• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Family from Canada doing Camino Ingles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016
Camino Portuguese 2017
Hi,
We are doing our first camino pilgrimage in late August. My husband and I (mid 50's) and 5 or 6 of our 7 children (ages 12, 14, 17, 18 and 24 and maybe the 28 year old) are going to walk the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol. We ultimately would like to walk the camino Frances but some of our kids are in university and it just isn't feasible.
Anyway, we are excited and a bit overwhelmed (actually some of us are a lot overwhelmed). I am hoping we will have trained enough for that Bentanzos to Bruma leg as it seems we need to do it in one day. We have booked accommodations due to the size of our family and hope it is an incredible experience.
Buen Camino!
Susan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why is it not feasible with kids in uni? On the contrary, when does anyone h'ever have as much time off? Bit that does not matter, just getting 6 children and their parents on the road will be a lovely memory to cherish.

Susan how wonderful! I hope you and your family have a glorious life affirming journey. Please let us know how you get on - the camino for families is becoming increasingly popular and others will want to know your experiences.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino Susan and family! What a wonderful experience for all of you to share.

As you've booked your accommodations, you can take things nice and slowly on the more difficult sections. So no need to worry!

Hi,
We are doing our first camino pilgrimage in late August. My husband and I (mid 50's) and 5 or 6 of our 7 children (ages 12, 14, 17, 18 and 24 and maybe the 28 year old) are going to walk the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol. We ultimately would like to walk the camino Frances but some of our kids are in university and it just isn't feasible.
Anyway, we are excited and a bit overwhelmed (actually some of us are a lot overwhelmed). I am hoping we will have trained enough for that Bentanzos to Bruma leg as it seems we need to do it in one day. We have booked accommodations due to the size of our family and hope it is an incredible experience.
Buen Camino!
Susan
Hi Susan, wish you and your family a wonderful journey.
Buen Camino, Peter.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!
We have all accommodations booked and everything is supplied so that means we don't have to go and buy 8 sleeping bags - thanks Tia:) Of course, accommodations are costing us more than if we stayed in hostels but not having a guaranteed place to sleep was way out of my comfort zone. All our major transportation is booked, now I'm just working on learning how to get around on the local buses/trains and booking our flight out from Santiago. This week the physical training begins as we have a couple long days that scare me dreadfully but I'm hoping that we will doing some hiking in the Rocky Mountains this spring and that will help.
I will keep posting updates as I learn things related to hiking with a large family or definitely after we finish just in case there are other families out there wondering if they should do this with their children. Friends think I should start a blog but that seems like another big learning curve:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's quite a lite stroll and with a nice lacking of hills. Lots of wonderful sites though I'm sure you will love it. :D

Bus from Santiago to Ferol is very easy. There's one central bus station in Santiago and the counter people all speak okay English and the Ferol bus runs a few times each day.

EDIT:

This blog gives a good feel of the walk:
http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html

Last edited:
If your friends are interested in following along on your journey, you might find a blog is a very useful tool. Sit down at the computer with one of your kids for an evening and you'd have it sussed! In fact, they might even do the reporting for you while you're walking! If you're taking a smart phone, you can download an app that allows you to write your blogpost any time and then upload it when you have wifi. Some people will tell you it is too difficult to blog from a phone, but I managed to do it.
It's wonderful that you are able to get so many of your children together at the same time - I'm sure you'll cherish this journey.

Have a great Camino, we are starting our pilgrimage from Ferrol on Sunday 20th March and walking during Holy Week. Only two children 9 and 14 though but really looking forward to it. Just hope the weather holds out and there is no snow!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back