• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fall Camino - Festivals & Holidays

LakeMcD

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15' Portuguese 16' GR10/Norte/Primitivo 17' Chemin LePuy 18' Salvador/Prim/Kerry Way 19'
I'm newly retired and am not tied to school schedules anymore, yahoo, my last 5 camino were all in the summer. We are planning a Fall (ish) camino with a start date window of late August to early September. Will start in SJPD and likely head up to Oviedo once we reach Leon to walk the Primitivo, and finish in Muxia. I'm open to suggestions that would sway our start date such as; weather, festivals, cultural events, national holidays, cultural events.

Many Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You might be interested in this summary by @trecile , outlining the statistics for September. You can see that early September is the busiest time of year for departures from SJPP, but the numbers drop considerably by the middle of the month. (September 1-15 roughly covers weeks 35-37.) August is busy only for the Sarria-Santiago section of the Camino. So, it could be advisable to avoid starting in SJPP from about Sept 1 to 15. Certainly, aim for a mid-week start there.

I have walked twice in October and found it to be an excellent time to walk, with great weather until Galicia.

You might be interested in this summary by @trecile , outlining the statistics for September. You can see that early September is the busiest time of year for departures from SJPP, but the numbers drop considerably by the middle of the month. (September 1-15 roughly covers weeks 35-37.) August is busy only for the Sarria-Santiago section of the Camino. So, it could be advisable to avoid starting in SJPP from about Sept 1 to 15. Certainly, aim for a mid-week start there.

I have walked twice in October and found it to be an excellent time to walk, with great weather until Galicia.
Very informative and am indeed surprised by the numbers. Might have to consider a different route?

What was the weather like for you in Galicia?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, technically, you would still be walking a camino during summer since fall does not start until September 21/22. 😉. I believe that is also when Logrono celebrates the Rioja Wine Harvest Festival/festivities of San Mateo.

Caleb (son) and I had no idea about the festival until after we arrived, but it was absolutely fun wandering around and enjoying all the live music and the carnival-like atmosphere near where all the lovely tapas bars are located.

Might have to consider a different route?
No, that's not necessary! Just plan to avoid starting those first two weeks of September. Late August and late September will likely be fine, in terms of crowds. The earlier start might have some hot weather in September.
What was the weather like for you in Galicia?
Mixed - lots of rain, damp, cool, etc., but not every day, and it was November by the time I got there. Galicia tends to be wet at any time of year.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Said every pilgrim ever! 🤣

Galicia keeps us all on our toes! 2 years ago it rained every single day in November. This year November was beautiful! :cool:

Overall, though, walking in September and October in Galicia is pretty nice. @LakeMcD The rainfall for the year in Santiago de Compostela can look like this:

Source: https://meteobox.com/spain/santiago/statistics/

Of course, Santiago is one of the rainiest cities in Europe...

Here are some stats for Galicia itself: https://www.holiday-weather.com/galicia/averages

What's sad is to see that in January we only get an average of 3 hours of sunshine! o_O

Sept/ Oct are better. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, I agree with C Clearly. I had 5 days of non-stop rain until I reached Ribadeo. Then, I escaped to Camino Ingles. The weather there was mild and mostly dry, lovely walk, too.

We walked the Primitivo this last Oct and had perfect weather.
All Saints holiday was a 4 day weekend of activity and lodging rates skyrocketed.

I'm newly retired and am not tied to school schedules anymore, yahoo, my last 5 camino were all in the summer. We are planning a Fall (ish) camino with a start date window of late August to early September. Will start in SJPD and likely head up to Oviedo once we reach Leon to walk the Primitivo, and finish in Muxia. I'm open to suggestions that would sway our start date such as; weather, festivals, cultural events, national holidays, cultural events.

Many Thanks,
Gary
A festival that I have participated in three times (while hospitaleroing in Nàjera on the Camino Frances) takes place on November 15 and 16. There may be other activities in normal times but the fun part for pilgrims staying in the large municipal albergue, was the evening parade. Donning the costumes and wearing cabazudos (the large heads of animals and people) we followed pipers and drummers and a fellow shooting off fireworks while we gave out candies to children. The festival was in honour of Saint Gertrude, the patron Saint of shepherds, tailors and the recently dead. The town of Nàjera used to be a furniture making centre so the connection to this German Saint is clear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A festival that I have participated in three times (while hospitaleroing in Nàjera on the Camino Frances) takes place on November 15 and 16. There may be other activities in normal times but the fun part for pilgrims staying in the large municipal albergue, was the evening parade. Donning the costumes and wearing cabazudos (the large heads of animals and people) we followed pipers and drummers and a fellow shooting off fireworks while we gave out candies to children. The festival was in honour of Saint Gertrude, the patron Saint of shepherds, tailors and the recently dead. The town of Nàjera used to be a furniture making centre so the connection to this German Saint is clear.
Sounds like a lot of fun

Well, technically, you would still be walking a camino during summer since fall does not start until September 21/22. 😉. I believe that is also when Logrono celebrates the Rioja Wine Harvest Festival/festivities of San Mateo.

Caleb (son) and I had no idea about the festival until after we arrived, but it was absolutely fun wandering around and enjoying all the live music and the carnival-like atmosphere near where all the lovely tapas bars are located.
I would enjoy this, we shall see about the timing.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back