• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Follow up on Portugal Attack from September 2020

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone have follow up information on the attack on a pilgrim between Lisbon and Porto in Sept. 2020? Did they ever catch the perpetrator? I am considering that walk but am curious as it seems there have been more attempts of attack in that area. I listened to a podcast and they suggested taking a train in that area to avoid it. I am not an alarmist and have walked three caminos with no fear. This one feels more sinister and reminiscent of Denise on the Frances. Would love a follow up if anyone knows. I am not looking for a dialogue on Camino Safety, I feel much safer there than in most US cities. Just wondering the outcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I walked the Camino Portuguese starting in Lisbon and ending in Santiago in September 2021 and I had not heard anything about this particular report. While I can’t comment on this particular incident, this Camino seemed very safe.

I walked the Camino Frances and felt the same. This particular attack was particularly concerning for women. I heard about it on a podcast of tips for the Portuguese Camino (link below). The date of the caminosantiago.me interchange is on the first attachment.
My husband and I walked the Camino Portuguese starting in Lisbon and ending in Santiago in September 2021 and I had not heard anything about this particular report. While I can’t comment on this particular incident, this Camino seemed very safe.

Attachments

• A600D7D8-24F5-4537-B7D2-C675F022315F.png
    A600D7D8-24F5-4537-B7D2-C675F022315F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Until today i had not read or seen that thread. Also I have never walked this route.

Although there have been some threads about issues on the Portuguese route (flashers/ masturbaters). How often things actually happen on that route is unknown, since the people who post here are probably a small number of the total people who walk it. The reality is it could be better or worse. But there are a few people on here that keep their ear to the ground on these things.

As ever, there are many Camino routes to walk. You could still probably do the Portuguese route, but it might be as well to try and find a group to walk with if it worries you. Or you could choose a different route. The choice is yours.

But ultimately it boils down to you and weighing up the risks and rewards.

Also you could try PM'ing peregrina2000. She appears to have kept on top of it and may have more info than was posted publicly.

I have not posted anything on these threads because unfortunately I have no updates to give. I understand the anxiety that reports like this cause, absolutely, and I in no way want to be dismissive of its horror.

I am considering that walk but am curious as it seems there have been more attempts of attack in that area.
Are you referring to similar incidents since the 2020 incident? There was another awful attack in the Sacavem vicinity, in 2017, which was also reported on the forum. Unfortunately neither of the women who reported these events have been on the forum in a long time. But I haven’t heard of any other events since then, and would be interested to hear what you have heard or read, @Wanderingfriend. I have walked this stage several times alone and I remember it going along a canal paralleling the river, having a lot of abandoned homes in ruins, and being an apparently perfect spot for a lot of illegal trash dumping. So I think we will all be very happy when the river walk comes on-line and we can all avoid this section.

I don’t believe that the re-routing has anything to do with the events, but it is certainly another reason to support the new boardwalk/river route.

Are you referring to similar incidents since the 2020 incident?
I heard about it on a podcast of tips for the Portuguese Camino (link below).
Since this is my own podcast, it refers to the 2020 incident that @trecile linked to above. I have not heard of any attacks since that time.

As is being discussed in multiple other current threads, the camino is being rerouted away from that area and the new path is expected to be in place this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back