we are Canadians). It seems private companies use more common sense than certain governments do.

It is going to be digital so that would make it a much quicker turnaround. Can't remember where I read it but they will be using the ARRCAN app or something similar so most of the work is already done. We shall see. Only time will tell.
ArriveCAN is the name of the app. But you can’t fill it out unless you have confirmed returned airline confirmations…. And all the landing details. You need paper copies to fill in the info.

At least it’ll say CANADA on it. My Ministry of Ontario 2 paper confirmations will probably make a few European border agents scratch their heads as to where Ontario is 😂🤦‍♀️
Duh ! It’s next door to Alberta near the United States! Lol

Is the one which seems most pertinent. Like all apps, you need to upload the precise vaccine info you have from paper copies. So you still need to carry paper copies
I see that the app is only for air or water travel into Spain. As I am walking into Spain I will assume it does not pertain.

Any suggestions as to how I should describe where is Alberta, in Canada? Next to Texas or Florida?
I see that the app is only for air or water travel into Spain. As I am walking into Spain I will assume it does not pertain.
no it’s for returning to the promised land of Canada only! Lol

There are references to Portugal in earlier posts in this thread. My understanding from doing a bit of reading on this is that as a Canadian one does not require proof of vaccination to enter or transit in Portugal, but one does need to have proof of a negative test within either 48 or 72 hours of departure, depending on the type of test. My understanding may not be accurate. Can anyone confirm or deny the accuracy of my understanding? Both the Lisbon Airport and TAP airlines websites seem to be saying this, or at least that is my interpretation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are references to Portugal in earlier posts in this thread. My understanding from doing a bit of reading on this is that as a Canadian one does not require proof of vaccination to enter or transit in Portugal, but one does need to have proof of a negative test within either 48 or 72 hours of departure, depending on the type of test. My understanding may not be accurate. Can anyone confirm or deny the accuracy of my understanding? Both the Lisbon Airport and TAP airlines websites seem to be saying this, or at least that is my interpretation.
Right now? True... and Canada says that entry is inadvisable to Portugal... for what it's worth.
But the certificates seem to be anticipating a medium near future in which countries will want to be sure that visitors are vaccinated.

Any suggestions as to how I should describe where is Alberta, in Canada? Next to Texas or Florida?

no it’s for returning to the promised land of Canada only! Lol

For Alberta, I would suggest a reference to the Rocky Mountains, and that it is between Vancouver and Montréal. An Egyptian friend offers that the ignorance of Europeans about Canadian geography is due to the lack of popular films set in Canada (I understand that there are a number of Japanese movies-made-for-TV where the silent but dependable lumberjack saves the life of a sincere Japanese woman, whose accountancy-focussed life meets new dimensions, but that's no help to the Canadian pilgrim).

It isn't a question of whether or not to carry paper copies. I too will be bringing my paper copies but whether or not said paper copies will be acceptable to all those who ask for proof. The paper copies for both my jabs are completely different. Even the paper copies are inconsistent. It would be nice to have a consistent and acceptable proof.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ArriveCAN is the name of the app. But you can’t fill it out unless you have confirmed returned airline confirmations…. And all the landing details. You need paper copies to fill in the info.
Too lazy to google correct name. ;)

That is what I understand too. We need the test for coming back to Canada not for entering Portugal.

Will try to keep up to date while we are in France, Spain and finally Portugal. Vaccination cards in hand. France Health Pass QR code on app and paper. Moving target for sure but not stopping us. Two more sleeps and off we go!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
About this proposed version of a " vaccine passport" for Canadians: If he holds to his word, Jason Kenny (premier of Alberta) has several times expressed his total rejection of such a document for Albertans and he has authority over Alberta Health Services, which holds the records of (my) vaccinations in Alberta. I wouldn't hold my breath. In addition, the proposed date, "ready by the fall" currently seems more to apply to the apparently imminent federal election, which will put many things on hold. I have my paper documents, to take copies with me, which is just as well, as I shall be flying to Spain on Sept. 9, a couple of weeks before the beginning of fall. I already have the British Passenger Locator form, the Spanish SpTH form and the ArriveCAN app to sort out before I fly out of here. One more official document to struggle through and I shall collapse under the weight of them.

Last edited:
Hi @CalgaryLynn: I’m not sure about that. I’m double vaccinated, so I will have my vaccination certificates with me, but I believe that right now we need a negative test to enter or transit in Portugal. We need another negative test to get back into Canada. The requirements could obviously change between now and my early October departure.

About this proposed version of a " vaccine passport" for Canadians: If he holds to his word, Jason Kenny (premier of Alberta) has several times expressed his total rejection of such a document for Albertans and he has authority over Alberta Health Services, which holds the records of (my) vaccinations in Alberta. I wouldn't hold my breath. In addition, the proposed date, "ready by the fall" currently seems more to apply to the apparently imminent federal election, which will put many things on hold. I have my paper documents, to take copies with me, which is just as well, as I shall be flying to Spain on Sept. 9, a couple of weeks before the beginning of fall. I already have the British Passenger Locator form, the Spanish SpTH form and the ArriveCAN app to sort out before I fly out of here. One more official document to struggle through and I shall collapse under the weight of them.
I think we are talking about 2 separate issues. Many provinces in Canada are getting certificates for their citizens to get entry into concerts, museums (places where crowds will be found) within their province.

Kenney is saying no to the Provincial certificate.

The federal government is talking about an international travel certificate to enter into other countries (ie in place of our paper certificates), just like the EU has with their digital certificate.

Two separate certificates/passports......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
These regulations are complex at every level. Although fully vaccinated, I must get a covid test just to transit through Heathrow Airport, not leaving the security zone. And I have no idea what regulations will apply to transiting through Frankfurt Airport or even entering Canada, on my way home. British regulations are particularly difficult to understand, because almost all apply only to people actually heading for Britain, but rules for those transiting still involve both an antigen test and a Personal Locator Form. I am vividly reminded of a science fiction novel about hell, Inferno by Niven and Pournelle, where one torment involves having to fill in multiple pages of forms in one's own blood. Then they immediately get burned.

Last edited:
What would be the point of an app if one still needs to carry around paper copies?

Guy
I too stepped up ASAP to get Covishield then AZ ……Covid free thankfully and I too thought hmmmmm….why do they have to say which AZ after all lots of Brits received Covishield, not to mention 35 million Indians, many Asians, etc. Apparently Serum India institute has submitted the paperwork to the EMEA for approval but one must follow the money…..if EMEA approves Covishield then it can be marketed in Europe which they don’t want…..follow the money….PFIZER and Moderna have both increased their vaccine price for the EU. Health Canada only reviewed the SII Covishield manufacturing data, no clinical or bio equivalence data were required given it’s only a licensed to manufacture agreement with AZ so not even a “generic” (was my area of professional expertise). It’s a freakin pandemic yet politics and big business still dominate us. Anyway, I’m traveling to Portugal in October and will pay the $200 extra fee for the required PCR test and all the rapid tests I’ll need along the way. 🤦‍♀️

Thanks for clarifying…one should always read before asking specific questions! At the moment a number of EU countries will not recognize the mix of vaccines shown on the future certificate. Hopefully that will change in time!
The issue of vaccines produced and marketed outside of the EU has been blown out of proportion in the media, also thanks to the CEO of the Indian company who produces the AstraZeneca vaccine in licence and thanks to the confusion between vaccines admitted to be marketed in the EU and vaccines admitted as proof of vaccination for the purpose of travelling into the EU - two totally separate issues.

It all has little to do with political intention or big pharma money. It's bureaucratic nonsense created by the 27 national administrations of 27 EU countries where each of them wants to do their own thing. The EU has little say over this, they can only make recommendations. And two weeks ago they strongly recommended in a letter to the 27 EU governments to get their act together pronto and put a stop to this nonsense and adopt a more common line. A totally common line is unlikely but this is not about AstraZeneca in its various incarnations but more about vaccines like Sputnik and many other vaccines that are either already in production line or still in the pipeline.

These regulations are complex at every level. Although fully vaccinated, I must get a covid test just to transit through Heathrow Airport, not leaving the security zone. And I have no idea what regulations will apply to transiting through Frankfurt Airport or even entering Canada, on my way home. British regulations are particularly difficult to understand, because almost all apply only to people actually heading for Britain, but rules for those transiting still involve both an antigen test and a Personal Locator Form. I am vividly reminded of a science fiction novel about hell, Inferno by Niven and Pournelle, where one torment involves having to fill in multiple pages of forms in one's own blood. Then they immediately get burned.
At this time with all the regulations, it is probably smart to get a Covid test to insure negativity regardless of what the rule of the minute is.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

What about if we’ve planned to go early September? Not sure whether to go ahead with my trip or not at this point.

How did you get the health pass QR code for entry into france? I’m flying in hopefully on Sept 6 and still trying to figure out how to do this. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back