• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family accommodations

Joe Query

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino del Norte (possibly) in June/July 2018 with family of four.
Walking with our family of four(2 adults, 4 year old and 2 year old). Would love to stay in albergues, hostels with double rooms or family rooms. Does anyone know of a list of accommodations for the Norte that contains cost-effective options for our young family? Any recommendations for our family?
Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Joe Query,

This Spanish Gronze web provides you with most accommodation options for the Norte. offers both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist accommodation. Cited by location progressing along the camino the pilgrim albergues are printed first in one ink and the tourist accommodation below in another. Tap each citation for further info such as address/web/email/cost etc. Booking.com links are also provided.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte

Happy planning and Buen camino to all of you!

Yes, the Gronze website lists some accommodation for each stage. The symbols show prices for individuals/couples and opening the link gives further information. This includes whether it is possible to book in some of the private albergues and contact numbers etc.
I think that the albergues will have to count you plus your children as 4 individual people because of fire regs etc and also the number of beds you would be using (no half price). As rooms in hostals are booked by the room not per person you might find a family room is economical for 4 of you.
Have a wonderful time and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for the info. We have been on the gronze site. Would you recommend booking far in advance for a June 1-30 walk? Looking at Zarautz, it appears most are already booked!

Falcon269-was your 4-year old in a stroller/buggy? How much did he/she walk? Our 3 year old daughter has taken to cycling rather quickly. We are thinking about bringing her bike along as we would also like to run sections. Do you think she could ride sections? When she's not riding, we'll strap the bike on the double stroller. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the info. We have been on the gronze site. Would you recommend booking far in advance for a June 1-30 walk? Looking at Zarautz, it appears most are already booked!
If you are absolutely certain about dates, or can cancel up to the day before then for peace of mind I would say book.
We have found this worked with booking.com but do make sure to read the terms of each room's booking the little ? is the link. Some places have a 7 day before term and some charge more than others etc and any changes must be through booking.com.

I think that the bike might be more nuisance than help. How about a 'carry step' that fits on the back of the pushchair?

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.