• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Falling ill on the camino

SallyandtheFox

Time of past OR future Camino
08/05/2023
So I should be Day 8 into my walk but I've gone down with some sort of nasty throat infection and fever and have had to spend the last 2 nights hauled-up in a hotel in Estella trying/hoping to recover soon - still feeling rotten, bedridden. (Have got supplies from local pharmacy)
Perhaps there are others feeling miserable and defeated and alone in other hotel rooms along the way? Here is your thread!
It feels so difficult to stop when all the momentum is to go on, although I know my body needs rest. Difficult not to put pressure on my body to hurry up and get better, when it needs the time it needs and my being impatient with it won't help. And it's made me feel super low - all the sad stuff coming. I know this is the path, too..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We've been sick on the Camino and it is even less fun than being sick at home. Last year we had Covid, but previous years it seems one or the other of us have had a variety of issues from food poisoning to bronchitis in addition to blisters and an ankle sprain.

Take care of yourself and rest. Seek medical care if symptoms get worse. Keeping you and all pilgrims in our prayers.

May you feel better soon @SallyandtheFox!
If you need to see someone, there is a Centro de Salud in Estella.
P.º de la Inmaculada, 39

The mind and heart are the part no doc can help. And you're right. All part of the path.
Holding things lightly is a skill, one that the camino sometimes forces us to learn.
Grf.
😑
Buen camino...May there be ease, and health!

(And do take a covid test. It's still around.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
May you feel better soon @SallyandtheFox!
If you need to see someone, there is a Centro de Salud in Estella.
P.º de la Inmaculada, 39

The mind and heart are the part no doc can help. And you're right. All part of the path.
Holding things lightly is a skill, one that the camino sometimes forces us to learn.
Grf.
😑
Buen camino...May there be ease, and health!

(And do take a covid test. It's still around.)
Thank you, that's helpful, I will visit if I don't perk up soon. Just walking there feels like a bit feat today!

60374bfc04549c518d1c507a741c0e3d.jpg

All the best and take time to rest!

If it makes you feel a wee better, I was all set to walk March 14th, but the day after walking to Zubiri I started feeling symptoms of acute bronchitis. Long story short I was holed up in a hotel in Zizur Mayor for about 9 days, had to get on antibiotics. Then I shook off another bug in Burgos. And of course, because the Camino wasn’t finished with me, I developed a minor head cold during the last week.

I got my butt kicked and when I started walking again, it was 10km or less. Very humbling and frustrating.

Rest rest rest… it’s all you can really do. Take care ❤️‍🩹😷

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So I should be Day 8 into my walk but I've gone down with some sort of nasty throat infection and fever and have had to spend the last 2 nights hauled-up in a hotel in Estella trying/hoping to recover soon - still feeling rotten, bedridden. (Have got supplies from local pharmacy)
Perhaps there are others feeling miserable and defeated and alone in other hotel rooms along the way? Here is your thread!
It feels so difficult to stop when all the momentum is to go on, although I know my body needs rest. Difficult not to put pressure on my body to hurry up and get better, when it needs the time it needs and my being impatient with it won't help. And it's made me feel super low - all the sad stuff coming. I know this is the path, too..
I understand your frustration, but do give yourself time to heal. I think @VNwalking 's advice is good too. Rule out covid to help your diagnosis and keep others safe. Hope your recovery is speedy. Buen camino

Currently walking from Lisbon and am just getting better from some bug - RAT neg ×2 - since last saturday (arrived thursday) Nasty sore throat and head cold. Used mask amongst others but continued walking as felt better upright than lying down. Feel like I've turned the corner today:) Hope you get better soon and can continue on - take care xx

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
 My heart goes out to you. Not at all what you'd planned, but as you have realised, it's part of what is & will be YOUR Camino. My suggestion: ball your eyes out, & let all the disappointments & sadnesses of your life wash out in the process. It will make room for a clearer, freer path ahead.
Your survival through this spot is part of your journey of resilience which can ultimately inspire yourself & others.
I pray that you feel better really soon. You are not alone in your little room. You have a huge family if us sending you our best wishes from right around the world.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
 My heart goes out to you. Not at all what you'd planned, but as you have realised, it's part of what is & will be YOUR Camino. My suggestion: ball your eyes out, & let all the disappointments & sadnesses of your life wash out in the process. It will make room for a clearer, freer path ahead.
Your survival through this spot is part of your journey of resilience which can ultimately inspire yourself & others.
I pray that you feel better really soon. You are not alone in your little room. You have a huge family if us sending you our best wishes from right around the world.
Thank you Valerie. I have had a very difficult year with multiple bereavements so there is a lot to work through. X

Thank you Valerie. I have had a very difficult year with multiple bereavements so there is a lot to work through. X
We hear you. You are in the right place, & this was meant to be. Take all the time/ time out that you need . The Camino has this way of being able to strip everything else away & putting us in touch with exactly what we need to deal with. Prayers are with you

Last edited by a moderator:

€60,-
I am currently alone in a hotel room feeling very low also.

I made a tough decision this morning when I was preparing for my day’s walk from Tosantos. I began my journey from St Jean with a broken toe (occurred 2 weeks from my departure but I felt I was still to go). I awoke in Grañon (beautiful time at the donativo at San Juan Bautista) with pain in front of my ankle on same foot as broken toe. I hobbled my way to Tosantos thinking it was just a kink I needed to work out of my foot (no pain standing, sitting; only when walking). But this morning there was no improvement. So, I took a taxi into Burgos (my mind was screaming and kicking to pass my two days of walking into Burgos). I have an appt. with a PT tomorrow and the dear young man at my hotel is asking me to seriously think about seeing a doctor before my PT appt.

So many emotions going through me currently…don’t want to give up my heart’s desire of 10 years to walk this journey.

Hoping the PT can get me on my way.

Cdeortega, fingers crossed it is a passing issue and the physio can help you on your way🤞 it is hard to give up on our dream and we press on longer than we should sometimes. It is good you are seeking help. Hoping all the sick and enjured recover quickly🙏 I am much better today, at least not sounding like I have the plague anymore!! Currently in Santerem on the CP. Love and hugs to all🤗🥰

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I made a tough decision this morning when I was preparing for my day’s walk from Tosantos. I began my journey from St Jean with a broken toe (occurred 2 weeks from my departure but I felt I was still to go). I awoke in Grañon (beautiful time at the donativo at San Juan Bautista) with pain in front of my ankle on same foot as broken toe. I hobbled my way to Tosantos thinking it was just a kink I needed to work out of my foot (no pain standing, sitting; only when walking). But this morning there was no improvement. So, I took a taxi into Burgos (my mind was screaming and kicking to pass my two days of walking into Burgos). I have an appt. with a PT tomorrow and the dear young man at my hotel is asking me to seriously think about seeing a doctor before my PT appt.

So many emotions going through me currently…don’t want to give up my heart’s desire of 10 years to walk this journey.

Cdeortega, I hear you. I pray that you hear you, too. You said that your mind is kicking & screaming for missing 2 days walking. You can always get transport back, or super-enjoy every other day to compensate. The Camino, as you are experiencing, takes on so much more than the physical feet moving us along the ground journey. This was always going to be your Camino right now. Maybe listening to your body's voice is something you are refining. Maybe this huge feeling of disappointment about missing 50km is allowing the floodgates to spill open much more load that you have locked up inside.
When you get to walk again, you will be amongst a new "batch" of pilgrims, whom you probably never have met if your walk had not been paused.
Take this time to allow every emotion & thought to explode or flow out. Observe & process gently, & give yourself lots of loving hugs. The Camino & life need mind & body to be best friends.
Love & prayers to all to whom this is helpful. Buen Camino, ( paused, play, or fast forward, but never backwards!!)

Sounds very challenging. You've done amazing well with a broken toe! Go gently with yourself x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Prayers for healing for all of you! So many of us have been there. My husband and I just finished our fifth Camino but had to have several rest days because he had knee pain. I resonate with the sadness and frustration of a day or days spent in a hotel room. Walking the Camino is hard but not walking is hard in a different way.

“Walking the Camino is hard but not walking is hard in a different way.” Well said.

After two days of rest, going to hospital for an X-ray to rule out another injury on top of my existing broken toe bone and seeing a fisio yesterday, my foot has not shown improvement.

Although my mind is still battling the situation, my heart knows that it is best to lay down my walking sticks and say goodby for now. I must trust that one day I will be able to return and complete my Camino.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Amidst my deep disappointment, I feel blessed that I have had this experience. The people and my journey to Burgos will forever remain in my heart.

We too feel poorly, both my husband and myself have horrendous coughs and had sore throats before it. It is getting us down and we are doing it together, so take heart that you are not suffering alone. I literally just said if we felt this poorly at home we would struggle to go to work let alone try to force our bodies to walk any distance. Take care and rest where and however you can. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
“Walking the Camino is hard but not walking is hard in a different way.” Well said.

After two days of rest, going to hospital for an X-ray to rule out another injury on top of my existing broken toe bone and seeing a fisio yesterday, my foot has not shown improvement.

Although my mind is still battling the situation, my heart knows that it is best to lay down my walking sticks and say goodby for now. I must trust that one day I will be able to return and complete my Camino.

Amidst my deep disappointment, I feel blessed that I have had this experience. The people and my journey to Burgos will forever remain in my heart.
Sending love. I understand, having felt this kind of disappointment in different but very similar circumstances. The heart hurts and weighing that against the gratitude you feel now (which will grow with time, if I am an example) doesn't stop the hurting. As was said earlier, this is your Camino, too. It's not just about the walk, as you know. Buen Camino on the rest of your journey away from the Camino.

I sincerely hope the PT can get you on your way. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

If that doesn't happen (edited to add, unfortunately it looks like it hasn't), don't write off your heart's desire. The Camino has been here for over a thousand years. It isn't going anywhere. It will be waiting for your return. Hold on to your credencial and return to Tosantos (or Burgos) when you can, get another stamp and continue your journey.

I sincerely hope the PT can get you on your way. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

If that doesn't happen (edited to add, unfortunately it looks like it hasn't), don't write off your heart's desire. The Camino has been here for over a thousand years. It isn't going anywhere. It will be waiting for your return. Hold on to your credencial and return to Tosantos (or Burgos) when you can, get another stamp and continue your journey.
Thank you, this is my exact thought.

Can one use the same credencial to continued where one left off even if months/over a year has passed?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, this is my exact thought.

Can one use the same credencial to continued where one left off even if months/over a year has passed?
Certainly one can. Many Europeans do this who walk the Camino in successive sections. The accepted practice is to get the first stamp when you resume in the last town or village you had stamped when you stopped.

Prayers for you, pilgrim xxxx And your toe. You will return. warm regards, Anna

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back