• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

False Start. Postpone Camino due to back injury

redwahine

Was scheduled to leave first week of May. As an older pilgrim, I started "training" by just walking a mile a day, then two miles per day. The week before my scheduled departure my back "went out". Couldn't walk or stand up. Now just recovering and starting to walk again. Very disappointed, but not giving up. I guess I should be thankful that it happened at home instead of on the Camino. A real wake up call regarding my physical condition since moving to Texas from Hawaii. I have a goal to depart this Sept. If not Sept, then next April or May. plan to walk slow and stop more often than the "normal" pilgrim. No time table. As log as it takes :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola!
Well, don´t give up!
Continue your training the way you can.
You are already part of the camino!
annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds like a good plan. The more you walk the stronger your back will become also.

As we age we often tend to let things slide and before we know it ten years have passed without doing any real exercise. Just watching children play it is amazing at how they twist their bodies, their ankles, joints, legs, arms, everything is moving and going in different directions. This is what a healthy body can do. When we have become really out of shape we have to go back to basics; try doing jumping jacks sometime or a push up. When you see athletes warm up they do little running exercises while scissoring their legs (which twists their waist, etc.). These little exercises allow us to regain the flexibility and ease of a healthy body enjoys.

Walking is great! Just don't forget the other little things you can do to get really healthy. The more you prepare for your Camino, the more physcially in-shape you are, the more you will enjoy your Camino.

Best of luck and don't let this get you down; just keep pushing and September will be here before you know it.

Check your footwear! I have suffered from my back for years, the best thing I personally have found was a good pair of hiking boots, boots and not low topped walking shoes-boots which I wear daily whenever I walk anywhere!. The boots support your feet and ankles and give the stability to remain trouble free upstairs. Me? I have walked from St Jean twice just returned from the Lisbon Santiago Camino Portugues bad back and all!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Don't give up. I, too, am a bit older planning my first Camino in September ( leaving SJPP 9/20).
While I have been walking 4 miles a day for about 15 years, I was not use to the longer distances , increased grades and weight on my back. So I need to train..I think I may have pushed it a bit too much too soon...got some early warning signs to pull back and now I am taking it MUCH slower. Slow but steady. And I plan to do my Camino that way. That said, " the best laid plans of mice and men.." I'm just praying for the best. One thing I did do was make a visit to a podiatrist for some preventive care, sensing I may need a little built up on my L arch. I'll probably be getting some inserts for my boots.
Good luck... get out early in the morning to do your walks .. that Texas sun can be very hot. Maybe I'' see you on the camino.
Debbie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for the support and great suggestions.

Scruffy-I will go back to my boots. Still breaking them in and thought the additional weight would put a strain on knees and back. But I think you have a good point. Thanks.

Michael B - yes, I think I will find a good warm up routine.

D Martin - visit the podiatrist for preventive care. YES.

Buen Camino All.

aloha wahine

we live in the same town and i am also doing the camino in late august so have to train in this lovely hot humid environment too. i have just been to my podiatrist--he is fabulous-- for orthotics and will hit REI today for new boots. i have been training in trail running shoes but without a heavy pack.

i have been training on the trails at memorial park (south side) as well at huntsville st park and also the stairs at sabine downtown.

we may not have any hills here but we have to make do with stairs and baby hills and just do lots of laps. and at least we will be heat trained! :)

PM me if you want to get together to train.

I feel your "pain" literally. We are planning to walk Camino Portugues October 14 and I found out yesterday I have herniated and bulging discs in my lower back causing me the same problems at you mention. At 50, I never thought I would have back issues this young! I am going through physical therapy now, walking as much as I can (we usually do at least a 6 mile walk once a week with smaller in between). We have an aggressive schedule in October to ensure we get to do some other things - we don't get vacation often, especially into Europe (we are in Michigan). I worry as you do about anything happening on the Camino, but God willing, all will be ok. I am using my trekking poles and they help alot. Also the right shoes that keep me stable even on rocky terrain and I practice with my back pack to get used to it.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back