• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fallen pilgrims and helpers 2009

Ian Holdsworth

On 30 January at noon in Northampton there will be a Mass, lunch and pilgrim gathering to celebrate
the arrival of St James in Galicia. This is open to all; booking required, donation towards cost of meal. During this Mass we will pray for all pilgrims and pilgrim supporters who have died in 2009.
If you know of anyone who fits this and would like to include them by name, send details and a few words about them to ianholdworth@aol.com or post their details here. We will include any name we are sent. If you live close enough why not join us for the great day.
Ian Holdsworth: Peterborough Pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Ian.
I use to live in Peterborough for over three years and I had no idea there was any pilgrims there. After my Camino in 2008 I left UK and came back to Poland.
Anyways. I wish all Peterboroug Pilgrims a peaceful and happy Christmas.

Ian please see my post from last week on "A Camino Angel Goes Home." Paca Luna Tovar died last week, a real Camino stalwart from Sahagun. She would be honored to be part of your memorial service.

Another who died relatively recently is Alan Joyce, an American pilgrim who helped to write the CSJ guides to the Camino del Norte and Primitivo.

Thank you and the Peterborough pilgrims for doing this.
Rebekah Scott

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ian,

thank you for undertaking this. Unfortunately we have a parish conference booked here, otherwise I'd try to get over.

Andy

Dear Ian
I would be very grateful if you would remember my husband, Ian Kirkham, at your service.
Four years ago Ian was diagnosed with bowel cancer.We walked the camino in May 2007 to celebrate his successful completion of major treatments with chemo and radiation oncology. Following these treatments he was quite well for two years but became very ill in early March and died on 23 April 2009.
We sang John Buchan's pilgrims hymn at his service.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Tempest,
Thank you for sharing. Your husband, Ian, has finished the ultimate pilgrimage. I pray that you will find comfort and company at this, your first Christmas alone.

David, Victoria, Camino

Hello Ian,
I have two requests if I may? They are for Jean-Paul the young Dutch pilgrim who died walking to Roncevalles in February of this year. I know, from exchanges on this forum, that I and many others carried this young pilgrims memory in our hearts to Santiago. The second name is that of Joseph Carty, a fellow Irish pilgrim, who died just outside Ponferrada at the little village of Campo.
The memory of their deaths amplified my own feelings of gratitude and joy for our safe arrival, not just at Roncevalles and Santiago, but at each days end.
Thank you
Nell

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ian, if it´s not too late, please add the Rev. Canon Michael Wyatt to your list. He was head of American Pilgrims on the Camino right up to his untimely death this year, and did much to further the spread of Camino knowledge in North America.

Reb.

Please add Don José Maria, the famous priest of San Juan de Ortega who died in February 2008 and Don Jaime (Santiago Pilgrims' Office) who died a few months ago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just and idea.

What about a Book of Remembrance here within the website?
I have no idea what it would look like or how it would work its just an idea.

Regards
michael

Ad augusta per angusta

Just a reminder that the service where the prayers are to be offered is on 30 January 2010.
There is still time to add a name of a loved one who went on pilgrimage to our list.

Ian, I found this on one of the Spanish websites:

From Associations remember Jacobean pilgrims and friends along to this 2009 have died in the prime of his pilgrimage to the tomb of Sancti Beati Iacobi.

Lucio Cardillo, Italian pilgrim, 70, died on 26 May 2009 in Burgos. His family continued the pilgrimage on his behalf.

C.P.Pilgrim Italian cyclist, 34, died on 3 June 2009 in the vicinity of Villadangos del Páramo (León), hit by a vehicle.

Angel Fernandez de Aránguiz, Pallottine priest and veteran pilgrim, popularizer of pilgrimage in Germany and promoter of youth (Orbigo Hospital, Foncebadón, etc), writer St. James (El Camino takes home), died at the age of 66 on 13 June 2009 at his family home in Bilbao because of a serious illness.

Pedro Fernandez FernandezVeteran pilgrim and hospitalero, 60, who had to stop in May 2009 in his hospitalería Samos shelter for feeling ill, died on 22 June 2009 in a hospital in Leon.

Juan José Cebrián Franco, Priest and canon of the Cathedral of Santiago, a researcher and author of works Jacobean (Until the End of the Earth. The roots of the Way [1993], bishops and archbishops of Compostela Iria [1997]), died at the age of 76 years on 24 July 2009 in Santiago de Compostela, because of a serious illness.

Brants Manuel ReyesVeteran pilgrim and hospitalero Madrid, 45, who died on 21 August 2001 while exercised in the hostel hospitalería Nájera (La Rioja), due to cardiac arrest.

Werner Josef Mönnigmann, German pilgrim Sassenberg, 60, died on 9 September 2009 at the hostel Azofra (La Rioja), because of a heart attack.

Werner Efferen, German pilgrim who came from Saint-Jean-Pied de Port, died on 13 September 2009 at Foncebadón (Leon).

Victor Lopez Villarabid Veteran journalist natural Sarria (Lugo) and contributor to the magazine Pilgrim, author of books on Jacobean Galician towns (Sarria, Portomarín, etc..) Died at the age of 72 years on 19 September 2009 at a hospital in Lugo because of a serious illness.

Alfons, Belgian pilgrim died on 29 September 2009 at the hostel of Mansilla de las Mulas (León), because of a heart attack.

Romain Floener, Luxemburg pilgrim who performed the Portuguese Way, died in late September 2009 for O Porrino (Pontevedra). His fellow met Camino pilgrimage on her behalf on 3 October.

Hello Ian,

Please add Martin J Corry to your list. A copy of his funeral notice is attached:

"The death has occurred of Martin J. CORRY (Ó Comhraí) of Lucan Heights, Lucan, Dublin
Fomerly of Clohanmore, Cree, Co. Clare. Suddenly, in France, whilst on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Beloved husband of Mary (nee O’Dwyer) and dear father of Micheál, Eoin, Donal, Diarmuid and Julie; sadly missed by all his loving family, daughters-in-law Siobhán, Maeve, Regina and Michelle, son-in-law Diarmuid, his ten grandchildren, brothers John and Flannan, sisters Ann (Egan) and Margaret (McCann), relatives, neighbours and friends.

Removal from Cunningham’s Funeral Home, Lucan to St. Mary’s Church, Lucan this Saturday evening, September 19, arriving at 5pm. Funeral on Monday, September 21, after 11am Mass, to Esker Cemetery, Lucan. "

Martin and three of his sons were among the pilgrims who stayed at Le Esprit du Chemin on 11 Sep 2009. Martin and each of his sons said that they were going on the camino to look after the others. He died above Orisson on 12 September 2009 on the first day of his pilgrimage.

He was in our thoughts for the whole of our camino.

Kevin

I count seven people who died at pilgrim hostels last year.
The Federation recently added a componenet to hospitalero training sessions to address this possibility. Hospitaleros, take note!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All who posted prayer requests will be pleased to hear that we did pray as you requested at
the Pilgrim Mass of Peterborough Pilgrims today 29 Jan at noon. Ian

I know I am too late to this thread. I am remembering a pilgrim I met in Puerta La Reine in April 2009. A group of 3 German speaking men and we all joked that I was going to sleep with them that night. One man named Leopolde from Austria flirted and said very naughty things to me in French. The next morning out to Estella, I joked with them again and said I wanted to sleep with them that night. I didn't see them walking again.
The last few hours in Santiago, I ran into one of the 3 men in the streets. It was a bitter sweet reunion. He informed me that Leopold had died 10 days after I met him... Heart attack and in his sleep.

I don't know if anyone who walked from April 17- May19 2009 remembers him. I didn't see his name on the list.

Thanks for this. We will be gathering for St James this summer. It will be on 24 July 2010.
So we will remember him then.
Other names are welcomed.
Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome to celebrate the feast of Sant Iago with us. Mass at Noon followed by Lunch and fraturnal stuff. A group is then setting out to walk to Portsmouth as the first section to Sanitago de Compostela. This is also open to all comers.
Peterborough Pilgrims to Sanitago. :arrow:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
sillydoll said:

From Associations remember Jacobean pilgrims and friends along to this 2009 have died in the prime of his pilgrimage to the tomb of Sancti Beati Iacobi.

Lucio Cardillo, Italian pilgrim, 70, died on 26 May 2009 in Burgos. His family continued the pilgrimage on his behalf.

C.P.Pilgrim Italian cyclist, 34, died on 3 June 2009 in the vicinity of Villadangos del Páramo (León), hit by a vehicle.

Angel Fernandez de Aránguiz, Pallottine priest and veteran pilgrim, popularizer of pilgrimage in Germany and promoter of youth (Orbigo Hospital, Foncebadón, etc), writer St. James (El Camino takes home), died at the age of 66 on 13 June 2009 at his family home in Bilbao because of a serious illness.

Pedro Fernandez FernandezVeteran pilgrim and hospitalero, 60, who had to stop in May 2009 in his hospitalería Samos shelter for feeling ill, died on 22 June 2009 in a hospital in Leon.

Juan José Cebrián Franco, Priest and canon of the Cathedral of Santiago, a researcher and author of works Jacobean (Until the End of the Earth. The roots of the Way [1993], bishops and archbishops of Compostela Iria [1997]), died at the age of 76 years on 24 July 2009 in Santiago de Compostela, because of a serious illness.

Brants Manuel ReyesVeteran pilgrim and hospitalero Madrid, 45, who died on 21 August 2001 while exercised in the hostel hospitalería Nájera (La Rioja), due to cardiac arrest.

Werner Josef Mönnigmann, German pilgrim Sassenberg, 60, died on 9 September 2009 at the hostel Azofra (La Rioja), because of a heart attack.

Werner Efferen, German pilgrim who came from Saint-Jean-Pied de Port, died on 13 September 2009 at Foncebadón (Leon).

Victor Lopez Villarabid Veteran journalist natural Sarria (Lugo) and contributor to the magazine Pilgrim, author of books on Jacobean Galician towns (Sarria, Portomarín, etc..) Died at the age of 72 years on 19 September 2009 at a hospital in Lugo because of a serious illness.

Alfons, Belgian pilgrim died on 29 September 2009 at the hostel of Mansilla de las Mulas (León), because of a heart attack.

Romain Floener, Luxemburg pilgrim who performed the Portuguese Way, died in late September 2009 for O Porrino (Pontevedra). His fellow met Camino pilgrimage on her behalf on 3 October.

sillydoll said:

sillydoll said:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back